NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] So 18th Century Or Totally In?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Great Robertia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] So 18th Century Or Totally In?

Postby Great Robertia » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 am

1st Draft
[Title] So Last Century Or Totally In?

[Validity] Must have monarchy policy, Must not have banned internet

[Description] While most of @@NAME@@ has grown used to being a monarchy, the nation is seen as the odd one out when it comes to the international - and often republican - community. This couldn't have become even more obvious, when a group of foreign leaders - unsurprisingly headed by the infamous Supreme Leader of Blackacre - took to Twitcher and ridiculed the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ royals, accusing them of keeping their country 'undemocratic', 'totalitarian' and 'totally backwards'. As a result, you have convened your most trusted advisors to discuss a possible response to the situation.

[Option 1] "The problem we're facing is that monarchies are often viewed in an old-fashioned way," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an expert on @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ law who always drags @@HIS@@ entire collection of legal writings with @@HIM@@ wherever @@HE@@ goes. "We need to show the world that we're able to give a fresh, modern and democratic spin on being a monarchy. If we vastly increase the amount of constitutional limitations on the Crown's power, while simultaneously increasing that of our democratically elected systems of government, we'll preserve our traditions while showing those foreign peasants who here is really 'undemocratic'!"

[Effect 1] The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ monarch can't leave the palace without explicit, unanimous approval of Parliament

[Option 2] "You're going in the right direction, but why not take it a step further?" muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-respected @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ political commentator. "The President of Blackacre is an elected office, right? Why not show the world that instead of despising our enemies, we can learn from those snub-nosed buffoons? Electing a monarch isn't unheard of and it can greatly improve our democratic image to the rest of the world! Sure, an unsuitable candidate might be put onto the throne, but really, is it any different with a hereditary monarchy?"

[Effect 2] even the factory-worker down the street can become the monarch of @@NAME@@

[Option 3] "If we're considering electing our monarchs, why not just save ourselves the cost of yet another coronation ceremony by simply abolishing the monarchy?" comments @@RANDOMNAME@@, a history professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and vocal republican. "History has proven time and again the fallacies of having a King, Empress, Duke or whatever as your nation's head of state. With all respect to our royals, but the President of Blackacre and their ilk are right, it's time they got themselves a real job!"

[Effect 3] @@NAME@@'s former heir to the throne can be seen flipping burgers at DucDonald's

[Option 4] "Are we really going to let a bunch of troglodytes waltz over us like that?" asks General @@RANDOMNAME@@, who happens to also be your best friend from high school. "We've been far too soft with these uncultured swine and now they think they can get away with just about anything! Remember what we did with Big @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ when he bothered you back in school?" @@HE@@ smacks @@HIS@@ fist into the palm of @@HIS@@ hand. "We took down his little brother. Give the order, @@LEADER@@, and we'll bomb Blackacre's allies into dust before you can say 'lèse-majesté'!"

[Effect 4] fashionistas commenting negatively on the royals' outfits are promptly taken out by the military

[Title] So 18th Century Or Totally In?

[Validity] Must have monarchy policy, Must not have banned internet

[Description] While most of @@NAME@@ is comfortable with being a monarchy, the nation is seen as the odd one out when it comes to the international - and often republican - community. This couldn't have become even more obvious, when a group of foreign leaders - unsurprisingly headed by the infamous President of Blackacre - took to Twitcher and ridiculed the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ royals, accusing them of keeping their country 'undemocratic', 'totalitarian' and 'totally backwards'. As a result, you have convened your most trusted advisors to discuss a possible response to the situation.

[Option 1] "The problem we're facing is that monarchies are often viewed in an old-fashioned way," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an expert on @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ law who always drags @@HIS@@ entire collection of legal writings with @@HIM@@ wherever @@HE@@ goes. "We need to show the world that we're able to give a fresh, modern and democratic spin on being a monarchy. If we vastly increase the amount of constitutional limitations on the Crown's power, while simultaneously increasing that of our democratically elected systems of government, we'll preserve our traditions while showing those foreign peasants who here is really 'undemocratic'!"

[Effect 1] The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ monarch can't leave the palace without explicit, unanimous approval of Parliament

[Option 2] "You're going in the right direction, but why not take it a step further?" muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, a well-respected @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ political commentator. "The President of Blackacre is an elected office, right? Why not show the world that instead of despising our enemies, we can learn from those snub-nosed buffoons? Electing a monarch isn't unheard of and it can greatly improve our democratic image to the rest of the world! Sure, an unsuitable candidate might be put onto the throne, but really, is it any different with a hereditary monarchy?"

