NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Service Dishonored

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:17 pm

There's grey areas, and there's boundaries to be pushed. I personally have a high tolerance for mature content, despite the fact that children will see the issues. I've published an issue about honour killing (632), for example. There's also issues about castrating rapists (75). On the flipside, we've always nixed any issues that mention paedophilia or child abuse, with the closest thing being a joke in the effect line of 648.1, and we've tried and failed to find a way to present an issue on FGM that passes all sensibilities.

So what you're describing here isn't no go, but its in that grey area. If this was a bad draft, then there'd be no problem with tossing it away.

As it is, we have to make a decision about appropriateness as a team. I'd suggest that as an author you'd be best off making that decision as easy as possible by keeping it toned down, and using allusions rather than explicit descriptions. The opening is pushing it, and option 1 goes too far, in my opinion. Dial it back a bit.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's grey areas, and there's boundaries to be pushed. I personally have a high tolerance for mature content, despite the fact that children will see the issues. I've published an issue about honour killing (632), for example. There's also issues about castrating rapists (75). On the flipside, we've always nixed any issues that mention paedophilia or child abuse, with the closest thing being a joke in the effect line of 648.1, and we've tried and failed to find a way to present an issue on FGM that passes all sensibilities.

So what you're describing here isn't no go, but its in that grey area. If this was a bad draft, then there'd be no problem with tossing it away.

As it is, we have to make a decision about appropriateness as a team. I'd suggest that as an author you'd be best off making that decision as easy as possible by keeping it toned down, and using allusions rather than explicit descriptions. The opening is pushing it, and option 1 goes too far, in my opinion. Dial it back a bit.

Alright. I'll get on it when I'm free.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:16 am

UPDATE: I removed any explicit details of the Corporal's abuse in Option One.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 am

Looking good!

Remember to pluralise 'female soldiers' in the description but otherwise I for one am a fan. :)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:10 pm

DESCRIPTION: After the revelation of systemic, high-reaching sexual abuse against female soldiers over the span of more than a decade and the failure of senior military officials in stopping it, the @@DENONYM@@ military has found itself in the midst of a public relations nightmare. As scrutiny mounts against the armed forces and their ability to keep female soldier safe, you have agreed to meet with one of the victims of the abuse.

Okay looking within tolerances for me. Can't speak for the team, but right now for me its okay.

Option 1: "I joined the army to serve my country, because I've always felt there was a duty for me to do so." says Corporal @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@, a victim of sexual abuse by one of her superiors. "I lived in perpetual fear and through a sense of overwhelming despair while I suffered through my ordeal. When the scandal broke and gained traction in the media, I felt... relief. Relief that it was over for me. But what about all the others who suffered? I want to see justice. I want women like me to feel safe serving their country. @@NAME@@ needs more protections for female soldiers and harsher penalties for rapists and those who enable them. Like life in prison."

The last sentence can't be used, as some nations ban prison.

Outcome: male soldiers offering handshakes to their female counterparts may be charged with sexual harassment

You've got a good sense for effect lines here, but maybe this is a bit too far ad absurdiam for the decision taken. After all, we're talking about punishing rape in the option, not cracking down on milder harassments.

Option 2: Colonel @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME(1)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(2)@@, newly-appointed commander of the base where this particular incident took place has accompanied Corporal @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@ to your office. "I tried to stop what was happening. I re-assigned dozens of officers and recommended courts martial for them all, but they would simply be be allocated to another base with a clear record. What I see here is a culture of intimidation, of utter disregard for the dignity of @@DENONYM@@ women. A lack of basic human empathy for others. Most of the perpetrators won't see real punishment with our current punishments and culture. We need a serious deterrent, @@LEADER@@. The long drop with a short stop should do the trick.

Outcome: the government has bulk-purchased thousands of yards of manila rope

Any reason that the commander needs to be male?

Also, as a general rule of thumb, lead with speech if the content of the speech is most pertinent, and lead with the identity of the speaker if that identity is the key piece of information. In this circumstance, you should open the option with speech, not the speaker's identity.

Same goes for the next option.

Option 3: As they leave the former commander of the base, Colonel @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME(2)@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME(3)@@ enters. "This would have never happened if women were not allowed into active duty or the reserves in the first place. When men and women are in crowded barracks, these... incidents are bound to happen. Now now, I'm not condoning what has happened, or defending the people who committed these acts! But to effectively curb scandals like these occurring in the future, drastic action must be taken." Saluting you, he leaves your office.

Outcome: the number of nursing school applicants has quadrupled

Not sure on the effect line's relevance here. Why would women denied a military career go into nursing?

Option 4: Hoping to take your mind off of this unfortunate topic, you pull out your phone only to find a text message from your nephew.

Player autonomy sin. Don't tell me what my character does or thinks, that's MY job as the player.

Opening the message, you read: "idk about you but imo having women serve in like a separate military service with limited roles and stuff would solve this whole military rape thing." As you read the message again another one appears on the screen: "also having a special female-only military force would be so sick cuz u know, guns and girls lol"

Outcome: the @@DENONYM@@ military is experiencing a gender identity crisis

Yeah, this option doesn't do much different from the previous one. Could be cut.

