NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED 7.10.19] Double Tap To Attack

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED 7.10.19] Double Tap To Attack

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Fairly topical, but also a long established issue. I don't think it's been covered, but could be wrong.

DRAFT 2:
TITLE:
Double Tap To Attack

VALIDITY:
Has a military

DESCRIPTION:
Blackacre -- a nation with less than cordial relations with @@NAME@@ famed for its dubious morals -- has shocked the international community with its recent bombing raids on military targets in the strategically inferior nation of Sableyard. The frequency and intensity of the bombing is considerable, but international condemnation is following the employment of "double-tap bombing" strategies, whereupon the target area is attacked with a second bombing run a short time after the first, with the express intention of attacking rescue crews and emergency workers.

OPTION 1
"This is a great opportunity to take the moral high ground," suggests your gleeful Minister of Optics, dancing on the spot like an excited five-year-old. "We just join with the international community in decrying the Blackacreans as barbarians, and make a public commitment to recognising that double-tap attacks are a war crime. In terms of geopolitical strategy, there's no better place to be than standing alongside the finger-wagging morally superior nations."

OUTCOME:
it's only okay to kill and maim your enemies if you are nice about it

OPTION 2
"Diplomatic protests are all well and good, but isn't it more important that we check Blackacrean aggression in general?" queries your Minister of Geopolitical Strategy, without looking up from the model fighter jet @@HE@@ is painting. "While Blackacre's nuclear arsenal make all-out war a non-option, we could definitely gift arms and logistics support to the brave Sableyardians to help them defend themselves. A squadron or five of fighter jets would give them a fighting chance."

OUTCOME:
the irony of "peacekeeping" as a casus belli is lost on @@PLURALDEMONYMS@@

OPTION 3
"While the Blackacreans are undoubtedly evil, one cannot help but note the speed with which they are attaining victory in Sableyard," notes General Alma Penny, fixing you with her slush-grey eyes. "One should not be afraid to learn from enemies, but we should seek to improve their strategies. Direct additional funding towards my Creative Warfare thinktank, and we will deliver to you more effective strategies still, from warheads that carry a delayed second and third explosive charge within a single ballistic device, to second-strike gun-drones, to chemical and biological agents that achieve the same objective even decades after the initial delivery. The goal of war is to win. Don't lose sight of that."

OUTCOME:
the price of peace is eternal soil contamination by military-grade toxins

OPTION 4
"Why are we so quick to be passing judgement on the actions of Blackacre?" complains isolationism advocate Greta Grusinskaya. "There's no such thing as the international community, only a multitude of nations that are responsible only for their own people. Our foreign policy should be one of non-interference and non-judgement, while demanding others respect our own sovereignty in turn. The so-called world stage is for actors and performers. Serious nations keep to themselves."

OUTCOME:
@@LEADER@@ is often misquoted as having said "I want to be alone"

DRAFT 1:
TITLE:
Double Tap To Attack

VALIDITY:
Has a military

DESCRIPTION:
Blackacre -- a nation with less-than-cordial relations with @@NAME@@ -- has shocked the international community with its recent bombing raids on the strategically inferior nation of Sableyard. The frequency and intensity of the bombing is considerable, but international condemnation is following the employment of "double-tap bombing" strategies, whereupon the target area is attacked with a second bombing run a short time after the first, with the express intention of attacking rescue workers and survivors returning to their destroyed homes.

OPTION 1
"This is a great opportunity to take the moral high ground," suggests your gleeful Minister of Optics, dancing on the spot like an excited five-year-old. "We just join with the international community in decrying the Blackacreans as barbarians, and make a public commitment to recognising that double-tap attacks are a war crime. In terms of geopolitical strategy, there's no better place to be than standing alongside the finger-wagging morally superior nations."

OUTCOME:
it's only okay to kill and maim your enemies if you are nice about it

OPTION 2
"While the Blackacreans are undoubtedly evil, one cannot help but note the speed with which they are attaining victory in Sableyard," notes General Alma Penny, fixing you with her slush-grey eyes. "One should not be afraid to learn from enemies, but we should seek to improve their strategies. Direct additional funding towards my Creative Warfare thinktank, and we will deliver to you more effective strategies still, from warheads that carry a delayed second and third explosive charge within a single ballistic device, to second-strike gun-drones, to chemical and biological agents that achieve the same objective even decades after the initial delivery. The goal of war is to win. Don't lose sight of that."

OUTCOME:
the price of peace is an eternal soil contamination by military-grade toxins

OPTION 3
"Why are we so quick to be passing judgement on the actions of Blackacre?" complains isolationism advocate Greta Grusinskaya. "There's no such thing as the international community, only a multitude of nations that are responsible only for their own people. Our foreign policy should be one of non-interference and non-judgement, while demanding others respect our own sovereignty in turn. The so-called world stage is for actors and performers. Serious nations keep to themselves."

