NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Blitzed

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Blitzed

Postby Baggieland » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm

My latest offering.

[TITLE] Blitzed

[DESCRIPTION] Recent historical research has revealed that the Smalltopian army's 'Lightning War' was ultimately successful because their troops had been given large doses of methamphetamine. Your top generals have encircled you in your office to discuss the implications for the @@DEMONYM@@ military.

[VALIDITY] somewhat militaristic

[OPTION] "The Smalltopians crushed their enemies with their Lightning War," states General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, well-known for @@HIS@@ singular battlefield tactic of 'more cannon fodder'. "They marched non-stop for four days and nights through thick forest, while carrying full packs, then fought and easily defeated their foes at the end. If @@NAME@@ wants to win any future wars quickly and efficiently, we need to start issuing our troops with methamphetamines."

[EFFECT] soldiers can be forgiven for believing they're in the Air Force

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine does seem to be a useful addition to a war effort," ponders General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who prefers to lead by example. "However, there are health issues to consider. Methamphetamine should only be given to elite troops on dangerous missions and when that mission is over, there needs to be a comprehensive rehabilitation period; to make sure no one is addicted or suffering from any side effects."

[EFFECT] battlefield gains are quickly lost when enemies don't respect a time-out

[OPTION] "Why only soldiers?" questions your secretary, as @@HE@@ makes you a drink with one hand and takes minutes of the meeting with the other. "Look at all this work I have piled up on my desk. Not to mention all the other tasks I'm expected to carry out: there's never enough time in the day. Give methamphetamines to every worker in @@NAME@@ and see how efficient we become!"

[EFFECT] skyscrapers get built in just days

[TITLE] Blitzed

[DESCRIPTION] Recent historical research has revealed that the Smalltopian army's 'Lightning War' was ultimately successful because their troops had been given large doses of methamphetamine. Your top generals have encircled you in your office to discuss the implications for the @@DEMONYM@@ military.

[OPTION] "The Smalltopians crushed their enemies with their Lightning War," states General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, well-known for @@HIS@@ singular battlefield tactic of 'more cannon fodder'. "They marched non-stop for four days and nights through thick forest, while carrying full packs, then fought and easily defeated their foes at the end. If @@NAME@@ wants to win any future wars quickly and efficiently, we need to start issuing our troops with methamphetamines."

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYM@@ soldiers often believe they're in the Air Force

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine does seem to be a useful addition to a war effort," ponders General @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who prefers to lead by example. "However, there are health issues to consider. Methamphetamine should only be given to elite troops on dangerous missions and when that mission is over, there needs to be a comprehensive rehabilitation period; to make sure no one is addicted or suffering from any side effects."

[EFFECT] battlefield gains are quickly lost when enemies don't respect a time-out

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine is a lethal drug!" declares General Andrew Cheavers-Ciphil of the Army Medical Corps, as he hands out pamphlets on the dangers of narcotics. "If we want our troops to win battles, then they must be fully coherent and at the peak of their physical fitness -- not pumped full of drugs! In fact, all forms of substance abuse must be banned in the military: narcotics, alcohol, tobacco and even caffeine."

[EFFECT] a soldier's body is a temple – and a bullseye
[VALIDITY] hasn't banned alcohol nor tobacco

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine is a lethal drug!" declares General Andrew Cheavers-Ciphil of the Army Medical Corps, as he hands out pamphlets on the dangers of narcotics. "If we want our troops to win battles, then they must be fully coherent and at the peak of their physical fitness -- not pumped full of drugs! In fact, all forms of substance abuse must be banned in the military: narcotics, tobacco and even caffeine."

[VALIDITY] hasn't banned tobacco, has banned alcohol

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine is a lethal drug!" declares General Andrew Cheavers-Ciphil of the Army Medical Corps, as he hands out pamphlets on the dangers of narcotics. "If we want our troops to win battles, then they must be fully coherent and at the peak of their physical fitness -- not pumped full of drugs! In fact, all forms of substance abuse must be banned in the military: narcotics, alcohol and even caffeine."

[VALIDITY] hasn't banned alcohol, has banned tobacco

[OPTION] "Why only soldiers?" questions your secretary, making you a drink with one hand and taking minutes of the meeting with the other. "Look at all this work I have piled up on my desk. Not to mention all the other tasks I'm expected to carry out: there's never enough time in the day. Give methamphetamines to every worker in @@NAME@@ and see how efficient we become!"

[TITLE] Blitzed

[DESCRIPTION] Recent historical research has revealed that the Smalltopian army's 'Lightning War' was ultimately successful because their troops had been given large doses of methamphetamine. Your top generals have encircled you in your office and this conversation isn't going to be an easy trip.

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYM@@ soldiers often believe they're in the Air Force

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine is a lethal drug!" declares General Andrew Cheavers-Ciphil of the Army Medical Corps, as he hands out pamphlets on the dangers of narcotics. "If we want our troops to win battles, then they must be fully coherent and at the peak of their physical fitness -- not pumped full of drugs! In fact, all forms of substance abuse must be banned in the military: narcotics, alcohol, tobacco and even caffeine."

[VALIDITY] hasn't banned alcohol nor tobacco

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine is a lethal drug!" declares General Andrew Cheavers-Ciphil of the Army Medical Corps, as he hands out pamphlets on the dangers of narcotics. "If we want our troops to win battles, then they must be fully coherent and at the peak of their physical fitness -- not pumped full of drugs! In fact, all forms of substance abuse must be banned in the military: narcotics, tobacco and even caffeine."

