NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Heavy Baggage

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[DISCARDED] Heavy Baggage

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 am

OK, I know in a normal society, you use all of these bags,
but I still thought this would be lighthearted enough to riff off of personal preferences. :lol:

Also, finally getting a followup to banning plastic bags worked on. :P

ed: Oh yeah and I couldn't think of any effect lines... :blush:

Title: Heavy Baggage
The Issue: Despite banning plastic bags, there are still several environmental consequences to their alternatives, and your Planning Minister has arranged for you to discuss what may be the best material to promote.
Validity: Followup to #261.1

Option 1: "Cloth bags are the way to go," suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, resting a pile of cloth bags onto your desk. "They're highly reusable, yet biodegradable, and they're efficient at carrying things around. If something breaks, just get it stitched. Clearly this is the way to go, unlike those sully paper bags that kill trees, suck on water, and tear instantly."

Option 2: "He-he-hey! I'll have you know that paper bags are much better than cloth," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, laying several paper bags onto the cloth ones. "You can reuse 'em for lunches, tools, and, if you're careful, even at the store again! The best part is you can easily get more if you lose 'em, without worrying about the massive cotton plantations and energy costs of cloth bags."

Option 3: "Pfft, if it's energy and farmland you're worrying about, then look no further," tisks @@RANDOMNAME@@, laying down polypropylene bags beside the others. "These reusable plastic bags have all the benefits of cloth bags with none of the downsides. Are they plastic? Sure. But you save on energy, water, the carbon footprint; everything. As long as people reuse them as much as possible, of course."

Option 4: "What we really should do is invest in baskets!" announces basket-weaver @@RANDOMNAME@@, proudly setting a large, fashionable basket full of various fruits onto the heaping bag pile. "They may take a ton of resources to make, but they're durable, they're large, they're hard to miss, and they have the most heart put into them! Subsidize the basket weaving industry, and I'll make millions — of baskets, I mean."

Option 5: "What's wrong with those old plastic bags?" argues your janitor as @@HE@@ takes the bags and basket off your desk. "Let the cat out of the bag. None of the alternatives are any better than the old plastic bags that were left holding the bag... you get what I mean. Lift this silly ban and let us go back to the way things were!"

Option 6: "There's only one thing we can do," suggests your Minister of Environmental Protection, sitting idly in the dark corner of your office. "Ban all bags. Most people still have arms, you know."
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am

My city recently enacted a plastic bag ban, and one of the things people have been using is cardboard boxes. You already have a lot of options, though. In fact, I am not sure this topic is interesting enough to justify reading that whole list.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 am

Right, and in the UK we either use canvas bags or actually-still-plastic-silly "bags for life".

I don't think that what to use instead of plastic bags is a government decision. Rather it's something that individual customers will decide on, and which different companies will offer products for.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 pm

awh, alright.

At least I don't have to wrack my head around effect lines, I guess. :roll:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Return to Got Issues?