NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]Tell Me Sweet Little Lies (SUBMITTED)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT]Tell Me Sweet Little Lies (SUBMITTED)

Postby Kurnugia » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:28 am

[issue]After the false accusation of @@RANDOMNAME@@ of being the mastermind behind the great heist on @@NAME@@'s strategic chocolate reserve, due to a false polygraph analysis. The reliability of the polygraph is under scrutiny.

[option 1] "The polygraph is a valid method to assess whenever someone is lying," nervously repeats the polygraph operator in the investigation of the heist. "Besides, even if it didn't work, it still makes criminals nervous and more honest. But then it does work."
[resolution 1]polygraphs are a popular prank to pull on junior police officers

[option 2] [vaild if control chips] "Oh come on! Next, we are going to use a crystal ball to find out the truth," lambasts your science advisors the operator "What we need is a new modern concept. Give us the funding and we will develop a control chip that can read the neural activities of its subject."
[resolution 2]a new "thought police" branch has been established

[option 3]"Bah!" you hear an old @@CAPITAL@@ Police officer utter in disapproval "if you ask me, these fancy gadgets are making policemen soft. Back in the days, we were much more diligent in finding out the truth. Nothing brings honesty out faster than a good old beating."
[resolution 3] even snitches get stitches

[option 4]"I cannot believe that we are still talking about interviewing people!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@ the accused's lawyers. " My client has a serious anxiety issue. Interviews are discriminatory and primitive. It has no place in a civilized society."
[resolution 4] police refuse to investigate a self-denunciation unless accompanied by a lot of evidence

[issue]After the guilty verdict of a government intern for leaking military secrets, the true perpetrator confessed. The intern claims to suffer an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction had been based on. Thus @@HE@@ made it @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure.

[option 1] "Look, the fact of the matter is that polygraphs are a bad way to conduct an investigation," you hear your intern repeat for what feels like the thousandth time. "it doesn't account for sweaty and anxious people. I shudder to think about how others with a worse condition than mine cope with this barbaric practice."
[resolution 1] polygraphs have been redelegated in the dungeon part of castle museums

[option 2]"Objection!" you hear your federal prosecutor yell across the hallway. "The polygraph is a very valid and accurate way to assess if the suspect is lying. Despite having our outliers, like this situation. It measures everything that could indicate if someone is lying accurately. And under us: Even if it were to be hogwash like your intern claims, it still would make perpetrators nervous and more likely to confess to. Thus you should if anything make them the norm when interviewing suspects."
[resolution 2] polygraphs are a popular prank to pull on junior police officers

[option 3] [vaild if control chips] "Oh come on! Next, you are going to use a crystal ball in our investigation" lambasts your science advisors the prosecutor "What we need is a new modern concept. Give us the funding and we will develop a pivoted control chip that can read the neural activities of its subject. This will be even more accurate than this dated method."
[resolution 3]the new "thought police" branch has been established

[option 4]"Bah!" you hear an old @@CAPITAL@@ Police officer utter in disapproval "if you ask me, these fancy gadgets are making the police too soft. Back in the days, when we had much more playing room on how we were interacting with suspects, it was more hands on. And believe me, nothing brings out honesty of a person than some good old beating."
[resolution 4] even snitches get stitches

[issue]After the guilty verdict of a government intern for leaking the location of the strategic chocolate reserve (SCR), the true perpetrator confessed. The intern claims to suffer an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction has been based on and declared to be @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure in criminal investigations.

[option 1] "Look, the fact of the matter is that polygraphs are a bad way to investigate a suspect," you hear your intern repeat for what feels like the thousandth time. "it doesn't account for sweaty and anxious people. I shudder to think about how others with a worse condition than mine can cope with this barbaric practice."
[resolution 1] polygraphs have been relegated to the dungeon part of castle museums

[option 2]"Objection!" you hear your minister of justic yell across the hallway. "Despite having our outliers, like this situation, the polygraph is a valid way to assess whenever a suspect is lying. For it still accurately measures any indicators of a lie being told. And between us: Assuming it is hogwash, it still would make perpetrators nervous and more likely to confess. If anything, make them the norm during interviews."
[resolution 2] spooking a suspect into confessing is the new main strategy of an investigation

[option 3] [valid if advanced in science] "Oh come on! Next, you are going to use a crystal ball in our investigations" your science advisor lambasts the prosecutor. "What we need is a new modern apparatus, not some wonky old measurement tool. My idea: A universal chip that measures all neural activity of its subject. Just give us the funding and be ready for a safer @@NAME@@."

[option 4]"Bah!" you hear an old @@CAPITAL@@ Police officer utter in disapproval. "If you ask me, these fancy gadgets are making the police too soft. Back in the days, we had a more hands-on approach. Believe me, nothing brings out honesty than some good old beating especially from those that dare to leak our secret SCR."

