NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]Too many pets, not enough zoos

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

[DRAFT]Too many pets, not enough zoos

Postby Raionitu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

First draft of a zoo ban reversal issue.

Kinda feels like only the second option sounds reasonable though, not sure what to do about that.
[title]Too many pets, not enough zoos
[validity]Nations that have banned zoos

[description]Since zoos were banned, the number of pets per person has been on the rise. After it was discovered a farm owner had been charging people to see his dozens of pets, animal enthusiasts and fur haters alike have stampeded into your office demanding a decision.

[option]”Well now I don’t see as I’m doing anything wrong”. Says the farmer in question, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “My patent pending ‘not a zoo’ is in no way a violation of national regulations. People love coming out to see my spotted @@ANIMAL@@. Besides, I’m not really charging admission like it’s a zoo, it’s just, donations, to help feed the animals”.
[effect]citizens are paying their neighbours for a chance to walk their dog.

[option]”Whether or not he’s right, the ‘not a zoo’ has show that people are interested in paying to see animals”. Standing in the corner is economic analyst @@RANDOMNAME@@. “I believe it would be in our great nations best economic interest to reinstitute zoos immediately.” After proclaiming this, she goes back to punching numbers in her calculator, mumbling to herself.
[effect]dozens of new zoos are opened, then driven out of business by competition as the zoo ban is lifted.

[option]”I believe we need to take this in an entirely different direction. We made the law now we need to uphold it”. Declares infamous lawer, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “While this, ‘not a zoo’ technically follows the letter of the law, I believe it is important to uphold the spirit of the law as well. People should only own up to three animals, anymore consists of a zoo.”
[effect]milk has become a pricey commodity as farmers are forced to sell most of their cows.

[option]”Right direction, but not nearly far enough”. Behind your desk, standing away from the farmer, is @@RANDOMNAME@@, well known anti-pet advocate due to their @@ANIMAL@@ allergy. “Pets in any form are a menace to society, leaving their fur and droppings everywhere, disturbing everyday citizens. Ban pets now for a better tomorrow!”
[effect]Twelve years old are often seen at the black market looking for gerbils.
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Raionitu wrote:[description]Since zoos were banned, the number of pets per person has been on the rise.

Is this a coincidence, or does the issue explicitly presume that people will try to replace zoos by acquiring pets? Save of the occasional eccentric pet tiger owner, that doesn't seem likely. In fact, I would expect a ban on zoos to have an extremely detrimental effect on endangered species and other conservation efforts. The scientist/ecologist/hippy representing this issue option appears to be missing at the moment.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:
Raionitu wrote:[description]Since zoos were banned, the number of pets per person has been on the rise.

Is this a coincidence, or does the issue explicitly presume that people will try to replace zoos by acquiring pets? Save of the occasional eccentric pet tiger owner, that doesn't seem likely. In fact, I would expect a ban on zoos to have an extremely detrimental effect on endangered species and other conservation efforts. The scientist/ecologist/hippy representing this issue option appears to be missing at the moment.

I mean, you aren’t entirely wrong, but as a premise this one was more fun to work off of. I might add in an option based around conservationism though, possibly replacing the second option, or an alternative based on the nations nature stat
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Raionitu wrote:I mean, you aren’t entirely wrong, but as a premise this one was more fun to work off of. I might add in an option based around conservationism though, possibly replacing the second option, or an alternative based on the nations nature stat

It's all a perfectly good premise, but there's at least several distinct issues going on in the description:

1. Clandestine black market zoos
2. People want zoos back ("animal enthusasts")
3. People are hording pets.
4. People dislike the fur trade ("fur haters")

#1 seems like a perfectly reasonable response to zoos being banned, to the extent that the prohibition of X simply drives X into the black market.

#2 is also a perfectly reasonable response, as an undo of the "no zoos" policy.

I honestly don't see what #3 has to do with zoos, unless we actually do mean people are hoarding Bengal tigers and gorillas (like they were before zoos were banned?), which is probably covered by #1 anyway.

I also don't see what #4 has to do with zoos, probably mostly because I don't see how banning zoos promotes animal welfare. Although I suppose I'm assuming that the "zoos" in question were doing legit work in ecology and conservation, and weren't just circuses in disguise (a la #1).

So...I'd probably rework this to just remove the "pets" and "fur haters" angles, and simply make the issue about zoos. "Not a zoo" Guy might be in it for the money/graft (Option 1). Ex-Zookeeper might be in it for the endangered species (Option 2). Hippy Dippy might want to keep the ban because, like, cages misalign the chakras or something and would you like to try this vegan "jerky?" (Option 3). And Admiral Ironsides might want to keep the ban because it provides plausible deniability for your Navy's Amphibian special forces training facility, or something similarly loopy (Option 4).
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Return to Got Issues?