NATION

PASSWORD

[REJECTED] Waist Not, Want Not

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[REJECTED] Waist Not, Want Not

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Title: Waist Not, Want Not

Description: Sagging is the latest fashion trend sweeping @@name@@, with youngsters hailing it as "the wardrobe wonder!" and "the hippest hit!" But when high schooler @@randommalename@@ strolled into class with pants at knee level, the debate began: is this style simply a contemporary chic, or has it slumped into the near-nudity territory?

Validity: Prudism Policy and Moderate to High Youth Rebellion (Maybe?)

Option 1: "What on Earth is going on with our youngins, @@leader@@?" asks @@randommalefirstname@@ Urkel, sporting pants so high they might as well be a scarf. He places his hands on your shoulders and pleads, "This saggy-pants fad is improper and indecorous! Let's enforce waistlines at the navel, just like mine!" As he strikes a pose, he spins and accidentally shatters your prized vase. "Oops! Did I do that!?"
Effect: size 50 pants become the new extra-small

Option 2: "While I concur with Mr. Urkel's distaste, dictating dress codes isn't the answer," interjects @@randomname@@, a renowned fashion designer in @@name@@. "Our country's stale styles have driven kids to dress like exhibitionists. They need a fresh, fabulous look to redefine themselves – something I can create. Collaborate with me, @@leader@@, and I'll turn these youths into runway royalty!"
Effect: city sidewalks transform into daily catwalks

Option 3: "Hold your haute couture horses," interrupts @@randomname@@, head of the @@name@@ Cultural Society. "Sagging is a form of self-expression for ethnic minorities, especially our Bigtopian residents. Banning it equals discrimination. Why not raise awareness about this cultural phenomenon with billboards and posters proclaiming 'We sag 'cause we swag!' Catchy, right? In fact @@leader@@, I think it'll be great if you too would partake in this new fad, just think how popular you'd be with the young generation!"
Effect: politicians are often caught with their pants down

Title: It’s Just Swag

Description: Sagging has become the number one fashion trend in @@name@@, with many teens and youthful denizens dubbing it "the trend of the decade!" and "the new cool!" However, when high school student @@randommalename@@ came into class with his pants at his knees, many have begun to question if this fashion craze has gone too far down, with some considering it borderline nudity.

Validity: Prudism Policy and Moderate to High Youth Rebellion (Maybe?)

Option 1: "What in tarnation has happened to our youth @@leader@@?" questions @@randommalefirstname@@ Urkel, whose pants exceed the waistline. He approaches you, putting his hands on your shoulder. "This sagging of the pants is all wrong and isn't proper, I tell you. Do away with it and instead make every @@demonym@@ wear their trousers firmly at their navel as mine see." He does a pose for you and, by spinning, accidentally knocks over your vase. "Oops! Did I do that?"
Effect: length forty pants are the new small

Option 2: "I agree with Mr. Urkel that this is indecent, but mandating how people dress isn't the way to go," intervenes @@randomname@@ one of @@name@@'s prominent fashion designers. "It's clear to me that the problem is our country's outdated fashion that has these kids dressing like strippers. What they need is a new style of glamour, something that'll impact how our youth show themselves, something I can make. Work with me @@leader@@, and I'll have these kids looking like supermodels!"
Effect: sidewalks are now looking like runways

Option 3: "Before we start putting young @@demonymplural@@ into the next fashion week magazine, hear this out," interposes @@randomname@@, head of the @@name@@ Minority Club. "Pants sagging has become a way for ethnic minorities, primarily our Bigtopian residents, a way of expressing themselves; banning it will only discriminate against them. Why not raise awareness amongst the populace on this rising culture, maybe some billboards and posters that read 'We sag because it's swag.' It has a sorta ring to it, don't you agree?"
Effect: politicians and business people are seen sagging through important meetings

Title: It’s Just Swag

Description: Sagging has become the number one fashion trend in @@name@@, with many teens and youthful denizens dubbing it "the trend of the decade!" and "the new formal!" However, when college student @@randommalename@@ came into a lecture seminar with his pants at his knees, many are wondering if this fashion craze is going too far with many considering it borderline nudity.

Validity: Adult, Nudity Is Outlawed and Moderate to High Youth Rebellion (Maybe?)

