NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED 9/4/19] What's The Catch?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED 9/4/19] What's The Catch?

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 am

Thought I'd join Ransium in writing issues about fishing quotas. I'm aware of the existing issues, so have positioned this story as a follow-up to them.

TITLE:

What's The Catch?

VALIDITY:

consequence to 809.1, 1179.1 and 1179.3.

DESCRIPTION:

Beachgoers in the seaside town of @@ANIMAL@@-on-Sea were surprised (and nauseated) when thousands of @@DEMONYM@@ green mackerel washed ashore, dead and stinking from being thrown overboard from fishing trawlers some days previouly. These fish were dumped by the trawlers because their catches of these fish had exceeded quotas, making it illegal for them to bring them to shore.

OPTION 1

"Look, our lads don't like throwing good quality fish overboard either," complains boat captain Willy Chuckett. "Thing is though, you can't always say what fish you're gonna catch when you drop a net. I can't stop fishing if I've got other quotas that we haven't reached yet, can I? I'm not saying you should ditch the quota system, but maybe let us land the catch and anything we're not allowed to sell the government can take off us for free. You can then ditch it, or send it to starving war orphans in Marche Noire, or whatever."

OUTCOME:

fish often spend more time on transport boats than in the water

OPTION 2

"That's silly - we're not trying to limit incomes, we're trying to protect the environment and future fish stocks," explains fish ecologist Wanda Howe. "We should ban catch-dumping, fine over-fishing, and subsidise fishermen who show good ecological practices by intentionally underfishing. That way fish stocks will replenish, but no-one will be left in poverty."

OUTCOME:

fishing boats sit in drydock hauling in netfuls of government handouts

OPTION 3

"Quotas and subsidies, incentives and punishments... it's basically getting to be a big bureaucratic mess," moans your Environment Minister. "Wouldn't it be simpler if we just stopped fishing altogether? If people want fish, they can get them from enclosed fish farms. The environment will thank us for it."

OUTCOME:

a meal of cod and chips is a rare and expensive delicacy

Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:16 am

...Looks pretty good.

I can't find any grammar errors, and the options are pretty clever.

The only obvious thing that's missing is an option to abolish quotas, but I understand that not being a high priority, especially for a chain issue rather than a policy-based one (I was pleasantly surprised that the pro-capitalist option wasn't simply this).

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:16 am

There needs to be an option about balanced harvesting. Either way, why are they dumping fish so close to the shore?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 am

[Editor - Candle] again, hm? :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:58 am

Jutsa wrote:[Editor - Candle] again, hm? :)

It's his eye. It gives CWA foresight, it's an ability we both share

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am

Socio Polor wrote:

It's his eye. It gives CWA foresight, it's an ability we both share

He must have forgot he was in the public forum again. [Editor-Name] is how we tag our edit threads backstage.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am

Old man CWA is off his rocker again!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 am

USS Monitor wrote:He must have forgot he was in the public forum again. [Editor-Name] is how we tag our edit threads backstage.
It's happened often enough that I don't think it surprises any of the regulars here anymore :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:52 am

Ohnononono.

It says [DRAFT]. It always has said [DRAFT].

I'm not going crazy.

I'm not.

Ask Mr. Flibbles, he will tell you I'm not going crazy. He should know, he's King of the Potato Men.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:02 am

That aside, anyone got any thoughts on the issue itself?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:03 am

Trotterdam wrote:...Looks pretty good.

I can't find any grammar errors, and the options are pretty clever.

The only obvious thing that's missing is an option to abolish quotas, but I understand that not being a high priority, especially for a chain issue rather than a policy-based one (I was pleasantly surprised that the pro-capitalist option wasn't simply this).

Right, I didn't think it was needed for exactly that reason - it's a decision that has only just been made. If people wanted no quotas, they'd have already gone that way.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:07 am

Australian rePublic wrote:There needs to be an option about balanced harvesting. Either way, why are they dumping fish so close to the shore?

I googled it, but didn't really get it. Is balanced harvesting just landing whatever catch is in your nets? How does that work with different demands for different fish?

As to the proximity to the sure, I reckon it could have been carried in by currents across large distances. Actually though, I'm just going for a degree of poetic license to make the images more striking. It's not unknown for thousands of dead fish to wash up on sure in real life, of course, though it's usually due to algal blooms and the like rather than fishing dumps.

Here's one where fishing dumping WAS the cause though:

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/09/01/ ... ard-beach/
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:There needs to be an option about balanced harvesting. Either way, why are they dumping fish so close to the shore?

I googled it, but didn't really get it. Is balanced harvesting just landing whatever catch is in your nets? How does that work with different demands for different fish?

As to the proximity to the sure, I reckon it could have been carried in by currents across large distances. Actually though, I'm just going for a degree of poetic license to make the images more striking. It's not unknown for thousands of dead fish to wash up on sure in real life, of course, though it's usually due to algal blooms and the like rather than fishing dumps.

Here's one where fishing dumping WAS the cause though:

It means having a mix of fish of all sizes, as to stop overfishing of large fish which leads to fish evolving to be smaller
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:40 am

How do you match that to market demand though? Catching fish of all different species and sizes is fine until you get customers wanting more of specific fishes at specific sizes.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:04 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:How do you match that to market demand though? Catching fish of all different species and sizes is fine until you get customers wanting more of specific fishes at specific sizes.

I don't know the intrecate details:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YOVuEQugE

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Here's one where fishing dumping WAS the cause though:

Hey, I've been to that beach.

When I was there it was covered with Canadians instead of dead fish. I swear half the population of Quebec must come down there in the summer.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:04 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Here's one where fishing dumping WAS the cause though:

When I was there it was covered with Canadians instead of dead fish. I swear half the population of Quebec must come down there in the summer.

Naa, it's just all the Canadians got caught in our trawler net, and we dumped them overboard. Must have washed up near you.

I mean, if there was a market for Canadians we would have landed them, but Canuck'n'Chips has never been popular for some reason.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Naa, it's just all the Canadians got caught in our trawler net, and we dumped them overboard. Must have washed up near you.

I mean, if there was a market for Canadians we would have landed them, but Canuck'n'Chips has never been popular for some reason.

Really? They didn't seem the least bit annoyed at being dumped overboard. I guess there is a reason they have a reputation for being polite.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?