NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] More plastic than a child’s toy?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ballpit
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] More plastic than a child’s toy?

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Title:
More plastic than a child’s toy?

Description:
@@LEADER@@‘s cousin, @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, recently underwent a plastic surgery operation that turned out to be disastrous. Luckily for her, she was one of the survivors in a recent string of plastic surgery related deaths across the nation.

Validity:
Valid for all nations except those with the “Body Integrity Policy.”

[Option] World renowned medical board chairman @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ speaks his piece, declaring in a ferocious manner that “this shouldn’t have even happened in the first place. To prevent deaths in the future, it may be wise to have strict policies in place to safeguard against any threat to the patient that may be presented. These procedures aren’t even needed by the patient for their survival. Why are there so many risks involved? Risk elimination through policy enforcement is sure to put an end to those deaths.”

Effect: surgeons lose their medical licence for the slightest mistake

[Option] “That’s preposterous!” Shouts @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a tired surgeon who got stuck with his children for the day. “Tight regulations are the reason why the practise of plastic surgery is failing. So many people have been unable to afford these operations or have been barred from them due to a failure to meet the requirements set out by the policies. If there weren’t so many policies, more people could have access to these procedures. The answer isn’t more regulations and policies, it’s LESS!”

Effect: surgery-related infections are a rite of passage in @@NAME@@

[Option] “Ban these procedures!” Advocates @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, a humanitarian. “People only get plastic surgery for one reason: to fit in and look better. If you got rid of these daft operations, people would stop feeling so inadequate about themselves. Besides, there are way too many health code violations to allow such practises to continue.”

[Effect] plastic surgeons operate out of their creepy basements

[Option] “Whoa, hold on there!” Interjects @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, a pediatric nurse from the hospital across the street. “Everyone should have to get plastic surgery. Make it compulsory from a certain age, like 10. Everyone is so ugly anyway. Imagine how much better we’d all look. But if these surgeries are mandatory, I think the government should pay for them.”

[Effect] the government literally pays citizens to look good

This is the first issue I’ve ever written, so please go easy on me. All feedback appreciated!

Changes made:
Redundancy in the title.
“Medical operations” changed to “medical procedures”
Excess removed from option one.
Redundancy fixed/removed from option 2
Option 3 bumped down to option 4, replaced with a new option.

changes 2:
“Following new legislation” and punctuation removed from effect lines
Reasoning for argument added to option 3, which was bumped down to option 4 in an earlier edit.
@@LEADER@@‘s brother removed from option 1
Gender in option 4 changed per indirect request
Validity changed from “all nations” to “all except for body integrity policy”

changes 3:
Description edited and changed to be more fitting of a national incident.
Option 1 edited to correlate more with new description.
Title changed from “plastic people are rea too!” To “more plastic than a child’s toy?”
Option 2 scrapped
Description changed to be more personal for @@LEADER@@

changes 4:
Options one and two swapped places.
Edits made to option three.

changes 5:
Description edited
Option two added, options 3 and 4 bumbled down to their current places.
Description edited
Option one edited

changes 6:
Effect of option two changed
Option 3 changed
Effect of option 3 scrapped and rewritten
Option 4 script edited
Option 2 script edited

changes 7:
Option 3 polished
Option 4 edited
Option 4 effect changed
Last edited by Ballpit on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Field Commander of Antifa
Citizen of the New Pacific Order

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Ballpit wrote:Validity:
Valid for all nations.
This probably shouldn't be valid for nations with the Body Integrity policy, since it starts with a plastic surgery, and it seems like that policy would forbid such things.

Ballpit wrote:@@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your humanitarian brother
It'd probably be best not to name @@LEADER@@'s brother. Maybe don't use their brother at all.

Ballpit wrote:[Effect] following new legislation in @@NAME@@, people who “look too good” are often seized by police for questioning.
I don't think you really need the quotes here. Maybe
good-looking citizens are frequently questioned by police
?

Ballpit wrote:[Option] “Whoa, hold on there!” Interjects @@RANDOMMALE@@, a pediatric nurse from the hospital across the street. “Everyone should have to get plastic surgery. Make it compulsory from a certain age, like 10.”
But why? There's no argument here. He should provide some reasoning, even if it is insane. Also, why does this person need to be male?

