NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft]My Preciouss!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Snoodum
Attaché

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Draft]My Preciouss!

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 am

This is trying to confront nations with what they would do if the US opiate Crisis hit their nation. Thank you for any feedback. I have changed the name to 'Painless but hurtful' after some very sound advice.

Description: After a brief walk down the street to enjoy the sights and smells of @@CAPITAL@@, you noticed the extensive line of people queueing out the door of the local health clinic. Given it was only five in the morning and the line exceeded even peak demand, a meeting has been called in your office.

Person 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Health steps forward. ‘That’s what happens when opiates get out of control, @@LEADER@@. Please, I want an effective and efficient healthcare system just as much as you but this drug was not tested properly, it was not scrutinised closely enough, in short, it was a huge failure. What you saw with that health clinic is what I like to call a ‘Conveyor belt of addiction’. A person goes in, gets the opiate prescribed by doctors who are on Big Pharma’s payroll and who have been told the drug works for moderate pain relief, gets addicted and comes back for more. I implore you oh, @@LEADER@@, to put better checks in place to screen these new drugs and require them to undergo proper testing. In the meantime, we need treatment clinics to help addicts! It’s our job to protect people from exploitation after all!’

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of OpiatesOrNothing wearing an obviously expensive suit and a gold chain dangling from one pocket. ‘@@LEADER@@, your Minister for Health knows nothing. My company’s drug is not the problem here and nor is it the problem of companies who stock or supply the drug. It’s the people’s fault for buying it in the first place. It really is that simple. If a person takes a drug, they want to keep taking it. If they don’t take it, well, they don’t want more. They’re grown adults after all, they can look after themselves.’

Person Three: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Maxtopia!’

Person Four: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Defence calmly places a map of Maxtopia on the desk, rolling it out. ‘Maxtopia should be no more, I think we can all agree. No one likes them and we can use those natural resources much better ourselves. I have done some thinking and I suggest we dope up the Maxtopian military, then cut off supply. By the time they recover from the severe withdrawal symptoms, Maxtopia will just be another part of @@NATION@@!

Recent effect lines:

1. a resurgence in the deadliest diseases due to harsh drug testing has many @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ worried

2. @@NATION@@ has ground to a standstill as people call in sick to work to get their latest fix

3. foreign nations have a very polarising love-hate relationship with @@NATION@@

4. @@NATION@@ has been widely condemned for the use of chemical weapons

Description: After a foreign news station gave a report on the growing numbers of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made opiate that was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug, a meeting has been called in your office.

Person 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Health steps forward. ‘That’s what happens when opiates get out of control, @@LEADER@@. Please, I want an effective and efficient healthcare system just as much as you but this drug was not tested properly, it was not scrutinised closely enough, in short, it was a huge failure. What you saw with that health clinic is what I like to call a ‘Conveyor belt of addiction’. A person goes in, gets the opiate prescribed by doctors who are on Big Pharma’s payroll and who have been told the drug works for moderate pain relief, gets addicted and comes back for more. I implore you oh, @@LEADER@@, to put better checks in place to screen these new drugs and require them to undergo proper testing. In the meantime, we need treatment clinics to help addicts! It’s our job to protect people from exploitation after all!’

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the CEO of OpiatesOrNothing wearing an obviously expensive suit and a gold chain dangling from one pocket. ‘@@LEADER@@, your Minister for Health knows nothing. My company’s drug is not the problem here and nor is it the problem of companies who stock or supply the drug. It’s the people’s fault for buying it in the first place. It really is that simple. If a person takes a drug, they want to keep taking it. If they don’t take it, well, they don’t want more. They’re grown adults after all, they can look after themselves.’

Person Three: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Maxtopia!’

Person Four: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Defence calmly places a map of Maxtopia on the desk, rolling it out. ‘Maxtopia should be no more, I think we can all agree. No one likes them and we can use those natural resources much better ourselves. I have done some thinking and I suggest we dope up the Maxtopian military, then cut off supply. By the time they recover from the severe withdrawal symptoms, Maxtopia will just be another part of @@NATION@@!

