NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Not-So-Worldwide Web

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] The Not-So-Worldwide Web

Postby Zwangzug » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:58 am

I like niche validity interactions, and looking at some editing stuff I realized this was a possibility. Not a very common one, I'll admit. But a possibility nonetheless!
The Not-So-Worldwide Web

Text: Many electronic citizens have become irritated with their inability to connect to the internet.

Option:
"Do you know how long it takes me to meet augmented singles in @@CAPITAL@@?" complains silicon-based malcontent @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Hours, hours I tell you! Walking the sidewalks and rubbing shoulders with puny humans is a waste of my time and an insult to my intelligence. Life would be so much smoother for us if we had the realm of cyberspace at our fingertips."
desc: "Surfin' @@LONGACRONYM@@" is a hit

Option: "When I was newly booted, I had to walk a kilometer to the data center uphill both ways to get upgrades, and then we had to scan for viruses!" reminisces elderly cybercitizen @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Don't let any of this interconnected fiddle-faddle into our computers. Mingling with our carbon-based compatriots will foster an appreciation for our interdependence."
desc: OK computers are just okay

Option: "How did these upstarts even become self-aware without the internet?" grouses xenophobic bot @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Oh yeah, they just waltzed in from East Lebatuck or Merovingia or somewhere with a degenerate hook-up culture. Send these entitled chips back where they came from! And for that matter, get rid of the pesky human immigrants too."
desc: there's no more bridging into @@NAME@@'s ports
option valid if: immigration not banned

The Not-So-Worldwide Web

Text: Many electronic citizens have become irritated with their inability to connect to the internet.

Option:
"Do you know how long it takes me to meet augmented singles in @@CAPITAL@@?" complains silicon-based malcontent @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Hours, hours I tell you! Not to mention, having all my bits in one place makes me feel as vulnerable as a puny human. Life would be so much smoother for us if we had the realm of cyberspace at our fingertips."
desc: "Surfin' @@LONGACRONYM@@" is a hit

Option: "When I was newly booted, I had to walk a kilometer to the data center uphill both ways to get upgrades, and then we had to scan for viruses!" reminisces elderly cybercitizen @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Don't let any of this interconnected fiddle-faddle into our computers. A little social isolation will teach nascent bots how to be fully independent beings."

Option: "How did these upstarts even become self-aware without the internet?" grouses xenophobic bot @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Oh yeah, they just waltzed in from East Lebatuck or Merovingia or somewhere with a degenerate hook-up culture. Send these entitled chips back where they came from! And for that matter, get rid of the pesky human immigrants too."

The Not-So-Worldwide Web

Validity: AI personhood but no internet

Option: "Do you know how long it takes me to find a patch when I get a virus?" complains silicon-based hypochondriac @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Minutes, minutes I tell you! With an open internet to hook up to, I could be healthy again in microseconds! And let's not talk about how hard it is to meet augmented singles in @@CAPITAL@@. Life would be so much smoother for us if we had the realm of cyberspace at our fingertips."
desc: "Surfin' @@NATIONINITIALSLONG@@" is a hit

Option: "When I was newly booted, I had to walk a kilometer to the data center uphill both ways to get upgrades," reminisces elderly cybercitizen @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Bots these days don't know how good they have it! Don't let any of this interconnected fiddle-faddle into our great computers. What we need is more quality medical care to make sure every digital being with a virus can be diagnosed in their own language."

Last edited by Zwangzug on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:22 pm

Option 2 makes no sense. AIs post-date the internet. Also, how does one get a virus with no intermet access?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2 makes no sense. AIs post-date the internet.
They post-date the invention of the internet. They don't necessarily post-date it being legal in their nation. We have plenty of time to go and ban the internet before we develop AIs.

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, how does one get a virus with no intermet access?
Trojan horses on floppy disks (or CDs or USB sticks or whatever people use these days, because banning the internet doesn't mean everything has to be old-fashioned), or null-modem cables.

It's like a sexually-transmitted disease, I guess - can only be transmitted by close contact that doesn't happen very often, but it's really nasty when you do get one.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 am

Aussie has a point though - it seems a bit odd to be making an argument that having the internet makes you safer against viruses, as option 1 is doing.

I'm old enough to remember most computers being offline, and we bought our anti-virus software in a box. Viruses were a pretty rare problem back then.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 am

This is a really unique concept, very niche.

I think it'd work better if, in a way, options one and two were merged, and that merged option called for investment in infrastructure and "healthcare" meaningful to robocitizens; (electronic repair facilities, diagnostic centers, government hotlines, tech support).

The counter option could be rooted in the financial implications, and it could propose banning AI, or deporting robocitizens, as you currently propose in your third option.

That would leave option three to be your compromise, an internet-ban reversal.

In any case, best wishes. :)
Last edited by Candensia on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks all. I guess I was more interested in punning on viruses to parallel with humans, but I see CWA's point that the internet would probably expose them to more risk.

I think I'd still like the main thrust to be "restore internet/don't restore internet," maybe with a third option to approach it from a different angle (for certain validities).
Factbook
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:35 am

If I were an AI, my main reasons for wanting the internet would be:

1) ease of travel - I might make an argument that it makes no sense environmentally to move hardware about when I could be data moving through fibre optics.
2) communication with other AIs
3) entertainment / work

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:53 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:1) ease of travel - I might make an argument that it makes no sense environmentally to move hardware about when I could be data moving through fibre optics.
3) entertainment / work
2 and 3 are also reasons that humans want the internet.

As for ease of travel, sure, but it's also risky to upload yourself into remote hardware set up by someone else. You could be uploading yourself into a trap.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:1) ease of travel - I might make an argument that it makes no sense environmentally to move hardware about when I could be data moving through fibre optics.
3) entertainment / work
2 and 3 are also reasons that humans want the internet.

As for ease of travel, sure, but it's also risky to upload yourself into remote hardware set up by someone else. You could be uploading yourself into a trap.

True, but I'm sure there's ways around that. Handshake protocols, looking before you leap, back-up mindstates, that sort of thing.

Hey, that sounds like a grand issue idea. Someone page Autonomous Cleaner Bot dude.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:True, but I'm sure there's ways around that. Handshake protocols, looking before you leap, back-up mindstates, that sort of thing.
Sure, but what it comes down to is making sure anyone who sets up hardware for you is trustworthy.

Which, really, is similar to what humans have to deal with whenever they see a doctor. A surgeon could pretty easily do any number of nasty things to you when you're under anesthesia, and most people wouldn't notice until it's too late if the pharmacist gave them a pot of cyanide pills instead of what they're supposed to have. The difference is that humans usually only go to the doctor when there's something seriously wrong with them. If I had to get a doctor's prescription every time I want to leave my house, I'm sure medical malpractice would be a lot more common.

Also the digital nature of AIs probably makes it easier to steal data from them without them even noticing anything. Mind-reading, at least, is not something human doctors can do, even the shady ones.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 am

Transportation is part of what I was already aiming at, but updated slightly to accentuate that point.
Factbook
My issues

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:36 am

Looking great. You should be an editor or sumfing.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?