NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] It's A Puzzle

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

[SUBMITTED] It's A Puzzle

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:38 am

This uses an idea that I suggested in the Writers’ Block thread last year but that nobody else has taken up yet.

Foreign demand has outstripped supply of a new educational puzzle toy invented by a Mathematics professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and manufactured in cheap plastic by the Ministry of Instructive Children's Entertainment Devices.

Submitted version = 2.2, which is as 21.1 but with a few minor changes.

(Version 2.1)

It's A Puzzle

[issue]At a cabinet meeting, your Minister for External Trade, @@RANDOMNAME@@, announces a pleasant surprise. Foreign demand for a new @@NAME@@-made educational puzzle toy, which was invented by a Mathematics professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and manufactured in cheap plastic by the Ministry of Instructive Children's Entertainment Stuff, is already exceeding forecasts by a considerable factor.
[validity]Communist; not Autarky; probably not a tax rate of 100% (because otherwise giving the inventor a financial reward wouldn't work...)

[option]”This is bringing in significantly more foreign exchange than we had hoped,” the Minister comments. “Maybe we should reward Professor @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ with a small share of the money, not just because it’s the right thing to do but because that would encourage other @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to come forwards with inventions that could help us as well?”
[validity]unrestricted
[effect]swarms of hopeful inventors crowd the industrial ministries’ hallways

[option]“You have been corrupted by your dealings with capitalists!” replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Finance. “If the simple fact that he has helped the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ people in this way would not be sufficient reward for the professor, then he should be content enough if we give him a medal — say ‘Hero of the @@TYPE@@, Fourth Class’ — for it… and we need all of that money for to pay for essential imports, anyway.”
[validity]unrestricted
[effect]earning @@NAME@@ gold is rewarded with tin

[option] “Bah!” the Minister for Heavy Engineering Industry @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Fancy toys like that are merely decadent frivolities. The people’s factories should concentrate on making things that actually matter, such as tractors to help feed the people or guns and tanks to help defend us.”
[validity]unrestricted
[effect]@@NAME@@ industry’s motto is Guns Before Toys

Changes from version 2.0: Second option modified; speaker in the third option re-titled.

(Version 2.o)

It's A Puzzle

[issue]At a cabinet meeting, your Minister for External Trade, @@RANDOMNAME@@, announces a pleasant surprise. Foreign demand for a new @@NAME@@-made educational puzzle puzzle, which was invented by a Mathematics professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and manufactured in cheap plastic by the Ministry of Instructive Children's Entertainment Stuff, is already exceeding forecasts by a considerable factor.
[validity]Communist; not Autarky; probably not a tax rate of 100% (because otherwise giving the inventor a financial reward wouldn't work...)

[option]”This is bringing in significantly more foreign exchange than we had hoped,” the Minister comments. “Maybe we should reward Professor @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ with a small share of the money, not just because it’s the right thing to do but because that would encourage other @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to come forwards with inventions that could help us as well?”
[validity]unrestricted

[option]“We need all of that money to pay for essential imports,” replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Finance. “If the simple fact that he has helped the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ people in this way would not be sufficient reward for the professor, then he should be content enough if we give him a medal — say ‘Hero of the @@TYPE@@, Fourth Class’ — too.”
[validity]unrestricted

[option] “Bah!” the Minsiter for Ideological Purity, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Fancy toys like that are merely decadent frivolities. The people’s factories should concentrate on making things that actually matter, such as tractors to help feed the people or guns and tanks to help defend us.”
[validity]unrestricted

Changes from first draft: Description & inventor's name changed so that it doesn't reference the RL situation about Rubik's Cube so obviously; validity slightly narrowed; third option drops reference to this toy as a 'Kube'.

It's A Puzzle

[issue]At a cabinet meeting, your Minister for External Trade, @@RANDOMNAME@@, announces a pleasant surprise. Foreign buyers have ordered large quantities of a new puzzle, called ‘Kubir’s Kube’, which was invented by a Mathematics professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and manufactured in cheap plastic by the Ministry of Instructive Toys.
[validity]Communist; not Autarky

[option]”This is bringing in significantly more foreign exchange than we had hoped,” the Minister comments. “Maybe we should reward Professor Kubir with a small share of the money, not just because it’s the right thing to do but because that would encourage other @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to come forwards with inventions that could help us as well?”
[validity]unrestricted

[option]“We need all of that money to pay for essential imports,” replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Finance. “If the simple fact that he has helped the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ people in this way would not be sufficient reward for the professor, then he should be content enough if we give him a medal — say ‘Hero of the @@TYPE@@, Fourth Class’ — too.”
[validity]unrestricted

[option] “Bah!” the Minsiter for Ideological Purity, @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Toys like that ‘Kube’ are merely decadent frivolities. The people’s factories should concentrate on making things that actually matter, such as tractors to help feed the people or guns and tanks to help defend us.”
[validity]unrestricted

Presumably the RL inspiration is obvious? I think that the Hungarian government took option 1.