[Issue]After the guilty verdict of the chief confectioner officer for leaking the location of the strategic chocolate reserve (SCR), the chief milk officer confessed to be the true perpetrator. The CCO claims to suffer from an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction has been based on and declared to be @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure in criminal investigations.

[option 1] "Look, the fact of the matter is that polygraphs are a bad way to investigate a suspect," you hear the CCO repeat for what feels like the thousandth time. "It doesn't account for sweaty and anxious people. I shudder to think how others with a worse condition than mine can cope with this barbaric practice."
[Resolution 1] polygraphs are relegated to the dungeon part of castle museum

[option 2]"Objection!" you hear your Minister of Justice yell across the hallway. "Despite having our outliers, like this situation, the polygraph still measures any indicators whenever a lie is being told. And between us: Assuming it is hogwash, it still would make perpetrators nervous and more likely to confess. If anything, make them the norm during interviews."
[resolution 2] spooking a suspect into confessing is the new main strategy of an investigation

[option 3] [valid if advanced in science] "Oh come on! Next, you're going to use a crystal ball in our investigations" your science advisor criticizes. "What we need is to modernize our ways of interviewing. With our advances in neurology, we can develop a chip that measures the neural activity of its subject. Give us the funding and be ready for a safer @@NAME@@."

[option 4]"Bah!" utters an old @@CAPITAL@@ Police officer in disapproval "If you ask me, these fancy gadgets are making the police too soft. Back in the good ol' days, we had a more hands-on approach and believe me, nothing brings out honesty of a liar than some good old beating."

[Issue]After the guilty verdict of the chief confectioner officer for leaking the location of the strategic chocolate reserve (SCR), the chief milk officer confessed to be the true perpetrator. The CCO claims to suffer from an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction has been based on and declared to be @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure in criminal investigations.

[option 1] "Look, the fact of the matter is that polygraphs are a bad way to investigate a suspect," you hear the CCO repeat for what feels like the thousandth time. "It doesn't account for sweaty and anxious people. I shudder to think how others with a worse condition than mine can cope with this barbaric practice."
[Resolution 1] polygraphs are relegated to the dungeon part of castle museum

[option 2]"Objection!" @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Justice yells across the hallway. "Despite having our outliers, like this situation, the polygraph still measures any indicators whenever a lie is being told. And between us: Assuming it is hogwash, it still would make perpetrators nervous and more likely to confess. If anything, make them the norm during interviews."

[option 3] [valid if advanced in science] "Oh come on! Next, you're going to use a crystal ball in our investigations" your science advisor criticizes. "What we need is to modernize our ways of interviewing. With our advances in neurology, we can develop a chip that measures the neural activity of its subject. Give us the funding and be ready for a safer @@NAME@@."

[option 4]"Bah!" utters an old @@CAPITAL@@ Police officer in disapproval "If you ask me, these fancy gadgets are making the police too soft. Back in the good ol' days, we had a more hands-on approach and believe me, nothing brings out honesty of a liar than some good old beating."
Last edited by Kurnugia on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 am, edited 58 times in total.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm

I think the premise is muddy. A muddy premise muddies pretty much everything else, and makes writing options more diffucult for you, the author. So let’s try and lower the difficulty level.

The meat of the premise comes in the last sentence.

The reliability of the polygraph is under scrutiny.

Can you make the situation that gets us there a bit more believable? Its current presentation lacks verisimilitude, I feel.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:05 am

Effect for option 4, where does it say anything about evidence?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:29 am

Candensia wrote:I think the premise is muddy. A muddy premise muddies pretty much everything else, and makes writing options more diffucult for you, the author. So let’s try and lower the difficulty level.

The meat of the premise comes in the last sentence.

The reliability of the polygraph is under scrutiny.

Can you make the situation that gets us there a bit more believable? Its current presentation lacks verisimilitude, I feel.

I'll just do the internet thing here and say:

This.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 am

I quite liked your original idea involving a guy selling excrement as chocolate pudding failing to be caught ten times over due to these things. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:56 am

Version 2.0 is up

Author of issue 1201

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 pm

I still miss the old chocolate one. I thought that was part of why it was "sweet little lies". :rofl:

Still, quite a nice draft, Kurnugia. I don't have much to say since I didn't think about what I speed-read too hard, but it's pretty nice. :)

(The effect lines, too, are not half bad)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Jutsa wrote:I still miss the old chocolate one. I thought that was part of why it was "sweet little lies". :rofl:

Still, quite a nice draft, Kurnugia. I don't have much to say since I didn't think about what I speed-read too hard, but it's pretty nice. :)

(The effect lines, too, are not half bad)

Yeah... that's why I need a new title :(

But I'll keep it in the backburner.

