NATION

PASSWORD

[REJECTED] Private Education

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[REJECTED] Private Education

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Seeing as though there's no issue currently in the game that implements charter and private schools, I thought It would be appropriate to write it myself to go along with this other draft of mine.

Title: Private Education

Description: The @@demonymadjective@@ public school system has been receiving a lot of criticism and complaints lately from parents and children alike. State schools have been dubbed "too systematic" and "not very flexible" with class scheduling and availability. Now, every parent and their next door neighbor's son is looking at you to resolve the situation.

Validity: Capitalist, Low Public Education and Charter and Private Schools don't exist

Option 1: "Public schools are just too outdated, the books are older than @@name@@ itself," states @@randomname@@, a parent of four. "We're living in a 21st century society @@leader@@, and as such the kids deserve 21st century schooling. I propose legalizing charter and private institutions, which will give the incoming and future generations the proper skills and mindset they need to succeed in life."
Effect: state schools are like barren waste lands

Option 2: "We aren't 'outdated' we are underfunded," affirms @@randomname@@, Interim Secretary of the @@capital@@ Public School district. "There's no need for private or charter schools as with the proper funding, @@demonymadjective@@ state schools can become the best in all of @@region@@.
Effect: state schools are often overfilled with students

Validity: Must have Computers and Internet
Option 3: "If this is truly a 21st century society, you would abolish state and physical schools altogether and resort to online learning instead," interposes @@randomname@@, a child whiz in preschool. "It's cheaper, more personalized and kids like me can learn and accelerate at our own pace."
Effect: children are distracted by every pop up meme

Title: Private Education

Description: Many parents throughout @@name@@ are finding that they're displeased with the public school system. Some have said that it's "Too mediocre" or "Too systematic." Now, every parent and their next door neighbor's son is looking to you to satisfy their child's academic needs.

Validity: Charter and Private Schools don't exist

Option 1: "My little honey bunch of oats is the best son in all of @@region@@, and as such deserves the best schooling @@name@@ has to offer," petitions @@randomfemalename@@ while clutching her son harder than any mother in the world. "My little boy must attend a private institution for his sake or at least a charter school, state run schools are so low class."
Effect: state schools look like barren waste lands

Option 2: "Seriously? This is just another attempt for the wealthy elites to get their snobby behinds above everyone else," counters @@randomname@@, a student counselor at the @@capital@@ k-12 school. "There's nothing wrong with public schools, with the proper funding and support our resources and benefits can top any charter or private institution."
Effect: state schools are often overfilled with students
Last edited by Socio Polor on Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:47 am, edited 14 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:04 am

It's a little two-dimensional. It comes down to:

Some people want charter schools
1) Allow charter schools
2) Fund state schools better

There's just not enough to it, basically.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 am

To be more constructive (as I realise I'm knocking you back a lot recently), I think you need to frame this in some sort of dilemma. Give it contemporaneity in some way, making it a question of something happening right now that necessitates a decision. Specifically, think about a situation that might arise in the absence of private schools, and then offer solutions that include but are not limited to setting these up.

Hallorland
Civilian

Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallorland » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:27 am

It's a good idea, but like Candlewhisper said, it needs some work. Try and add more options, and be more specific as to what will happen after the decision is made.
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot; but make it hot, by striking - William Butler Yeats

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:12 am

What's a charater school?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What's a charater school?

You have them in Australia, though you don't use the word. Check wikipedia.

Same is true here in the UK, btw.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:23 am

Moving on, wait, are we assuming that private schools don't exist
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's a little two-dimensional. It comes down to:

Some people want charter schools
1) Allow charter schools
2) Fund state schools better

There's just not enough to it, basically.

It's actually
1) Establish charter and private schools
2) Don't establish charter and private schools

Though I can see it's a bit misleading, I'll reword the 2nd option a bit. I feel like issues like these don't need to be any longer than what they already are. It's either yes, establish private and charter schools, or no, don't establish private and charter schools.

Australian rePublic wrote:Moving on, wait, are we assuming that private schools don't exist

I'd say it's better than assuming that they do. It be kinda weird to have an issue that references charter and private schools while there's no issue that actually discusses them

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Socio Polor wrote:It's actually

1) It isn't up to the state to establish private schools, only to allow their creation. A state created school is... exactly the same as what the speaker is trying to leave. This should at the very least be phrased as allowing the creation of those things, rather than creating them yourself.

2) The dismiss button is the "don't do anything" option. I think CWA was charitably nudging towards a more acceptable position.

I would also probably separate the private school and charter school options. They're pretty different. I have no problem with private schools, but would never allow them if I had to dual-authorize charter schools with them.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:27 am

I agree with VH's insights there. However, I think the core thing that is stopping this being a publishable issue is the premise itself. There needs to be a story here to launch a dilemma, not just the presentation of a "what do you prefer?" choice.