FYI, effect lines shouldn't include the "following new legislation in @@NAME@@" bit, nor should they end with punctuation.

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Far Tholk wrote:
Ballpit wrote:Validity:
Valid for all nations.
This probably shouldn't be valid for nations with the Body Integrity policy, since it starts with a plastic surgery, and it seems like that policy would forbid such things.

Ballpit wrote:@@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, your humanitarian brother
It'd probably be best not to name @@LEADER@@'s brother. Maybe don't use their brother at all.

Ballpit wrote:[Effect] following new legislation in @@NAME@@, people who “look too good” are often seized by police for questioning.
I don't think you really need the quotes here. Maybe
good-looking citizens are frequently questioned by police
?

Ballpit wrote:[Option] “Whoa, hold on there!” Interjects @@RANDOMMALE@@, a pediatric nurse from the hospital across the street. “Everyone should have to get plastic surgery. Make it compulsory from a certain age, like 10.”
But why? There's no argument here. He should provide some reasoning, even if it is insane. Also, why does this person need to be male?

FYI, effect lines shouldn't include the "following new legislation in @@NAME@@" bit, nor should they end with punctuation.

Thanks for the input! Changes have been made, and a new option was added since your post.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 am

Description:
After news stations released a story about a plastic surgery operation gone wrong, a meeting has been called in your office to determine the legality of such medical procedures.

This narrative is too thin. Plastic surgery is always going wrong, and would have to go wrong in a spectacular or especially notable way for news outlets to take notice. Also, the news stations and the called meeting are just fluff. What your issue actually says is:

Description:
A plastic surgery operation went wrong.

That's nowhere near a national issue. Rethink the premise, and try to make it more something government would need to be involved in. Ideally, a dilemma should be strong enough that it's clear that it'd end up being discussed by government, with no need to say that the media are interested or that a meeting has been called. Just describe the scenario that triggers a need for action, and don't feel that you have to point out that there's a need for action.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sougra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 am

I might look back at this later and give some criticism, but I do think the issue description should be something more notable. There have been various articles and news stories about how "Brazilian buttlifts" or other plastic surgery procedures have caused death, many cases where plastic surgery has gone wrong and caused disfigurement or just plain unsightliness (although from what I've heard, within the U.S. things have gotten better for the latter). You can maybe say that it's a rather large number of people who've died, or say that they have a high death toll within the nation. Or do a story similar to Donda West (Kanye West's mother) where a famous celebrity died due to problems with plastic surgery (in her case liposuction due to other health problems) and the like. You can even just say that a family member of Leader's got plastic surgery and has become a laughing stock due to how bad they look.

Also, I think you should address that plastic surgery could help in cases of accidents and other horrible tragedies, where people need to have their bodies look better, like reconstructing a face. Although I may be confusing plastic surgery for a different procedure. I hope this helps!
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Description:
After news stations released a story about a plastic surgery operation gone wrong, a meeting has been called in your office to determine the legality of such medical procedures.

This narrative is too thin. Plastic surgery is always going wrong, and would have to go wrong in a spectacular or especially notable way for news outlets to take notice. Also, the news stations and the called meeting are just fluff. What your issue actually says is:

Description:
A plastic surgery operation went wrong.

That's nowhere near a national issue. Rethink the premise, and try to make it more something government would need to be involved in. Ideally, a dilemma should be strong enough that it's clear that it'd end up being discussed by government, with no need to say that the media are interested or that a meeting has been called. Just describe the scenario that triggers a need for action, and don't feel that you have to point out that there's a need for action.

Thanks for the input! Edits applied, and description changed! o7

Sougra wrote:I might look back at this later and give some criticism, but I do think the issue description should be something more notable. There have been various articles and news stories about how "Brazilian buttlifts" or other plastic surgery procedures have caused death, many cases where plastic surgery has gone wrong and caused disfigurement or just plain unsightliness (although from what I've heard, within the U.S. things have gotten better for the latter). You can maybe say that it's a rather large number of people who've died, or say that they have a high death toll within the nation. Or do a story similar to Donda West (Kanye West's mother) where a famous celebrity died due to problems with plastic surgery (in her case liposuction due to other health problems) and the like. You can even just say that a family member of Leader's got plastic surgery and has become a laughing stock due to how bad they look.

