NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Taken for Granted

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Taken for Granted

Postby Altmer Dominion » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 pm

A second chemistry-inspired draft. This has happened, only usually the other way around with public professors piling on private quacks.

[name] Taken for Granted

[validity] moderate scientific advancement

[description] After a generous grant from the National @@DEMONYM@@ Cancer Fund, @@CAPITAL@@ University Professor @@RANDOMNAME@@ has finally published experimental results detailing the synthesis of a new treatment drug. Not long after this announcement, a duo of scientists employed by the private Triton Research Labs released a counterstatement, detailing a theoretical proof about how the structure of the supposed isomer was a physical impossibility -- in essence, accusing the Professor of fraud.

[option] "The National @@DEMONYM@@ Cancer Fund is primarily supported through taxpayer money," groans @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of your Science advisors. "Frankly, financing unethical individuals is just bad optics. We need to revoke that grant immediately, revise our selection criteria for future purposes, and do a thorough investigation of the experimental procedures of our current awardees. I want this to be a one-time event at best."
[effect] monetary grants can be revoked over a single typo in a research paper

[option] "The fix is in!" protests the embattled Professor, waving a research journal in your face. "Before they left for the private sector, the Triton duo were once my collegues at the university! The only reason they're making a stink is because I beat them to the breakthrough! See, this is the problem with private laboratories: they're always in it for themselves. After closing these selfish enterprises down, you should increase my grant so I can finance the mass-production of these molecules -- and those scheming bums will only be able to watch from the curb."
[effect] sugar water is the active ingredient in the newest cancer drug to hit the market

[option] "Why is the government paying for this debacle in the first place?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, dean of @@CAPITOL@@'s most prestigous private school. "Scientists are clearly using my tax money to finance their petty feuds. Besides, they've shown not to be truthful about their research anyways. I think they've gotten complacent on the government teat. Scrap the National @@DEMONYM@@ Cancer Fund, among other government grants, and make these pointy-head losers actually work for a seat at the table."
[effect] Nobel Prize-winning scientists are seen panhandling on street corners
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 pm

How do we know it was malicious conduct, rather than an accident?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

:blink:
Is getting an independent lab to try replicating the professor's results too obvious a solution for inclusion?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Return to Got Issues?