NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] The Gene Pool

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] The Gene Pool

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:19 am

I. Don't. Know. :rofl:

Draft 1.11
Title: The Gene Pool
The Issue: Evolution started catching up with @@NAME@@ when a horrific, and at times lethal, virus with no known cure started sweeping the younger population. Scientists from down in the citizen production plants have stated that the rather exclusive genetics lab's lack of genome diversity has made a large portion of @@NAME@@ susceptible to diseases, and warn that this could just be the beginning.
Validity: Vat-Grown Citizens (No Sex); Adult

Option 1: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we are currently using," proffers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "We've proven it works with our samples, and now, if we want our youth to survive, we'll need more genetic diversity. And we can do that by allowing people, both citizens and foreigners, to donate some of their genetic fluids. Everyone walks away happy, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
[effect] ???

Option 2: "That's disgusting. You people disgust me," wheezes fizzy-haired vat technician @@RANDOMNAME@@, wiping snot onto @@HIS@@ greasy lab coat. "We don't need any more human material. We just need to invest in better DNA-altering technology. We can beat evolution if you just gave us the green light to experiment on altering the DNA of fetuses."
[effect] newborns are comprised of mulligans and cocktails

Option 3: "That sounds expensive and complicated," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose only job is pulling a big baby making lever. "I remember the good old days when making babies didn't take any government maintenance. Remember those days? People would just sort-of come together and breed. I miss those days. I'm not saying you should legalize reproductive sex, I just think, you know, if someone happens to get pregnant, we might as well let her help solve our genetic diversity problem. Just saying."
[effect] reproduction is almost natural again

Option 4: "The problem is too much diversity," suggests your brother, looking rather flushed. "The population doesn't have superior genes. We should be fine-tuning our population to have the perfect genetics, starting with reproducing samples from the most genetically pure of all, our family."
[effect] @@LEADER@@ imposters are popping up everywhere

The Issue: Evolution has started catching up with @@NAME@@ when a horrific and at times lethal virus with no known cure started sweeping the younger population. Scientists from down in the citizen production plants have stated that the rather exclusive genetics lab's lack of genome diversity has made a large portion of @@NAME@@ susceptible to diseases, and warn that this could just be the beginning.

Validity: Immigration
Option 1a: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we are currently using," proffers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "We've proven it works with our samples, and now, if we want our youth to survive, we'll need more genetic diversity. And we can do that by allowing people, both citizens and immigrants, to donate some of their genetic fluids. Everyone walks away happy, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
[effect] ???

Validity: No Immigration
Option 1b: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we are currently using," proffers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "We've proven it works with our samples, and now, if we want our youth to survive, we'll need more genetic diversity. And we can do that by allowing people, both citizens and, if that's not enough, screened foreigners, to donate some of their genetic fluids. Everyone walks away happy, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
[effect] ???

Option 2: "That's disgusting. You people disgust me," wheezes fizzy-haired vat technician @@RANDOMNAME@@, wiping snot onto @@HIS@@ lab coat. "We don't need any more human material. We just need to invest in better DNA-altering technology. We can beat evolution if you just gave us the green light to experiment on altering the DNA of fetuses."

Option 3: "That sounds expensive and complicated," sighs @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose only job is pulling a big baby making lever. "I remember the good old days when making babies didn't take any government maintenance. Remember those days? People would just sort-of come together and breed. I miss those days. I'm not saying you should legalize reproductive sex, I just think, you know, if someone happens to get pregnant, we might as well let her help solve our genetic diversity problem. Just saying."

Option 4: "The problem is too much diversity," suggests your brother, looking rather flushed. "The population doesn't have superior genes. We should be fine-tuning our population to have the perfect genetics, starting with reproducing samples from the most genetically pure of all — our family."

The Issue: Evolution has started catching up with @@NAME@@ when a horrific and at times lethal virus with no known cure started sweeping the younger population. Scientists from down in the citizen production plants have stated that the lack of genetic diversity has made a large portion of @@NAME@@ susceptible to diseases, and warn that this could just be the beginning.

