NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] An un-emusing dilemma

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT] An un-emusing dilemma

Postby Bormiar » Thu May 30, 2019 2:36 pm

Thought I'd enter myself in. It's a reference to the Emu War. Thanks!

Two potential draft twos
Title: An un-emusing dilemma

Description: The local militia of a @@DENONYM@@ town has sent out a distress signal, having been unable to repress an invasion of 20,000 @@ANIMAL@@s.

"We are calling in from @@RANDOMNAME@@ Military Base", announces the staticky voice of Sergeant @@RANDOMNAME@@. Despite the lack of audibility, it is clear that @@HE@@ is panicking. "The @@ANIMAL@@s have killed 100 men already! We- We can’t hold out much longer! We are requesting permission to abandon the base and get out of here! We need to evac-". The voice cuts out to the sounds of seasoned war veterans screaming in terror.

Effect: @@NAME@@’s land has been reduced to large cities and extremely well-equipped military bases, as the rest is off-limits.

[Note: I do want to address that this issue would be much funnier if the @@ANIMAL@@ is a large flightless bird, rather than something like a jaguar. One possible solution could be that we just say "emu". The other is to have it be an Easter egg for all nations with a bird as their @@ANIMAL@@. If you have any thoughts on that, please post it here on the forum thread.]

"I agree with the voice coming out of that radio doohickey, sir. There are too darned many of them to get out, sir, so we should head for the hills", says farmer Huckleberry Calhoun, who was lucky enough to be visiting family in @@CAPITAL@@ during the invasion. "But with all these @@ANIMALS@@s eating our crops there’s not much we can do to feed ourselves. If you could send some money over to help us survive, it would be much appreciated. I promise you we’re all good honest people. We won’t abuse it."

Effect: victims of home squatting make more money than lawyers

"Why don’t you send in, you know, the military?", condescends journalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who became famous for authoring From Fake News Blogger to Investigative Journalist: Why Real Life is Funnier than @@LEADER@@’s Affairs. "At this point, they’re an invading force. If you send in the soldiers, I’m almost positive they’ll make quick work of them and get great target practice. C’mon man, I’ll lose my job if I can’t get a good story out."

Effect: thousands of @@ANIMAL@@ corpses prevent @@DENONYM@@ farmers from farming

Second possible effect line: beheading @@ANIMAL@@s is a popular carnival game

Normal option 4:

"I personally welcome our @@ANIMAL@@ overlords", says @@RANDOMNAME@@, who your secretary caught smoking weed in the bathroom. "Think about it, man. All humans ever do is pollute the environment and hunt! We don’t deserve that land. After all, they were there first".

Effect: picking flowers after a bee has landed on them is a crime

Option 4 if the player picked option 3 in issue 737:

"Just let your @@ANIMAL@@ overlords have the land", coos the infamous Bird Lady, who claims to have orchestrated the invasion. "Remember how well we served you against Tasmania? Well, if you continue to fight the flock, we will have to respond less… diplomatically". The Bird Lady flaps her giant wings, then runs away cackling madly.

Description: The farmers of a @@DENONYM@@ town have hired mercenaries to repress an invading force of 20,000 @@ANIMAL@@s, but little progress has been made in the past 2 months.

"There are too darned many of them for all our mercenaries to get out, sir.", says farmer Huckleberry Calhoun, who has been chosen as diplomat due to his impeccable dinner-table manners. "And with all these @@ANIMALS@@s eating our crops there’s not much we can do to feed ourselves. If you could send some money over to help us survive, and perhaps repay us for the mercenaries, it would be much appreciated. I promise you we’re all good honest people. We won’t abuse it."

"Why don’t you send in, you know, the military?", condescends journalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who became famous for authoring From Fake News Blogger to Investigative Journalist: Why Real Life is Funnier than @@LEADER@@’s Affairs. "At this point, they’re an invading force. If you send in our professional soldiers, rather then those redneck 'mercenaries’, they’ll make quick work of them and get great target practice. C’mon man, I’ll lose my job if I can’t get a good story out."

Effect: thousands of @@ANIMAL@@ corpses prevent @@DENONYM@@ farmers from farming

Normal option 4:

"I personally welcome our @@ANIMAL@@ overlords", says @@RANDOMNAME@@, who your secretary caught smoking weed in the bathroom. "Think about it, man. All humans ever do is pollute the environment and hunt! We don’t deserve that land. After all, they were there first".

