NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Fringe Benefits

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:54 am

Thepeopl wrote:Can you make an option: since transppl are more criminally inclined, total ban on trans?

And also an option: make all prisons mixed.

The implication is that people are transitioning while in prison, not before it.

But considering the way politics works, I see both of those as viable extra options.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Baggieland wrote:I'm going to say no to this, because I think it goes too far from the opening premise. As I mentioned earlier, there's another possible issue for nations with low civil rights and the abuse transgender prisoners face. I think your suggestions are also another possible issue for nations with extremely high civil rights, that already give all the protections mentioned in this issue to trans prisoners and are now debating whether to extend those protections to agender / non-binary / everyone else prisoners.

For sure, but the speaker doesn't identify as male or female. The speaker identifies as "alien", and the real person you've based the reference on is agender.

Why would someone who is agender propose that people get to pick their binary gendered institution? How does that help them?

I suggest instead then take out the reference to now identifying as alien.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Baggieland wrote:I'm going to say no to this, because I think it goes too far from the opening premise. As I mentioned earlier, there's another possible issue for nations with low civil rights and the abuse transgender prisoners face. I think your suggestions are also another possible issue for nations with extremely high civil rights, that already give all the protections mentioned in this issue to trans prisoners and are now debating whether to extend those protections to agender / non-binary / everyone else prisoners.

For sure, but the speaker doesn't identify as male or female. The speaker identifies as "alien", and the real person you've based the reference on is agender.

Why would someone who is agender propose that people get to pick their binary gendered institution? How does that help them?

I did wonder - this issue is about trans women, so why does this speaker have to be nonbinary in the first place?
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Thepeopl wrote:Can you make an option: since transppl are more criminally inclined, total ban on trans?

And also an option: make all prisons mixed.

Your first suggestion is for people on the outside, this issue is for people on the inside. Your second suggestion is for prisons in general / all inmates, this issue is about trans prisoners only.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:For sure, but the speaker doesn't identify as male or female. The speaker identifies as "alien", and the real person you've based the reference on is agender.

Hediacrana wrote:I did wonder - this issue is about trans women, so why does this speaker have to be nonbinary in the first place?

Well, that alien quote didn't work out, did it? :)

I'm just going to revert back to the 'identifies as whatever' bit, but I've changed it to Mettaton's own words of 'don't know, don't care'.

8th draft is up!!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:37 am

2nd page bump and last call!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:59 am

I like it. On effect lines:

[EFFECT] the @@CAPITAL@@ Women's Prison singing group now has a baritone section
Funny! Though I'd just say choir instead of singing group. Sounds more colloquially correct.

[EFFECT] a prison in a small @@DEMONYM@@ city has an expensive new wing to house a single transgender prisoner
Could just be "sometimes a whole prison wing will house a single prisoner"

[EFFECT] the harmonious soprano and baritone sections make the @@CAPITAL@@ Men's Prison singing group a must-see experience
Didn't we more or less do this joke earlier in the issue? I suggest replacing with

[EFFECT] prison officers are easily identifiable from their habit of using the pronoun "zhe" for all inmates
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[EFFECT] the @@CAPITAL@@ Women's Prison singing group now has a baritone section
Funny! Though I'd just say choir instead of singing group. Sounds more colloquially correct.

I agree and originally I had 'choir' in there, I changed it because of non-Christian nations. I've changed it again to 'vocal club'.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:a prison in a small @@DEMONYM@@ city has an expensive new wing to house a single transgender prisoner
Could just be "sometimes a whole prison wing will house a single prisoner"

That's better, changed.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:prison officers are easily identifiable from their habit of using the pronoun "zhe" for all inmates

Changed slightly to: prison officers are easily identifiable from their habit of using the pronoun 'zhe' all the time. By using the word 'inmates' it suggests this happens in prison - in prison, prison officers are easily identifiable by their uniforms! Also, with my slight change - it could be considered that the officers are using 'zhe' outside of work as well, hence a very successful training program!

Anyway, I've gone ahead and submitted it now.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck

:hug:

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?