NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] We Didn't Start The Fire

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] We Didn't Start The Fire

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 am

Based on this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424

Changed from battery acid to burning alive, partially to minimise the overlap with the existing issue about acid attacks, partially to create a little fictional distance from the real case, and partially so I can segue into the Wicker Man thing in option 3.

TITLE:
We Didn't Start The Fire

VALIDITY:
Some political freedom. Immigration not banned.

DESCRIPTION:
A TV comedian on a late night panel show recently said that certain far right politician deserved to be doused in gasoline and set alight. The next day, the politician had a petrol can sloshed over him by an unidentified assailant, though thankfully no immolation took place.

OPTION 1
"I've frankly had enough of all the hate directed against me," rages the politician, as he stands under a poster equating immigrants to cockroaches. "This so-called comedian should be arrested and charged with incitement to violence. Frankly, we're better off without thuggish violent people like her." He shoves past your Bigtopian aide as he storms out of the room.

OUTCOME:
films about zombie-killing are condemned as being necrophobic

OPTION 2
"The context here was that someone was suggesting throwing custard at him, and I said why stop at custard, why not throw gasoline over him, light a match and do the country a favour," explains the comedian. "I mean, clearly it was a joke, because people laughed. Well, I laughed. I mean, I wouldn't actually advocate throwing gas and a match at him. I mean, just use a molotov cocktail, that'd be much more effective. That's a joke again, by the way. Don't do it. Unless you want to. No, don't. I mean to say, don't censor comedy. Or I'll set fire to you. Joke."

OUTCOME:
suffixing hate speech with "just joking" makes it okay

OPTION 3
"Honestly, maybe bringing a little literal fire into politics isn't a bad idea," suggests your brother. "Let's not limit ourselves to particular ideologies though - I suggest we round up all the politicians, protesters and dissenters who keep questioning your decisions, and put them inside some sort of wicker cage, ironically shaped like a 50-foot man. Then we set the whole thing ablaze, and watch our problems turn to ashes."

OUTCOME:
Sumer is Icumen in
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 am

For sure, Sumer is Icumen in is possibly too obscure and tangential a reference here, but it'll placehold till I think of a better line.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:37 am

Jeez. The second speaker needs to learn where to stop
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02 am

For sure, it'd be much more effective for the option to read:

"Free speech in comedy and political satire is important," says the comedian.

However, the lack of verbal self-control is intentional here, and meant to be in keeping with being the sort of comedian who would make an unguarded comment like this in the first place.

Option 3 alternate outcome lines:

- the great outdoors often smells of barbecues
- political dissent is heating up

More accessible for sure, not sure if they're better or not. Opinions welcome.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A TV comedian on a late night panel show recently said that certain far right politician deserve to be doused in gasoline and set alight.
"Deserved"/"deserves".

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 am

Option 3 kind of implies that @@LEADER@@ is not a conservative
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A TV comedian on a late night panel show recently said that certain far right politician deserve to be doused in gasoline and set alight.
"Deserved"/"deserves".

Thanks, altered.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3 kind of implies that @@LEADER@@ is not a conservative

I'm not sure it does. Brother is suggesting burning ANYONE who opposes you, not specifically one political leaning.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3 kind of implies that @@LEADER@@ is not a conservative

I'm not sure it does. Brother is suggesting burning ANYONE who opposes you, not specifically one political leaning.

Fine

Ehenhet Dralgad
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ehenhet Dralgad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:28 am

Perhaps "the country's new burned pork scent can only be praised" for the third option's fallout?
The password is faithbreaker. Don't make me regret telling you.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:11 am

This is a very neat issue. Can't really criticise it to be honest, good job!

Ehenhet Dralgad wrote:Perhaps "the country's new burned pork scent can only be praised" for the third option's fallout?

Delightfully dark.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Although I like the reference in option 3's effect line, I feel the general population of Nationstates will have no idea what it means.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Whoops, you've already adressed the problem with the last effect line. Maybe "all's fire in love and war?"

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 am

What I'll do is leave it as it is for now, but present the alternatives to the team if it ever comes to edit.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?