Validity: No DNA Harvesting
Option 1a: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we have access to," profers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "If we want to ensure the survival, yes the survival, of our youth, we need more genetic diversity. And we can do that through compulsory DNA harvesting of our older citizens. Make it mandatory that everyone donate some of their genetic fluids, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
[effect] ???

Validity: DNA Harvesting
Option 1b: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we have access to," profers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "If we want to ensure the survival, yes the survival, of our youth, we need more genetic diversity. And we can do that by accessing the police's DNA database and collecting samples from our older citizens. Make it mandatory that those copper cough up some of their genetic fluids, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
[effect] ???

Option 2: "That's disgusting. You people disgust me," wheezes fizzy-haired vat technician @@RANDOMNAME@@, wiping snot onto @@HIS@@ lab coat. "We don't need any more human material. We just need to invest in better DNA-altering technology. We can beat evolution if you just gave us the green light to experiment on altering the DNA of fetuses."

Option 4: "The problem is too much diversity," suggests your brother, looking rather flushed. "The population doesn't have superior genes. We should be fine-tuning our population to have the perfect genetics, starting with reproducing samples from the most genetically pure of all — our family."
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 am, edited 13 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 am

This issue does not involve a literal swimming pool :(

Jutsa wrote:Option 1a: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we have access to," profers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "If we want to ensure the survival, yes the survival, of our youth, we need more genetic diversity. And we can do that through compulsory DNA harvesting. Make it mandatory that everyone donate some of their genetic fluids, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
How does that even work? If we're harvesting the DNA of our own vat-grown people, we're not gaining anything we didn't already have.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 am

Ah, the idea is that this is only affecting younger people. But good point; I'll specify that it's the older population that you need to get DNA from. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jaegan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jaegan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:30 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Jutsa wrote:Option 1a: "Our vat technology can only do so much with the limited DNA we have access to," profers Boffin @@RANDOMNAME@@, handling a small petri dish. "If we want to ensure the survival, yes the survival, of our youth, we need more genetic diversity. And we can do that through compulsory DNA harvesting. Make it mandatory that everyone donate some of their genetic fluids, and we'll have these vats pumping babies like no tomorrow."
How does that even work? If we're harvesting the DNA of our own vat-grown people, we're not gaining anything we didn't already have.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too... maybe it could be about harvesting DNA from immigrants from nations where they still reproduce naturally?
Speaker: "Service and Unity", that is our motto. Yet, I doubt anyone of you would understand why it came to be. Service to Jaegan, our only home. Unity throughout the Jeo star system. The result of roughly four and a half centuries of mistakes and lessons learnt after a millennium of traversing the empty void at sublight speeds.

So much death, sacrifice, and suffering had been gone through to bring us here, and we as a people must pay back our own dues of suffering - lest we become decadent and complacent amidst the turmoil of the Universe. Do you get me, troopers?

Division soldiers: We get you, sir! - Dialogue between Army Major Job and the 32nd Free Quakes military divison

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 am

Yeah, I was wondering about that too... maybe it could be about harvesting DNA from immigrants from nations where they still reproduce naturally?

This honestly did come up in my head, another option being "kidnap them for their dna" in nations where immigration is banned,
but... eh, it's kinda hard to work out all those details without making this draft very, very long. :blush:

edit:
Trot wrote:This issue does not involve a literal swimming pool

Yeah, sorry Trot. :rofl:

If it's any consolation, it still involves vats which, I mean, they're basically pools for genes, if you think about it. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

Why would vat-growing people lead to genetic homogeneity? We're not producing clones, we're just gestating in vitro.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:55 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Why would vat-growing people lead to genetic homogeneity? We're not producing clones, we're just gestating in vitro.
Well, the issues for installing vats aren't that clear about how exactly you're obtaining your basic people templates. They do, though, generally portray vat production as the remit of a relatively insular group (a dedicated government department in charge of deciding population growth targets), rather than offering a grow-your-own-baby service to normal citizens.

