NATION

PASSWORD

[1st may 2019 submitted] Stop Being Short With Me

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[1st may 2019 submitted] Stop Being Short With Me

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:51 am

Perhaps because I've got Game of Thrones on the mind.

DRAFT 2
TITLE:

Stop Being Short With Me

VALIDITY:

Any. Adult, possibly, depending on how heavy the innuendo ends up.

DESCRIPTION:

A multitude of studies have repeatedly highlighted that shorter men tend to be less successful than tall ones in almost every way. It's been suggested that they average a lower level of educational attainment, have smaller lifetime career earnings, and even have less luck in love. Now, with the new Equalities Minister being an achondroplastic man, the topic is being raised with increasing frequency in your cabinet meetings.

OPTION 1

"It isn't that it is impossible for those of shorter stature to succeed, more that we can be more easily overlooked," explains Tyrone Lancaster, the new minister in question, who has a suspiciously Blackacrean look to him. "I don't like to keep raising the point, but we short fellows really do have it harder." He ignores the scoffing laugh from Shailene, his ex-girlfriend. "Look, all I'm asking for is to address these inequalities. We can launch some positive discrimination initiatives, have some awareness campaigns, celebrate good looking shorter celebrities, that sort of thing. I'm just asking for a slight leg-up to help even things out."

OUTCOME:

size doesn't matter

OPTION 2

"You'll have to excuse my brother, he's always had trouble seeing the bigger picture," dismisses Cerise Lancaster, an influential lobbyist from the same family. "It's just like him to forget that there's a far larger group of disenfranchised people in this nation who historically earn even less than short men: women. We should instead be focusing on breaking the gender-based glass ceiling, and in subsidising female entrepreneurs trying to make headway in this patriarchal world."

OUTCOME:

girl power is government-generated

OPTION 3

"Can I lend a hand?" interjects James Lancaster, who is brother to both and one of your bodyguards. "I understand it's been hard for my sister and my brother to get ahead in the world, but at the end of the day they're both doing a lot better in their careers than me, the one with the supposed advantages of being male, tall and -- admittedly -- ruggedly handsome. Besides, I think a lot of these studies are highly suspect anyway, bad science from small-minded and small-bodied men with a chip on their shoulder. Just wind back on this whole positive discrimination thing, and let the free market operate. All men must work, that's just how it goes."

OUTCOME:

successful people tend to look down on others

OPTION 4

"I believe I can propose a third way," miscounts rising politician Peter Bayliss, who renowned for out-of-the-box thinking. "If you can't change the way people view short stature, then don't try. Instead, try and make all men equal. If we monitor teenage growth through puberty, we can intervene with hormone suppressants or boosts, and the occasional surgery to adjust limb length. By the end of puberty, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have all boys within a centimetre's height difference from each other."

OUTCOME:

tall women are finding it harder than ever to find a man to look up to

DRAFT 1:
TITLE:

Stop Being Short With Me

VALIDITY:

Any. Adult, possibly, depending on how heavy the innuendo ends up.

DESCRIPTION:

Science has repeatedly highlighted that shorter men tend to be less successful than tall ones in almost every way. They average a lower level of educational attainment, smaller lifetime career earnings, and even have less luck in love. Now, with the new Equalities Minister being an achondroplastic man, the topic is being raised with increasing frequency in your cabinet meetings.

OPTION 1

"It isn't that it is impossible for those of shorter stature to succeed, more that we can be more easily overlooked," explains Tyrone Lancaster, the new minister in question, who has a suspiciously Blackacrean look to him. "I don't like to keep raising the point, but we short fellows really do have it harder." He ignores the scoffing laugh from Shailene, his ex-girlfriend. "Look, all I'm asking for is to address these inequalities. We can launch some positive discrimination initiatives, have some awareness campaigns, celebrate good looking shorter celebrities, that sort of thing. I'm just asking for a slight leg-up to help even things out."

OUTCOME:

size doesn't matter

OPTION 2

"You'll have to excuse my brother, he's always had trouble seeing the bigger picture," dismisses Cerise Lancaster, an influential lobbyist from the same family. "It's just like him to forget that there's a far larger group of disenfranchised people in this nation: women. We should instead be focusing on breaking the gender-based glass ceiling, and in subsidising female entrepreneurs trying to make headway in this patriarchal world."

OUTCOME:

girl power is government-generated

OPTION 3

"Can I lend a hand?" interjects James Lancaster, who is brother to both and one of your bodyguards. "I understand it's been hard for my sister and my brother to get ahead in the world, but at the end of the day they're both doing a lot better in their careers than me, the one with the supposed advantages of being male, tall and -- admittedly -- ruggedly handsome. Doesn't that go to show that there's already plenty of opportunity in society? I suggest that it's best just to let people be people, and keep government out of people's work lives and social lives. You can't help who you love, and every man must work. That's just how it goes."

OUTCOME:

it take balls to succeed in life

OPTION 4

"I believe I can propose a third way," miscounts rising politician Peter Bayliss, who renowned for out-of-the-box thinking. "If you can't change the way people view short stature, then don't try. Instead, try and make all men equal. If we monitor teenage growth through puberty, we can intervene with hormone suppressants or boosts, and the occasional surgery to adjust limb length. By the end of puberty, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have all boys within a centimetre's height difference from each other."