Author of issue 1201

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 am

The title's good. It's connected to the issue and I won't be able to get that song out of my head before I go to bed tonight!

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Baggieland wrote:The title's good. It's connected to the issue and I won't be able to get that song out of my head before I go to bed tonight!

Heh. You are welcome :p

Author of issue 1201

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:45 pm

I like the heist on the strategic chocolate reserve in the silly version.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:55 pm

I've caught noooooooooooooo!

:o

Author of issue 1201

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:33 am

I like it.

Never knew there was a real maple syrup reserve, but I definitely found the idea of a strategic chocolate reserve funny.

Though I'd probably title case it and acronym it in brackets for humorous pomposity.

Strategic Chocolate Reserve (SCR)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 am

Kurnugia wrote:The intern claims to suffer an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction had been based on. Thus @@HE@@ made it @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure.
Shouldn't that first pronoun also be "@@HIS@@"? You seem to still be talking about the intern from what I can tell.

Kurnugia wrote:[resolution 1] polygraphs have been redelegated in the dungeon part of castle museums
I think that should be "to", there?

Kurnugia wrote:"Despite having are outliers like this situation.
...What?

Kurnugia wrote:"And under us: Even if it were to be hogwash like your intern claims, it still would make perpetrators nervous and more likely to confess to."
That last word should be "too".

Also, "under us" sounds weird. I think you mean "(just) between us"?

Kurnugia wrote:[resolution 2] polygraphs are a popular prank to pull on junior police officers
I don't understand what this effect line is supposed to imply. How would you use them for pranks?

Kurnugia wrote:[option 3] [valid if control chips] "Oh come on! Next, you are going to use a crystal ball in our investigation" lambasts your science advisors the prosecutor
Okay, first, you forgot the period at the end of the sentence.

Next, who is doing the lambasting? In English, when you say "your X the Y", it means "your X, who is also the Y" (which isn't even grammatically correct in this case, since the X is plural and the Y is singular). I'm guessing what you actually meant was either "the prosecutor lambasts your science advisors" or "your science advisors lambast the prosecutor" (the latter makes more sense, since the prosecutor is a character that has actually been mentioned before). And "science advisor" should probably be singular anyway, I only see one person talking.

Kurnugia wrote:"Give us the funding and we will develop a pivoted control chip that can read the neural activities of its subject."
..."Pivoted"? What does that mean in this context?

Kurnugia wrote:[option 4]"Bah!" you hear an old @@CAPITAL@@ Police officer utter in disapproval "if you ask me,
You're missing another period at the end of the first sentence, and a capital letter at the start of the next.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:26 am

So I've changed my draft for a better flavoured and easier to read issue.

Author of issue 1201

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:30 am

So... I'll like to submit this soonish. But before this, I'd like the thank Grim who has been extremely helpful guiding me through the process.

Author of issue 1201

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:25 am

Kurnugia wrote:After the guilty verdict of a government intern for leaking the location of the strategic chocolate reserve (SCR), the true perpetrator confessed. The intern claims to suffer from an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction has been based on and declared to be @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure in criminal investigations.

I find it a bit odd that a lowly intern would be able to outlaw this procedure, or anything else. Keep the intern as the one who was falsely accused of revealing the SCR, but have someone else with a bit more auhority to make it his mission to outlaw the procedure.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:55 am

Baggieland wrote:
Kurnugia wrote:After the guilty verdict of a government intern for leaking the location of the strategic chocolate reserve (SCR), the true perpetrator confessed. The intern claims to suffer from an irrational fear of yes-or-no questions, falsifying any polygraph result on which their conviction has been based on and declared to be @@HIS@@ mission to outlaw this procedure in criminal investigations.

I find it a bit odd that a lowly intern would be able to outlaw this procedure, or anything else. Keep the intern as the one who was falsely accused of revealing the SCR, but have someone else with a bit more auhority to make it his mission to outlaw the procedure.

Hmmm... changed it to the Chief Confectioner Officer. All in the name of pomposity xP

Author of issue 1201

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:36 pm

I agree with Baggieland.

I’d have someone else, someone whos credibility isn’t shot for allegedly leaking government secrets and probably with authority call for changes to the system.

Someone other than the person CCO/Intern, who is probably not taken seriously anymore.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Candensia wrote:I agree with Baggieland.

I’d have someone else, someone whos credibility isn’t shot for allegedly leaking government secrets and probably with authority call for changes to the system.

Someone other than the person CCO/Intern, who is probably not taken seriously anymore.

Eh. CCO stays. If I would go for something like "the general responsible for the SCR" it kinda goes against the silliness imo. Might as well rewrite it to "a recent statistic revealed [...]" which is a whole new thing and not something I am currently interested in.

Author of issue 1201

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?