[Effect 2] even the factory-worker down the street can become the monarch of @@NAME@@

[Option 3] "If we're considering electing our monarchs, why not just save ourselves the cost of yet another coronation ceremony by simply abolishing the monarchy?" comments @@RANDOMNAME@@, a history professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and vocal republican. "History has proven time and again the fallacies of having a King, Empress, Duke or whatever as your nation's head of state. With all respect to our royals, but the President of Blackacre and their ilk are right, it's time they got themselves a real job!"

[Effect 3] @@NAME@@'s former heir to the throne can be seen flipping burgers at DucDonald's

[Option 4] "Are we really going to let a bunch of troglodytes waltz over us like that?" asks General @@RANDOMNAME@@, who happens to also be your best friend from high school. "We've been far too soft with these uncultured swine and now they think they can get away with just about anything! Remember what we did with Big @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ when he bothered you back in school?" @@HE@@ smacks @@HIS@@ fist into the palm of @@HIS@@ hand. "We took down his little brother. Give the order, @@LEADER@@, and we'll bomb Blackacre's allies into dust before you can say 'lèse-majesté'!"

[Effect 4] fashionistas commenting negatively on the royals' outfits are promptly taken out by the military
Last edited by Great Robertia on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Imperial State of Great Robertia

Current year: 2022 CE | Monarch: Empress Maria Roberta I | Chancellor: WIP | Capital: Saint Robertsburg | Government type: Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-modern tech
List of Authored Writings | Factbook on Great Robertia
Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:58 am

Grown used to being a monarchy? After thousands of years, you bloody well wanted them to
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Grown used to being a monarchy? After thousands of years, you bloody well wanted them to

Well, I thought I might include the line for both older monarchies and those nations that only recently picked the option to become a monarchy through the issues.

How would "While @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are comfortable with having a monarchy" sound, would that sound more ambiguous?
Last edited by Great Robertia on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current year: 2022 CE | Monarch: Empress Maria Roberta I | Chancellor: WIP | Capital: Saint Robertsburg | Government type: Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-modern tech
Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 am

Great Robertia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Grown used to being a monarchy? After thousands of years, you bloody well wanted them to

Well, I thought I might include the line for both older monarchies and those nations that only recently picked the option to become a monarchy through the issues.

How would "While @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are comfortable with having a monarchy" sound, would that sound more ambiguous?

The Republicans aren't used to having a monarchy
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Great Robertia wrote:

The Republicans aren't used to having a monarchy

"While most of @@NAME@@ is comfortable with being a monarchy" or "While a significant part of @@NAME@@ is comfortable with having a monarchy"?
Last edited by Great Robertia on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 am

That's better. Now for the title, having a monarchy is rapidly "So two centuries ago", not "so last century"

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:11 am

Australian rePublic wrote:That's better. Now for the title, having a monarchy is rapidly "So two centuries ago", not "so last century"

How about "So 18th Century Or Totally In?"

Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 am

Great Robertia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:That's better. Now for the title, having a monarchy is rapidly "So two centuries ago", not "so last century"

Yea

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Great Robertia wrote:

Yea

I'll work it all in into a 2nd draft asap then!

Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:38 am

New draft is up, comments and feedback are welcome!

Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 am

Any new thoughts or comments?

Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 am

The premise seems basically to be "So you're a monarchy. Do you want to change that?"

This is well covered in other issues already - there are in fact 9 monarchy reversals already in the game. A new issue about monarchy would need a more specific unique dilemma to sell it.

For recent examples, look at 1223, 1205, 1084, 1033.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Great Robertia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The premise seems basically to be "So you're a monarchy. Do you want to change that?"

This is well covered in other issues already - there are in fact 9 monarchy reversals already in the game. A new issue about monarchy would need a more specific unique dilemma to sell it.

For recent examples, look at 1223, 1205, 1084, 1033.

Hmm, I thought the Twitcher/international community thing would be a unique premise because I hadn't noticed it in the other ones. Because the others had a more inward causation and here it's prompted by the international community.

If that isn't unique enough however, I'll see if I can come up with something else. Perhaps I could focus more on the Elective Monarchy bit? Because I haven't seen that in any issue so far.

EDIT: A thought that occurred to me now, what if I expanded more on the international image trope? Would that create a more unique premise?
Last edited by Great Robertia on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads