NATION

PASSWORD

[Issue Change]- Harry Potter Censorship Row

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Issue Change]- Harry Potter Censorship Row

Postby Woods Is Back » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:14 am

Harry Potter Censorship Row

The Issue
The latest "Harry Potter" book to hit schools across @@NAME@@ has stirred up the greatest controversy yet.

The Debate
1. "I quite enjoyed the book, until I got to the part where Harry summons evil demons to do his bidding," says religious leader @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Now that's just wrong. We need to restore some sense to this debate, by which I mean we should remove this book from the shelves, salt it thoroughly, and burn it."

2. Teachers union President @@RANDOMNAME@@ says, "Come on, the book is fantasy! And it's a damn good read. I'd like the government to issue a statement of support for our teachers and librarians, so kids can enjoy good books without interference from religious wackos, like Christians."

So I personally would like to change this issue, so it says Violetists, or some game created religion instead of Christians. As a Christian myself, I know firsthand that our parents Do allow us to read fictional stories with demons etc., as long as we understand they aren't real. So I can vouch for the majority of Christians syaing- this wouldn't happen. Plus, I don't remember seeing any other issues that mention religions that aren't created for the game. So for me, this issue doesn't read right, but, I could be wrong for others.
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

Polar Night
Civilian

Founded: Nov 26, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Polar Night » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am

If I recall correctly, this was brought up before. In fact, the idea to remove references to all real world religions was proposed -- there's a couple references to Christianity in the early issues.

The trouble is, it doesn't seem like anyone wants to touch that initial batch of issues. They're kind of sacrosanct, being developed by Max at the outset of the game.

However, there really was and still are vocal Christian groups who work to censor the books. They may be a minority, and may not represent your specific denomination, but they're a real thing.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 am

I do believe the current policy is to tolerate current mentions of IRL religions in already extant issues, but not to allow further mentions in future issues.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am

Candensia wrote:I do believe the current policy is to tolerate current mentions of IRL religions in already extant issues, but not to allow further mentions in future issues.
Polar Night wrote:If I recall correctly, this was brought up before. In fact, the idea to remove references to all real world religions was proposed -- there's a couple references to Christianity in the early issues.

The trouble is, it doesn't seem like anyone wants to touch that initial batch of issues. They're kind of sacrosanct, being developed by Max at the outset of the game.

However, there really was and still are vocal Christian groups who work to censor the books. They may be a minority, and may not represent your specific denomination, but they're a real thing.

Ok, thank you both!
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:38 pm

While I'm personally against the change myself (issue speakers don't have to be politically correct or even right), Max's original 31 issues are by no means off-limits.

I'll raise the issue again backstage.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:34 am

Christian here. Dude, demons are real. Nonetheless. I rose this matter once, stating that Christian extremists are the least likely extremists to ban these books. IE's said that that's the joke, and that was the end of it.

Whilst we're changing Max's first 31 issues, I have been campaigning to change Issue 6 from Catholicism to @@FAITH@@ since I first received that issue in 2011 (possibly before then). It would be stupid for a Muslim country (for example) to appoint a Catholic deacon as the religious minister, especially as that option is trying to imply that Catholicism is the main religion
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:19 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Christian here. Dude, demons are real. Nonetheless. I rose this matter once, stating that Christian extremists are the least likely extremists to ban these books. IE's said that that's the joke, and that was the end of it.

Whilst we're changing Max's first 31 issues, I have been campaigning to change Issue 6 from Catholicism to @@FAITH@@ since I first received that issue in 2011 (possibly before then). It would be stupid for a Muslim country (for example) to appoint a Catholic deacon as the religious minister, especially as that option is trying to imply that Catholicism is the main religion

You know Aussie that issue was likely because of actual christians in the United States calling for the banning of Harry Potter, and that according to the American Library Association it was the most banned book (series) of 2002 and the second most banned in 2003.

Anyway, to be more on topic, I thought I would mention while I used to be someone who felt all of Max’s issues should be held untouchable, I have found my opinion on that has changed over time. Where they make assumptions about the player nation that wouldn’t be considered acceptable anywhere else in the issue bank I am sure they can be quite jarring for some players. Especially newer ones who don’t know those issues are basically ones grandfathered in because Max wrote them.
Last edited by Leutria on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:24 am

Leutria wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Christian here. Dude, demons are real. Nonetheless. I rose this matter once, stating that Christian extremists are the least likely extremists to ban these books. IE's said that that's the joke, and that was the end of it.

You know Aussie that issue was likely because of actual christians in the United States calling for the banning of Harry Potter, and that according to the American Library Association it was the most banned book (series) of 2002 and the second most banned in 2003.

Really. Hmmm... Interesting...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:33 am

Bounced the idea backstage and the response was in favor of leaving it the way it is.

Australian rePublic wrote:Whilst we're changing Max's first 31 issues, I have been campaigning to change Issue 6 from Catholicism to @@FAITH@@ since I first received that issue in 2011 (possibly before then). It would be stupid for a Muslim country (for example) to appoint a Catholic deacon as the religious minister, especially as that option is trying to imply that Catholicism is the main religion

That's been changed for (nearly) a year.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 am

Luna Amore wrote:Bounced the idea backstage and the response was in favor of leaving it the way it is.

Australian rePublic wrote:Whilst we're changing Max's first 31 issues, I have been campaigning to change Issue 6 from Catholicism to @@FAITH@@ since I first received that issue in 2011 (possibly before then). It would be stupid for a Muslim country (for example) to appoint a Catholic deacon as the religious minister, especially as that option is trying to imply that Catholicism is the main religion

That's been changed for (nearly) a year.

Thank you

-Raymond Reddington

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?