Also, I think you should address that plastic surgery could help in cases of accidents and other horrible tragedies, where people need to have their bodies look better, like reconstructing a face. Although I may be confusing plastic surgery for a different procedure. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! I’ve changed the description and edited option one to correlate with it.

As for the operation you referenced, I think you may be talking about skin grafts, from the description of it.

Cheers!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:27 am

Description:
Large amounts of chemicals and plastic waste has been found in @@NAME@@‘s lakes and rivers. Investigations have traced the source to plastic surgery clinics, in which the medical procedures there involve said plastics and chemicals.

Gods no, sorry, but that's terrible.

I think the first thing to be aware of is that plastic surgery has nothing to do with plastics.

Rather, it's referring to the plasticity of organic tissue: that is, changing the shape of things through surgery.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 am

Description:
Large amounts of chemicals and plastic waste has been found in @@NAME@@‘s lakes and rivers. Investigations have traced the source to plastic surgery clinics, in which the medical procedures there involve said plastics and chemicals.

I think the first thing to be aware of is that plastic surgery has nothing to do with plastics.

Rather, it's referring to the plasticity of organic tissue: that is, changing the shape of things through surgery.

Hmmm alright. Do you think that it’d be better to make it to where @@LEADER@@ or a relative of leader comes out from a surgical operation gone wrong? I can prolly work with that.
Last edited by Ballpit on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 am

Ballpit wrote:

Hmmm alright. Do you think that it’d be better to make it to where @@LEADER@@ or a relative of leader comes out from a surgical operation gone wrong? I can prolly work with that.

There could be a string of high-profile plastic surgeries gone disastrously that would make it a national issue, or it could be someone rich and famous who got their nose put on sideways and is making a fuss.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 am

Edits applied. (Edit details at the bottom.)

Thoughts?

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am

Narrative still feels a bit awkward to me. Your premise states that @@LEADER@@'s cousin underwent disastrous surgery, got mad about it, and went to the press to vent. I don't feel it's logical for the first option to be the "ban it" option.

3-Option issues usually have this structure

1- mostly sensible option
2- mostly sensible counter-option
3- radical and crazy option

Of course, this structure is not absolute, but I'd recommend getting a feel for it before experimenting.

What you have in your premise, which is looking better, justifies a health-oriented option encouraging tighter regulation or oversight of some sort, but probably not a "ban it" option right out of the gate.

Something like this may work

[The Issue] - Your cousin, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, recently underwent plastic surgery...and it was a complete disaster. After learning that her surgeon failed to disclose the risks associated with her high-stakes butt operation, she has stormed to the press to vent, igniting a national discussion regarding cosmetic surgery.

1-tighten health regulations, increase measures to combat shady medical practices, bla bla bla.
2- No, it's too expensive, people can do whatever they want, bla bla bla.
3- Just ban plastic surgery and forget about it.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Candensia wrote:Narrative still feels a bit awkward to me. Your premise states that @@LEADER@@'s cousin underwent disastrous surgery, got mad about it, and went to the press to vent. I don't feel it's logical for the first option to be the "ban it" option.

3-Option issues usually have this structure

1- mostly sensible option
2- mostly sensible counter-option
3- radical and crazy option

Of course, this structure is not absolute, but I'd recommend getting a feel for it before experimenting.

What you have in your premise, which is looking better, justifies a health-oriented option encouraging tighter regulation or oversight of some sort, but probably not a "ban it" option right out of the gate.

Something like this may work

[The Issue] - Your cousin, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, recently underwent plastic surgery...and it was a complete disaster. After learning that her surgeon failed to disclose the risks associated with her high-stakes butt operation, she has stormed to the press to vent, igniting a national discussion regarding cosmetic surgery.

1-tighten health regulations, increase measures to combat shady medical practices, bla bla bla.
2- No, it's too expensive, people can do whatever they want, bla bla bla.
3- Just ban plastic surgery and forget about it.

Edits applied and logged. Cheers!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Description:
This narrative is too thin. Plastic surgery is always going wrong, and would have to go wrong in a spectacular or especially notable way for news outlets to take notice.
Also, "cosmetic operation goes wrong" is very similar to the premise of #786, just with plastic surgery instead of tattoos.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think the first thing to be aware of is that plastic surgery has nothing to do with plastics.
Technically, silicone, which is often used in plastic surgery, is a plastic according to the materials-science definition, even though it is chemically very different from the materials usually thought of as "plastics", having a silicon-oxygen skeleton rather than a carbon one.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Wouldn't this just be a law suite?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't this just be a law suite?

