NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ language regulations under attack

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ language regulations under attack

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:32 pm

After the recent publication of the best selling stories this year the surprising number one is "Bob and the golden poool" which was created by @@RANDOMNAME@@ a 6 year old child. Despite this book gripping the nation a group from the national institute of literature has come to you requesting this book be banned from the shelves of @@NAME@@.

Validity: none

Option 1: "Do you know what this book can do to our profession?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@ with a sense of worry "Our profession takes decades to master and here comes some juvenile who can't even spell pool properly and takes the spotlight! If this book is allowed to continue it will devastate our litrical reputation and even the vocabulary of our great nation in the future. You must put a stop to this now!" They then leave hastily.
All new books must be approved by the institute of literature before publication.

Option 2 "How could they even consider this." says one of your aides after listening into the meeting from outside. "I've read this book and I believe it is a brilliant piece of work and I'm not alone! Forget these snobs they are only interested in saving their own skin keep this book out."

Bob and the golden poool has recieved a record for the most sales of any book in the whole of @@REGION@@ this year.

Option 3: "You know this idea may not be so bad for us" says a shrouded figure who appeared out of nowhere. "With your help we can produce half a dozen books by the end of the year all with messages to help promote m.. I mean the nations industry's it'll help us all. Trust me and you won't regret it". They then disappear again without trace.

Dave and the hapy cow have done unexpected wonders for the cheese industry.

After the recent publication of the best-selling stories this year the surprising number one is "Bob and the golden poool" which was created by @@RANDOMNAME@@ a 6 year old child. Despite the crude punctuation and grammar this book has gripped the nation. However a group from the national institute of literature has come to you requesting this book be banned from the shelves of @@NAME@@.

Validity: none

Option 1: "Do you know what this book can do to our profession?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@ with a sense of worry "Our profession takes decades to master and here comes some juvenile who can't even spell pool properly and takes the spotlight! I can’t believe that someone would even consider publishing this tosh in the first place. This publishing and editing company should be stricken of the right to publish as an example to others who would attempt to ruin our profession. And while you are at it, we would greatly appreciate if you would give our institution the right to censor future publications to avoid such a tragedy again." They then leave hastily.

Effect: aspiring authors must complete a rigorous exam from the institute of literature before even being allowed to write a book draft

Option 2 "How could they even consider this." says one of your aides after listening into the meeting from outside. "I've read this book and I believe it is a brilliant piece of work, so what if a few words are wrong or a few misplaced full stops it is a great story and I know I am not alone on this. Forget these snobs they are only interested in saving their own skin. I implore you keep this book on our shelves!”

Effect: Bob and the golden poool has received the record for the most sales of any book in the whole of @@REGION@@ this year

Option 3: "You know this idea may not be so bad for us" says a shrouded figure who has just appeared out of nowhere. "With your help we can produce half a dozen books by the end of the year all with messages to help promote m.. I mean the nations industries; it'll help us all. Trust me and you won't regret it." They then disappear again without trace.

Effect: Dave and the hapy cow have done unexpected wonders for the cheese industry

Option 4: “Since when do we answer to the industry?” says @@RANDOMNAME@@ who happens to be your cousin. “We should be looking out for ourselves. With the reputation of this book we can use it to help your popularity and keep us in power. So what do you say?”

Effect: @@LEADER@@ the animmals best friend has seen your popularity in polls shoot up

After the regulation of the @@NAME@@ language there has been a sharp rise in sales of books going against these rules including one particular one called “Bob and the golden poool” which was written by a 6 year old. As this situation is proving to be a threat to this plan a meeting is called of how to best deal with this situation.

Validity: Must have language regulation policy (not sure of official name)

Option 1: "Do you know what these books can do to our profession?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@ with a sense of worry "Our great language being mocked and brought down by some juvenile who can't even spell pool properly and the likes. Clearly, we must take greater action starting with the ability to take away the rights of these publishing and editing companies to publish as an example to others who would attempt to ruin our language. And while you are at it, we would greatly appreciate if you would give our institution the right to censor future publications to avoid such a tragedy again." They then leave hastily.

Effect: aspiring authors must complete a rigorous exam from the institute of literature before even being allowed to write a book draft

Option 2 "How could they even consider this." says one of your aides after listening into the meeting from outside. "I've read this book and I believe it is a brilliant piece of work, so what if a few words are wrong or a few misplaced full stops. Literature is the life of our nation and we can’t just ban everything if it doesn’t reach the standards of a few. Forget these snobs they are only interested in saving their own skin. I implore you keep these books on our shelves!”

Effect: Bob and the golden poool has received the record for the most sales of any book in the whole of @@REGION@@ this year

Option 3: “Why stop there?” Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ who is a language student. “It is a well-known fact that languages which do not evolve cease to exist and if we allow this situation to continue, we could be looking at the extinction of our language just to satisfy a few people. I implore you to lift these rules and save our language.”