Anyway, there's now a bigger thing to review here. The issue remains very solid, and head and shoulders above most drafts here. However, it's a little serious throughout. This is, ultimately, a game of satire and comedy. You can do serious topics while still presenting comedy (albeit of a blacker sort). I'd point you again to #632 Dying for A Kiss here which deals with the horrific topic of honour killing, but still takes satirical stabs at its speakers in 2 of 3 options. Also, that issue delivers its message in a line or two in the description, and a line or two in each option. As per the How To thread (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=424657) remember that we're looking for Clarity, Story, Fun and Brevity. The first two you have attained. The second two aren't there yet.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Why assume that the rape victims are women? Men can be rape victims too
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why assume that the rape victims are women? Men can be rape victims too

Sure, but that's not the issue at hand, and doesn't need to be addressed.

You're sounding like the guy who attends a meeting about the institutionalised racism suffered by young black men in the workplace who stands up and says "but what about racism against white men?"

It sounds like you're making a valid point until you look at the numbers involved, the history, the context, and everything else... once those things have been examined it becomes clear that you've missed the point so hard that you've shot the guy behind you.

Sure men can be rape victims, but this issue is about the systematic mistreatment of women in the military. Which is a real thing. Saying "what about the men?" is frankly a dick move.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm

So I've addressed most of CA's concerns, save the biggest one. I'm still working on incorporating more humor into the issue.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why assume that the rape victims are women? Men can be rape victims too

Sure, but that's not the issue at hand, and doesn't need to be addressed.

You're sounding like the guy who attends a meeting about the institutionalised racism suffered by young black men in the workplace who stands up and says "but what about racism against white men?"

It sounds like you're making a valid point until you look at the numbers involved, the history, the context, and everything else... once those things have been examined it becomes clear that you've missed the point so hard that you've shot the guy behind you.

Sure men can be rape victims, but this issue is about the systematic mistreatment of women in the military. Which is a real thing. Saying "what about the men?" is frankly a dick move.

My thoughts precisely, minus the "dick move" part.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Sorry, I didn't have much time to work on this over the past weeks lol.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:31 am

Why is this limited to male-on-female sexual assault? Male-on-male sexual assault exists, and even female-on-male sexual assault. By limiting this to male-on-female sexual assault, you're ignoring male victims of sexual assault
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is this limited to male-on-female sexual assault? Male-on-male sexual assault exists, and even female-on-male sexual assault. By limiting this to male-on-female sexual assault, you're ignoring male victims of sexual assault

As both the author and Candle have explained to you, the systematic abuse and assault of women in the military is a specific real world problem that deserves a counterpart in the issues database. If you want to write one about male victims of sexual assault, please by all means do so. But given your past approach to topics of sensitivity - I distinctly recall your attitudes towards menstruation - I would suggest you don't.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:04 am

Yeah sorry I don't know why I haven't updated this, I've just been extremely busy lately irl lol
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Yeah sorry I don't know why I haven't updated this, I've just been extremely busy lately irl lol

It happens. I sometimes let things sit for a very long time, but then later come back to them.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Yeah sorry I don't know why I haven't updated this, I've just been extremely busy lately irl lol

It happens. I sometimes let things sit for a very long time, but then later come back to them.

Oh dear, you've retired! Uh... idk what to say congratulations? I just wanna say I appreciate everything you've done for the NSG community :)
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 am

So, do I still need to spice up this draft with more comedy/satire, or can I submit it. Rn my brain's at an impasse lol.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:29 pm

oof no response. I think I'll submit this soon.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:16 am

Submitted.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:15 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:46 am

Bears Armed wrote:Good luck!

Thank you!
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Good Luck!

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck!

Thanks! Though it has been a while..
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:54 am

I'm going to take a leap and assume that the issue didn't get accepted. Back to the drawing board, I guess?

Any ideas y'all have?
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:00 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:I'm going to take a leap and assume that the issue didn't get accepted. Back to the drawing board, I guess?

Any ideas y'all have?

You submitted this on October 5th. That's less than three weeks ago. Our oldest submitted player issue is March 2017 (our oldest submitted Staff issue is from 2016).

We will not tell you if it has been accepted (or if it has not been). That is a deliberate choice. At most, you may be receive a TG if/when an editor takes a submission to work on, asking what you think of the edits (not all editors do that, some do; and not all those that do so do it all the time).

Our best suggestion is always: every time you submit an issue, make a wish and move on to the next draft.

If you ever hear about it again, it will be a happy surprise.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Our oldest submitted player issue is March 2017 (our oldest submitted Staff issue is from 2016).

We will not tell you if it has been accepted (or if it has not been). That is a deliberate choice. At most, you may be receive a TG if/when an editor takes a submission to work on, asking what you think of the edits (not all editors do that, some do; and not all those that do so do it all the time).

Our best suggestion is always: every time you submit an issue, make a wish and move on to the next draft.

If you ever hear about it again, it will be a happy surprise.

And when the Editors say that there's nothing left in the 'submitted player issue' pool from before a certain date you'll be digging back through your records to see whether this means that anything that you submitted a while ago, but haven't heard anything about since, has now definitely been dropped...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:49 am

Though for the sake of covering all eventualities I should point out that rejected issues have been restored and published on several occasions, and there are sometimes issues that less active editors have checked out and held onto, which tend to only reappear when said editors have a burst of activity or retire (and thus return all checked out issues).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?