NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Left At The Altar

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Left At The Altar

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 am

[TITLE] Left At The Altar.

[VALIDITY] Invalid for nations that banned marriage, Invalid for nations that don't have Marriage Equality, Invalid for nations that banned religion

[DESCRIPTION] Ever since @@NAME@@ said 'yes' to marriage equality, an increasing number of same-sex couples are exchanging their marital vows. Your nephew and his fiance are among them and due to their religiousness they wish to do this before God as well. On their way to the altar however, they are informed the priest has had a change of heart and refuses to conduct the marriage ceremony on religious grounds. Before you even had the time to blink, your distraught nephew and the stoic priest have dragged you onto the chancel, a church full of silent family members watching you with narrowed eyes.

[OPTION 1] "According to verse 1123a, paragraph 7891h, section 2238 delta-bravo in the book of Detergents, or was it Determination? Delirium?" begins @@RANDOMMALENAME_1@@, the priest who left the grooms at the altar, in a slow, monotone voice. "In any case, it is said by the holy scriptures that a man shall not marry another man like they would a woman. Or was it 'lay with a man'? Either way, I have the right to refuse to marry these two, as it is against my conscience and religious beliefs to do so. You can't force me." he pauses. "Or can you?"

[EFFECT 1] priests have stopped paying income taxes as they claim it strokes against their religious beliefs

[OPTION 2] "But what about our religious beliefs?" asks your nephew between violent sobs, his fiance trying to calm him down. "Our faith tells us that a marriage is void if it is not conducted before the face of God! We've spent weeks trying to find a church that would have us and now we risk our marriage being condemned in the face of the Divine! This refusal infringes upon our religious freedom, to practice our faith in a way that aligns with our conscience and beliefs! You have to protect our rights by forcing him to marry us, @@LEADER@@, you have to!"

[EFFECT 2] sermons are more often led by the parishioners than priests these days

[OPTION 3] "Alright, I've had enough of you lot!" suddenly your niece of five rises, often frightening the family with how eerily mature she is for her age. "While you stand here squabbling over nothing, I could have been discussing the validity of Kant's moral imperative with my fellow compatriots," she gestures to her cousins, one eating a booger out of his nose and the other burbling his lips with his finger. "If you would just ban the institution of marriage altogether, we could all save ourselves some irrevocably valuable time. Nietzsche's Apollonian and Dionysian dichotomy won't discuss itself, you know..."

[OPTION 3] 'divorce lawyer' has become a synonym for 'redundant'
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 am

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 am

Trotterdam wrote:#759

Ah, and I thought I had CTRL-F'ed all the possible key words for this issue. Ah damn it, this really sucks, I was really happy with this issue draft :( there are differences between the one you linked and this draft though
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:12 am

Even this is null and void, there are still want to point out
1. If you wish to make the priest specifically Christian, then use the correct Bible verses. Making it specifically Christian, but using incorrect Bible verses is insulting to everyone. If you don't want to make it specifically Christian, then keep in mind that an imam or a rabbi wouldn't be any less opposed to this than a priest would

2. Change of heart? He either agreed to it in the first place or he didn't. This is not something an experienced Christian priest would change his mimd about
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Even this is null and void, there are still want to point out
1. If you wish to make the priest specifically Christian, then use the correct Bible verses. Making it specifically Christian, but using incorrect Bible verses is insulting to everyone. If you don't want to make it specifically Christian, then keep in mind that an imam or a rabbi wouldn't be any less opposed to this than a priest would

2. Change of heart? He either agreed to it in the first place or he didn't. This is not something an experienced Christian priest would change his mimd about

1. It's not meant as an insult, it's a bit of satire like every issue has. The entire portrayal of Violetism in this game could be perceived as offensive but it's not, it's considered as a joke by most people and they understand all of this is meant to be with a wink. The Deuternomy bit is a small innocent joke, nothing else.

2. As someone who has been involved for years with the Catholic Church in the past, I disagree emphatically with you here. Even our most experienced priest wasn't sure about everything all the time and had moments where he agreed with something but a few days later - after having thought it over for example and or discussed the matter with someone else - they changed their mind or expressed a rethought opinion. Priests, Imams, Rabbi's, none of them are infallible. They're just as human as you and me and therefore have all the room and right to change their mind even if they agreed to something in the first place. Or sometimes it even happened that they were told from higher up that they couldn't do this or had to change their opinion/mind about something. I have seen it myself for years back when I was still part of the Catholic Church.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Aside from the deal-breaking duplication, this is a great issue. Please keep writing!
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:27 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aside from the deal-breaking duplication, this is a great issue. Please keep writing!

With the amount of ideas I have, I won't be stopping anytime soon :D thanks!

But I will abandon this specific draft as it is accidental duplication indeed. I really thought I had scoured thoroughly through the issues, but I will look even better next time!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads