NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Hippie Hygiene Horror

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:Most of the comments so far seem to be about the core premise of the issue, and not minor things, so I might have a look at how it's presented in the description to see if it could be put better for the 4th version.
I would consider Australian Republic's suggestion of making the person a hippie who dislikes clothes and bathing for ideological reasons, rather than being unable to afford them. Even if such people are rare, it doesn't stretch disbelief for there to be one of them causing a ruckus, and it removes all "but then how could/couldn't he afford ___?" quibbles.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 am

Yes, and make it be summer. Not only is the prospect of nudity far more likely, but also, the smell is worse. Or maybe specify that this happened in the tropics. Not only would the wet season make things worse, but there are numerous tropical diseases which don't exist here in the temperate regions
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I would consider Australian Republic's suggestion of making the person a hippie who dislikes clothes and bathing for ideological reasons, rather than being unable to afford them. Even if such people are rare, it doesn't stretch disbelief for there to be one of them causing a ruckus, and it removes all "but then how could/couldn't he afford ___?" quibbles.
Australian rePublic wrote:Yes, and make it be summer. Not only is the prospect of nudity far more likely, but also, the smell is worse. Or maybe specify that this happened in the tropics. Not only would the wet season make things worse, but there are numerous tropical diseases which don't exist here in the temperate regions

Alrighty then. I'll look at how that could be put in, with a shiny new draft expected later today. For summer, I assume that would be a narrative element, but would it require a 'good weather' validity or similar? Or am I overthinking it...

In other news, Canyamel reckons it's a good draft, and he's getting Co-Author credits for coming up with the idea (cause I feel kinda bad for stealing it) and a little bit of feedback behind the scenes.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:08 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:I would consider Australian Republic's suggestion of making the person a hippie who dislikes clothes and bathing for ideological reasons, rather than being unable to afford them. Even if such people are rare, it doesn't stretch disbelief for there to be one of them causing a ruckus, and it removes all "but then how could/couldn't he afford ___?" quibbles.
Australian rePublic wrote:Yes, and make it be summer. Not only is the prospect of nudity far more likely, but also, the smell is worse. Or maybe specify that this happened in the tropics. Not only would the wet season make things worse, but there are numerous tropical diseases which don't exist here in the temperate regions

Alrighty then. I'll look at how that could be put in, with a shiny new draft expected later today. For summer, I assume that would be a narrative element, but would it require a 'good weather' validity or similar? Or am I overthinking it...

In other news, Canyamel reckons it's a good draft, and he's getting Co-Author credits for coming up with the idea (cause I feel kinda bad for stealing it) and a little bit of feedback behind the scenes.

Even the remotest, coldest part of Antarctica has a summer. It might get down to -30°C, but it's still summer. Everyone has summer, the differences is that not everyone has winter
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:

Add his/her name to the validity

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Add his/her name to the validity

Already done...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 pm

People might remember that they've got free public transport. The unwashed hippie can afford the transport, and therefore you don't need to restrict the validity

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Draft 4 is now up. The nudist in question has become a hippie, but I've managed to keep it in a non-specified season.

Canyamel
Attaché

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Canyamel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:28 am

The issue sounds great to me and it's very well written, you've done a great job. The only problem that I see is that you need to change the title of the issue, because it's no longer a homeless. By the way, I like the idea of the hippie being the main character, it makes the issue different from other issues of the game in my opinion.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:12 pm

That's a good point. Title changed from 'Homeless Hygiene Horror' to 'Hippie Hygiene Horror'.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Slight edits and a bump. Any more feedback?

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:31 am

If I may, could one of the editors give this the once (or twice) over for some feedback? The whole 'vibe' of the issue isn't one I'm really satisfied with at the moment, but I can't think of much more to do...

Although if there's nothing more, I guess this is a last call?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 am

This is a great draft, already at a pass level, but could be polished up to make for easy publication. Get these changes in, and I have a gap in my editing schedule that I can push it straight into.

Description
@@RANDOMNAME_1@@, an outspoken @@DEMONYM@@ 'hippie', made headlines and racked up some cleaning bills last week by traveling on @@NAME@@'s public transport system completely nude, mostly due to the fact he hadn't showered in months. The Minister for Transport, disgruntled bus cleaners, and @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ @@HIM@@self, have convened an unlikely meeting in your office to discuss the problem.

Last sentence is a redundancy.

"Hippie" in quote marks is weird, as it suggests that the neutral narrator has a bias of some sort. I'd suggest making it a self-proclaimed hippie.

There's a "he" in the middle that needs to be macro'd.

Option 1
"You're like, totally cramping my vibe. There ain't nothing wrong with nudity in @@NAME@@!" proclaims @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, making your aides wince as @@HE@@ waltzes into the room still buck-naked.

Not clear to me why they're wincing. Maybe instead try and make the players wince with a description of his excess skin flopping around disconcertingly.

"Just because I was re-attuning myself to nature and not showing for a year,

showering, not showing

suddenly I'm breaking the rules? Not cool.

First part seems to be restating already known information, could be cut.

@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ hippies are causing a stench on @@NAME@@'s public transport

Avoid using "@@NAME@@'s" as a macro because of pluralised nation names. You could just drop the macro altogether, as the default assumption is that effect lines are describing a domestic situation.

Option 2
"That doesn't stop @@HIM@@ from doing this again!" retorts your Minister for Transport. "We should mandate standards of hygiene and cleanliness that @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must uphold in order to ride our public transport system. Think of how many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ were forced to sit next to him, or, heaven forbid, sat in the same spot after he'd left!"

I'd up the grossness by saying "heaven forbid, had to occupy the sweat-drenched seat @@HE@@ left behind him"

the @@DEMONYM@@ Public Transport Service hires sniffer dogs to detect if passengers have showered recently

Nice. Could be more succinct, like: "Public Transport sniffer dogs check commuters for body odour"

Option 3
"Aargh, my nose!" screams @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, who was forced to sit next to @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ on the hour-long bus ride. "I've showered 8 times and spent heaps of @@CURRENCY@@ on nasal spray but I can still smell it! Please, @@LEADER@@, ban nudity on our public transport system. Think of the children!"

I'd add on the end. "Not think of the nude children, I mean, think of the children who have to see the nudity." But it'd probably get censored by sounder minds than mine, haha, so maybe don't.

@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are finding their morning commute far less risqué than it used to be

That's not a good effect line. It's stating an outcome for sure, but there's nothing funny about that outcome. See if you can rethink this one.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback CWA, I've taken it on board (with the exception of the child nudity one). Option 3's effect line was supposed to be a play on 'risky', because of car accidents etc, but that evidently fell quite flat. New effect line is:
naturist @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ buy outfits just for their bus ride to work

That looks to be all, so submittted!
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Alright, got it in my folder. I'll TG you with the first edit soon.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?