Recent effect lines:

1. a resurgence in the deadliest diseases due to harsh drug testing has many @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ worried

2. @@NATION@@ has ground to a standstill as people call in sick to work to get their latest fix

3. foreign nations have a very polarising love-hate relationship with @@NATION@@

4. @@NATION@@ has been widely condemned for the use of chemical weapons

Okay, for this second draft, I've tried to move beyond the typical (but necessary) more/less regulations. I hope you enjoy!

Description: After a foreign news station gave a report on the growing numbers of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made opiate that was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug, a meeting has been called in your office. While the government is competent enough to deal with the domestic consequences, some unlikely suggestions have been put forward for what to do next.

Person One: @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@FAITH@@’s strongest advocate smiles wickedly at you. ‘@@LEADER@@, I’m sure you understand the need for a more pious populace. The people need to be led out of their dark existence through @@FAITH@@! I propose you give @@FAITH@@ control over supply and production of this new opiate. That way we can get everyone as zealous as me! I assure you, you will see results by the end of the month!

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Maxtopia!’

Person Three: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Defence calmly places a map of Maxtopia on the desk, rolling it out. ‘Maxtopia should be no more, I think we can all agree. No one likes them and we can use those natural resources much better ourselves. I have done some thinking and I suggest we dope up the Maxtopian military, then cut off supply. By the time they recover from the severe withdrawal symptoms, Maxtopia will just be another part of @@NATION@@!

Person Four:General @@RANDOMNAME@@ pushes past the Immigration Minister, leaning in close. ‘Please, these other people have it wrong. We can’t allow the drug to get out. If the international community gets hold of it, who’s going to stop the carnage!’ He takes a breath. ‘Please, I propose we close our borders to stop the drug getting out. No one in, no one out. If some does get out, well we just have to rid them of it…perhaps forcefully. But enough of that, just close the borders so it doesn’t spread, I beseech you!

Recent effect lines:

1. an unprecedented resurgence in @@FAITH@@ has many @@DEMONYM@@’s worried though many more seem to be shivering wrecks

This third draft just changes the description as advised by the constructive criticism.

Description: After a government report came out on the thousands of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made opiate called mortinyl that was meant for medicinal use. Many believe was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug, a meeting has been called. While the government is competent enough to deal with the domestic consequences, some unlikely suggestions have been put forward for what to do next.

Person One: @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@FAITH@@’s strongest advocate smiles wickedly at you. ‘@@LEADER@@, I’m sure you understand the need for a more pious populace. The people need to be led out of their dark existence through @@FAITH@@! I propose you give @@FAITH@@ control over supply and production of this new opiate. That way we can get everyone as zealous as me! I assure you, you will see results by the end of the month!

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Maxtopia!’

Person Three: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Defence calmly places a map of Maxtopia on the desk, rolling it out. ‘Maxtopia should be no more, I think we can all agree. No one likes them and we can use those natural resources much better ourselves. I have done some thinking and I suggest we dope up the Maxtopian military, then cut off supply. By the time they recover from the severe withdrawal symptoms, Maxtopia will just be another part of @@NATION@@!

Person Four:General @@RANDOMNAME@@ pushes past the Immigration Minister, leaning in close. ‘Please, these other people have it wrong. We can’t allow the drug to get out. If the international community gets hold of it, who’s going to stop the carnage!’ He takes a breath. ‘Please, I propose we close our borders to stop the drug getting out. No one in, no one out. If some does get out, well we just have to rid them of it…perhaps forcefully. But enough of that, just close the borders so it doesn’t spread, I beseech you!

Recent effect lines:

1. an unprecedented resurgence in @@FAITH@@ has many @@DEMONYM@@’s worried though many more seem to be shivering wrecks

I've mainly just changed the description.

Description: After a government report came out on the thousands of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made, over-the-counter, medicinal opiate called Mortinyl that was marketed as easing pain deemed at least moderate. Many believe the drug was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug and a severe lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and pharmacists. A meeting has now been called. While the government is competent enough to deal with the domestic consequences, some unlikely suggestions have been put forward for what to do next.

