NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Handle With Scare

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sacara » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Description: Extreme haunted houses have become a thrill-seekers joy ride throughout @@name@@. However, when multiple reports come in of people experiencing heart attacks, physical injuries, mental impairment, and even death through these amusement tours, moral principles come into question.
You add in at the end here "Moral principles come into question", yet none of the options even touches upon morals, really. Maybe instead you should end it with "...tours, the question of whether safety outweighs the need for excitement arises" or something of the sort.

Socio Polor wrote:Option 1: “Woah there bro!" shouts @@randommalename@@, a famous Whotuber known for his wacky daredevil stunts. "No one has the right to tell me what's good. My life, my way of living it. If anything there should be more support and understanding of what we do, that's the problem," he contends while doing his famous one-handed wheelie across your office. "Why don't we run a tv series on extreme haunted houses with me as host? We'll call it, '@@name@@s Got Horror!'"
This might be just a personal preference for myself here, but I think the word contends sounds a bit too formal in regards to who is speaking. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather just see the word "says" instead. Make tv -> TV.

Socio Polor wrote:Option 2: “A TV series? What so our kids can copy what they see and wind up in the ER?” questions @@randomname@@, a horror enthusiast. “I like thrills as much as the next guy but dying over it, getting beaten and forced to consume undrinkable liquids like @@animal@@ urine pushes the boundary. Torture houses are what they are and must be shut down accordingly.”
I'm confused about why the speaker is a horror enthusiast. You'd think someone who likes horror would like this, and I think you did it so you could say "I like thrills as much as the next guy", but you could also say that about anyone. I think it would be beneficial to change his title to something else, maybe like a concerned parent or something.

Socio Polor wrote:Option 3: “I agree this is insane, but with so many people waiting to get into these places, it wouldn’t be right to shut them down,” reasons @@randomname@@, former owner of the park shutdown across from your office. “As long as these places have ‘safe words’ entrants can use to quit, I see no reason to pull the plug here.”
Effect: extreme haunted house "safewords" are inaudible in all the screams
Umm... Not really convinced about this option, to be honest. Maybe discuss more all the regulations you'd put on these haunted houses. Also not sold on the effect line.

Socio Polor wrote:Option 4: "None of y'all truly comprehend how dangerous this is," comments @@randomname@@ who was injured from a carousel. "Amusement my behind! There's nothin' amusin' 'bout fallin' off a pony and breakin' your tailbone! Think of the youth and BURN ALL AMUSEMENT PARKS, EXTREME OR NOT, TO THE FUC-to the ground, just... do it."
Effect: angry mobs have to be yay tall to burn the ultimate coaster
This just seems like option two but instead of shutting it down you're suggesting we shut it down AND burn it. Not sure it's needed.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Sacara wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Description: Extreme haunted houses have become a thrill-seekers joy ride throughout @@name@@. However, when multiple reports come in of people experiencing heart attacks, physical injuries, mental impairment, and even death through these amusement tours, moral principles come into question.
You add in at the end here "Moral principles come into question", yet none of the options even touches upon morals, really. Maybe instead you should end it with "...tours, the question of whether safety outweighs the need for excitement arises" or something of the sort.

Moral principles as in whether these haunted houses are proper or acceptable. Though I'll consider editing it out or altering it.

Sacara wrote:I'm confused about why the speaker is a horror enthusiast. You'd think someone who likes horror would like this, and I think you did it so you could say "I like thrills as much as the next guy", but you could also say that about anyone. I think it would be beneficial to change his title to something else, maybe like a concerned parent or something.

Not necessarily. The people who are into the extreme haunted houses are more like thrill-seekers (daredevils) than your typical horror enthusiasts. Also, I feel having someone into horror going for a place like this would be a tad too cliche. Having a horror enthusiast against these haunted houses I feel really sets the tone to how EXTREME these places are. If a horror fan is against a haunted house, you know it's crazy. See where I'm coming from? Though if more people comment against this, I'll alter it

Sacara wrote:Umm... Not really convinced about this option, to be honest. Maybe discuss more all the regulations you'd put on these haunted houses. Also not sold on the effect line.

Hmm, you have a point, I'll change it

Sacara wrote:This just seems like option two but instead of shutting it down you're suggesting we shut it down AND burn it. Not sure it's needed.

No, with this option, not only are you shutting down extreme haunted houses, you're shutting down ALL amusement parks. This includes roller coasters, drop rides, carousels, etc.
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 pm

This still has a lot of little things that are not as polished as they could be. I agree with Sacara that the "moral principles" line is awkward. I'm not into the title. I don't think the WhoTuber needs an assigned gender. I don't think we can leave "FUC-" even with the final K cut off.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 am

Why are these people experiencing all these things? Faulty infrastructure or too scary?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:25 am

USS Monitor wrote:This still has a lot of little things that are not as polished as they could be. I agree with Sacara that the "moral principles" line is awkward. I'm not into the title. I don't think the WhoTuber needs an assigned gender. I don't think we can leave "FUC-" even with the final K cut off.