While artificially recombining DNA to simulate the benefits of sexual reproduction is certainly possible (I daresay nearly trivial for anyone capable of using vat technology to begin with), there's still the question of starting population size. If your starting DNA samples are limited to the people involved in researching the vats, then it would be like trying to establish a colony from a small breeding population - not cloning, no, but it does create a genetic bottleneck.

I'm still not completely convinced the story checks out, but I see where Jutsa is coming from.

Thinking about it, though, I really think that people wouldn't be shy about submitting their genes to begin with. Wanting to procreate is a natural instinct, and while our normal reproductive instincts don't really apply here because they get confused by all this newfangled technology stuff, ensuring the existence of more people similar to yourself (because they have some of your genes) would appeal to many people's ego. People'd probably be fighting to get their genes copied most.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

That last point is actually a pretty dang good one...
Hmmm. That does throw a wrench into the pipework.

I could possibly have option one "open things up",
Rather than make donating compulsory. Think it'd work?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Jutsa wrote:That last point is actually a pretty dang good one...

"Open things up" would also be easier to combine with the idea of getting foreign DNA.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:37 pm

You're missing an obvious solution. Declare a war and harvest the DNA of POWs
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:12 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Jutsa wrote:That last point is actually a pretty dang good one...

"Open things up" would also be easier to combine with the idea of getting foreign DNA.

Alright, I've opened up to the idea. ;)
Australian rePublic wrote:You're missing an obvious solution. Declare a war and harvest the DNA of POWs

Naeh, too obvious a solution. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Changed option 1. Kinda sad it doesn't riff off of the DNA harvesting policy, but it really wasn't a necessity.

Still have a variant for nations without immigration though. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:39 am

Bump~ Any thoughts?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 am

Putting this up for last call. :)

Decided to go through and change a couple little details, including desplitting option 1.
Still not sure what to put down as an effect line though. :P

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 am

Sorry, I still don't buy the premise. Can't see why genetic homogeneity has resulted from vat use.

If anything, being able to select combinations in a planned fashion allows for deliberate diversification beyond what would occur naturally. For example IRL people often self-select those of their own ethnic group for breeding purposes, whereas in a Vat situation there'd be no such bias.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Sorry, I still don't buy the premise. Can't see why genetic homogeneity has resulted from vat use.

If anything, being able to select combinations in a planned fashion allows for deliberate diversification beyond what would occur naturally. For example IRL people often self-select those of their own ethnic group for breeding purposes, whereas in a Vat situation there'd be no such bias.

Maybe limit it to nations that have low inclusiveness so they wouldn't make the effort to maintain diversity?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am

Yeah... looking through, I realize that aside from the assumptiveness and questionably functionability of this,
it also overlaps with your own issue, #1003, which already assumes that you can teak DNA.

Guess it's goodbye to pulling the big baby making lever...
:rofl:

Still was fun to work on. Feel free to scrap this for parts. :)

edit: though, it does make me wonder about nations with vat-grown citizens and high primitiveness, which...
I mean, actually is pretty common.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am

Jutsa wrote:Yeah... looking through, I realize that aside from the assumptiveness and questionably functionability of this,
it also overlaps with your own issue, #1003, which already assumes that you can teak DNA.

Guess it's goodbye to pulling the big baby making lever...
:rofl:

Still was fun to work on. Feel free to scrap this for parts. :)

edit: though, it does make me wonder about nations with vat-grown citizens and high primitiveness, which...
I mean, actually is pretty common.

It'd be amusing to see an issue about nations who have the vats but aren't sure how to work them. However, while issues for niche groups are becoming more acceptable, this really would be a SUPER niche group, maybe 9 or 10 people getting the issue each month.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:27 am

Oof, I guess my secondary account being one of those nations has seriously made me underestimate how rare that actually is... :blush:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?