NATION

PASSWORD

PUBLISHED BY BAGGIE- 1327- Which Right is Right?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

PUBLISHED BY BAGGIE- 1327- Which Right is Right?

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Hey, another recycled issue!

[title] Which Right Is Right

[desc] A long-awaited undsesea highway linking @@NAME@@ to the island nation of Merged Monarchy has been built, and motorists are rejoicing, or would be- if it weren't for the fact that Merged Monarchy drives on the opposite side of the road to @@NAME@@. Whilst the changeover happens easily, once in @@NAME@@, foreign motorists are confused over which side to drive on. You have been called for an emergency meeting to help decide how to solve the problem before there's an accident

[validity] Must allow international travel, must allow cars

[option] "@@LEADER@@, I have the solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your Minster of Roads. "What we need to do is to erect more signage and road markings reminding people to drive on the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ side of the road. We need to remind motorists which nation they are in, and remind them which side of the road we drive on."
[effect] even the tiniest backstreets remind drivers which side of the road the nation drives on

[option] "These Merged Monarchists are a bunch of idiots," complains traffic controller Barbara Psaltis, who's notorious for yelling at motorists who's steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side. "I mean, I caught a Merged Monarchist going the wrong way 'round the round-a-bout. How do you that? I mean everyone knows that countries who drive on the left side of the road go clockwise, and countries who drive on the right side of the road go anti-clockwise. And don't tell me signage will help, that signs will help. I mean that sign clearly had arrows pointing which way to go. We need to ban Merged Monarchists from driving here until they learn which side to go on."
[effect] foreigners motorists must complete a 400-hour course about which side of the road to drive on

[option] "I have the solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Creative Solutions. "Why don't we just make all of our roads be one way? That way, it doesn't matter which side of the road you drive on, and doesn't matter which side the steering wheel is on. It doesn't matter where you sit in the car, or on the road, only the direction you travel. Now, as for round-a-bouts, well, uh… hey did you watch that new TV show last night, you know the one where…"
[effect] new highways are all one way

[title] Which Right Is Right

[desc] A long-awaited undsesea highway linking @@NAME@@ to the nation of Merged Monarchy has been built, and motorists are rejoicing, or would be- if it weren't for the fact that Merged Monarchy drives on the opposite side of the road to @@NAME@@. Whilst the changeover happens easily, once in @@NAME@@, foreign motorists are confused over which side to drive on. You have been called for an emergency meeting to help decide how to solve the problem before there's an accident

[validity] Must allow international travel, must allow cars

[option] "@@LEADER@@, I have the solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your Minster of Roads. "What we need to do is to erect more signage and road markings reminding people to drive on the @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ side of the road. We need to remind motorists which nation they are in, and remind them which side of the road we drive on."
[effect] even the tiniest backstreets remind drivers which side of the road the nation drives on

[option] "These Merged Monarchists are a bunch of idiots," complains traffic controller Barbara @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, who's notorious for yelling at motorists who's steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side. "I mean, I caught a Merged Monarchist going the wrong way 'round the round-a-bout. How do you that? I mean everyone knows that countries who drive on the left side of the road go clockwise, and countries who drive on the right side of the road go anti-clockwise. And don't tell me signage will help, that signs will help. I mean that sign clearly had arrows pointing which way to go. We need to ban Merged Monarchists from driving here until they learn which side to go on."
[effect] foreigners motorists must complete a 400-hour course about which side of the road to drive on

[option] "The problem was this entire highway?" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I say that we tear it down! There is absolutely no need to have a highway linking @@NAME@@ to the Merged Monarchy! Tear the bloody waste of money down!"
[effect] major infrastructure projects are torn down for trivial reasons

[option] "I have the solution," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Creative Solutions. "Why don't we just make all of our roads be one way? That way, it doesn't matter which side of the road you drive on, and doesn't matter which side the steering wheel is on. It doesn't matter where you sit in the car, or on the road, only the direction you travel. Now, as for round-a-bouts, well, uh… hey did you watch that new TV show last night, you know the one where…"
[effect] new highways are all one way
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:who's notorious for yelling at motorists with the steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side.

I assume this is a typo?
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:who's notorious for yelling at motorists with the steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side.

I assume this is a typo?

Where's the typo?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:I assume this is a typo?

Where's the typo?

"who's notorious for yelling at motorists with the steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side." is what I believe he's referring to.
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Yep, probably should have clarified it's more of a grammatical error or word choice error, but still.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Oh, I see. Fixed, thanks. Thanks Sherp and USSR

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:21 pm

No problemo, my Australian friend
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:16 am

Australian rePublic wrote:] "The problem was this entire highway?" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I say that we tear it down! There is absolutely no need to have a highway linking @@NAME@@ to the Merged Monarchy! Tear the bloody waste of money down!

Wouldn't building something, then tearing it down be the greatest waste of money?

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:29 am

Why is it an undersea highway?

The narrative is entirely the same regardless of whether or not the road is above or below the surface. If it's going to be beneath the surface, then the unique setting must be exploited in some way, through jokes or watery wordplay.

That being said, I think placing the highway above ground makes the whole thing a bit more believable. :)
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Next Draft is up. Thanks Baggie and Cand

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:] "The problem was this entire highway?" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@. "I say that we tear it down! There is absolutely no need to have a highway linking @@NAME@@ to the Merged Monarchy! Tear the bloody waste of money down!

Wouldn't building something, then tearing it down be the greatest waste of money?

Option removed, thanks
Candensia wrote:Why is it an undersea highway?

The narrative is entirely the same regardless of whether or not the road is above or below the surface. If it's going to be beneath the surface, then the unique setting must be exploited in some way, through jokes or watery wordplay.

That being said, I think placing the highway above ground makes the whole thing a bit more believable. :)

I specified the undersea tunnel because last time I posted this draft, everyone was asking why it took so long to build such a highway. I'll specify that Merged Monarchy is an island nation. Thanks for the feedback!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Bump

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Last call

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:34 am

Issue 1327
Thanks to Baggieland for the publish, and thanks to everyone else who helped in the drafting and editing process
Also
Original draft thread of this issue
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?