Ok, I'll alter those. Really, the title isn't good :( I thought this one would be better

Australian rePublic wrote:Why are these people experiencing all these things? Faulty infrastructure or too scary?

Watch the links I provided to see, it'll give you a good understanding Aussie
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Nope, no need to worry about that one. :)

We've got one that bans phones, but that's already dealt with in a followup issue and then waved off elsewhere. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Title Suggestions:
  • Keep Calm and Spook On
  • Handle With Scare
  • No Guts, No Gory
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 am

Socio Polor wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:This still has a lot of little things that are not as polished as they could be. I agree with Sacara that the "moral principles" line is awkward. I'm not into the title. I don't think the WhoTuber needs an assigned gender. I don't think we can leave "FUC-" even with the final K cut off.

Ok, I'll alter those. Really, the title isn't good :( I thought this one would be better

Australian rePublic wrote:Why are these people experiencing all these things? Faulty infrastructure or too scary?

Watch the links I provided to see, it'll give you a good understanding Aussie

Links are useless out of the drafting thread. All context (within reason) should be placed in issue. The only purpose that links posted in the OP should serve is explaining your inspiration
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:03 am

Crazy to think that I started this issue three years ago and still working on it to this day! But here I am, back at it again, with a new and improved draft for the contest. Hopefully, it's not as rough as the last one was. The only thing missing is the effect lines which I'll add when I get back. Feel free to nitpick and comment to your hearts desires and hopefully I can get this one out of drafting hell and into the game :p
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:07 am

Youre still missing an apostrophe in the title :P

What is the difference between Options 3a and 3b supposed to be? The option text for both is identical.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:25 am

Tinhampton wrote:Youre still missing an apostrophe in the title :P

Heh, that's what happens when you leave an issue for a few years and then come back. :p I'll be changing the title so it won't matter

Tinhampton wrote:What is the difference between Options 3a and 3b supposed to be? The option text for both is identical.

Just slight wording alterations, in 3a the speaker is referred to as "owner" and uses the term "business," which would only be existent in a capitalist society; so I made 3b so that communist nations could receive this option as well.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello there, fun old draft :-P Good to see it picked up again. My current thoughts:

- Apostrophe needed in the title, as mentioned above, as well as on "thrill-seeker's" in the description.

- "Mental impairment" may not be the best term to use in the description. Are you wanting to suggest something along the lines of "lasting trauma" or perhaps a specific item like "reoccurring nightmares" for this?

- I'm guessing this is based on McKamey Manor? Either way, it might be worth explaining a bit more about why or how people are getting these injuries, since even an "extreme" version of a traditional haunted house wouldn't result in physical harm. Just a quick note about their inclusion of physical injuries, torture, a lack of safe words, etc could help frame why this is so big a deal.

- The speaker in Option 1 doesn't really land for me. A WhoTuber is fine (though will require computer and internet validities, which otherwise aren't necessary for the issue), but popping a one-handed wheelie (on what?) and then shooting your intern (that isn't reasonable) seems a bit disconnected.

- Stakes are raised, Steaks are cooked. Ray's The Steaks was a nice steakhouse near Washington DC some years ago, run by a guy named Ray, but I don't think that's what you mean!

- Unless the idea is that this is a government-owned experience, the government isn't able to raise the stakes itself. This argument should be for regulations to permit the raising of stakes, rather than an insistence that it be made to happen. The idea of what sounds like execution for failure is… not really believable. Again with the regulations though, asking for the law to look the other way in extreme cases up to and including death, if the waivers are signed, could be a thing.

- Why are the first three speakers hardcoded to be male? I don't see anything needing that. You can macro their pronouns to adjust genders as needed. Also, Leader shouldn't be assumed to be male. I realize "bro" is sometimes used in a gender-neutral manner, but food for thought on Option 1.

- Speaker 2 comes in with "as we have read" and then asks "have you read?" about the same things. Definitely good stuff to emphasize, but just double-check for consistency in their thought process there. Who the speaker means to be the antecedent of "they do it all for fun" is unclear. Is "they" the guests, or the staff of the haunted houses who might be alleged to get off on inflicting this pain on others?

- Unless further differentiation is made between them, I think the two Option 3s could be combined without major loss to either side. The current option 3b would work for capitalists a well, in current format.

- For the fourth option, I'd focus the text a bit less on the thing about the WhoTuber and the intern, and a bit more on how this suggestion is going to actually help the government (which again, probably isn't the one currently running the haunts). Boosting an industry is valid, but it'd be worth laying out what the government needs to provide and what benefits it will gain from supporting the creation of this show.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:56 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Hello there, fun old draft :-P Good to see it picked up again. My current thoughts:

- Apostrophe needed in the title, as mentioned above, as well as on "thrill-seeker's" in the description.

Yep, got it!

Verdant Haven wrote:- "Mental impairment" may not be the best term to use in the description. Are you wanting to suggest something along the lines of "lasting trauma" or perhaps a specific item like "reoccurring nightmares" for this?

Done!

Verdant Haven wrote:- I'm guessing this is based on McKamey Manor? Either way, it might be worth explaining a bit more about why or how people are getting these injuries, since even an "extreme" version of a traditional haunted house wouldn't result in physical harm. Just a quick note about their inclusion of physical injuries, torture, a lack of safe words, etc could help frame why this is so big a deal.

