NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED 20/5/19] Good Guy with a Gun

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED 20/5/19] Good Guy with a Gun

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 am

DRAFT THREE: Changes from last iteration underlined.
TITLE:

Good Guy with a Gun

VALIDITY:

Lotsa gun freedoms. Capitalism

DESCRIPTION:

Angry at being newly-unemployed, gunman @@randomname(male)@@ took to the mall and shot dead three people before a nearby coffee shop waitress disabled and captured him with five rounds from her automatic pistol. Unfortunately, as she stood over him gun in hand, a mall security guard thought she was the threat, and took her out with an SMG, and he in turn was shot by a libertarian who thought the state was finally coming to take his gun away. By the time the police arrived (and gunned down fifteen more would-be heroes who they had mistaken for terrorists) the total death toll had reached fifty-seven.

OPTION 1

"Personally, I call that a win," exalts @@CAPITAL@@ Rifle and Revolver Association representative @@randomname@@, firing a round into the air in celebration. "I mean, how many people would the initial gunman have killed if nobody had stopped @@HIM(1)@@? More than fifty-seven that's for sure. More guns equals more safety. Maybe the government ought to recognise that by picking up half the cost of every gun purchased. Oh, and uh... and thoughts and prayers to the families of the deceased and all that, yada yada."

OUTCOME:

financial investors are noting a boom in artillery

OPTION 2

"Hell, yeah!" agrees Sheriff @@randomname@@, spinning and holstering @@HIS@@ sidearm, and accidentally discharging a round into the floorboards. "Though, y'know, maybe more gun discipline would help. People who use guns should be forced to attend training seminars run by responsible and well-paid local sheriffs. That'll help them to learn target discrimination, gun safety and all that. And... uh... yes... what a tragedy... our hearts go out to the bereaved."

OUTCOME:

gun-wielding criminals always wear appropriate eye and ear protection

OPTION 3

"Uh, we could try not letting people have these devices designed to murder and maim," ventures a long-haired liberal hippy, insensitively disrespecting the dead by launching into yet another tirade of typical freedom-hating, commie, anti-gun ranting. It's possible @@HE@@ has more to say on this, but to be honest, no-one's listening, right?

OUTCOME:

it turns out that the government can have your guns by prying them out of your warm living hands

DRAFT TWO:
TITLE:

Good Guy with a Gun

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Angry at being newly-unemployed, gunman @@randomname(male)@@ took to the mall and shot dead three people before a nearby coffee shop waitress disabled and captured him with five rounds from her automatic pistol. Unfortunately, as she stood over him gun in hand, a mall security guard thought she was the threat, and took her out with an SMG, and he in turn was shot by a libertarian who thought the state was finally coming to take his gun away. By the time the police arrived (and gunned down fifteen more would-be heroes who they had mistaken for terrorists) the total death toll had reached fifty-seven.

OPTION 1

"Personally, I call that a win," celebrates Sheriff @@randomname@@, spinning and holstering @@HIS@@ sidearm, and accidentally discharging a round into the floorboards. "I mean, how many people would the initial gunman have killed if nobody had stopped @@HIM(1)@@? More than fifty-seven that's for sure. The government should show our gratitude for our guns by subsidising the arms industry. Uh... and thoughts and prayers to the families of the deceased and all that, yada yada."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 2

"Hell, yeah!" agrees @@CAPITAL@@ Rifle and Revolver Association representative @@randomname@@, firing a round into the air in celebration. "Though, y'know, maybe more gun discipline would help. People who use guns should be forced to attend gun club seminars, to learn target discrimination, gun safety, and all that. And... uh... yes... what a tragedy... our hearts go out to the bereaved."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 3

"Uh, we could try not letting people have these devices designed to murder and maim," ventures a long-haired liberal hippy, insensitively disrespecting the dead by launching into yet another tirade of typical freedom-hating, commie, anti-gun ranting. It's possible @@HE@@ has more to say on this, but to be honest, no-one's listening, right?

