NATION

PASSWORD

[SCRAPPED] Cryonic Suspense

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[SCRAPPED] Cryonic Suspense

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 pm

This draft was inspired by reading this story: https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/health/uk-teenager-cryonics-body-preservation/index.html

Title: Cryonic Suspense

Validity: Religious Freedom, Decent Scientific Advancement, High Civil Rights

Description: A young boy by the name of @@randommalename@@ has recently been diagnosed with ALS. Doctors tell him and @@his@@ family that he only has a mere 7-9 months to live. Upon hearing this shocking and sudden news @@he@@ requests to have @@his@@ body cryogenically preserved in the hopes that in the future they'll be a cure for @@his@@ disease and unfreeze @@him@@. This story makes national headline news in @@nation@@ and his met with mixed opinions and controversy.

Option 1: "This is blasphemy! A sin and nothing but a SIN!" shouts religious leader @@randomname@@ with an unusual glowing book in @@his/her@@ hand. "Now I understand the boy is young and has barely gotten to live out @@his@@ life, but if the supreme deities above say it's @@his@@ time to go, it's @@his@@ time to go." proceeding while listening to 'My Friendly Neighborhood Demon'. "@@leader@@ you must do away with the practice of cryonics, otherwise @@nation@@ will face the wrath of our lords."
Effect: Some say speaking of the word 'Cryogenics' will be like opening pandora's box

Option 2: "@@leader@@ look at me!" demands @@randommalename@@, the boy all of @@nation@@ is talking about. "I'm 15 years old, I haven't even graduated from high school yet and here I am being told my life will be cut short in just a couple of months by this darn disease. If I must die I want to be revived years from now to live out my life the proper way." @@He@@ says while holding @@his@@ baby sister. "Please let cryonics remain legal and while y'all at it, why don't you get started on the cure, I don't wish to remain frozen forever you know."
Effect: Many people with lethal diseases revert to placing themselves in bathtubs full of ice

I'll write more options if the premise of this is still good, I had this lingering in my drafts for quite some time so it may have already been talked about on another issue
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 am

We already have an issue about cryonic preservation, #819, although it's set a little later in the story. Also see #626, about a different angle on immortality.

I don't think someone asking to be cryogenically preserved is that big of a deal in itself, though the fact that this person is a teenager makes me wonder who's paying for that? Cryogenics requires active maintainance and so gets really, really expensive.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:10 am

I don't think the existing issues that Trott pointed out make it impossible to write a new issue on this topic, but it does set the bar for quality a little higher, and this draft is not there writing-wise. The desc reads like something you'd post in the Writers' Block to ask if the idea is viable, not like a desc that belongs in the actual issue.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 am

USS Monitor wrote:I don't think the existing issues that Trott pointed out make it impossible to write a new issue on this topic, but it does set the bar for quality a little higher, and this draft is not there writing-wise.
Sure, but the dilemma needs to be something more involved than "should we allow this or not?".

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Are there any religions which are actively against Chryogenics?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Trotterdam wrote:We already have an issue about cryonic preservation, #819, although it's set a little later in the story. Also see #626, about a different angle on immortality.

I don't think someone asking to be cryogenically preserved is that big of a deal in itself, though the fact that this person is a teenager makes me wonder who's paying for that? Cryogenics requires active maintainance and so gets really, really expensive.

I'll certainly read those issues and see if I can redo this one so it won't bear any resemblance to those other two.

USS Monitor wrote:The desc reads like something you'd post in the Writers' Block to ask if the idea is viable, not like a desc that belongs in the actual issue.
Really!? I'll certainly bear that in mind next time. Though can't say I'm suprised, it has been awhile since I drafted my last issue.

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any religions which are actively against Chryogenics?
https://alcor.org/Library/html/religionandcryonics.html

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:We already have an issue about cryonic preservation, #819, although it's set a little later in the story. Also see #626, about a different angle on immortality.

Ok, so I read both the issues. I can definitely see this issue overlapping a bit with issue #819 so I got that down. Issue #626 is intriguing in a alternate approach to immortality. If I completely scrap this draft and take a different approach on the topic of immortality, how does the concept off anti-aging pills sound? Or shall I continue this draft, just change it around to prevent overlap?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Socio Polor wrote:

Ok, so I read both the issues. I can definitely see this issue overlapping a bit with issue #819 so I got that down. Issue #626 is intriguing in a alternate approach to immortality. If I completely scrap this draft and take a different approach on the topic of immortality, how does the concept off anti-aging pills sound? Or shall I continue this draft, just change it around to prevent overlap?

Anti-aging pills are probably a more realistic route to immortality, but it's up to you what you think is interesting.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:06 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Ok, so I read both the issues. I can definitely see this issue overlapping a bit with issue #819 so I got that down. Issue #626 is intriguing in a alternate approach to immortality. If I completely scrap this draft and take a different approach on the topic of immortality, how does the concept off anti-aging pills sound? Or shall I continue this draft, just change it around to prevent overlap?

Anti-aging pills are probably a more realistic route to immortality, but it's up to you what you think is interesting.

eh, I think I'll scrap this and go for the anti-aging approach. I may come back to the cryonics topic at a later date

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:33 am

I doubt mere pills would be able to change such an ingrained part of our biology. It would probably require embryo-stage genetic engineering to prevent aging.

Of course, we haven't gotten any method to work yet, so what do I know?

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I doubt mere pills would be able to change such an ingrained part of our biology. It would probably require embryo-stage genetic engineering to prevent aging.

Of course, we haven't gotten any method to work yet, so what do I know?

The causes of aging aren't precisely well known to my knowledge. However, many scientists and researchers in those fields agree that it likely has to do primarily with the slow degeneration of our cells overtime. They concluded this based of off studying other creatures who have much longer life spans than us humans or are completely "immortal".

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:06 pm

There's a big difference between knowing what's causing something and knowing how to fix it.

If you came to me complaining about pain in your arm and I noticed that someone stabbed a knife into it, I could make a pretty good guess about what the problem is, but I'd still tell you to go see a proper doctor.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Trotterdam wrote:There's a big difference between knowing what's causing something and knowing how to fix it.

If you came to me complaining about pain in your arm and I noticed that someone stabbed a knife into it, I could make a pretty good guess about what the problem is, but I'd still tell you to go see a proper doctor.

Like I said that's only to my knowledge. research is currently being carried out and they may have discovered something I don't know about as there are a ton of documentaries and articles online discussing the whole anti-aging/reverse aging topic. If I find a good one in particular I'll post it here or maybe even the writer's block if I do go about writing the issue, which I probably will shortly

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 pm

If we actually found a working way to stop aging, rather than just vague leads that we think might be in the general ballpark of a good place to start to maybe begin research, it wouldn't be relegated to obscure academic papers. It'd be worldwide front-page news, special edition.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Trotterdam wrote:If we actually found a working way to stop aging, rather than just vague leads that we think might be in the general ballpark of a good place to start to maybe begin research, it wouldn't be relegated to obscure academic papers. It'd be worldwide front-page news, special edition.

Research has already begun
Edit: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-09- ... xpert.html
https://leapsmag.com/the-top-8-things-t ... right-now/ A few others
Last edited by Socio Polor on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?