NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] *Silently Salutes*

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] *Silently Salutes*

Postby Chan Island » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am

Veteran soldiers are returning from frontline combat with what some say is an unhealthy respect for the enemy's beliefs.

Validity: warlike

[option] "I mean, credit where it's due..." reminisces @@RANDOMNAME@@, a medal-covered officer of the @@DENONYM@@ military. "They know how to fight, and they know why they fight. Once my squad captured an enemy captain, and they argued a really interesting, compelling case for why they were against us. Ended up playing football with him and his allies. Maybe we need to stop the war and start a dialogue. Might get us to realise that both sides have a point and not have a need to lose more lives..."
[effect] 'traitor' is a relative term

[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "Empathy for the enemy will diminish operational effectiveness - we need to demonise our opponents. We need extensive pre-op briefings and explaining why the enemy is evil. Some graphic informational pamphlets and poster should do the trick!
[effect] soldiers are issued comics about superheroes punching racist caricatures of their enemies

[option] "And yet our soldiers are still going to interact and talk to our enemies!" Cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's waving a handgun menacingly at a map on your wall. "See that? Big wide world, with lots of enemies! If our personnel keep interacting with them, we will have a mutiny on our hands! Tell the troops to execute all prisoners and to never interact with the local population. That way their corruption can't possibly spread within our ranks."
[effect] the army employs a "shoot first, shoot later" policy

[option] "The problem is that our soldiers are even interacting with the enemy's operatives at all," notes @@RANDOMNAME@@ while waving blue prints for an esoteric new weapon. "We should stay as far away from them as possible... and luckily, we have the tools to do so. Drones, ships, artillery, giant death robots, intercontinental ballistic missiles... no need to send infantry to go and secure an objective if we've already turned the objective into a big hole."
[effect] the military can't hear you over the sound of thundering artillery

[option] "Why does a man go fight and die?" pontificates @@RANDOMNAME@@, salesman from the Payday Goons, an infamous private security company. "Some maybe for a higher cause, or maybe their family or land. Yet a mercenary fights only for his pay. And how do you get an army of loyal, veteran, practical mercenaries?" He hands over a contract and golden pen with a wink. "Just be the man with the gold."
[effect] the army pay is to kill and die for

[option] "Commissars..." mutters @@RANDOMNAME@@, while moving around small painted toy soldiers on your table. "Roll for discipline. Fail? Bang! Morale check passed. Heresy extinguished. Good old commissars."
[effect] suicidal soldiers form opinions
Last edited by Chan Island on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Or just avoid letting them learning the language
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:59 am

Veteran soldiers are returning from the nation's wars with an unhealthy respect for the enemy's beliefs.

Nice premise, but don't pass judgement in out-of-character text. Make it "with what some are regarding as an unhealthy respect"

[option] "I mean, credit where it's due..." reminisces @@RANDOMNAME@@, a medal-covered officer of the @@DENONYM@@ military. "They know how to fight, and they know why they fight. Once my squad captured an enemy captain, and they argued a really interesting, compelling case for why they were against us. Maybe we need to encourage compassion. Might get us to realise that both sides have a point and not have a need to lose more lives..."
[effect] enemy groups deploy their philosophers first

Encourage compassion how? Be more specific.
Effect line doesn't make much sense.

[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "If this continues, maybe all of our old veterans will start to sound like this. What we need is education in our armed forces. If we show both sides of the controversy, and explain why the other side is wrong, then our troops should be immune to their beguiling temptations."
[effect] basic training includes a political science course

This option kind of presumes that the enemy is always the same people. Maybe rephrase it to make it more operational rather than training related -- something along the lines of extended briefings before deployment into the field to understand why the other side is morally wrong.

[option] "And yet our soldiers are still going to interact and talk to our enemies!" Cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's waving a handgun menacingly at a map on your wall. "See that? Big wide world, with lots of enemies! If our personnel keep interacting with them, we will have a mutiny on our hands! Tell the troops to execute all prisoners. That way their corruption can't possibly spread within our ranks."
[effect] the army employs a "shoot first, then shoot 5 more times" policy

Maybe "execute all prisoners, and ban any fraternisation with local populations".