To explain:

DOESN'T WORK: This is a choice. Choose.
DOESN'T WORK: People are worried about this choice. Choose.
DOES WORK: This thing has happened. This choice is implied. What do you want to do?

Think narrative. Think about how the dilemma arises, and why it is a dilemma.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:38 am

You could add a School Voucher option.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I agree with VH's insights there. However, I think the core thing that is stopping this being a publishable issue is the premise itself. There needs to be a story here to launch a dilemma, not just the presentation of a "what do you prefer?" choice.

To explain:

DOESN'T WORK: This is a choice. Choose.
DOESN'T WORK: People are worried about this choice. Choose.
DOES WORK: This thing has happened. This choice is implied. What do you want to do?

Think narrative. Think about how the dilemma arises, and why it is a dilemma.

That makes sense, I'll rewrite this and see how it turns out

Kurnugia wrote:You could add a School Voucher option.

School Voucher will likely have to be an issue all on its own as it's usually given to kids who attend non-public schools

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 am

Probably not valid for communist nations, as those are presumably much more likely than capitalist ones to insist on a single system of state-run/funded schools? You can't really have private schools very easily without private property, after all...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:It's actually

1) It isn't up to the state to establish private schools, only to allow their creation. A state created school is... exactly the same as what the speaker is trying to leave. This should at the very least be phrased as allowing the creation of those things, rather than creating them yourself.

2) The dismiss button is the "don't do anything" option. I think CWA was charitably nudging towards a more acceptable position.

I would also probably separate the private school and charter school options. They're pretty different. I have no problem with private schools, but would never allow them if I had to dual-authorize charter schools with them.

1) Yeah that was what I was getting at. Perhaps I should clarify that better

2) I see what he was saying now

I think it's best to keep private and charter schools together as the only difference between them is one receives government funding while the other doesn't. Plus, with both charter and private schools being independently operated, it'll be unusual to legalize one but not legalize the other

Edit: I should have an updated draft sometime in the morning (It's late where I live :p )
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Probably not valid for communist nations, as those are presumably much more likely than capitalist ones to insist on a single system of state-run/funded schools? You can't really have private schools very easily without private property, after all...

I was thinking the same thing thanks.

Aaand, draft now updated! hopefully this one is better than its initial incarnation
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Further comment?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 pm

This version is definitely an improvement.

I have to hit the hay, so I apologize for how brief this will be, but a quick glance generated two comments from me:

1) It's not necessarily the 21st century in NS. Different RP's and head-canons have different settings, some of which aren't even on Earth, so I think it would probably be best to use terms like "modern" or "advanced" rather than specifically tying it to a date.

2) I feel like the actual criticism of public/state schools isn't clear. "Too systematic" how? "Not very flexible" for what? As a result, the first argument ("outdated") feels like it lacks meaning. The proponent is giving me buzzwords instead of arguments, so I don't feel like there's really a problem.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:29 am

I think 21st century is on the list of acceptable assumptions to make in storytelling, just as we assume that the planet is Earth and the sentient species is humans. Peeps are free to rp what they like, but we have to assume conventional worlds by default for the purposes of Issue creation.

Otherwise we'd be going down the route of "why does this issue mention a character's hands? my people only have hooves" and "why does this issue mention a male character? there's only women reproducing via parthenogenesis in my nation."
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:This version is definitely an improvement.
2) I feel like the actual criticism of public/state schools isn't clear. "Too systematic" how? "Not very flexible" for what? As a result, the first argument ("outdated") feels like it lacks meaning. The proponent is giving me buzzwords instead of arguments, so I don't feel like there's really a problem.

I'll see what I can do, thanks

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Updated!

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:49 am

Any further feedback?

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:01 am

I think it's about time to bump this up to last call

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am

Two minor little suggestions:

1) You don't have to capitalize the first words inside the quotes: "Too systematic" and "Not very flexible" (can be "too" and "not")

2) I would suggest adding a validity that checks for low public education stats, so there's actually something to solve. It wouldn't make much sense for this to pop up in a place with global top 10% public education, for example.

Looking reasonable!

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Two minor little suggestions:

1) You don't have to capitalize the first words inside the quotes: "Too systematic" and "Not very flexible" (can be "too" and "not")

2) I would suggest adding a validity that checks for low public education stats, so there's actually something to solve. It wouldn't make much sense for this to pop up in a place with global top 10% public education, for example.

Looking reasonable!

Points taken, thanks

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 pm

One last thing before I submit this in. Should option 3 have a "no online learning" validity or is it good as it is?
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?