Recent effect lines:

4. @@NATION@@ invades other nations thought to have bought strong opiates

Description: After a government report came out on the thousands of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made, over-the-counter, medicinal opiate called Mortinyl that was marketed as easing pain deemed at least moderate. Many believe the drug was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug and a severe lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and pharmacists.

Person One: @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@FAITH@@’s strongest advocate smiles at you. ‘@@LEADER@@, I’m sure you understand the need for a more pious populace. The people need to be led out of their dark existence through @@FAITH@@! I propose you give @@FAITH@@ control over supply and production of this new opiate. That way we can get everyone as zealous as me! I assure you, you will see results by the end of the month!

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Daguo!’

Person Three: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Defence calmly places a map of Daguo on the desk, rolling it out. ‘Maxtopia should be no more, I think we can all agree. No one likes them and we can use those natural resources much better ourselves. I have done some thinking and I suggest we dope up the Daguon military, then cut off supply. By the time they recover from the severe withdrawal symptoms, Daguo will just be another part of @@NATION@@!

Person Four:A well known pharmacist, @@RANDOMNAME@@ pushes past the Immigration Minister, leaning in close. ‘Please, these other people have it wrong. The drug needs to be available only for those with prescriptions. That way doctors and pharmacists like myself can use our judgement to prescribe such drugs. Yes, it may take time to get used to it, it being new and all, but that is nothing compared to national health! ‘Please, pharamcists can't really dissuade people from harming themselves unintentionally if drugs like this one is over-the-counter. And don't tell me people do their own research on medication, that's preposterous! The average person knows nothing!'

Recent effect lines:

4. @@DEMONYM@@'s hold hour long debates with their pharmacists on who knows more about their health
Last edited by Snoodum on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Yours, God-Emperor Snudgeskooge, His Divine Imperial Majesty
May we civilise the world with an iron fist.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 am

This issue fails on many, many levels.

I suggest a good read of the How To thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=424657

This will help you identify a better way to structure and tell this story.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:This issue fails on many, many levels.

Sorry to be blunt but how about you just give me a brief run-down of how to structure it/tell it. I thought it worked fine but evidently, what do I know?

By the way, I would appreciate it if you gave constructive criticism in future. It doesn't seem too much to ask and it would help speed up the whole process. Now, I don't know your current state of mind though I simply ask you not to be so dismissive. It is very dispiriting to just here 'fails on many, many levels' let alone not get anything in the way of feedback. If you were teacher, you would not just say 'this is terrible', you would explain how and what can be done to improve the work. I think the same can reasonably said to apply here.
Last edited by Snoodum on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:13 am

Snoodum wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:This issue fails on many, many levels.

Sorry to be blunt but how about you just give me a brief run-down of how to structure it/tell it. I thought it worked fine but evidently, what do I know?

First and foremost, the narrative setup is lacking. A reader should know what the issue is going to be about by the time they are done reading the intro, or they should at least have a pretty good idea. Readers ought not to sleuth around in the options to figure out what the basic situation is.

Experienced writers can play around with the structure, but deviation really isn’t advisable in most cases.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:15 am

Candensia wrote:
Snoodum wrote:Sorry to be blunt but how about you just give me a brief run-down of how to structure it/tell it. I thought it worked fine but evidently, what do I know?

First and foremost, the narrative setup is lacking. A reader should know what the issue is going to be about by the time they are done reading the intro, or they should at least have a pretty good idea. Readers ought not to sleuth around in the options to figure out what the basic situation is.

Experienced writers can play around with the structure, but deviation really isn’t advisable in most cases.

Thank you for your feedback. I will change it now.

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 am

I've made a change to the description that I think works. The rest of the isssue remains the same as I feel it still fits.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:33 am

I’d be careful about overlap with #284 and #597.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 am

Candensia wrote:I’d be careful about overlap with #284 and #597.

I'll check them out and make appropriate changes.