OUTCOME:

it turns out that the government can have your guns by prying them out of your warm living hands

DRAFT ONE
TITLE:

Good Guy with a Gun

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Angry at being newly-unemployed, gunman @@randomname(male)@@ took to the mall and shot dead three people before a nearby coffee shop waitress disabled and captured him with five rounds from her automatic pistol. Unfortunately, as she stood over him gun in hand, a mall security guard thought she was the threat, and took her out with an SMG, and he in turn was shot by a libertarian who thought the state was finally coming to take their guns away. By the time the police arrived (and gunned down fifteen more would-be heroes who they had mistaken for terrorists) the total death toll had reached fifty-seven.

OPTION 1

"Personally, I call that a win," celebrated Sheriff @@randomname@@, spinning and holstering @@HIS@@ sidearm, and accidentally discharging a round into the floorboards. "I mean, how many people would the initial gunman have killed if nobody had stopped @@HIM(1)@@? More than fifty-seven that's for sure. The government should show our gratitude for our guns by subsidising the arms industry. Those guys can always use a little help."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 2

"Hell, yeah!" agrees gun club enthusiast @@randomname@@, firing a round into the air in celebration. "Though, y'know, maybe more gun discipline would help. People who use guns should be forced to attend NRA seminars, to learn target discrimination, gun safety, and all that."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 3

"Look, some of us aren't happy!" interrupts paraplegic twelve-year-old @@randomname@@, who doctors say is lucky to have survived @@HIS@@ recent gunshot wound with @@HIS@@ life. "I mean, if I had a gun too, then I would have been able to shoot the guy who was shooting at me, and I wouldn't be in a wheelchair now. Leaving kids defenceless is morally wrong, @@LEADER@@, we should be allowed guns too!"

OUTCOME:

modified Nerf guns fire live rounds

OPTION 4

"Uh, we could try not letting people having guns," ventures a long-haired liberal hippy, with another round of typical commie anti-gun ranting. It's possible @@HE@@ has more to say on this, but to be honest, no-one is listening.

OUTCOME:

Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 am, edited 15 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 am

Draft 1 is too wordy, I know. Just sticking the story down first, and then seeing what I can trim.

Based on RL incidents, of course, though turned up to 11 for satire.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/15/us/c ... index.html
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Angry at being newly-unemployed, gunman @@randomname(male)@@ took to the mall and shot dead three people before a nearby coffee shop waitress disabled and captured him with five rounds from his automatic pistol.
A waitress disabled him with his pistol? Did she somehow wrestle the gun away from him first, or did you mix up your pronouns when you meant to say she had a pistol of her own?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:it turns out that the government can have your guns by prying them out of your warm alive hands
I think "living" sounds more natural than "alive" here. I'm not sure why, but even though you can say "the X is alive", "the alive X" feels wrong somehow.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Draft 1 is too wordy, I know. Just sticking the story down first, and then seeing what I can trim.
I don't feel the individual options are too wordy, although I do think that option 3 seems rather tangential to the main issue, so it could stand to be cut (or replaced with another option if anyone has any good ideas).

...That's all I have to say. I quite like the rest of the issue.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Not a fan of mentioning NRA by name, and it needs some polish for grammatical things like Trott pointed out, but should work once it's cleaned up.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks, Trotterdam, changes made. You're right about option 3, and actually cutting it entirely may address my concerns with option length. I think we've done the whole gun-toting child thing before anyway, or it's one of my other drafts.

Have cut it, cheers for the insight.

Re: NRA, I was sure they were already mentioned by name in another issue, but looking at it, it looks like that reference was fixed in the past. I'll take that out too. I see that there's been a @@CAPITAL@@ Rifle and Revolver Association in the past, so I'll use that.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed May 15, 2019 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Thanks, Trotterdam, changes made. You're right about option 3, and actually cutting it entirely may address my concerns with option length. I think we've done the whole gun-toting child thing before anyway, or it's one of my other drafts.
Yeah, that was at my suggestion, actually, though you tweaked it by making it also about sexism.

It was more appropiate there because the children were already part of the narrative.

I can't find it in the accepted issues list, but I hope it makes the cut.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Hell, yeah!" agrees @@CAPITAL@@ Rifle and Revolver Association representative @@randomname@@, firing a round into the air in celebration. "Though, y'know, maybe more gun discipline would help. People who use guns should be forced to attend gun club seminars, to learn target discrimination, gun safety, and all that."
By the way, I assume the hypocricy here is entirely intentional?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 am

Trotterdam wrote:By the way, I assume the hypocricy here is entirely intentional?

