NATION

PASSWORD

{RE-DRAFT} Fireflies Spread like Wildfire

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Galrythia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

{RE-DRAFT} Fireflies Spread like Wildfire

Postby Galrythia » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:02 am

Fireflies Spread like Wildfire

Desc: Recently, 800,000 locals have complained to the government about an epidemic of fireflies that are spreading throughout the nation very swiftly, and that local pest control are not moving in to remove them because "they might catch fire."

Option 1: "This is Outrageous!" screams your Health Secretary Mila Dawson, slamming 30 pictures of fireflies onto your desk, "these nasty little things must be removed at once! God knows what they'll do to the neighbourhood?! It'll be like the Great Fire of @@CAPITALCITY@@ all over again! We must take action and we must take it now!"

Fallout: Firefighters are commonly called in for "firefly nest removal".

Option 2: "It's those Maxtopians again. They brought them over here!", moans Jason Davies, a professional Diplomat, "I tell you what we should do: we should shut our trade routes, shoot down foreign planes and turn the country to famine for a week! That'll stop those naughty pests from bringing their pests over here!"

Fallout: Everyone aboard a Foreign Airliner has died after it was shot down under suspicions of "firefly smuggling".

Option 3: "Now, hold on a second," reasons your Minister of Wildlife David Davison, "maybe these fireflies aren't so bad after all? This nation could use some light in it's more dimmer corners, and it'll certainly get the tourists moving. I say we keep them!"

Fallout: The milky way is no longer visible in the night sky due to "various cases of light pollution".
Last edited by Galrythia on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Galskia
Kaiser Aaron II von Adalbert
Originally Founded April 16th, 2017
Been on NS Since 2015
Head Nation of the Kumo Belief

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:58 am

It's usally a good idea to draft for a while before submitting. We can't offer you any advice now, because you can't change your submission.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Galrythia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Galrythia » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:24 am

Aclion wrote:It's usally a good idea to draft for a while before submitting. We can't offer you any advice now, because you can't change your submission.

It was originally a draft, but i decided to submit it after reviewing it myself.
Galskia
Kaiser Aaron II von Adalbert
Originally Founded April 16th, 2017
Been on NS Since 2015
Head Nation of the Kumo Belief

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Galrythia wrote:Desc: Recently, 800,000 locals have complained to the government about an epidemic of fireflies that are spreading throughout the nation very swiftly, and that local pest control are not moving in to remove them because "they might catch fire."
If the issue is intended for nations whose citizens are utter morons, you should specify that in the validity.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Galrythia wrote:
Aclion wrote:It's usally a good idea to draft for a while before submitting. We can't offer you any advice now, because you can't change your submission.

It was originally a draft, but i decided to submit it after reviewing it myself.

Bad idea
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:15 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Galrythia wrote:Desc: Recently, 800,000 locals have complained to the government about an epidemic of fireflies that are spreading throughout the nation very swiftly, and that local pest control are not moving in to remove them because "they might catch fire."
If the issue is intended for nations whose citizens are utter morons, you should specify that in the validity.

I'm not sure it's believable that the pest control of any nation would be that lacking in knowledge about insects.

Also, a large number of fireflies does not seem like an issue for a national leader. From what I can gather, the firefly is not a harmful insect. In fact, fireflies are in decline.

OP, I suggest you try a draft on another topic.

Also, you need to draft before you submit, and it can take weeks to months to perfect a draft.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:35 am

I imagine he was making a pun on the name 'firefly' and using its possible ambiguity for humour. Are all issues supposed to be realistic?
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:48 am

Great Nortend wrote:I imagine he was making a pun on the name 'firefly' and using its possible ambiguity for humour. Are all issues supposed to be realistic?

Issues need verisimilitude, which is to say that they need to be plausible within the logic of the game.

They also need to be notable -- which is to say, a matter that a leader of a country would pay attention to.

This draft does not meet either criteria.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:11 pm

Great Nortend wrote:Are all issues supposed to be realistic?
In general, yes, issues take place in a more-or-less-like-real-life world. While there are a few issues featuring science-fiction-y technologies that don't currently exist, it should still be assumed that "firefly" in an issue refers to more or less the same type of animal as it does in real life, and that insects which are literally made of fire are biologically implausible. Even bombardier beetles aren't a serious fire hazard in real life, and they're doing their best.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Wait, fireflies have been around for ever. Why are they all of a sudden a problem now?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?