NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] A Tangled Web We Weave

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] A Tangled Web We Weave

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:11 pm

I could have used manatees, frankly... or, some marine mammal. But I felt like using eels. :lol:
(Let me know if you think a marine mammal works better, though the ooze is going to be harder to pull off. ha get it cause... I'm sorry)

This one's always felt a little bit... idk, odd to me. Let me know if any of you feel that way about it, too.

Draft 1.01
Title: A Tangled Web We Weave
The Issue: The environmentally important @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Blue-Striped Eel has been facing extinction due to being caught in fishing nets. Worried about the environmental impact losing this eel would be, in addition to the public backlash of letting a nationally revered creature pass away, you've agreed to attend a small shoreside meeting to discuss possible ways of reversing the effect.
Validity: Must have a fishing industry; Not Vegetarian

Option 1: Marine biologist @@RANDOMNAME@@ holds up a fishing net. "You see this here net? This thing alone is responsible for the accidental killing of many, many precious marine lifeforms. Probably thousands. And worse, the death of many beloved and environmentally crucial Blue-Striped Eels." @@HE@@ pulls out a dead eal, flinging liquid at you. "I'm sick of this fishy business! We need to ban these nets, even if it means less stinking seafood. Ban fishing nets! Save the eels!" The eel oozes out of @@HIS@@ hand.
[effect] tuna has a lot more holes in it

Option 2: While someone mops up the dead eel, a harty seaman gets up from his seat. "Look, we need the eels alive; it's important for fishermen everywhere as fish food. But you know what else is important? Fishing nets! That's why we use them. We'd have a massive deficit of profits on our hands! What you need to do is scoop up a bunch of these eels and breed them in captivity. As long as they're secure, you could even make a profit off of it by opening up aquariums for people to see them."
[effect] aquariums are an anguillophobe's worst nightmare
[Flag Change] If present, removes No Zoos

Option 3: The person who swept up the eel comes back with a small tank of larger, seemingly more ferocious eels. "Why are we limiting ourselves to our eels? The Savoiian Sleek Black Eels are excellent at adapting to all kinds of environments! They also fill a vaguely similar environmental niche. Release a few of these into our waters, and we'll have no need for our dying-out eels. I hear they do so well that Savoiia actually encourages eating these things, too, so we could sell these little suckers back to Savoiia if we wanted. I think."
[effect] beaches are filled to the brim with ravenous black worms

Title: A Tangled Web We Weave
The Issue: The environmentally important @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Blue-Striped Eel has been facing extinction due to being caught in fishing nets. Worried about the environmental impact losing this eel would be, in addition to the public backlash of letting a nationally revered creature pass away, you've agreed to attend a small shoreside meeting to discuss possible ways of reversing the effect.
Validity: Must have a fishing industry

Option 1: Marine Biologist @@RANDOMNAME@@ holds up a fishing net. "You see this here net? This thing alone is responsible for the death of many, many fish. Probably thousands. And worse, the death of many beloved and environmentally crucial Blue-Striped Eels." @@HE@@ pulls out a dead eal, flinging liquid at you. "I'm sick of this fishy business! We need to ban these nets, even if it means less pet fish. Ban fishing nets! Save the eels!" The eel oozes out of @@HIS@@ hand.
[effect] tuna has a lot more holes in it

Option 2: While someone mops up the dead eel, a harty seaman gets up from his seat. "Look, we need the eels alive; it's important for fishermen everywhere as fish food. But you know what else is important? Fishing nets! That's why we use them. We'd have a massive deficit of profits on our hands! What you need to do is scoop up a bunch of these eels and breed them in captivity. As long as they're secure, you could even make a profit off of it by opening up aquariums for people to see them."
[effect] every aquarium consists primarily of eels
[Flag Change] If present, removes No Zoos

Option 3: The person who swept up the eel comes back with a small tank of larger, seemingly more ferocious eels. "Why are we limiting ourselves to our eels? The Savoiian Sleek Black Eels are excellent at adapting to all kinds of environments! They also fill a vaguely similar environmental niche. Release a few of these into our waters, and we'll have no need for our dying-out eels. I hear they do so well that Savoiia actually encouages eating these things, too, so we could sell these little suckers back to Savoiia if we wanted. I think."
[effect] beaches are filled to the brim with ravenous black worms
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Jutsa wrote:I could have used manatees, frankly... or, some marine mammal. But I felt like using eels. :lol:
I was actually expecting something involving spiders.

