NATION

PASSWORD

Theocracy and Issue #648 (spoilers, etc.)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sant Lazarre
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Theocracy and Issue #648 (spoilers, etc.)

Postby Sant Lazarre » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:25 am

So with Issue #648 (the one about confessional booths), I understand that both the "religious" options of choice 1 and choice 3 repeal Theocracy and State Surveillance. State Surveillance makes sense, as you're refusing to let the state spy on religious activity. But what about Theocracy? They both increase religiousness and they both involve respecting the sanctity of religious beliefs - and choice 1 in particular is about a mainstream faith. For countries trying to roleplay as theocratic nations, it doesn't make sense - surely the state infringing upon the majority faith would be more damaging to a theocracy than the state choosing to abide by religious laws? As such, I'd suggest option 2 potentially implement State Surveillance as a policy while option 1 no longer removes Theocracy... or put in another option for theocratic nations, say one which lets you implement religious law (therefore granting, not removing, the Theocracy policy).

tl;dr give me back my Theocracy, you damnable heathens
In short: this nation is devoted to the thoroughly incoherent principles of Theocratic Monarcho-Communism. God is real, and may hit you if you say otherwise.

The Sant Lazarre Guarantee: not one of our factbooks has been or will be written while sober

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 am

Sant Lazarre wrote:So with Issue #648 (the one about confessional booths), I understand that both the "religious" options of choice 1 and choice 3 repeal Theocracy and State Surveillance. State Surveillance makes sense, as you're refusing to let the state spy on religious activity. But what about Theocracy? They both increase religiousness and they both involve respecting the sanctity of religious beliefs - and choice 1 in particular is about a mainstream faith. For countries trying to roleplay as theocratic nations, it doesn't make sense - surely the state infringing upon the majority faith would be more damaging to a theocracy than the state choosing to abide by religious laws? As such, I'd suggest option 2 potentially implement State Surveillance as a policy while option 1 no longer removes Theocracy... or put in another option for theocratic nations, say one which lets you implement religious law (therefore granting, not removing, the Theocracy policy).

tl;dr give me back my Theocracy, you damnable heathens

Welcome to Got Issues?. We are an OOC subforum.

For future reference, this is the thread for unusual effects.

Theocracy is a pseudo-policy anyway, meaning that it can turn on or off out of line with the story. More about pseudo-policies can be found here.

However, this change is unrelated to it's status as a pseudo-policy and there is no unusual effect here. The option proposes that state and secular law be kept separate:
Secular law enforcement is your concern, while my concern is the immortal souls of all mankind. Let’s keep the two separate, shall we?”

Keeping the state and church separate is not compatible with full theocracy.

As for adding new options, we don't do that on a whim; this issue already feels quite complete enough.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:47 am

I have taken a look at the options and I'd like to point to the following line in option 1:

"Secular law enforcement is your concern, while my concern is the immortal souls of all mankind. Let's keep the two separate, shall we?"

If you choose option 1, you basically say "secularization is good', because in essence the option advocates for a separation of church and state.

Now I want you to have a look at this line from option 3:

"All religions understand this truth, no matter who they worship, so all religions must have the right to put their holy beliefs ahead of mortal law."

This again suggests separation of church and state, as the line clearly defines two separate concepts, namely "divine law" and "mortal law". If one should but one above the other, that means they're not one and the same and thus secularization of the state is put in place.

In my opinion, it is no surprise that theocracy was removed from your policies, as both the religious options, while very pro-religion, speak of a separation between church and state, which is the exact opposite of a theocracy. That is why it was removed, because you chose an option that advocated secularization.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Return to Got Issues?