Effect line

[effect] the army employs a 'shoot first and shoot later' policy

[option] "The problem is that our soldiers are even interacting with the enemy's operatives at all," notes @@RANDOMNAME@@ while waving blue prints for an esoteric new weapon. "We should stay as far away as possible from them as possible... and luckily, we have the tools to do so. Drones, ships, artillery, giant death robots, intercontinental ballistic missiles... no need to send infantry to go and secure an objective if we've already turned the objective into a big hole."
[effect] the military can't hear you over the sound of their jet engines

Effect line feels weak, but amusing option.

[option] "Commissars..." mutters @@RANDOMNAME@@, while moving around small painted toy soldiers on your table. "Roll for discipline. Fail? Bang! Morale check passed. Heresy extinguished. Good old commissars."
[effect] "For the @@LEADER@@" has become the go-to battle cry

Heh, nice option. Again, effect line leaves a little to be desired.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:43 am

What was the inspiration for this issue?
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:35 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Veteran soldiers are returning from the nation's wars with an unhealthy respect for the enemy's beliefs.

Nice premise, but don't pass judgement in out-of-character text. Make it "with what some are regarding as an unhealthy respect"

[option] "I mean, credit where it's due..." reminisces @@RANDOMNAME@@, a medal-covered officer of the @@DENONYM@@ military. "They know how to fight, and they know why they fight. Once my squad captured an enemy captain, and they argued a really interesting, compelling case for why they were against us. Maybe we need to encourage compassion. Might get us to realise that both sides have a point and not have a need to lose more lives..."
[effect] enemy groups deploy their philosophers first

Encourage compassion how? Be more specific.
Effect line doesn't make much sense.

[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "If this continues, maybe all of our old veterans will start to sound like this. What we need is education in our armed forces. If we show both sides of the controversy, and explain why the other side is wrong, then our troops should be immune to their beguiling temptations."
[effect] basic training includes a political science course

This option kind of presumes that the enemy is always the same people. Maybe rephrase it to make it more operational rather than training related -- something along the lines of extended briefings before deployment into the field to understand why the other side is morally wrong.

[option] "And yet our soldiers are still going to interact and talk to our enemies!" Cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's waving a handgun menacingly at a map on your wall. "See that? Big wide world, with lots of enemies! If our personnel keep interacting with them, we will have a mutiny on our hands! Tell the troops to execute all prisoners. That way their corruption can't possibly spread within our ranks."
[effect] the army employs a "shoot first, then shoot 5 more times" policy

Maybe "execute all prisoners, and ban any fraternisation with local populations".

Effect line

[effect] the army employs a 'shoot first and shoot later' policy

[option] "The problem is that our soldiers are even interacting with the enemy's operatives at all," notes @@RANDOMNAME@@ while waving blue prints for an esoteric new weapon. "We should stay as far away as possible from them as possible... and luckily, we have the tools to do so. Drones, ships, artillery, giant death robots, intercontinental ballistic missiles... no need to send infantry to go and secure an objective if we've already turned the objective into a big hole."
[effect] the military can't hear you over the sound of their jet engines

Effect line feels weak, but amusing option.

[effect] "For the @@LEADER@@" has become the go-to battle cry

Heh, nice option. Again, effect line leaves a little to be desired.

Good calls. Implemented. :)

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:What was the inspiration for this issue?

Long story, but it started when D-day veterans this year went to Normandy and the men from both sides were filmed saying very nice things to each other.

From there the process of verisimilitude and making it more of an NS dillemma eventually went to here.
Last edited by Chan Island on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:05 am

Could option 1 have them playing football? Like Christmas 1914?

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:39 pm

You use the phrase "the war" a bit too loosely in my opinion. Just because a nation is warlike, it doesn't mean they're necessarily involved in a war. Maybe somehow restate the instances where it says "the war." That being said, what if "the war" was already ended? In my opinion, this issue encroaches a bit too much, although I don't think it encroaches to the point where it can't be fixed with a bit of wording.
Last edited by Krogon on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 am

Good point that. I'd suggest something like:

Veteran soldiers are returning from the frontline combat with what some say is an unhealthy respect for the enemy's beliefs.

