NATION

PASSWORD

[QUESTION] Taxation vs Freedom from Taxation

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Woryand
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

[QUESTION] Taxation vs Freedom from Taxation

Postby Woryand » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:14 am

Just a quick question --

When I dissolved my government (I'm blanking on the issue number, but it's the one with the pop-up to dissolve your government), my taxation went down to be in the top 99.8% (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=wor ... ensusid=49). However, my freedom of taxation barely went up, and is in fact not even in the top 1% (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=wor ... ensusid=50). What is the reason for this?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:37 pm

I think taxation is income tax, whilst freedom from taxation is all taxes. If not, though, then that's definitely strange
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am

The two stats aren't exactly opposed. Essentially though, the tax model is a bit squiffy in most circumstances, and super-squiffy for the extremes.

In Income Tax terms you've gone from 1.98% income tax to -34.82% income tax. So your citizens are only a smidgen freer from tax than before, but now there's some weird system where everyone gets given money proportional to their income.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Woryand
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

A second question

Postby Woryand » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:24 pm

A second question, then:

My tax rate went down from 2% to well below 0%. Why didn't it stop at 0%, given that I am not giving out subsidies to people in my nation (and rather just abolishing the government)?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:56 am

Woryand wrote:A second question, then:

My tax rate went down from 2% to well below 0%. Why didn't it stop at 0%, given that I am not giving out subsidies to people in my nation (and rather just abolishing the government)?

That's not the only weird thing. You can also have government departments that have massive negative spends, which is treated as zero spending for many purposes in game, but which can still offset future spending increases. You can have vast negative industries that offset future industry growth. You can have hugely negative crime values that have increasing impact on other stats even after crime is described as non-existent. The vast majority of stats are not capped in either direction, though a handful are.

As to why the simulation is built that way, I don't know. I think in the past things have been said about it conceptually representing a resistance to re-establishing something, so your negative tax rate instead represents a resistance in your nation to re-establishing tax.

That's kind of explaining things in Watsonian terms, of course, when the real answer is Doylist. I suspect the Doylist real answer is that this game was never intended to have over a thousand issues or to have lasted this many years. It was just a nice bit of coding that was knocked together to promote a novel, and has grown organically into the thing it is today. As a result, it's not really a great simulation and shouldn't be held to the standards of simulationism, it's just a mechanism to tell stories and to deliver satire with, and should be treated as no more than that.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?