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 am

Second draft is up!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 am

Snoodum wrote:Sorry to be blunt but how about you just give me a brief run-down of how to structure it/tell it. I thought it worked fine but evidently, what do I know?

By the way, I would appreciate it if you gave constructive criticism in future. It doesn't seem too much to ask and it would help speed up the whole process. Now, I don't know your current state of mind though I simply ask you not to be so dismissive. It is very dispiriting to just here 'fails on many, many levels' let alone not get anything in the way of feedback. If you were teacher, you would not just say 'this is terrible', you would explain how and what can be done to improve the work. I think the same can reasonably said to apply here.

The criticism, while blunt, is intended to be constructive. Really, you need to start with the link provided, which sets out how to present an issue in the expected format.

It then goes on to explain how an opening description should look, how options should look, how effect lines should look, and so on.

The key here though is the opening description. Get that right and everything else can follow.

Description: After a foreign news station gave a report on the growing numbers of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made opiate that was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug, a meeting has been called in your office.

This presentation is simultaneously too vague, and too specific.

It's too vague because it feels like you're being presented with incomplete information. Can you imagine a national leader being told "ah yes, there's this new addictive drug, don't worry about what it's called, there's uh... growing numbers of addicts, according to a foreign news station report." That lacks verisimilitude and feels silly in the wrong way.

It's too specific, as it's about one particular opiate, when the real world issue is addiction in general to prescribed opiates, which makes it feel like its failing to grasp the scope of the actual issue.

Then, there is the sin of the last sentence being a redundancy (as explained in the How To guide), which is a common error, but needs to be avoided. You never need to tell us a meeting has been called in your office. If the meeting or the meeting location is information that doesn't effect the decision, then leave off that line. Every sentence should either transmit useful information, or add to the entertainment.

There is also an issue in the type of information presented -- anything that looks like an opinion should belong in the options, in the voiced opinions of the speakers. Anything presented in the description should be taken as fact. So you can't say something like "that was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug", because that's an opinion. Instead you should say something like "which many are attributing to failures to properly test the drug", or even better, leave that information off the opening, and add it to an option.

Finally, be wary of risk of overlap with issue 597, which while framed in the setting of dentistry also covers opiate prescribing.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:28 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

The criticism, while blunt, is intended to be constructive. Really, you need to start with the link provided, which sets out how to present an issue in the expected format.

It then goes on to explain how an opening description should look, how options should look, how effect lines should look, and so on.

The key here though is the opening description. Get that right and everything else can follow.

This presentation is simultaneously too vague, and too specific.

It's too vague because it feels like you're being presented with incomplete information. Can you imagine a national leader being told "ah yes, there's this new addictive drug, don't worry about what it's called, there's uh... growing numbers of addicts, according to a foreign news station report." That lacks verisimilitude and feels silly in the wrong way.

It's too specific, as it's about one particular opiate, when the real world issue is addiction in general to prescribed opiates, which makes it feel like its failing to grasp the scope of the actual issue.

Then, there is the sin of the last sentence being a redundancy (as explained in the How To guide), which is a common error, but needs to be avoided. You never need to tell us a meeting has been called in your office. If the meeting or the meeting location is information that doesn't effect the decision, then leave off that line. Every sentence should either transmit useful information, or add to the entertainment.

There is also an issue in the type of information presented -- anything that looks like an opinion should belong in the options, in the voiced opinions of the speakers. Anything presented in the description should be taken as fact. So you can't say something like "that was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug", because that's an opinion. Instead you should say something like "which many are attributing to failures to properly test the drug", or even better, leave that information off the opening, and add it to an option.

Finally, be wary of risk of overlap with issue 597, which while framed in the setting of dentistry also covers opiate prescribing.

Okay. I'll give the opiate a name.
Fentinyl is the main focus of the US opiate crisis (at least in the news) so I don't see a problem with it being just one. I can of course come up with more names if that suits.
I'll change the bit about the meeting.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 pm

I've read the entire issue and am still not sure if drug is medicinal or recreational
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:51 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I've read the entire issue and am still not sure if drug is medicinal or recreational

I've added it to the description of the third draft.
Last edited by Snoodum on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 am

Is it over the counter or prescription only? If the former, maybe it should be prescription only. If the later, how are all these people getting prescriptions?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:00 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Is it over the counter or prescription only? If the former, maybe it should be prescription only. If the later, how are all these people getting prescriptions?

