NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Primarily Unsuited

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Primarily Unsuited

Postby Chan Island » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:30 am

The nation's attention is on Central Centre of Middle @@NAME@@ District because of a hotly contested by-election taking place... well, partially. Mostly they have been fixated on the antics of @@RANDOMNAME@@, who is somehow both your bigger hater and your party's candidate

validity: must have primaries, must have political parties, must be a democracy.
Possibly first past the post, but don't think that is strictly necessary

[option] "Look at these statements," commands @@RANDOMNAME@@, your notorious political head cracker, shoving the results into your face. " '@@LEADER@@' is a stinky so-and-so?' Honestly? We're going to get hammered if we keep this joker as our candidate, and we're already looking at some close votes in some crucial upcoming laws, and I don't have time to try and convince another freaking opposition member to go our way. Boot this bozo and next time not put our members through another unfunny primary."
[effect] elections are close calls between grey suit 1 and grey suit 2

[option] "It might bite the hand that feeds us doing that," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Compromise. "We should be asking ourselves why our own party members are so eager to vote against you instead... and distance ourselves a bit from them. How about we change the primary system itself? If us politicians had a 50/50 say versus the membership, we could be a good brake to stop our party going down the drain."
[effect] political conventions regularly turn into shouting matches

[option] "I'm running on issues in this race and just because you're one of them doesn't mean I'm going to not mention it." And so sashays the candidate, party rosette dutifully on, into the office. @@HE@@ turns to you. "You know what would really solve the problems in this country, instead of passing stupid, out of touch laws that even the party membership dislikes?! Going to the people, finding out their concerns and campaigning. Like, say, in my election and taking part in some of my rallies? Go on, take the plunge, trust the membership and revel in the challenge!"
[effect] 'party' is an advisory label
Last edited by Chan Island on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:11 pm

But this guy won, so what's everyone worried about?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:But this guy won, so what's everyone worried about?

They won the primary, but not the actual by-election (which they look set to lose). I think I'm being clear in that in this issue, but if you don't think so let me know and I'll reword it. :)
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Ehenhet Dralgad
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ehenhet Dralgad » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Does NationStates need more clown issues?

Despite my reservation, I'll do my best to apply a grammar brush:
"and thus is your official candidate" should be "and who is thus your official candidate"
"next time not put our" should be "next time let's not put our"
"It might bite our hand doing that" should be "Doing that might bite our hand" or "Doing that might be biting our own hand"

I find it intriguing that the author of the issue has placed the politicians as the hand that feeds the voters in the second option. A more conventional way to say the same thing without the implicit superiority strike would be, "Doing that might be biting the hand that feeds us", which would place the voters as the hand that feeds the politicians. I find the implied feeder-role of the "compromising" politician in the proposed issue's second option pleasantly redolent of implied society and suggestive of why the voters might have opted to vault a clown upon the stage political.
Last edited by Ehenhet Dralgad on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The password is faithbreaker. Don't make me regret telling you.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 pm

You might want to make clear that the primary winner was a tasteless circus clown right from the description get-go. Perhaps I'm just too cynical these days, but my mental picture up until reading the explicitly-telegraphed third option was an uncharitable(?) interpretation of a Boris Johnson-type of politician.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:But this guy won, so what's everyone worried about?

They won the primary, but not the actual by-election (which they look set to lose). I think I'm being clear in that in this issue, but if you don't think so let me know and I'll reword it. :)

I see. What's the difference between the primaries and the bielection? Is the bielection for his seat? If not, then why have 2 different sets of elections?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

I see. What's the difference between the primaries and the bielection? Is the bielection for his seat? If not, then why have 2 different sets of elections?

The primaries are where a political party votes to pick its nominee, and the winner of the primary goes and competes against the other candidates from other parties in the actual election. The dilemma in this issue draft is Leader's political party somehow ended up with a circus clown getting chosen as their official nominee.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Ehenhet Dralgad wrote:Does NationStates need more clown issues?

Despite my reservation, I'll do my best to apply a grammar brush:
"and thus is your official candidate" should be "and who is thus your official candidate"
"next time not put our" should be "next time let's not put our"
"It might bite our hand doing that" should be "Doing that might bite our hand" or "Doing that might be biting our own hand"

I find it intriguing that the author of the issue has placed the politicians as the hand that feeds the voters in the second option. A more conventional way to say the same thing without the implicit superiority strike would be, "Doing that might be biting the hand that feeds us", which would place the voters as the hand that feeds the politicians. I find the implied feeder-role of the "compromising" politician in the proposed issue's second option pleasantly redolent of implied society and suggestive of why the voters might have opted to vault a clown upon the stage political.

Altmer Dominion wrote:You might want to make clear that the primary winner was a tasteless circus clown right from the description get-go. Perhaps I'm just too cynical these days, but my mental picture up until reading the explicitly-telegraphed third option was an uncharitable(?) interpretation of a Boris Johnson-type of politician.

Good point about the clowns, and I've come up with a better one anyway. Hopefully the majority of that reservation will go now. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Des: @@NAME@@ District? Isn't the whole country @@NAME@@ District?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:27 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Des: @@NAME@@ District? Isn't the whole country @@NAME@@ District?

The District is actually called "Central Centre of Middle @@NAME@@ district". I'll capitalise the 'D' to make it more clear.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?