Just a quick note or a more in-depth explanation? Cause it's mentioned not only in the description but in option 2 and briefly in option 3 that inflictions of injury, forceable consumption of waste (urine, poop, and other things you probably shouldn't consume), and lack of safe words are why this issue matters and is being taken all the way to @@leader@@'s attention.

Verdant Haven wrote:- The speaker in Option 1 doesn't really land for me. A WhoTuber is fine (though will require computer and internet validities, which otherwise aren't necessary for the issue), but popping a one-handed wheelie (on what?) and then shooting your intern (that isn't reasonable) seems a bit disconnected.

I'll drop the speaker as being a WhoTuber since I just remembered it would require a computer/internet validity. As for what he's doing a wheelie on, I'll say it's a bike or something which I'll specify, and as for shooting the intern it was meant to be viewed as comedic due to the sheer randomness of it and to imply the speaker as being a bit of a nutjob. Though if others don't like this, I'll change the line.

Verdant Haven wrote:- Stakes are raised, Steaks are cooked. Ray's The Steaks was a nice steakhouse near Washington DC some years ago, run by a guy named Ray, but I don't think that's what you mean!

*Sigh* No it isn't, I'll fix this.

Verdant Haven wrote:- Unless the idea is that this is a government-owned experience, the government isn't able to raise the stakes itself. This argument should be for regulations to permit the raising of stakes, rather than an insistence that it be made to happen. The idea of what sounds like execution for failure is… not really believable. Again with the regulations though, asking for the law to look the other way in extreme cases up to and including death, if the waivers are signed, could be a thing.

Will definitely look into this, thanks!

Verdant Haven wrote:- Why are the first three speakers hardcoded to be male? I don't see anything needing that. You can macro their pronouns to adjust genders as needed. Also, Leader shouldn't be assumed to be male. I realize "bro" is sometimes used in a gender-neutral manner, but food for thought on Option 1.

Personally, I view the first three speakers as being male as their personality and mannerisms give off that impression, at least to me. Is choosing their genders in this instance necessarily a bad thing though? If so, I'll undo this. Also, I'll consider changing the usage of the term "bro" if others bring it up.

Verdant Haven wrote:- Speaker 2 comes in with "as we have read" and then asks "have you read?" about the same things. Definitely good stuff to emphasize, but just double-check for consistency in their thought process there. Who the speaker means to be the antecedent of "they do it all for fun" is unclear. Is "they" the guests, or the staff of the haunted houses who might be alleged to get off on inflicting this pain on others?

So, when the Secretary of Safety says "...have you actually read the profile of these places?" it's meant to be a rhetorical question. As for who the "they" is, I'll make that clear.

Verdant Haven wrote:- Unless further differentiation is made between them, I think the two Option 3s could be combined without major loss to either side. The current option 3b would work for capitalists a well, in current format.

Yeah, I thought of this myself subsequent to posting the new draft as the inclusion of two option 3s seems rather unnecessary considering how similar in wording they are. I'll remove 3a and just leave 3b in there.

Verdant Haven wrote:- For the fourth option, I'd focus the text a bit less on the thing about the WhoTuber and the intern, and a bit more on how this suggestion is going to actually help the government (which again, probably isn't the one currently running the haunts). Boosting an industry is valid, but it'd be worth laying out what the government needs to provide and what benefits it will gain from supporting the creation of this show.

Duly noted! Thanks!

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:35 pm

Another issue that's been sitting in the "FINISH HIM" pile for some time. I changed the title and reworked a few of the options according to some previous feedback and what I thought should be altered. Let's get this one home to the publishing house, shall we?

Edit: Yes, I'm aware the effect lines are still missing; I'll be sure to fill those in
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:50 pm

Got the effect lines in, not sure how good they are though

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:17 pm

Hey there! Solid issue topic.

Description

The independent clause of the second sentence is superfluous, as the options will address it, and @@leader@@ is capable of coming to his/her own conclusions about what the injuries mean.

Option 1

I'm not sure this is a great choice for an option 1, which usually is not the slot for crazy options. Regardless, it's rather long as it stands, and is in need of a trim. As for the effect line, it's not quite clicking, but I think you ought to be able to find one in that vein--there's a non-irony in haunted houses killing people that has the potential to be quite humorous.

Option 2

Also a long option. I think the reference to sexual assault ought to be dropped, as that's an adult topic for something that I don't think needs to be an adult issue.

Option 3

Also a long option. Close to the dismiss button. You could maybe strengthen this option by having him say that other haunted houses ought to join his in being able to tap out.

Option 4

I don't know that this option is necessary, as it kind of doesn't address anything, especially given that it seems like there isn't so much different from this and just watching a horror movie or thriller. Speaking of that, if anyone bans movies, I suppose you could have an option saying to ban this but bring those back so that people can experience terror in their lives or something. Not mandatory by any means.

There's a solid core here, but a lot of work to be done. Good luck! Hope to see this in the game if I'm still playing in a couple of months :)
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?