I'll explain it here and add it later.
The drug is prescription only. It has been marketed as a drug to help with moderate pain (and more intense pain too). Pharmacists and doctors prescribe the drug based on the fact that their patients say they are in moderate pain. Like in America and probably in other countries too, I just haven't heard, doctors don't actually know too much about the drug, they've just been sold it by marketers and other advertising.
Last edited by Snoodum on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am

Snoodum wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Is it over the counter or prescription only? If the former, maybe it should be prescription only. If the later, how are all these people getting prescriptions?

I'll explain it here and add it later.
The drug is prescription only. It has been marketed as a drug to help with moderate pain (and more intense pain too). Pharmacists and doctors prescribe the drug based on the fact that their patients say they are in moderate pain. Like in America and probably in other countries too, I just haven't heard, doctors don't actually know too much about the drug, they've just been sold it by marketers and other advertising.

Doctors don't know much about the drug? What the fudge kind of health system is that? Is this an America thing, or is this global?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:12 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Snoodum wrote:I'll explain it here and add it later.

Doctors don't know much about the drug? What the fudge kind of health system is that? Is this an America thing, or is this global?

Well it's certainly an American issue. I'll go some research and get back to you on whether it's more widespread. It would be a lot to ask a doctor to know exactly what each drug does especially when it's been marketed as safe by the drug companies, then again, what do I know?

Okay, scratch that, it seems as though it's just America. Though if a drug company has marketed it as better than other drugs and the drug regulation boards have approved it, it doesn't seem unreasonable for doctors to prescribe the drug.

It seems simpler to have the drug be over the counter so I'll change it in the fourth draft.
Last edited by Snoodum on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Snoodum wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Doctors don't know much about the drug? What the fudge kind of health system is that? Is this an America thing, or is this global?

Well it's certainly an American issue. I'll go some research and get back to you on whether it's more widespread. It would be a lot to ask a doctor to know exactly what each drug does especially when it's been marketed as safe by the drug companies, then again, what do I know?

Okay, scratch that, it seems as though it's just America. Though if a drug company has marketed it as better than other drugs and the drug regulation boards have approved it, it doesn't seem unreasonable for doctors to prescribe the drug.

It seems simpler to have the drug be over the counter so I'll change it in the fourth draft.

Of coarse a doctor's not gonna know exactly what every drug does. That's what literature is for. My GP, for example, has the giant arse book full of diseases and drugs. I have no idea how it works with new drugs and new diseases, but I'd imagine the chemical make up of the drugs are more important than the name and branding. If the drugs is over-the-counter, there should be an option to make it prescription only

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Rest assured, this draft shows promise. However, it's not quite there yet. Before I get to the suggestions provided below, the first point of order is a request to change the current title. While allusions to Gollum may be visually evocative, my personal opinion is that it's in somewhat poor taste considering the subject matter. Certainly there could be a more punny, or perhaps referential, title that might fit the scenario better anyway.

Description: After a government report came out on the thousands of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made, over-the-counter, medicinal opiate called Mortinyl that was marketed as easing pain deemed at least moderate. Many believe the drug was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug and a severe lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and pharmacists.[/Strike] A meeting has now been called. While the government is competent enough to deal with the domestic consequences, some unlikely suggestions have been put forward for what to do next.[/strike]

These last two lines should be eliminated. They're unnecessary to the scenario, with the first few lines doing a good job of setting up the narrative already.

Remove this adjective. As it reads right now, such a subjective qualifier illustrates just enough of a negative judgement that it might dissuade readers from choosing the option.

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Maxtopia!

Consider changing Maxtopia to Daguo, the NS equivalent of Asia. There's a commentary on the Chinese Opioid Wars to be had here.

