NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Home Off the Border

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Home Off the Border

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 am

Just finished cooking this one. I hope you like fresh-baked. :)

... Or, is it half-baked? Frankly the title and effect lines could use a tiny bit more heat.

Title: Home Off the Border
The Issue: News Flash! The long-missing @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ Marner and his family were finally found — in a Brancalandian movie making a mockery of @@NAME@@ and its policies against emigration!
Validity: No Emigration

Option 1: Your Minister of Border Security and Defenses appears in distress, kicking dust bunnies with @@HIS@@ combat boots. "For how long now have we been searching for this @@FIRSTNAME_1@@, our people crying for him to be found? He has betrayed our trust, as has Brancaland! We need to do whatever it takes to kidnap him and his family, and give them all hellfire for betraying our great nation! We'll have to be stealthy, but even if we get caught, the Brancish government will know they're the bad guys, here."
[effect] the tanks storming other countries to return defectors have left the border far easier to cross

Option 2: "It's too risky. Brancaland's maple syrup is too valuable to let this one family cloud our judgement. Or was it one family?" inquires Detective Phillip Spade, proceeding to point at the minister accusingly. "Think of all the @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ who have left our borders and stayed in the dark! It's your job to keep the people in, yet you're not doing it. We need tighter border security, tighter suits, and a tighter watch on who's in charge of our security. Arrest this @@MAN@@!"
[effect] the manpower to watch over the border has been mostly fired for not watching the border enough

Validity: Immigration
Option 3a: While the defensive minister and the defective detective duke it out in your office, your Minister of Foreign Affairs takes you outside. "Look, @@LEADER@@, I'm not one to doubt your policies, but would it kill us to let people out of the nation? We already let people immigrate, and our living room is getting crowded as-is. So we may lose a few @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@; those who want to leave aren't worth keeping anyway."
[effect] anti-@@NAME@@ sentiment on foreign talk shows has skyrocketed

Validity: No Immigration
Option 3b: While the defensive minister and the defective detective duke it out in your office, your Minister of Foreign Affairs takes you outside. "Look, @@LEADER@@, I'm not one to doubt your policies, but would it kill us to let people out of the nation? We could even open up our borders to let in some immigrants — some, mind you. Would they be as good as @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@? No, but at least they'd want to live here; those who don't aren't worth keeping anyway."
[effect] anti-@@NAME@@ sentiment on foreign talk shows has skyrocketed
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am

Just wanted to comment really quick and say I love this draft. Excellent job Jutsa!

The only thing to comment on is all of the effect lines are too on the nose. I'm busy right now, but tonight I'll try and see if I can think of some. :)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 am

Bump~

So uh, about those effect lines, Sacara..? :lol:

(I'll try to come back to the effect lines later. Any other thoughts?)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Or just go full North Korea, and kidnap, and throw their entire family in prison
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:51 am

That's the idea behind option 1. :P

Any other suggestions?

Vizzytopia
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Vizzytopia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:58 pm

"Their maple syrup is too valuable to let this one family cloud our judgement. Or was it one family?"
Is this talking about Brancaland?

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:12 pm

This is a good issue Justa. But one thing I would like to say is that for the 3rd option, for players that choose that; I can imagine there being a future issue where too many people are leaving @@name@@. This is of course assuming no issue such as that exists.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:37 am

Vizzytopia wrote:"Their maple syrup is too valuable to let this one family cloud our judgement. Or was it one family?"
Is this talking about Brancaland?
It's somewhat implied, but honestly, I do like the idea of the guy making valuable maple syrup as well, despite it killing the argument.
I'll change it, though I'll let any potential future editor know that that was a thing.
Socio Polor wrote:This is a good issue Justa. But one thing I would like to say is that for the 3rd option, for players that choose that; I can imagine there being a future issue where too many people are leaving @@name@@. This is of course assuming no issue such as that exists.
Eh, that's a nice idea, but we've a broader issue involving population loss that blames emigration. In fact a lot of emigration bans go something along those lines, as-is.
Glad you like the draft, though. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Final bump I guess. Seeing as this one hasn't been obliterated yet, I'm hoping it's a fairly safe one. :P

ed: I have to say that the opening to option 3(a/b) is probably one of my favorite things I've made.
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 am

Submitted~

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?