NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] The Free Joy States

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ON HOLD] The Free Joy States

Postby Jutsa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 pm

So, I understand if I can't name a draft after an editor,
but at the same time I couldn't think of a better title. :lol:

Haven't made a draft based on stats in a while, and I thought this up while trying to go to sleep.
Wanted to mention that while this isn't 100% true for NS, it does seem to be a more accurate representation of irl,
and besides, the very top of the most compliant nations in NS are also some of the happiest. (see: Kindjal)
Hope you enjoy. :)

Title: The Free Joy States
The Issue: While playing a game of Cards Against Nations, where certain statistics on the cards of various nations are matched against each other nation, your Minister of Propaganda learned some trivia - that the citizens of @@NAME@@ are content with life! Hoping to win at more card games - and increase worker productivity - your minister has assembled a mass of statisticians to see if more could be done.
Validity: High authoritarianism; Top 60%ish? Happiness

Option 1: "I realized it when I got to reading Prudenland's information," says the Minister, showing you a rather bland pair of line graphs with crude representational icons. "If lawless wastelands like these can keep their citizens compliant with cheerfulness, think about how much order our society would have! More productivity, less people questioning the government. So lets try making our citizens happy — by making them undergo mandatory mood and society appreciation training."
[effect] people are getting upset about being so happy

Option 2: "The last thing we should do is give people hope," argues your Minister of Law and Order, whacking the other minister with a truncheon. "It'll only give way to revolution, disaster, and chaos. No, we need to kill what happiness there is. Clamp down their smiles. Strike fear into their hearts. Make them disgusted at the thought of trife things like happiness. Something too few nations have the guts to do, these days."
[effect] grins have resulted in mind-shattering trauma

Validity: Not a WA Member
Option 3a: "Hey, have you noticed these happy, compliant nations also have an open government and a free populace?" your secretary asks your Intelligence Minister, who's now doubled over in pain. "That can't be right! It seems this data is being skewed by the libertarian globalists. This data can't be trusted; no 'freedom' nation can be trusted. We need to rally our people against them. And best of all, the wave of nationalism will unite the masses together and bring us order — a new @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ order!"
[effect] fact checkers can't be trusted

Validity: WA Member
Option 3b: "Hey, have you noticed these happy, compliant nations also have an open government and a free populace?" your secretary asks your Intelligence Minister, who's now doubled over in pain. "That can't be right! It seems this data is being skewed by the libertarian globalists. This data can't be trusted; the World Assembly can't be trusted. We need to leave the World Assembly and rally our people against it. And best of all, the wave of nationalism will unite the masses together and bring us order — a new @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ order!"

Final Option: "Wye helaw deer, @@LEADER@@!" cheers gothic electrician and part-time road carcus remover Ramsi Ballo-Poga. "We need not be put in a zugzwang poseetion. We should monitor and archive dee behavior of da niiiiice and joyous peoples of @@NAME@@, even while dey sleep! I doo dat with my pet marsupials! Maybe we can produce, ah, more cameras and sensors smedged into clothing and grocery baggies. I can len' you a hand, and we'll have noah grim domain in all da nation of @@NAME@@!"
[effect]

Title: The Free Joy States
The Issue: While reviewing the statistics of the most compliant nations, your Minister of Intelligence has come to you with a rather shocking finding — that they're also among the happiest nations.
Validity: Very High Authoritarianism

Option 1: "I realized it when I got to reading Prudenland's information," says the Minister, showing you a rather bland pair of line graphs with crude representational icons. "If lawless wastelands like these can keep their citizens compliant with cheerfulness, think about how much order our society would have! More productivity, less people questioning the government. So lets try making our citizens happy — by making them undergo mandatory mood and society appreciation training."
[effect] people are getting upset about being so happy

Option 2: "The last thing we should do is give people hope," argues your Minister of Law and Order, whacking the other minister with a truncheon. "It'll only give way to revolution, disaster, and chaos. No, we need to kill what happiness there is. Clamp down their smiles. Strike fear into their hearts. Make them disgusted at the thought of trife things like happiness. Something too few nations have the guts to do, these days."
[effect] grins have resulted in mind-shattering trauma

Validity: Not a WA Member
Option 3a: "Hey, have you noticed these happy, compliant nations also have an open government and a free populace?" your secretary asks your Intelligence Minister, who's now doubled over in pain. "That can't be right! It seems this data is being skewed by the libertarian globalists. This data can't be trusted; no 'freedom' nation can be trusted. We need to rally our people against them. And best of all, the wave of nationalism will unite the masses together and bring us order — a new @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ order!"

Validity: WA Member
Option 3b: "Hey, have you noticed these happy, compliant nations also have an open government and a free populace?" your secretary asks your Intelligence Minister, who's now doubled over in pain. "That can't be right! It seems this data is being skewed by the libertarian globalists. This data can't be trusted; the World Assembly can't be trusted. We need to leave the World Assembly and rally our people against it. And best of all, the wave of nationalism will unite the masses together and bring us order — a new @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ order!"
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:17 pm

This was actually a trivia question.

Q: Which of the following does NOT affect a nation's Crime rate?
A: Citizen Happiness

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:38 pm

:rofl:

Edit: Yeah, should've done my research when I was more awake. Seems like irl correlation's stronger with freedom vs. happiness and not so much happiness vs. compliance. Sad.

Ah well. Think it's still a workable idea or think it should be discarded?
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Jutsa wrote::rofl:

Edit: Yeah, should've done my research when I was more awake. Seems like irl correlation's stronger with freedom vs. happiness and not so much happiness vs. compliance. Sad.

Ah well. Think it's still a workable idea or think it should be discarded?

You could make it for nations with high authoritarianism and medium-to-high citizen happiness. It would cut the number of nations eligible to receive it, but we don't mind niche issues.

The issue then could be that some of the happiest nations are also some of the most authoritarian -- I'd suggest a more pressing narrative for a national leader -- and working out why that is and trying to make citizens happier still -- you could still keep the mandatory mood training option, but there could also be a wider range of options (worth saying that not every nation in the medium/high range of authoritarianism is a 1984-esque hellhole).

And, whether (should it be accepted for editing) the title would stay is a different matter, but I don't mind it being named after me.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am

That could be an interesting take on it... yeah. :)

I'll see what I can do. Putting this one "On Hold" for now; I have other issue ideas and drafts I want to try to get ironed out. :lol:

Many thanks, Joy. :)

Return to Got Issues?