NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Down for the Count

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Down for the Count

Postby Altmer Dominion » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Taking a shot in the dark with this one:

[name] Down for the Count

[description] The latest Treasury Report submitted to your office has a small problem -- the calculations are completely illegible. After apologizing profusely, your Treasury Minister explains that it was submitted prematurely still containing his Department's in-house numerical shorthand. It turns out that every governmental department uses their own system separate from the official @@DEMONYM@@ number line to speed up even the most basic of computations. As your office becomes adrift in a dizzying maze of unfamiliar mathematical symbols, the question must be asked -- is the nation's current numeral system too unwieldy?

[option] "The current system is totally counterintuitive", grumbles Budget Chief Uma Uno, pointing to the @@DEMONYM@@ symbol for 'One'. "Make one wrong line at the top and you suddenly end up with 'Thirty-Four'. How's that supposed to make sense? For the sake of our sanity, let's take a hint from the rest of the world and adopt the tried-and-true '1,2,3' scheme once and for all."
[effect] math teachers can be seen crying tears of joy

[option] "There's still too much room for error," ponders Foreign Minister Erma Ni, waving a pair of rice-stained chopsticks around. "You should take a look at how Dàguó structures their language. Every number is a 'pictograph', meaning there's a visual story behind each symbol. One is '一', a single line. Two is '二', double the fun! Sure, things get a little hairy at '五'(five) through '十'(ten), but afterwards it's all just combinations of these basic pictographs. Seems easy enough to understand if you ask me."
[effect] Daguoren tourists treat @@NAME@@ like a second home

[option] "Why cut out the middleman?" absentmindly asks Culture Minister Tre Trois, painting a color wheel onto your desk. "There's no point in being abstract about it. If we're going to draw pictures, let's be professional about it. For 'two', people can draw a nice painting of a pair of cutlery. For 'five', a life-sized drawing realistic human hand. Addition, subtraction, division -- expression through artistic creativity will be unlimited!"
[effect] elementary level arithmatic requires Renessiance-style artwork

[option] "How dreadfully complex," sneers @@DENOMYM@@ General Quirinus Quattro, curiously clad in a tight-fitting toga. "I have seven letters for you: I,V,X,L,C,D, and M. Using just these symbols, @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ can construct thousands upon thousands of numbers. As I've always said, look to tradition for the most efficient way to get things done."
[effect] marking a decimal can accidently construct a new sentence

[validity] nations must have AI
[option] "Is efficiency the word of the day?" inquires supercomputer PAL 5000, buzzing through an intercom. "Using only the binary system of 0 and 1's afforded to me, I can effortlessly calculate complex derivations in a matter of milliseconds. Given such speed, perhaps the common citizen might similarly benefit from such a system. If anything, I would be interested in seeing the results of such an experiment."
[effect] the length of collegiate calcuations quickly exceeds the irrational

[option] "My age must be catching up to me," opines your grandmother, quietly knitting in a corner of the room. "All of this seems so exhausting. My own personal bookkeeping method keeps track of values using knots of yarn. I believe there was an ancient culture who did something similar, and guess what--it's actually efficient! I'd love for more @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ carry on such a unique tradition, preserving the knowledge of their elders."
[effect] Underwater Basket Weaving is a required course for accounting majors
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:38 am

Aren't most reports typed or even electronic these days?

Honest question, as I've never worked in government. I just assumed that was the case.

Or do you mean that these are typed reports, but that every department uses mathematical symbols in unique ways? To which I guess I'd ask, is that really a thing?
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aren't most reports typed or even electronic these days?
I had the same thought. This issue would have to be for nations where computers are banned.

Also, most options make little sense. If people aren't writing in simple 0123456789 digits, it's because their shorthand allows for quicker calculation. I don't know what number notation would be most convenient for doing arithmetic on an abacus, but I'm pretty sure that Roman numerals aren't it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 pm

At first I thought this would be an issue about number bases (10, 12, 2, 17, etc.). :lol:
One of my earliest issue drafts was actually this, but I scrapped it cause I figured it wouldn't make for a very good issue (even at that time xD)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aren't most reports typed or even electronic these days?

Honest question, as I've never worked in government. I just assumed that was the case.

Been in federal government for more than 12 of the last 14 years now. I don't know if I've ever seen a handwritten report that wasn't "field notes" or a draft being converted to typing.

Or do you mean that these are typed reports, but that every department uses mathematical symbols in unique ways? To which I guess I'd ask, is that really a thing?

That's I've not seen...

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally pitched this in the Writers Block, but based on the reaction here I seem to have chose the worst possible premise for the issue. :p I still think it's a fun little concept to have a nation officially codify their numeral system, but the description seems to have blown the whole shebang up right now. Maybe I'll go with the 'Govt. found old document' approach that some of the original suggestions touched upon.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:10 am

What do you do with numbers more than 1000?
Also, I'm a bit confused about option 1
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?