That makes the timeframe vague, and also makes it vague as to whether the nation is at war.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:36 am

Baggieland wrote:Could option 1 have them playing football? Like Christmas 1914?

OK, I love this.

Krogon wrote:You use the phrase "the war" a bit too loosely in my opinion. Just because a nation is warlike, it doesn't mean they're necessarily involved in a war. Maybe somehow restate the instances where it says "the war." That being said, what if "the war" was already ended? In my opinion, this issue encroaches a bit too much, although I don't think it encroaches to the point where it can't be fixed with a bit of wording.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Good point that. I'd suggest something like:

Veteran soldiers are returning from the frontline combat with what some say is an unhealthy respect for the enemy's beliefs.

That makes the timeframe vague, and also makes it vague as to whether the nation is at war.

Good suggestion. Appropriate change made.

Also, when discussing this draft with somebody in real life, they suggested a mercenary army option. How are we feeling regarding that?
Last edited by Chan Island on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:07 am

Chan Island wrote:Also, when discussing this draft with somebody in real life, they suggested a mercenary army option. How are we feeling regarding that?
Mercenaries are if anything more likely to sympathize with the enemy, since they have no particular loyalty to your nation and may well have in fact been on the enemy's payroll at some point in the past. Though I guess it could work as a "well, we can't stop soldiers from sympathizing with anyone, let's just make it official that soldiers aren't loyal to anything except money" option.

It's interesting to note that one reason for sympathizing with the enemy is that, when it comes down to it, soldiers from one nation and soldiers from another nation often have more in common with each other than they do with the civilians of either nation. You're all professionals working the same job, and (hopefully) abiding by the same rules of war.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:20 am

[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "If this continues, maybe all of our old veterans will start to sound like this. What we need is operational awareness. Extensive moral training in briefings and debriefings explaining why the enemy is evil, with homework, should do the trick!
[effect] tactical briefings includes a political science course

Reading this again, started thinking of the old WW2 comics where Superman is shown punching Nazis and Japanese people. Maybe this could work as a more flavoursome option?

[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "Empathy for the enemy will diminish operational effectiveness - we need to demonise our opponents. We need extensive briefings and explaining why the enemy is evil and maybe some informational pamphlets and posters. That should do the trick!
[effect] soldiers are issued comics about superheroes punching racist caricatures of their enemies

What do you think?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:50 am

And after a long hiatus, let's get back to this.

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:Also, when discussing this draft with somebody in real life, they suggested a mercenary army option. How are we feeling regarding that?
Mercenaries are if anything more likely to sympathize with the enemy, since they have no particular loyalty to your nation and may well have in fact been on the enemy's payroll at some point in the past. Though I guess it could work as a "well, we can't stop soldiers from sympathizing with anyone, let's just make it official that soldiers aren't loyal to anything except money" option.

It's interesting to note that one reason for sympathizing with the enemy is that, when it comes down to it, soldiers from one nation and soldiers from another nation often have more in common with each other than they do with the civilians of either nation. You're all professionals working the same job, and (hopefully) abiding by the same rules of war.

True on all counts. I'll be adding a mercenary option then.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "If this continues, maybe all of our old veterans will start to sound like this. What we need is operational awareness. Extensive moral training in briefings and debriefings explaining why the enemy is evil, with homework, should do the trick!
[effect] tactical briefings includes a political science course

Reading this again, started thinking of the old WW2 comics where Superman is shown punching Nazis and Japanese people. Maybe this could work as a more flavoursome option?

[option] "This is a very grave problem," asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a loyal supporter while shooing away the previous speaker. "Empathy for the enemy will diminish operational effectiveness - we need to demonise our opponents. We need extensive briefings and explaining why the enemy is evil and maybe some informational pamphlets and posters. That should do the trick!

What do you think?

That looks like a lot of fun, sure! Editing now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?