Option 1: “Ohhh yeah! Shake that bubble booty! Momma knows I like me some bubble booty!” shouts college student @@randomfemalename@@ in excitement as she twerks in your office. “Come on @@leader@@, It’s just swag, not like we’re bothering anyone. In fact, sagging should become the new way to wear pants!” She pulls your pants down to your hips, "There! Much better isn't it?"
Effect: a gaze at someone's undergarments is often misinterpreted as sexual harassment

Option 2: “@@leader@@, between me and you, I think we f’d up with this younger generation,” professes professor @@randomname@@, while pulling up @@his@@ sons trousers. “This ‘swag’ as they call it is nothing but a negative influence on young minds. Fine any person who doesn’t have their pants firmly at their waist I say.”
Effect: an inch below the waist is a ticket in the face

Option 3: “We mustn't discourage the younger generation from expressing their...creativity,” upholds @@randomname@@, a teen rights advocate. “A tad seductive I admit, but we can still make it work. People are allowed to sag as long as their pants are no lower than their buttocks, sound fair?”
Effect: butt cracks are seen more than cats
Last edited by Socio Polor on Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:48 am, edited 31 times in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 am

Hi Socio Polor, I am glad to see that the quality of your writing is definitely improving, however, I can't see this being an issue. What you're talking about here is just a fashion trend. Fashion trends have never required government intervention. In a couple of years this trend of wearing your pants half way down your legs will just be a bad memory. I grew up in the 1970s, but I'm not going to write an issue about how flared trousers emotionally scarred me for life. And in olden days a glimpse of stocking was thought of as shocking, but now, anything goes. :)
Last edited by Baggieland on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:14 am

It's less that it's ugly, and more that in particularly prudish societies, even seeing someone's underwear would be considered indecent. Though NationStates is usually about setting policy in broad strokes rather than micromanaging precise details, and if we are going to be nitpicking the exact limits of acceptable nudity beyond "public nudity is legal or not", there are probably more important questions to ask.

...But seriously, people actually do this?

Even leaving aside how ridiculous it looks, how would you walk with your pants halfway down your legs?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:20 am

You wouldn't walk; you'd strut.

But yeah, I think the bigger issue is that this has overlap with an existing issue!

I mean, yes, it's technically different, but I'd say it's a similar topic: How much is showing too much?
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:17 am

Baggieland wrote:Hi Socio Polor, I am glad to see that the quality of your writing is definitely improving, however, I can't see this being an issue. What you're talking about here is just a fashion trend. Fashion trends have never required government intervention. In a couple of years this trend of wearing your pants half way down your legs will just be a bad memory. I grew up in the 1970s, but I'm not going to write an issue about how flared trousers emotionally scarred me for life. And in olden days a glimpse of stocking was thought of as shocking, but now, anything goes. :)

Thanks Baggie :) . Though the thing with sagging is it's considered by some to be "borderline nudity" and disrespectful to themselves and people around them. Also a few states such as South Carolina, Florida and New Jersey to name a few passed bills in the past that made it illegal to sag in public.

Jutsa wrote:You wouldn't walk; you'd strut.

But yeah, I think the bigger issue is that this has overlap with an existing issue!

I mean, yes, it's technically different, but I'd say it's a similar topic: How much is showing too much?

Eh, it's similar, but not a complete overlap so it should be alright

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:29 am

Trotterdam wrote:It's less that it's ugly, and more that in particularly prudish societies, even seeing someone's underwear would be considered indecent. Though NationStates is usually about setting policy in broad strokes rather than micromanaging precise details, and if we are going to be nitpicking the exact limits of acceptable nudity beyond "public nudity is legal or not", there are probably more important questions to ask.

...But seriously, people actually do this?

Even leaving aside how ridiculous it looks, how would you walk with your pants halfway down your legs?

People do it.

According to my ex, it was originally a prison thing where guys would pull their pants down to let other inmates know they were available to be banged. But then people started doing it outside prison because they thought it made them look thuggish and edgy.

My ex is not a reliable source on all things, so if you've seen this debunked somewhere, then such is life, but that's what he told me.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:42 am

Baggieland wrote:Hi Socio Polor, I am glad to see that the quality of your writing is definitely improving, however, I can't see this being an issue. What you're talking about here is just a fashion trend. Fashion trends have never required government intervention. In a couple of years this trend of wearing your pants half way down your legs will just be a bad memory. I grew up in the 1970s, but I'm not going to write an issue about how flared trousers emotionally scarred me for life. And in olden days a glimpse of stocking was thought of as shocking, but now, anything goes. :)

I agree with Baggie, though I'd say that given enough context a fashion trend could constitute an issue.

For example, #593 is about women's sleeves getting shorter in nations with oppressive laws against bare flesh. That works as an issue because it goes beyond fashion and into societal beliefs about modesty and gender roles.