Effect: you can no longer understand the half of the vocabulary in a conversation since the ban was uplifted

After the regulation of the primary language of @@NAME@@ there has been a sharp rise in sales of books which does not support this ethos even including one book called “Bob and the golden poool” which was written by a 6 year old. As the situation is severely undermining this plan a meeting is called of how to best deal with this situation.

Validity: Nations must have answered option 1 in issue #1175.

Option 1: "Do you know what these books can do to our plans?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, from the national institute of language etiquette, with a sense of worry "Our great language being mocked and brought down by some juvenile who can't even spell pool properly and the likes. Clearly, we must take greater action starting with the ability to take away the licencing rights off these publishing and editing companies and any store which would sell them as an example to others who would attempt to ruin our language. And while you are at it, we would greatly appreciate if you would give our institution the right to censor future publications to avoid such a setback again." They then leave hastily.

Effect: aspiring authors must complete a rigorous exam from the institute of language etiquette before even being allowed to write a book draft

Option 2 "How could they even consider this!" says one of your aides ,with a great sense of anger, after listening into the meeting from outside. "I've read this book and I believe it is a brilliant piece of work, so what if a few words are wrong or a few misplaced full stops. Literature is the life of our nation and we can’t just ban everything if it doesn’t reach the standards of a few. Forget these snobs they are only interested in saving their own skin. I implore you keep these books on our shelves!”

Option 3: “Why stop there?” Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ who is a language student. “It is a well-known fact that languages which do not evolve cease to exist just look at what happened to ancient Maxtopian. If we were to allow this situation to continue, we could be looking at the extinction of our own language just to satisfy a few peoples pride. I implore you to lift these rules and save our language.”

Effect: you can no longer understand half of the vocabulary in an average conversation since the restrictions were uplifted

After the introduction of the language purification policy of @@NAME@@ there has been a sharp retaliation including the rise in sales and new publications of books which do not support this ethos. As the situation is severely undermining this plan a meeting has been called of how to best deal with this situation.

Validity: Nations must have answered option 1 in issue #1175.

Option 1: "Do you know what these books can do to our plans?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, from the national institute of language etiquette, with a sense of worry. "Our great language being mocked and brought down! I mean just the other day I saw one book called “Bob and the golden poool” which is apparently the bestselling story book this month. Clearly, we must take greater action starting with the ability to take away the licencing rights off these publishing and editing companies and any store which would sell them as an example to others who would attempt to ruin our language. And while you are at it, we would greatly appreciate if you were to give our institution the right to censor future publications to avoid such a setback again." They then leave hastily.

Effect: aspiring authors must complete a rigorous exam from the institute of language etiquette before even being allowed to write a book draft

Option 2 "How could they even consider this!" says one of your aides, with a great sense of distress, after listening into the meeting from outside. "I myself have purchased many of the books in question and I believe they are brilliant pieces of work. So what if a few words are wrong or a misplaced full stop here and there? Literature is the life of our nation and we can’t just ban something if it doesn’t reach the standards of a few. Forget these snobs, they are only interested in saving their own skin, please keep these books on our shelves!”

Option 3: “Why stop there?” Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ who is a highly respected linguist. “It is a well-known fact that languages which do not evolve cease to exist. I mean just look at what happened to ancient Maxtopian. If we were to allow this situation to continue, we could be looking at the extinction of our own language just to satisfy a handful of people’s own ego’s. We must turn back on this project and save our language.”

Effect: you can no longer understand half of the vocabulary in an average conversation now the project has now ended

After the introduction of the purification policy of the @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ language there has been a sharp retaliation by the public including the rise in new publications and sales of books which do not support this ethos. As this particular situation is severely undermining the plan, a meeting has been called on how to best deal with this situation.

Validity: 1175.1

Option 1: "Do you know what these books can do to our plans?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, from the national institute of language etiquette, with a sense of worry. "Our great language is being mocked and brought down! Just the other day I saw one book called Bob and the golden poool which is apparently the bestselling story book for the adult market this month! Clearly, we must take greater action starting with the ability to take away the licencing rights off these publishing companies and any store which would sell them as an example to others! And while you are at it, we would greatly appreciate it if you would give our institution the right to censor future publications to avoid such a setback again."

Option 2 "How could they even consider this!" says one of your aides, with a great sense of distress, after listening into the meeting from outside. "I myself have purchased many of these books in question and I believe they are brilliant pieces of work. So what if a few words are wrong or a misplaced full stop here and there? Literature is the life of our nation. We can’t just censor something if it doesn’t reach the standards of a few. Forget these snobs, they are only interested in saving their own skin, I implore you please keep these books on our shelves!”

Effect: Bob and the golden poool has received the most sales of any book in the whole of @@REGION@@ this year

Option 3: “Why stop there?” Says @@RANDOMNAME@@ who is a highly respected linguist. “It’s a well-known fact that languages which don’t evolve cease to exist, just look at what happened to ancient Maxtopian. If we allow this policy to continue, we could be looking at the extinction of our own language just to satisfy a handful of people’s egos’.”