OUTCOME:
@@LEADER@@ is often misquoted as having said "I want to be alone"
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The frequency and intensity of the bombing is considerable, but international condemnation is following the employment of "double-tap bombing" strategies, whereupon the target area is attacked with a second bombing run a short time after the first, with the express intention of attacking rescue workers and survivors returning to their destroyed homes.
While I agree that this is an issue worth attention, it's also worth noting that even the first bombing was probably a war crime, since the mention of rescue workers and homes implies that these bombings are targetting civilians. I'd be uncomfortable choosing an option that goes "well okay, you're allowed to attack civilians with impunity, so long as you don't also kick them when they're down".

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"This is a great opportunity to take the moral high ground," suggests your gleeful Minister of Optics, dancing on the spot like an excited five-year-old. "We just join with the international community in decrying the Blackacreans as barbarians, and make a public commitment to recognising that double-tap attacks are a war crime. In terms of geopolitical strategy, there's no better place to be than standing alongside the finger-wagging morally superior nations."
So, are we actually doing something, like imposing trade sanctions or shooting their evil bombers out of the sky or whatever, or are we just writing strongly-worded letters?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:OUTCOME:
the price of peace is an eternal soil contamination by military-grade toxins
Delete the "an" from this sentence.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Blackacre -- a nation with less than cordial relations with @@NAME@@ famed for its dubious morals
Hyphenate "less-than-cordial" ;)

Also, I would suggest dropping the "famed for its dubious morals". The grammar is a little awkward because you're giving two different descriptions without any break between them, and it's kinda redundant since the following description of the scenario makes it pretty clear that these aren't the good guys. Alternatively, prepend an "and" to at least aid in legibility.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:30 am

Does @@NAME@@ really wanna piss off Blackacre? That's the real question here
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 am

The subject of the issue is incredibly interesting and you've handled the text expertly. The premise is clearly outlined and the options you present are balanced and diverse, in the sense that each is a viable alternative.

Trotterdam wrote:While I agree that this is an issue worth attention, it's also worth noting that even the first bombing was probably a war crime, since the mention of rescue workers and homes implies that these bombings are targetting civilians. I'd be uncomfortable choosing an option that goes "well okay, you're allowed to attack civilians with impunity, so long as you don't also kick them when they're down.

It's more reasonable to assume that Blackacre is bombing strategic locations, not just at random, but civilian casualties are collateral damage, as is almost always the case in every single war. Yes, it's despicable, but I haven't heard of a war yet where no civilian casualties had fallen. The second bombing run to kill rescue workers etc etc, that most definitely is a war crime and therefore the author handled the explanation adequately if you ask me.

Trotterdam wrote:So, are we actually doing something, like imposing trade sanctions or shooting their evil bombers out of the sky or whatever, or are we just writing strongly-worded letters?

Is it really necessary to specify what we're doing? I think this can be left vague as it's clear that whatever the international community will do, it will have an impact on Blackacre or is supposed to have one. I am of the opinion it doesn't need to be specified what exactly the international community wants to do in response. The ambiguity works here.

Trotterdam wrote:Delete the "an" from this sentence.

Agreed, without "an" it works better.

Trotterdam wrote:Also, I would suggest dropping the "famed for its dubious morals". The grammar is a little awkward because you're giving two different descriptions without any break between them, and it's kinda redundant since the following description of the scenario makes it pretty clear that these aren't the good guys. Alternatively, prepend an "and" to at least aid in legibility.

I think the "famed for its dubious moral" can be kept in the text, but inserting "and" I would definitely recommend as well, as it sounds more grammatically correct then.

Australian rePublic wrote:Does @@NAME@@ really wanna piss off Blackacre? That's the real question here

@@NATION@@ and Blackacre already have bad relations as established throughout the issue base. I don't see why pissing off the country would be problematic here, since it's what the two countries have been doing the entire time. Remember when Blackacre tried to kill @@LEADER@@? :P
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:12 pm

While I agree that this is an issue worth attention, it's also worth noting that even the first bombing was probably a war crime, since the mention of rescue workers and homes implies that these bombings are targetting civilians. I'd be uncomfortable choosing an option that goes "well okay, you're allowed to attack civilians with impunity, so long as you don't also kick them when they're down".

You're right. Draft 2 will take out the implication that the initial targets were non-military.

Delete the "an" from this sentence.

Will do, thanks.

Hyphenate "less-than-cordial" ;)

Hmm. Yeah, you could be right there.

Also, I would suggest dropping the "famed for its dubious morals". The grammar is a little awkward because you're giving two different descriptions without any break between them, and it's kinda redundant since the following description of the scenario makes it pretty clear that these aren't the good guys. Alternatively, prepend an "and" to at least aid in legibility.

Good call.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Does @@NAME@@ really wanna piss off Blackacre? That's the real question here

Not sure it is. :)

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:46 am

Not sure I like the implication of the first option being to do nothing except fingerwag and send a strongly-worded letter. I for one would be tempted to help Sabreyard fight back in some way, and there are many ways that can be done in ways that will make opponents of doubletapping uncomfortable. Say by arming Sabreyard's nasty government with anti-aircraft weapons, or by straight up deciding to send @@DENONYM@@ bombers to bomb Blackacre's civilians just to show them how much they will like them apples.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Fair point. Added a new option in the second position for a more militaristic response.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?