[VALIDITY] hasn't banned tobacco, has banned alcohol

[OPTION] "Methamphetamine is a lethal drug!" declares General Andrew Cheavers-Ciphil of the Army Medical Corps, as he hands out pamphlets on the dangers of narcotics. "If we want our troops to win battles, then they must be fully coherent and at the peak of their physical fitness -- not pumped full of drugs! In fact, all forms of substance abuse must be banned in the military: narcotics, alcohol and even caffeine."

[VALIDITY] hasn't banned alcohol, has banned tobacco

[OPTION] "Why only soldiers?" questions your secretary, making you a drink with one hand and taking minutes of the meeting with the other. "Look at all this work I have piled up on my desk. Not to mention all the other tasks I'm expected to carry out: there's never enough time in the day. Give methamphetamines to every worker in @@NAME@@ and see how efficient we become!"

Last edited by Baggieland on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Oh, I remember reading about this -- the entire Nazi war machine was powered by methamphetamine.

This issue seems to be missing a 'no methamphetamine; build the military some other way' option. I have nations that disavow drugs; I'd be miffed if I didn't have the option to refuse to let my soldiers take drugs without dismissing.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 am

The Free Joy State wrote:the entire Nazi war machine was powered by methamphetamine.

Yep, not just soldiers, but airmen and submariners as well.

The Free Joy State wrote:This issue seems to be missing a 'no methamphetamine; build the military some other way' option. I have nations that disavow drugs; I'd be miffed if I didn't have the option to refuse to let my soldiers take drugs without dismissing.

I certainly considered a no-drugs option, but it seemed to me that "don't give soldiers meth" = the status quo = the dismiss button.

The Free Joy State wrote:build the military some other way' option.

I'm open to this idea, but it needs to be applicable to the story premise. More tanks, ships, conscripts, etc. has already been covered in previous issues, and as I said not to do with this storyline.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:10 am

Just had a thought. How about: don't give soldiers meth and also ban them from all other intoxicants such as tobacco and alcohol, so the soldiers are the most focused?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 am

How does tobacco ruin concentration?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How does tobacco ruin concentration?

It's an addictive drug, that ruins people's health. I'll try to word the option well, when I get round to it.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am

Baggieland wrote:Just had a thought. How about: don't give soldiers meth and also ban them from all other intoxicants such as tobacco and alcohol, so the soldiers are the most focused?

That sounds like a good addition to the issue.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Oh, I remember reading about this -- the entire Nazi war machine was powered by methamphetamine.

Apparently so was the Imperial Japanese Army, which might have influenced its members' behaviour...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Apparently so was the Imperial Japanese Army

I haven't read about that, but it wouldn't surprise me. The allies also gave meth to their soldiers in WW2, but in not so huge quantities.

The Free Joy State wrote:That sounds like a good addition to the issue.

2nd draft is up.
With the addition in not one, not two, but three versions! (Does that make it a 'toppelganger'?).

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Apparently so was the Imperial Japanese Army

I haven't read about that, but it wouldn't surprise me. The allies also gave meth to their soldiers in WW2, but in not so huge quantities.

IIRC, it wasn't just the Nazi soldiers, airmen and sailors, people on the homefront were given huge doses of it to so they'd be alert powering the factories, and working the fields and things.

A lot the Axis' acts make more sense if you look at it as "they were all (probably) hopped up on meth".

Baggieland wrote:[EFFECT] soldiers can be forgiven for believing they're in the Air Force

I suggest a slight reword, to emphasise the joke and make it a bit sharper:
@@DEMONYM@@ soldiers often believe they're in the Air Force

I like the new option!
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:I suggest a slight reword, to emphasise the joke and make it a bit sharper:
@@DEMONYM@@ soldiers often believe they're in the Air Force

Thanks. Edited into the 2nd draft.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Baggieland wrote:Your top generals have encircled you in your office to discuss the implications for the @@DEMONYM@@ military.

I thought this type of "there's an issue to debate" sentence wasn't done anymore in issues? Or at least, that's what I was told.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:08 am

Daarwyrth wrote:I thought this type of "there's an issue to debate" sentence wasn't done anymore in issues? Or at least, that's what I was told.

Fair enough.

3rd draft is up.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Wouldn't a better drug be steroids?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't a better drug be steroids?

I think part of the issue is how over-the-top it is to be using meth. Steroids are kinda reasonable for soldiers to take, but regular use of meth is the sort of ridiculous thing that makes an NS issue.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Also, as has been mentioned earlier, it's based on RL events.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:21 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't a better drug be steroids?

I think part of the issue is how over-the-top it is to be using meth. Steroids are kinda reasonable for soldiers to take, but regular use of meth is the sort of ridiculous thing that makes an NS issue.

Agreed. While I could see why steroids would fit as well, for an NS issue amphetamine fits much better. Especially since it's based on a real life story, as the author said.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Also, don't forget that while steroids make you stronger and faster, meth gives you a feeling of invincability, and this is war!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Fair enough, carry on

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Baggieland wrote:Also, don't forget that while steroids make you stronger and faster, meth gives you a feeling of invincability, and this is war!
Feeling invincible when you aren't actually invincible isn't necessarily a good idea.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 am

Trotterdam wrote:Feeling invincible when you aren't actually invincible isn't necessarily a good idea.

Agreed. It's a terrible idea. However, feeling "extra" brave on a battlefield has benefits, for the generals, not the soldiers of course.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:07 am

I've submitted this one. Thanks for everyone's help.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:19 pm

Good Luck!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:27 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Good luck!

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?