Going to be honest here, not a fan of this last option. Considering the issue as a whole, the elephant in the room (and what should probably be the first option) still isn't being addressed: tackling the domestic issue that led to this situation. The description itself posits that the Mortinyl crisis was caused by "failures to properly test the drug and a severe lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and pharmacists." Consider writing an option or two as a response to this observation. It's the perfect place to work in the backstory conceived in this comment of yours.

Keep on working out the kinks here; it's definitely coming along.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:23 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:Rest assured, this draft shows promise. However, it's not quite there yet. Before I get to the suggestions provided below, the first point of order is a request to change the current title. While allusions to Gollum may be visually evocative, my personal opinion is that it's in somewhat poor taste considering the subject matter. Certainly there could be a more punny, or perhaps referential, title that might fit the scenario better anyway.

Description: After a government report came out on the thousands of @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ addicted to a new @@DEMONYM@@-made, over-the-counter, medicinal opiate called Mortinyl that was marketed as easing pain deemed at least moderate. Many believe the drug was only allowed through to consumers due to failures to properly test the drug and a severe lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and pharmacists.[/Strike] A meeting has now been called. While the government is competent enough to deal with the domestic consequences, some unlikely suggestions have been put forward for what to do next.[/strike]

These last two lines should be eliminated. They're unnecessary to the scenario, with the first few lines doing a good job of setting up the narrative already.

Remove this adjective. As it reads right now, such a subjective qualifier illustrates just enough of a negative judgement that it might dissuade readers from choosing the option.

Person Two: @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Foreign Minister steps into view, grinning. ‘Look, this drug seems very controversial and all that but what if we sold it abroad? Think of the revenue, @@LEADER@@! If we can retain a monopoly on the drug, we’ll have countries begging us to make more of the stuff to calm their addict populations. We can even sell it to that tinpot dictatorship, Maxtopia!

Consider changing Maxtopia to Daguo, the NS equivalent of Asia. There's a commentary on the Chinese Opioid Wars to be had here.

Going to be honest here, not a fan of this last option. Considering the issue as a whole, the elephant in the room (and what should probably be the first option) still isn't being addressed: tackling the domestic issue that led to this situation. The description itself posits that the Mortinyl crisis was caused by "failures to properly test the drug and a severe lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and pharmacists." Consider writing an option or two as a response to this observation. It's the perfect place to work in the backstory conceived in this comment of yours.

Keep on working out the kinks here; it's definitely coming along.

Thank you! I'll put it in a fifth draft. The reason I didn't want to adress the domestic issues is that it clashes too much with other drug issues. This is the reason I put in the sentence 'While the government is competent enough to deal with the domestic consequences.' I wanted to move onto other applications for the drug and keep away from issue repetition. If you still feel the domestic responses of more/less regulation are necessary, I can of course put them in. Once more, thanks for the help!

P.S. I completely understand your point about the title. I'll come up with something else.

P.S.S. I changed the title at the top of the first post. I thought I should keep the original title so people can recognise it though I will change the title to the more recent one, 'painless but hurtful' if instructed.

About the fourth option. I've changed it now to make the drug prescription only. Your dislike of the fourth option and Australian rePulbic's suggestion that one option be to make the over-the-counter drug prescription only were both very good so I've killed two birds with one stone (or fed two birds with one scone if you want to be animal friendly. (birds don't even eat scones and it would probably kill some of them if they did.))
Last edited by Snoodum on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Snoodum
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Snoodum » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Snoodum wrote:Well it's certainly an American issue. I'll go some research and get back to you on whether it's more widespread. It would be a lot to ask a doctor to know exactly what each drug does especially when it's been marketed as safe by the drug companies, then again, what do I know?

Of coarse a doctor's not gonna know exactly what every drug does. That's what literature is for. My GP, for example, has the giant arse book full of diseases and drugs. I have no idea how it works with new drugs and new diseases, but I'd imagine the chemical make up of the drugs are more important than the name and branding. If the drugs is over-the-counter, there should be an option to make it prescription only

Thank you! I'll definitely put that in!

Okay, it's in the fifth draft.
Last edited by Snoodum on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?