OUTCOME:

tall women are finding it harder than ever to find a man to look up to
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 am, edited 10 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Hiram Land
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hiram Land » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 am

first.

nice draft. maybe we do need a game of thrones-themed issue.
Last edited by Hiram Land on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
#KyrusiaSoTrue
he/him
uwu
National Information
Unidas et Hyramalunde
Nationbuilder
Old Dispatches

Alternate: Hiramia-Omfew
_____ Hiram Land _____
Hyramas or Bust!
Thank you to Nanako Island for providing help for the signature.

Proud UFN member
RIP UNoE and UoJ

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:49 am

A male minister pf equality? That's a bew one
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am

Big fan of the ASOIAF/GoT references :-D

The only critique I have is that it doesn't feel particularly focused on the height issue, because Cersei and Jaime's portions are basically going elsewhere with their complaints. It strike me as a pro-ignore-dismiss-crazy set-up, as opposed to a pro-con-ignore-crazy.

I would keep Tyrion's portion as is - that makes good sense.

I would probably swap Jaime in to the second slot. His current position basically is a dismiss option, saying "there's no problem, leave it as is" so I'd suggest maybe have him be asking for assistance in the other direction? Basically, claim reverse discrimination due to too much political correctness, and ask for help for tall people.

Cersei would then be a solid third option as written, trying to bring up a different problem and ignoring the crux of the issue. Her argument might be able to include a bit more language to make it feel related to the question at hand - nothing big, but a nod at least. Something like "short or tall, all women are disenfranchised."

I love Peter Baelish's position, though it could have potential for both sexes - not just men. I will say this - I hope you do publish this, because the moment you do, I'm coming in with a Harrison Bergeron follow-up issue for it! I'm already plotting it out... perhaps two issues actually. One to decide if you're going full Vonnegut, and the other dealing with the consequences as seen in the story. There is a rich world of distopian fiction that can be used to feed this line of policy!
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am

Will think on those option order things.

Vonnegut is already referenced in existing issues, of course. I added option 601.4 during the edit, which you might enjoy. :)

Pretty sure we have a Flowers for Algernon reference somewhere too, but I can't find it right now.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:the topic is being frequently raised ever more frequently in your cabinet meetings.

I think you've used the word "frequently" and bit more frequently than you meant to.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:01 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Will think on those option order things.

Vonnegut is already referenced in existing issues, of course. I added option 601.4 during the edit, which you might enjoy. :)

Pretty sure we have a Flowers for Algernon reference somewhere too, but I can't find it right now.

Oooh, I do like 601.4 :lol: Now I just need it to be applied more broadly and the Bergeroning can begin!

Hmm, maybe I'll make an initial follow-up to spread from lawyers to everybody, and another to explore the consequences if done. Splendid!

Sorry, don't want to derail your thread here :-D I'll add it to my to-do pile!

Nyameow
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nyameow » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 am

if he's 5", he's mine.
this is good though.
these bitch mittens look so cute on me <3 <3 <3

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

might be good for a joke, but "sceince" says nothing of the sort. not outside of cultural context at any rate.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:45 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:the topic is being frequently raised ever more frequently in your cabinet meetings.

I think you've used the word "frequently" and bit more frequently than you meant to.

Yeah, fixed that now, thanks.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:28 pm

I do quite like the issue, though I do want to point out that option 2 (and therefor to some extant, 3) does diverge from the premise a bit.
It seems the premise is about short people, but men vs. women seems to pop up a fair bit. Just something I thought was a tiny bit odd.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:53 am

Jutsa wrote:I do quite like the issue, though I do want to point out that option 2 (and therefor to some extant, 3) does diverge from the premise a bit.
It seems the premise is about short people, but men vs. women seems to pop up a fair bit. Just something I thought was a tiny bit odd.

I'm not sure it does, to be honest. In the absence of that option I reckon the question would be asked "and what about women?"

I'll add something though to justify its inclusion more, along the lines of "even short men still earn more than women, on average".

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:54 am

Cameroi wrote:might be good for a joke, but "sceince" says nothing of the sort. not outside of cultural context at any rate.

That'd be a decent position for the counter-position to take. I'll incorporate that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 am

Okay draft 2 has got those changes, and also replaces the "balls" line.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:49 am

All I'm seeing presently is the question of how option three differs from dismissing the issue. He's basically saying "ignore it, do nothing." What actual legislation is he proposing?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:16 am

Verdant Haven wrote:All I'm seeing presently is the question of how option three differs from dismissing the issue. He's basically saying "ignore it, do nothing." What actual legislation is he proposing?

You're right, I've strengthened it to say "Just wind back on this whole positive discrimination thing, and let the free market operate."

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:11 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You're right, I've strengthened it to say "Just wind back on this whole positive discrimination thing, and let the free market operate."

Sweet - looks good.

Would it be relevant to have a validity or stat check to ensure there is positive discrimination to wind back? I'm not sure which stat that is... Inclusiveness, perhaps? I could see it either way I think.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 am

Verdant Haven wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You're right, I've strengthened it to say "Just wind back on this whole positive discrimination thing, and let the free market operate."

Sweet - looks good.

Would it be relevant to have a validity or stat check to ensure there is positive discrimination to wind back? I'm not sure which stat that is... Inclusiveness, perhaps? I could see it either way I think.

I dunno, I think you can always wind back more.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?