I also considered including an option that would have university professors assigned a quota of new inventions each to produce per year, on pain of punishment, but thought that that might be a bit too excessive…

EDIT: Please note that in my opinion the third option’s mention of “guns and tanks” shouldn’t require the validity ‘Nation must have a military’: Instead, if the nation currently doesn’t have a military then making this choice should give it one.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:58 am, edited 12 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 am

How exactly does a rubix cube "help" people?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:52 pm

One puzzle after another! Seems like a sign or a hivemind, if you ask me. ;)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 am

I think it'd unusual to assume that in the NS world Rubik's Cubes don't already exist. Even if they might have an NSified name, you'd still expect them to have been around since the 1970s.

That in mind, you should probably lampshade that, by having at least one option speaker point out that this toy is pretty much the same thing as a Rubik's Cube.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How exactly does a rubix cube "help" people?

Government-controlled industry making it as an export item, which proves surprisingly popular abroad => government gains more foreign currency => government can spend more on things that help people (or 'The People', anyway...).

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think it'd unusual to assume that in the NS world Rubik's Cubes don't already exist. Even if they might have an NSified name, you'd still expect them to have been around since the 1970s.
That in mind, you should probably lampshade that, by having at least one option speaker point out that this toy is pretty much the same thing as a Rubik's Cube.

(Even leaving aside the fact that some NS nations haven't yet reached the 1970s IC...)
We should assume that something as relatively trivial as the Rubik's Cube must have been invented as early in NS as in RL? Well, if you insist, but how could people in @@NAME@@ refer to it by name, and maybe compare their situation to RL Hungary's', when they're actually located in a different Reality -- and thus, presumably, wouldn't heard of either Rubik or Hungary -- in the first place? It seems to me that it would have to be an 'NSified' name by which they referred to the earlier invention itself, and [obviously] a non-RL nation in which that earlier invention had been created, and then the reference might become too obscured for some players (especially ones who weren't yet born during the Cube's original period of popularity) to get... making the comparison effectively just 'fluff'...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am

Some nations IC have populations composed of bears, that doesn't make it a reasonable assumption for issue writing.

Anyway, technology wise, you should assume that modern day technology exists, plus a handful of "five minutes in the future" techs. This means that if a toy was invented in the 1970s in RL, then it should be assumed to be invented in the 1970s in NS.

As to how you write that without mentioning Hungary or Rubik by name but still acknowledging that it's not a new invention, well, that writing challenge is up to you!
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Some nations IC have populations composed of bears, that doesn't make it a reasonable assumption for issue writing.

Anyway, technology wise, you should assume that modern day technology exists, plus a handful of "five minutes in the future" techs. This means that if a toy was invented in the 1970s in RL, then it should be assumed to be invented in the 1970s in NS.
Okay, so every RL technology already exists in NS as well, fair enough… but surely Rubik’s Cube wasn’t a new “technology” in itself, just a new-at-the-time way of applying pre-existing technologies? To me, insisting that Rubik’s Cube (and, by extension, every other RL puzzle or toy or game) must have been invented (not “might”, outright “must”…) in NS as well seems like insisting that every RL marque of car must have an NS counterpart*, or every RL type of chocolate bar, or every book and film…
Could I possibly have a second opinion on the necessity for this?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:As to how you write that without mentioning Hungary or Rubik by name but still acknowledging that it's not a new invention, well, that writing challenge is up to you!
Meh. This isn't an idea in which I'm deeply interested, just one that I thought could be done relatively quickly to help redress the editor-mentioned shortage of issues specifically for communist nations. If continuing with this draft means that I have to have at least one of the speakers compare the new puzzle to an NS-ified version of Rubik’s Cube then, obviously, I’ll need to find new names for this new puzzle & its inventor because the old ones would be more appropriate for its predecessor… and not only would (I think) at least one speaker have to refer to the actions that the relevant government took back in the’ 70s (and would need me to come up with an NS-ified, but recognisable, name for [1970s] Hungary if none of the existing NPC nations is a good fit…) but the speakers would have to explain enough about that country’s politics at the time & history since then for these references to mean anything to the younger players… which would probably take more of my [soon, alas, to be much more limited] time than I feel like putting into this draft. If that is the ruling then I'll drop this, and anybody else who's interested can take it over...

(* So now part of my mind is thinking of NS-ified names for cars… and starting to draft an issue about what type of car @@LEADER@@ should acquire for ‘personal’ — as distinct from ‘state’ purposes… which is currently on six options…)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:Could I possibly have a second opinion on the necessity for this?

You're best of telegramming another editor for that. I'll leave you to it.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 am

Honestly, I'd be tempted to remove all mention of the Rubric cube and simply state something like this:

[issue]At a cabinet meeting, your Minister for External Trade, @@RANDOMNAME@@, announces a pleasant surprise. Foreign demand has outstripped supply of a new educational puzzle toy invented by a Mathematics professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and manufactured in cheap plastic by the Ministry of Instructive Children's Entertainment Devices.