Here, if you were to reframe the fashion trend as being indicative of something else, it might work. However, as we already have issues complaining about rap music and/or rebellious youths, it may be hard to find an angle that doesn't overlap existing issues.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks for the comment CWA! :) I'll see if I can specify a bit further why sagging is "bad"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:17 am

Doesn't SWAG stand for "Secretly, We Are Gay"?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Doesn't SWAG stand for "Secretly, We Are Gay"?

Nope.

That's one of many false acronym etymologies for the word. It actually has been in English for about 700 years, entering in to Middle English from one of the Scandinavian languages (I don't recall which), referring to a lurching or swaying movement (the word "swagger is derived from the same place). This developed to the idea of a bindle or overstuffed bag that bounces or sways as being called a swag, and that (by the 1700s) became a term for a bag of loot or stolen goods carried by a bandit or swagman.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:42 am

Snopes factchecks the assertion awesomely, btw:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/swag/

Looking forward to seeing the revision here, SP.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Updated

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 am

Any more feedback?

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Further Feedback?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:47 am

Same criticisms as before. There's no context.

Description: Many of today’s @@demonymadjective@@ youth have lately been spotted roaming the streets with their pants sagging, exposing their undergarments. Many find this latest trend unbefitting while others see nothing wrong with it. Citizens across @@name@@ are now wanting to see an end to this fashion dispute.

The second sentence is redundant, as all it does is say that there are different opinions. The third sentence is redundant as it just says there is an issue. So all you're left with is this:

Description: Many of today’s @@demonymadjective@@ youth have lately been spotted roaming the streets with their pants sagging, exposing their undergarments.

There's still no issue there. There needs to be some reason why this is an issue or dilemma, and right now there's none.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am

Ohh that's what you meant. I'm slow sometimes
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Last bump (for now at least)

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:10 pm

You've still not changed the description enough for me to consider that you've satisfactorily addressed Baggie and CWA's concerns. Redundant padding aside, there's yet to be a core national dilemma here.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:06 am

I'm sorry, I don't see how this would work as an issue. If you want an issue about fashion trends, I suggest looking into Carribean countries who ban camouflage clothing. That would make an interesting issue
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Update! So I altered the description of the issue to make it more of a dilemma. Wondering if it's good enough or should I alter it more or some other aspect of the issue. Any comments, of course, are always welcome

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm also even open to the possibility of completely rewriting this issue, do any of y'all think I should do that, or leave it as is and just revise it more?

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am

Ok, so I decided to add more to the first option as it didn't seem to suggest anything and I removed the term "videos" from the third effect line as it would go against nations who don't have internet.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 am

There's potentially an interesting issue about clothing styles here, but it's not being delivered. Right now, you're issue is:

"Some crazy people wear saggy pants.
1 - Let us dress how we like.
2 - That's stupid, stop them!
3 - Halfway compromise
The end."

Can you see how thin that premise is?

To me, the most interesting thing about sagging is that some US states felt the need to specifically legislate against a style of dress that is more common amongst certain ethnic groups.

The fact that the style of dress is sagging isn't that interesting. More interesting is the idea that clothing styles could be regulated -- for ostensibly reasonable justifications -- in a way that in practical terms disproportionately targets an ethnic minority's fashion choices.

I think it ought to be more like:

1) This clothing style is indecent, and stupid, basically. Ban it.
2) It's stupid, but you can't interfere with the freedom to dress in certain ways. Instead, consider subsidising classic fashion and tailors who make smart clothes, and let fashion's change as a result.
3) Attacking the fashion would disproportionately target ethnic minority youths, whose fashion trend it is, instead maybe educate people about diversity, and maybe make a speech or two while adopting the fashion yourself. (effect: politicians are often caught with their pants down)
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:42 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's potentially an interesting issue about clothing styles here, but it's not being delivered. Right now, you're issue is:

"Some crazy people wear saggy pants.
1 - Let us dress how we like.
2 - That's stupid, stop them!
3 - Halfway compromise
The end."

Can you see how thin that premise is?

To me, the most interesting thing about sagging is that some US states felt the need to specifically legislate against a style of dress that is more common amongst certain ethnic groups.

The fact that the style of dress is sagging isn't that interesting. More interesting is the idea that clothing styles could be regulated -- for ostensibly reasonable justifications -- in a way that in practical terms disproportionately targets an ethnic minority's fashion choices.

This may have happened before.
Zoot Suits.
Production ostensibly banned because they used so much more fabric than ordinary suits, and wartime shortages existed, but...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:To me, the most interesting thing about sagging is that some US states felt the need to specifically legislate against a style of dress that is more common amongst certain ethnic groups.
Why are the ethnic minority wearing this? Is it actually traditional in their culture, or did they deliberately make up a weird fashion just for the sake of being different?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?