Oh, absolutely. Hypocrisy is a fine tradition for NS option speakers.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 15, 2019 4:26 pm

How exactly did mall security make that mistake?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Stormcalling
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormcalling » Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am

Why would a libertarian observer mistake a mall security guard for a state agent? Should this issue only arise in nations with ubiquitous paramilitarism? If they saw enough to know that the barista wasn't the initial shooter, it would make more sense if it was an act of vengeance against a tyrannical state agent, but that still leaves open the question of why the nation's rent-a-cops look like jackboots.

Police retraining because of the "fifteen more mistakes" seems like it would be appropriate for this mess, but I think that's aptly covered by the implications of selecting option 2.

The celebratory mood of the pro-gun speakers is annoying, given that what I think would happen in the real world would be "hearts, prayers, and police retraining" speeches by conservatives. Still, the celebration represents the scenario as I've heard people express their expectations of it. I think people will recognize this isn't how anyone would really react.
Last edited by Stormcalling on Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
As of this signature's authoring (5/10/2019), all nations presently in Tusdeta are controlled by one player. The full alt list can be found here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1207785

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How exactly did mall security make that mistake?

Easy enough to imagine, I think. Imagine you're a security guard, and you get told there's a shooter on Level 3. You run there, and as you approach you see someone with a gun, standing over someone lying on the floor, pointing a gun at their head. The guy on the floor has a leg wound, and there's blood everywhere.

And as per the link above (and lots of other instances you can google) this isn't an uncommon thing at all. In fact, there was a police chief who commented that the presence of would-be heroes makes his job really hard, as there's no easy way to quickly determine who is trying to make the situation better, and who is making it worse.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am

I'm going to add a line about thoughts and prayers, based on that comment I think

"Uh... and thoughts and prayers to the families of the deceased and all that, yada yada."

Added that to the option 1 cop.

Stormcalling wrote:Why would a libertarian observer mistake a mall security guard for a state agent? Should this issue only arise in nations with ubiquitous paramilitarism?

Naa, all they saw was a waitress with a gun being gunned down by a man in a uniform. It's all within the realm of satire.

Police retraining because of the "fifteen more mistakes" seems like it would be appropriate for this mess, but I think that's aptly covered by the implications of selecting option 2.

For sure, and I considered an "improve the police" option, as well as a "only let the police have guns".

The celebratory mood of the pro-gun speakers is annoying, given that what I think would happen in the real world would be "hearts, prayers, and police retraining" speeches by conservatives. Still, the celebration represents the scenario as I've heard people express their expectations of it. I think people will recognize this isn't how anyone would really react.

Right, it's satire. Satire with an anti-gun bias, to be fair, but I've tried to balance that a little by making the last speaker someone who isn't even worth listening to. I could go further, for the sake of balance, of course, but trying to be too reasonable is always going to take the bite out of satire.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 17, 2019 8:21 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:For sure, and I considered an "improve the police" option, as well as a "only let the police have guns".
Isn't option 3 the "only let the police have guns" one?

I mean, it could be interpreted as banning all guns for everybody including the military, but that's a pretty extreme position that I'm not inclined to assume just from "has more to say on this, but to be honest, no-one is listening" (even if the speaker does support that somewhere in the rant, we're not going to implement the parts we're not listening to, right?).

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Stormcalling wrote:The celebratory mood of the pro-gun speakers is annoying, given that what I think would happen in the real world would be "hearts, prayers, and police retraining" speeches by conservatives. Still, the celebration represents the scenario as I've heard people express their expectations of it. I think people will recognize this isn't how anyone would really react.
Right, it's satire. Satire with an anti-gun bias, to be fair, but I've tried to balance that a little by making the last speaker someone who isn't even worth listening to. I could go further, for the sake of balance, of course, but trying to be too reasonable is always going to take the bite out of satire.
It might be a factor that currently both of the first two speakers have pretty much the same personality (celebrating through recklessly-unsafe gun usage, then half-heartedly offering condolences as an afterthought), differing only in the exact position they're supporting. I think a more diverse cast would be preferable.

