NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Mott's Tots

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Mott's Tots

Postby Altmer Dominion » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Maybe not my most serious draft, but I had a laugh when thinking about this. Yes, not even GI can escape The Office.

Draft 3:
[name] Mott's Tots

[description] A few years ago during a speech at the opening of a new preparatory school servicing @@CAPITAL@@'s most disadvantaged neighborhood, Education Minister Rachael Mott made an off-handed remark implying that the government might reward the entire inaugural class with full ride scholarships to their colleges of choice. Unfortunately, she was only reminded of this comment today upon receiving an invitation to the upcoming graduation ceremony, replete with personal stories from many gracious students and families.

[option] "My department just doesn't have the funding to fulfill such a large payment," sobs your Education Minister, blowing her nose in a tissue. "I have to own up to my mistake; those students spent years anticipating promised scholarships. There has to be another way to reroute some extra @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ to fix this. Isn't their some other department that could take a temporary hit for this cause-- perhaps the military, for once?"
[effect] textbook preorders are paid for in blood money

[option] "I wholeheartedly reject any effort to weaken the troops!" barks General @@RANDOMNAME@@, writing your name down on a clipboard for insubordination. "Lest anyone accuse me of being unsympathetic, I propose a different plan of attack! Provided the students sign up for a branch of the armed forces, my office will gladly help pay for their subsequent education. In fact, I think this should be a policy for anyone with the will to serve. This shall bolster our ranks, instill discipline in the next generation, and provide an anchor for many an educational opportunity! I don't see a downside!"
[effect] military caskets are often draped with the fallen soldier's masters thesis

[option] "Have you considered a meritocratic approach?" inquires your brother, reviewing a pile of expenditure reports. "The education budget isn't completely strained, although full rides for everyone are still obviously out of the question. I think it's sensible to reward the highest-performing students first, then provide diminishing returns to those with less stellar cumulative grades. It may be seen as a betrayal to some of the students, but let's face it -- if there's a straight-F pupil, it's not like throwing money at them is going to magically fix their habits at University."
[effect] education is prioritised for those who need it the least

[option] "It's time to go further!" shouts student activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a picket sign outside of your office. "This isn't a mistake, but the beginning of a revolution! Instead of only focusing on one school, @@NAME@@ should commit to providing a Universal College Education for all students! While a hefty tax increase will be needed to finance such a system, it's a small price to pay for ensuring what should be considered an inalienable human right!"
[effect] cleaners are more likely to hold a degree in Sanitation Management than a mop

Draft 2:
[name] Mott's Tots

[description] A few years ago during a speech at the opening of a new preparatory school servicing @@CAPITOL@@'s most disadvantaged neighborhood, Education Minister Rachael Mott made an off-handed remark implying that the government might reward the entire inaugural class with full ride scholarships to their colleges of choice. Unfortunately, she was only reminded of this comment today upon receiving an invitation to the upcoming graduation ceremony, replete with personal stories from many gracious students and families.

[option] "My department just doesn't have the funding to fulfill such a large payment," sobs your Education Minister, blowing her nose in a tissue. "I have to own up to my mistake; those students spent years anticipating promised scholarships. There has to be another way to reroute some extra @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ to fix this. Isn't their some other department that could take a temporary hit for this cause-- perhaps the military, for once?"

[option] "I wholeheartedly reject any effort to weaken the troops!" barks General @@RANDOMNAME@@, writing your name down on a clipboard for insubordination. "Lest anyone accuse me of being unsympathetic, I propose a different plan of attack! Provided the students sign up for a branch of the armed forces, my office will gladly help pay for their subsequent education. In fact, I think this should be a policy for anyone with the will to serve. This shall bolster our ranks, instill discipline in the next generation, and provide an anchor for many an educational opportunity! I don't see a downside!"
[effect] military caskets are often draped with the fallen soldier's masters thesis

[option] "Have you considered a meritocratic approach?" inquires your brother, reviewing a pile of expenditure reports. "The education budget isn't completely strained, although full rides for everyone are still obviously out of the question. I think it's sensible to reward the highest-performing students first, then provide diminishing returns to those with less stellar cumulative grades. It may be seen as a betrayal to some of the students, but let's face it -- if there's a straight-F pupil, it's not like throwing money at them is going to magically fix their habits at University."
[effect] college opportunities can rest on the difference of a single grade percentage point

[option] "It's time to go further!" shouts student activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a picket sign outside of your office. "This isn't a mistake, but the beginning of a revolution! Instead of only focusing on one school, @@NAME@@ should commit to providing a Universal College Education for all students! While a hefty tax increase will be needed to finance such a system, it's a small price to pay for ensuring what should be considered an inalienable human right!"
[effect] libertarians grumble about "college debt" of a different kind

Draft 1:
[name] Mott's Tots

[description] A few years ago during a speech at the opening of a new preparatory school servicing @@CAPITOL@@'s most disadvantaged neighborhood, Education Minister Rachael Mott made an off-handed remark implying that the government might reward the entire inaugural class with full ride scholarships to their colleges of choice. Unfortunately, she was only reminded of this comment today upon receiving an invitation to the upcoming graduation ceremony, replete with personal stories from many gracious students and families.

[option] "My department just doesn't have the funding to fulfill such a large payment," sobs your Education Minister, blowing her nose in a tissue. "I have to own up to my mistake; those students spent years anticipating promised scholarships. Although I could chip in some of my own salary, there has to be another way to reroute some extra @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ to fix this. Isn't their some other department that could take a temporary hit for this cause-- perhaps the military, for once?"

[effect] military caskets are often draped with a fallen soldier's masters thesis

[effect] college opportunities can rest on the difference of a single grade percentage point

[effect] libertarians grumble about "college debt" of a different kind
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:48 am

Doesn't seem believable that he'd offer up his own salary. Seems more likely to me that a politician would say that he'll pay for it out of his department's budget, but that maybe that budget could use some uplift to make sure that other important education initiatives don't have to be cut.

Suggesting that his salary should be taken to pay for the promise sounds like something a shortchanged student would ask for.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm

If she does pay from her own pocket, the I don't see why it's a problem
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 am

Exactly, that's why paying from his own pocket should be something imposed, not something voluntarily offered.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 am

I would not expect a single polician's salary to be enough to pay for something on this scale.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I would not expect a single polician's salary to be enough to pay for something on this scale.

It would depend. In the USA or Australia, a politician wouldn't have a snowflake's chance in hell of paying for this on their salary alone. In China or North Korea, on the other hand... isn't communism glorious
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:45 am

Finally taking a look at this draft again. Per advice, I struck out the employee pay suggestion.
Issues Authored

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:21 am

Not sure on third and fourth effect lines. #3 seems a bit too much of a description of the decision, #4 I think is hard to understand without context so would look odd on a front page.

I suggest:

3:
[effect] education is prioritised for those who need it the least

4:
[effect] cleaners are more likely to hold a degree in Sanitation Management than a mop

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:08 pm

I like those effect lines. Changed.
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Any other comments?
Issues Authored

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:05 am

@@CAPITAL@@ not @@CAPITOL@@. Otherwise looks good to me.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Thanks, CWA. Submitted.
Issues Authored

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Good luck!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?