"Just let your @@ANIMAL@@ overlords have the land", coos the infamous Bird Lady, who claims to have orchestrated the invasion. "Remember how well we served you against Tasmania? Well, if you continue to fight the flock, we will have to respond less… diplomatically". The Bird Lady flaps her giant wings, then runs away cackling madly.

Description: A full-scale invasion by 20,000 @@ANIMAL@@s has resulted in the occupation of the majority of @@NAME@@’s farmland.

"I’m sorry to bother you, sir, but with all these @@ANIMALS@@s eating our crops there’s not much we can do to feed ourselves", says farmer Huckleberry Calhoun, his head bowed as he nervously holds his straw hat with both of his calloused hands. "There’s too darned many of them to get out, sir. If you could send some money over to help us survive it would be much appreciated. I promise you we’re all good honest people. We won’t abuse it."

"Why don’t you send in, you know, the military?", suggests journalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who became famous for authoring From Fake News Blogger to Investigative Journalist: Why Real Life is Funnier than @@LEADER@@’s Affairs. "At this point they’re basically an invading force. If you send in the soldiers, they’ll make quick work of them and get great target practice. C’mon man, I’ll lose my job if I can’t get a good story out."

Last edited by Bormiar on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 31, 2019 4:46 am

Ah the Great Emu War.

I'm sure we have something on this, either a submitted draft or a published issue. I'll get back to you.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 am

Ah, here we are, thought it sounded familiar:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=443011

Can't find it in the submitted or deleted folders though, so maybe it was never sent in.

My comments to that thread apply here too, namely:

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It seems a little odd to me to be so heavily referencing the Great Emu War and not have any reference to how unsuccessful it was.

How would you feel about pitching it differently in narrative terms? That is, have it that local authorities called in assistance from the nearby military base, who have proved to be hopelessly ineffective for the task.
It could then be done as looking at what can be done in response to this, with almost the same options, but with option 1 representing an escalation rather than a first military response.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri May 31, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri May 31, 2019 5:50 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Ah, here we are, thought it sounded familiar:

Can't find it in the submitted or deleted folders though, so maybe it was never sent in.

It wasn't. I put it on one side for further thought after the comments, and then got distracted by other things. I'll give Bormiar a chance to get their draft completed, now, but if they give up then maybe I'll revive mine.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri May 31, 2019 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 31, 2019 4:03 pm

But what if @@NAME@@ farms animals?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:But what if @@NAME@@ farms animals?

I suppose I could change it to say "agriculturer".

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Ah, here we are, thought it sounded familiar:

My comments to that thread apply here too, namely:

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It seems a little odd to me to be so heavily referencing the Great Emu War and not have any reference to how unsuccessful it was.

How would you feel about pitching it differently in narrative terms? That is, have it that local authorities called in assistance from the nearby military base, who have proved to be hopelessly ineffective for the task.
It could then be done as looking at what can be done in response to this, with almost the same options, but with option 1 representing an escalation rather than a first military response.

I really like this! It could be much funnier that way.

Bears Armed wrote:It wasn't. I put it on one side for further thought after the comments, and then got distracted by other things. I'll give Bormiar a chance to get their draft completed, now, but if they give up then maybe I'll revive mine.

Thank you.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:42 pm

The problem is that it violates player autonomy to just assume that a nation will try to exterminate animals en masse, given that there are many issue options that allow you to respond to invasive species by letting them stay or otherwise discourage the hunting of animals.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:22 am

Trotterdam wrote:

The problem is that it violates player autonomy to just assume that a nation will try to exterminate animals en masse, given that there are many issue options that allow you to respond to invasive species by letting them stay or otherwise discourage the hunting of animals.

My solution to that was probably going to be a two-issue sequence: firstly, how should we respond to the invasion; and then, if the 'war' option was chosen, how should we respond to its initial lack of success.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 am

Trotterdam wrote:

True, but autonomy generally is most strongly protected with regards to @@LEADER@@, moderately protected with regards to your government and only weakly protected with regards to the actions of people in your nation.

If the initial emu extermination attempt was undertaken by farmers employing private mercenaries, maybe that could work? We also have an in-game policy that tracks whether mercenaries are legal/used that could be checked against.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:27 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:If the initial emu extermination attempt was undertaken by farmers employing private mercenaries, maybe that could work?
I'm not going to comment on the plausibility, but that premise is hilarious.