Effect: you can no longer understand half of the terminology in an average conversation
Last edited by Earthbound Immortal Squad on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Merry Christmas!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm

I think this might be more interesting as a child labor issue rather than a quality of literature issue.

And I think you mean "literary" rather than "litrical."
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:40 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think this might be more interesting as a child labor issue rather than a quality of literature issue.

You mean something like the child is being used by the parents to make more money for themselves?
Merry Christmas!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Publishers have editors, you know. The only reason they'd publish a book with all the spelling errors included is if they think the spelling errors add to the charm (like, making it feel more genuine as something that a child would write).

USS Monitor wrote:And I think you mean "literary" rather than "litrical."
It's some kind of rule of the internet. Anyone criticizing someone else's spelling will make a spelling mistake himself. Even if the someone else, in this case, is fictional.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Option 1- okay, so who can publish books? All adults? Or only trained authors?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:34 am

Appreciate the feedback so far I am going to wait a little while for anything more then start work on an improved second draft.
Merry Christmas!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 am

Placed up a second draft with some improvements.
Merry Christmas!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:26 am

Effect lines aren't sentences, so they shouldn't be capitalized or have any ending punctuation
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:01 am

USS Monitor wrote:Effect lines aren't sentences, so they shouldn't be capitalized or have any ending punctuation

Thanks I've just changed that.
Last edited by Earthbound Immortal Squad on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Christmas!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 am

It's an interesting concept.

Trotterdam wrote:Publishers have editors, you know. The only reason they'd publish a book with all the spelling errors included is if they think the spelling errors add to the charm (like, making it feel more genuine as something that a child would write).
USS Monitor wrote:And I think you mean "literary" rather than "litrical."
It's some kind of rule of the internet. Anyone criticizing someone else's spelling will make a spelling mistake himself. Even if the someone else, in this case, is fictional.

In the GA forum, we joke that proposals on Education are required to have spelling or grammar errors...
;)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:52 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think this might be more interesting as a child labor issue rather than a quality of literature issue.

Alternatively this could be an interesting followup for nations that have started to regulate their language via #1175.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:16 am

I've decided to alter the pretext of the issue so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Merry Christmas!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Earthbound immortal squad wrote:For the 3rd draft I have decided to change the pretext to act as a follow on issue for #1175 I'm not sure of the name of the policy so if you know I would really appreciate it. Also the new title is a work in progress.

It's not a policy. You can still do a follow-up as a chain issue. Give the number of the option(s) that you want it chained to.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am

Released a 4th draft.
Merry Christmas!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:28 pm

1175 is about borrowed words and this is about misspellings. It seems a little vague how we got from that to this.

And once you have a final decision on what direction you're taking this, you're still going to want to tighten up the writing a little. Iron out things like "@@NAME@@ language" in the title. For example, if Germany (the RL country) got this issue, the title would read "Germany language in need of dier help." That doesn't look right. If you can think of a snappier title, that would be nice.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:37 pm

USS Monitor wrote:1175 is about borrowed words and this is about misspellings. It seems a little vague how we got from that to this.

And once you have a final decision on what direction you're taking this, you're still going to want to tighten up the writing a little. Iron out things like "@@NAME@@ language" in the title. For example, if Germany (the RL country) got this issue, the title would read "Germany language in need of dier help." That doesn't look right. If you can think of a snappier title, that would be nice.

My line of thought is that since option 1 starts to remove words which are foreign that these events are sort of a backlash to that policy. Taking the total opposite to that policy would be something like this or perhaps the rise of colloquial/derogatory language. I decided to tone down the whole misspelling part and just used it as a brief example. I definitely see your point about the title I'll see if I can come up with anything better.

"A group of disgruntled language connoisseurs are complaining that loan-words from the Galliennais language are 'contaminating the native tongue of @@NAME@@' . They are calling for a government sponsored language purification project, robbing you of your joie de vivre as you try to relax and enjoy your pamplemousse cocktail."

This is where I am taking the issue background from.
Last edited by Earthbound Immortal Squad on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Christmas!

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:23 pm

I have a few suggestions, though right now I can't write all of them.

My first is to rename this to "The Golden Poool of Language" since your premise is stating that people are regulating the language to make it better, thus creating a "golden pool" of words. It's up to you though.

Second, a few changes to the premise:

"After the regulation of the primary language of @@NAME@@ there has been a sharp rise in sales of books which does not support this ethos even including one book called “Bob and the golden poool” which was written by a 6 year old. As the situation is severely undermining this plan a meeting is called of how to best deal with this situation."

I suggest you rewrite it as such.

"@@@NAME@@@'s language regulation program has been met with severe backlash from all kinds of people, with them protesting by trying to publish books clearly violating the standards."

You can then mention "Bob and the Golden Poool" in Option 1.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 am

Just published a 5th draft I've made the description a bit more clear of what is happening, I've decided to place the example as just a quick reference in option 1,I've edited various bits of grammar and I decided to change the person in option 3; a language student at a government meeting seems very out of place should've seen that earlier. Still can't think of a title but I've decided to not publish another draft until I have a good title ready.
Merry Christmas!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?