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Fri May 17, 2019 10:50 am

Love the description. It occurs to me that the speakers in the first two options should be reversed - i.e. the sheriff is more likely to want some kind of gun safety rules than the arms dealer gun rights activist. That or comprehensive gun laws for "the wrong sort of people" - why, didn't you know that Bigtopian-@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are more than twice as likely to be imprisoned for violent crimes as other inhabitants of our fair country???

This is gonna be a good'un.
Last edited by Logophilia Lyricalia on Fri May 17, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 pm

I’m pretty pro-gun and was still laughing my head off, I only hope other pro-gun individuals can as well.

Just a couple of comments:

Not sure people are going to understand what “SMG” means off the bat, even if they get the gist.

I think the description would read better if it was “shot three people dead” instead of the current phrasing of those words.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:Love the description. It occurs to me that the speakers in the first two options should be reversed - i.e. the sheriff is more likely to want some kind of gun safety rules than the arms dealer gun rights activist.

I see you haven't yet met any of the Sheriffs from Colorado's 2nd Amendment Sanctuary counties.

That said, the line "the government should show our gratitude for our guns by subsiding the arms industry" should probably be attributed to the '@@CAPITAL@@ Rifle and Revolver Association' instead of a Sheriff, if kept in at all. It's almost verbatim a frequent talking point the American Left accuses the National Rifle Association of doing. Essentially, if the line is kept in, that's the only speaker where it really makes sense, considering the wider political context. However, attributing it to an NRA-analogue will make any American reader immediately be able to detect the writer's bias -- they'll know where it's coming from.

Honestly, the line is a bit on the nose anyway. Don't have anything off the top of my head, but it could stand to be subtler without explicitly mentioning the (presumably) affected industry.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 pm

How is option three not the "right" option?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri May 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Aclion wrote:How is option three not the "right" option?

Because it is anti-freedom.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

Altmer Dominion wrote:That said, the line "the government should show our gratitude for our guns by subsiding the arms industry" should probably be attributed to the '@@CAPITAL@@ Rifle and Revolver Association' instead of a Sheriff, if kept in at all. It's almost verbatim a frequent talking point the American Left accuses the National Rifle Association of doing. Essentially, if the line is kept in, that's the only speaker where it really makes sense, considering the wider political context. However, attributing it to an NRA-analogue will make any American reader immediately be able to detect the writer's bias -- they'll know where it's coming from.

Honestly, the line is a bit on the nose anyway. Don't have anything off the top of my head, but it could stand to be subtler without explicitly mentioning the (presumably) affected industry.
The problem here is that NationStates doesn't like options which do nothing. The first option doesn't really say anything beyond "what just happened is fine, and we don't mind it happening again, so no change is law is necessary" except that it also asks for those subsidies, without which it would be a pseudo-dismiss. (I guess maybe you could add something about implementing a violent version of good samaritan laws, where people are explicitly protected from being prosecuted for killing someone they thought was a menace, even if they later turn out to have been wrong.)

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun May 19, 2019 8:53 pm

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:
Aclion wrote:How is option three not the "right" option?

Because it is anti-freedom.

Suppose the recipient doesn't value gun rights.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sun May 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Aclion wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:Because it is anti-freedom.

Suppose the recipient doesn't value gun rights.

This issue will only be assigned to nations that greatly value gun rights.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 am

Right.

Draft 3 will flip the speaker's around and tighten up the wordings. Good calls, y'all.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 am

Stormcalling wrote:

Not always though. There was a lot of celebration after the San Antonio Church Shooting for the guy who stopped the shooter, especially on the sort of NRA TV type places. Not that they were celebrating 26 people tragically killed, but it sometimes was a bit downplayed in order to hammer through a pro-second amendment argument.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Right.

Draft 3 will flip the speaker's around and tighten up the wordings. Good calls, y'all.

It's looking good! Really enjoyed the set-up and am looking forward to this being in the game.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 20, 2019 4:09 am

Draft 3 up. Swapped the speakers, and tweaked their propositions slightly to give more self-interest.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 am

You can submit this now.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 am

Heh, I normally let them sit for at least a month, often two. Six days would be super quick for me. But if you're telling me you want this issue sooner, I can certainly send it in. :)
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?