NATION

PASSWORD

The Skewing of Issue Results

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

The Skewing of Issue Results

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:23 am

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=jus ... _first_one
Someone created a card farming nation which makes fun of us issue authors, stating that card farmers will just randomly pick an option just to generate new cards. It raises an interesting point though, how many people just choose any random option for card farming purposes? If there are any super niche. Let's that only, I don't know, only 5% of nations have a policy combination of X and Y. Now, let's assume that the vast majority 5% who have that kind of combination have it through sheer coincidence genrrated by random issue option picking? (But due to the number of possible combination, 5% would be quite high if people played properly). If so, what does that say about the follow to X & Y combo? Was that follow up written in vain? How many issues were written in vein due to card farmers scewing option popularity, leading to a follow up which nobody really reads? And what does that say about the future of issue writing?
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 am

There were people picking random options, or always picking the first/last option on each issue, even before cards existed. It's funny to see what horribly-messed-up nations you'll end up with.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 am

Trotterdam wrote:There were people picking random options, or always picking the first/last option on each issue, even before cards existed. It's funny to see what horribly-messed-up nations you'll end up with.

This is true.

I think I calculated for July that there were 1.7 million issues answered. I'd wager the majority of that is down to cards/card farming.

But when we look at how regularly an issue option is picked, or if a follow-up should be written, we do take into consideration that a lot of selections may be card farming/random picking, and we give due weight and consideration to that fact.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 am

Right, we've got quite subtle and clever tools that let us look not just at the baseline but to contextualise it within the game as a whole.

For my part, I maintain Finalanswer Archive, Middlemidden and First and Only Archive, all of which have very specific positional rules on which option that they can take. Interestingly, all three have strong economies, but poor civil rights and political freedoms, which does suggest a certain biasing of the issues towards certain outcomes.

Of course, that biasing doesn't account for conscious choice, so actually most nations in the world can get decent freedoms if they want them. It's probably more that introducing freedom is an incremental process, while demolishing it can be done in one swoop.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:46 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Right, we've got quite subtle and clever tools that let us look not just at the baseline but to contextualise it within the game as a whole.

For my part, I maintain Finalanswer Archive, Middlemidden and First and Only Archive, all of which have very specific positional rules on which option that they can take. Interestingly, all three have strong economies, but poor civil rights and political freedoms, which does suggest a certain biasing of the issues towards certain outcomes.

Of course, that biasing doesn't account for conscious choice, so actually most nations in the world can get decent freedoms if they want them. It's probably more that introducing freedom is an incremental process, while demolishing it can be done in one swoop.

Interesting
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:49 am

Fixed your thread title, by the way. The spelling mistake was bugging me.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:56 am

I, for one, have two card farming nations- one where I just randomly choose options, and another where I try to create the worst corporate police state imaginable. I actually read issues for the later

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?