What do you mean?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Ballpit wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't this just be a lawsuit?
What do you mean?
As in, something that would be resolved by the courts rather than escalated to @@LEADER@@'s desk.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Ballpit wrote:What do you mean?
As in, something that would be resolved by the courts rather than escalated to @@LEADER@@'s desk.

This
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:As in, something that would be resolved by the courts rather than escalated to @@LEADER@@'s desk.

This

Perhaps. I feel this could go both ways tho. Like, the fact that leader's cousin was affected, that gives people a reason to ask leader for his/her opinion on the subject.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Ballpit wrote:What do you mean?

We've had issue that deal with that sort of topic before, Like Victims Demand Their Pound of Flesh
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Ballpit wrote:Title:
More plastic than a child’s toy?

Description:
@@LEADER@@‘s cousin, @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, recently underwent a plastic surgery operation that turned out to be disastrous. Luckily for her, she was one of the survivors in a recent string of plastic surgery related deaths across the nation. People from far and wide have come to your already cramped office demanding a solution.

The last sentence here is unnecessary. A lot of older issues have a line about everyone coming to your office with the issue, but editors got bored of seeing it over and over, so we've been moving away from that format. Either cut that sentence or replace it with something that adds more info about the issue at hand.

[Option] “That’s preposterous!” Shouts @@RANDOMMALE@@, a tired surgeon who got stuck with his children for the day. “Tight regulations is the reason this happened in the first place! If we weren’t so paranoid about breaking specific rules of surgery, we wouldn’t have a problem following the old rules. The answer isn’t more regulations and policies, it’s LESS!

Effect: people who go into surgery die an average of seven times due to the lack of regulations in place

This is a little illogical even by NS standards, particularly the effect line.

If you want to have a "we don't need regulations" option, it might make more sense to frame it in terms of cost-saving, making plastic surgery available to more people and not just the rich. Or argue that it's a question of patients' freedom, that they should be allowed to make their own decisions about the risks they're willing to take.

[Option] “Ban them.” Advocates @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a local environmentalist. “People only get plastic surgery for one reason: to fit in and look better. If you got rid of these daft operations, people would stop feeling so inadequate about themselves. Plus, since when do we need to look better than our environment?”

[Effect] good-looking citizens are frequently questioned by police

Ban them? "Them" what? It's grammatically unclear what "them" refers to in that sentence. From context we can guess that it means cosmetic operations, but grammatically, that's not clear. Having the speaker be an environmentalist and bringing the environment into the dialogue feels kind of forced and awkward.

[Option] “Whoa, hold on there!” Interjects @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, a pediatric nurse from the hospital across the street. “Everyone should have to get plastic surgery. Make it compulsory from a certain age, like 10. Being exposed to hospitals at a young age can help with intolerance to them at an older age. Everyone is so ugly anyway. Imagine how much better we’d all look.”

[Effect] school instructors caught saying “be yourself” are arrested without parole

The line about "intolerance" to hospitals seems weird to me. The purpose of plastic surgery is to make people look better, not to get them used to hospitals.

Something that the discussion on the GI Discord reminded me of, but I don't know if you will have any use for it: I've read some nasty stories about plastic surgery clinics that got shut down because they had bad safety records and/or were unlicensed. There have been cases of people illegally using some random basement in a residential neighborhood as an operating room for plastic surgery. They charge less than legal clinics, but you get what you pay for. There have been some deaths, some medical emergencies where someone almost died, some botched operations that left people with permanent damage. It's a really bad idea.

Maybe someone could make the argument that if you ban plastic surgery, people will just go to underground clinics where it is even riskier.

If you feel like you've already got enough of the bases covered and there isn't a good place where this would fit, that's OK too. Don't feel like you have to use it. It's just something that came to mind when your Discord convo jogged my memory. There was a clinic in Des Moines that was in the local paper due to patient safety issues around the same time that I went out there to start college.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:26 am

USS Monitor wrote:(cut for length)

Thanks for your response! I have made the applicable changes, and for a reference to what has been changed, please see the bottom where it says “changes 6

Let me know what you think!

Cheers.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?