Those in the know will get the reference and what it's alluding to. If not, it's still an interesting dilemma.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 am

Yeah, that's definitely work better.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am

Caracasus wrote:Honestly, I'd be tempted to remove all mention of the Rubric cube and simply state something like this:

[issue]At a cabinet meeting, your Minister for External Trade, @@RANDOMNAME@@, announces a pleasant surprise. Foreign demand has outstripped supply of a new educational puzzle toy invented by a Mathematics professor at @@CAPITAL@@ University and manufactured in cheap plastic by the Ministry of Instructive Children's Entertainment Devices.

Those in the know will get the reference and what it's alluding to. If not, it's still an interesting dilemma.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Yeah, that's definitely work better.

Okay, I'll do that.

EDIT: Done, draft 2.0 posted.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 am

Draft 2.1 posted.

Do you think that I should add a fourth option, whose speaker responds to this situation arising from international trade by urging autarky instead?

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 am

Bears Armed wrote:Draft 2.1 posted.

Do you think that I should add a fourth option, whose speaker responds to this situation arising from international trade by urging autarky instead?

Personally I don't think it's needed. I'd also think it would be rather difficult to go from "we're making lots of these and it's actually pretty good for our economy" to "right, no more trade with the outside world!" in a way that would make sense.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 am

Caracasus wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Draft 2.1 posted.

Personally I don't think it's needed. I'd also think it would be rather difficult to go from "we're making lots of these and it's actually pretty good for our economy" to "right, no more trade with the outside world!" in a way that would make sense.

I was thinking in terms of the speaker complaining about the "corrupting" effects of trading with capitalists, and wanting to keep the nation's resources within the nation, but it's only an option that I thought some people night want rather than one that I absolutely want to add.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Bears Armed wrote:I was thinking in terms of the speaker complaining about the "corrupting" effects of trading with capitalists, and wanting to keep the nation's resources within the nation,
Toys aren't exactly essential resources.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:I was thinking in terms of the speaker complaining about the "corrupting" effects of trading with capitalists, and wanting to keep the nation's resources within the nation,
Toys aren't exactly essential resources.

But the oil (or whatever) from which the plastic used to build them is produced might be...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

Bears Armed wrote:H'mm, now, would 'What A Puzzle!' be a better title than "It's A Puzzle' ?

After thinking further about this, and receiving no feedback on the point from anybody else, I'll stay with 'It's A Puzzle' instead of making that change.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 am

Autarky in the real world is usually either practically enforced on a nation via sanctions or - whatever the rhetoric it is dressed up in - is a result of a desire to break with reliance on foreign aid or trade deals that the government feels give foreign powers far too much say in the country. With that in mind, I am very unconvinced of the need for an autarky option here.

Edit: Doubly so as the game incorrectly (for the sake of convenience) treats autarky as no international trade.

It is a fun issue as it stands, anyway!
Last edited by Caracasus on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 am

Caracasus wrote:It is a fun issue as it stands, anyway!

Thank you.
So, ready for submission?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:13 am

Bump, for further feedback.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:46 am

In the absence of new comments for a while, despite bumping, this is now on 'Last Call'. Current plan is to submit it in a week's time.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:58 am

Minor suggestions for this little bit of the description text:

Foreign demand for a new @@NAME@@-made educational puzzle puzzle, which was...

The word"puzzle" is repeated.

I think @@DEMONYM@@-made might work better than @@NAME@@-made. We would say "American-made" or "French-made" without issue, but the form "United States-made" or "France-made" would be unusual.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Minor suggestions for this little bit of the description text:

Foreign demand for a new @@NAME@@-made educational puzzle puzzle, which was...

The word"puzzle" is repeated.
Oops! Should have been (following editorial suggestion) "education la puzzle toy". I'll fix that now.

Verdant Haven wrote:I think @@DEMONYM@@-made might work better than @@NAME@@-made. We would say "American-made" or "French-made" without issue, but the form "United States-made" or "France-made" would be unusual.
I'm thinking about this.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 am

Verdant Haven wrote:I think @@DEMONYM@@-made might work better than @@NAME@@-made. We would say "American-made" or "French-made" without issue, but the form "United States-made" or "France-made" would be unusual.

I'm still undecided about this. Either way around, there are probably going to be nations for which the other way would work better instead... and in RL goods do, I think, more usually get labelled "Made in @@NAME" rather than "Made by @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@".
I'll probably leave the draft as it is, and leave it to the editors to decide whether this detail needs changing (which they could do even if I did change it myself, anyway, of course...).

In the absence of any further comments that lead me to make changes, I'll probably submit this on Sunday afternoon (GMT).

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 am

Fixed the quotation marks.

In the third option's effect line, replaced @@NAME@@ with @@DEMONYM@@ (Oops! That really should have been @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@! Hopefully the editors, if they do accept this issue, will catch that detail...)

Submitted.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?