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:58 am

Fourth option: The Bird Lady will solve your precious little emu problem... In exchange for a sacrifice! Or nationwide municipal accommodation for large birds. Or something. This feels like it's crying for a callback.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:32 pm

So... for the second draft, I've read the feedback, and have decided to rewrite the first draft and have made two variants, one the local militia calling in, which slightly hurts player autonomy, and the other involves farmers who have hired mercenaries (which would get a mercenary policy).

Description: The local militia of a @@DENONYM@@ town has sent out a distress signal, having been unable to repress an invasion of 20,000 @@ANIMAL@@s.

"We are calling in from @@RANDOMNAME@@ Military Base", announces the staticky voice of Sergeant @@RANDOMNAME@@. Despite the lack of audibility, it is clear that @@HE@@ is panicking. "The @@ANIMAL@@s have killed 100 men already! We- We can’t hold out much longer! We are requesting permission to abandon the base and get out of here! We need to evac-". The voice cuts out to the sounds of seasoned war veterans screaming in terror.

Effect: @@NAME@@’s land has been reduced to large cities and extremely well-equipped military bases, as the rest is off-limits.

[Note: I do want to address that this issue would be much funnier if the @@ANIMAL@@ is a large flightless bird, rather than something like a jaguar. One possible solution could be that we just say "emu". The other is to have it be an Easter egg for all nations with a bird as their @@ANIMAL@@. If you have any thoughts on that, please post it here on the forum thread.]

"I agree with the voice coming out of that radio doohickey, sir. There are too darned many of them to get out, sir, so we should head for the hills", says farmer Huckleberry Calhoun, who was lucky enough to be visiting family in @@CAPITAL@@ during the invasion. "But with all these @@ANIMALS@@s eating our crops there’s not much we can do to feed ourselves. If you could send some money over to help us survive, it would be much appreciated. I promise you we’re all good honest people. We won’t abuse it."

"Why don’t you send in, you know, the military?", condescends journalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who became famous for authoring From Fake News Blogger to Investigative Journalist: Why Real Life is Funnier than @@LEADER@@’s Affairs. "At this point, they’re an invading force. If you send in the soldiers, I’m almost positive they’ll make quick work of them and get great target practice. C’mon man, I’ll lose my job if I can’t get a good story out."

Normal option 4:

Description: The farmers of a @@DENONYM@@ town have hired mercenaries to repress an invading force of 20,000 @@ANIMAL@@s, but little progress has been made in the past 2 months.

"There are too darned many of them for all our mercenaries to get out, sir.", says farmer Huckleberry Calhoun, who has been chosen as diplomat due to his impeccable dinner-table manners. "And with all these @@ANIMALS@@s eating our crops there’s not much we can do to feed ourselves. If you could send some money over to help us survive, and perhaps repay us for the mercenaries, it would be much appreciated. I promise you we’re all good honest people. We won’t abuse it."

"Why don’t you send in, you know, the military?", condescends journalist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who became famous for authoring From Fake News Blogger to Investigative Journalist: Why Real Life is Funnier than @@LEADER@@’s Affairs. "At this point, they’re an invading force. If you send in our professional soldiers, rather then those redneck 'mercenaries’, they’ll make quick work of them and get great target practice. C’mon man, I’ll lose my job if I can’t get a good story out."

Normal option 4:

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:10 am

Bumping in case anyone has any thoughts on this draft.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am

What does this have to do with 1234?

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Krogon wrote:What does this have to do with 1234?

Nothing. Does it need to have something to do with 1234?

If so, then I'll just enter it normally, as I like this draft.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Bormiar wrote:
Krogon wrote:What does this have to do with 1234?

Nothing. Does it need to have something to do with 1234?

Yeah, did you not read the post about the competition? It needs to have something to do with 1234...

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Krogon wrote:
Bormiar wrote:Nothing. Does it need to have something to do with 1234?

Yeah, did you not read the post about the competition? It needs to have something to do with 1234...

I read it twice and hadn't noticed that before. Maybe it was edited. Thanks.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:14 am

Bormiar wrote:
Krogon wrote:Yeah, did you not read the post about the competition? It needs to have something to do with 1234...

I read it twice and hadn't noticed that before. Maybe it was edited. Thanks.

No problem. I still like this draft, though. Dont get me wrong.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Postby Bormiar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:53 am

Krogon wrote:
Bormiar wrote:I read it twice and hadn't noticed that before. Maybe it was edited. Thanks.

No problem. I still like this draft, though. Dont get me wrong.

Thank you!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?