Jutsa wrote:Validity: Must have a fishing industry
Also no compulsory vegetarianism, I presume.

It is possible to have a thriving fishing industry while vegetarian, though I'm not sure how...

FigureofSpeech is currently #281 in the world for fishing industry, while vegetarian, though it does mention that "black market activity is notable" so that might be it (still just 4%, though... not like Urbis Dei, #803 in fishing, where 78.9% of the economy is black market according to stats, though the chart only says 44.1%). Devindus is #2781 (still top 2%) in fishing with only 0.1% black market, also vegetarian.

Jutsa wrote:"We need to ban these nets, even if it means less pet fish."
Pet fish? I don't think you'd be catching pets with a net. And if you do, it'd be one designed to be non-lethal.

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Jutsa wrote:I could have used manatees
I love manatees :3
Jutsa wrote:[effect] every aquarium consists primarily of eels
I think you could do something more with this. How about
aquariums are an anguillophobe's worst nightmare
?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm

This originally was restricted for vegetarian nations, and then I got rid of it and tried to accommodate them.
But yeah, uh, probably best to re-restrict this. I actually had option 3 mention eating eels too, but I figured that was far too much for one option to do.

edit: Oh yeah and thank you for the effect line. :)

edit2: Also changed "death of many, many fish" to "accidental killing of many, many marine lifeforms" since, y'know,
killing fish is kinda the point of them.

edit3: Made it possible that option 3's using leeches, which uh... fits in with "these little suckers" xD
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm

It seems somewhat unlikely for an eel and a leech to fill the same ecological niche.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:22 pm

OK fair enough. Reverting* :rofl:
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:28 pm

Why can't they just remove the eels from the nets?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why can't they just remove the eels from the nets?
Because that's a lot of work when you're capturing massive amounts of fish, and they're probably more concerned with profits/food than eel safety.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:57 am

Option 1 effect: if nets are now banned, why do tuna have holes?

Fishermen and bears stand side by side to catch fish.

Possibly??
Last edited by Baggieland on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 am

Because that's a lot of work when you're capturing massive amounts of fish, and they're probably more concerned with profits/food than eel safety.

Very true, but that hypothetically could be an option. Only thing is is that several might be dead anyway and plus by the time you get to 'em they may've suffocated.
Overall I'd say it's a bit similar to option 1 and overall worse. :lol:
Still, I mean, it's a possibility if anyone wants it.
Option 1 effect: if nets are now banned, why do tuna have holes?

Fishermen and bears stand side by side to catch fish.

Possibly??

Originally that was supposed to reference fishing hooks, but I get your point.
"Tuna's a lot chunkier lately" naeh grasping at straws.
Idk, your effect line's a possibility but like, people'd still go out on boats to catch fish so idk.
I myself just woke up so my thinking gears are a tiny bit filled with jam atm.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:19 am

Bumping this, once again with my head gears jammed but instead of jam it's more like honey. Not fun.

This is another one of those "I can't put my finger on it" drafts, but I have to admit, I'm liking it more than when I originally drafted it. :P
Still could use some effect lines, though, if anyone has any ideas...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm

Welp, keeping it up for one more week, I think, unless major changes are proposed. Bump.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:55 pm

Lowercased a B. Submitted. :)

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Good luck Justa! :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Eheh, thanks. :)

Considering I've finally uploaded and even submitted this draft with but three more up,
it's a definite sign I've lulled in authoring.

I doubt I'll ever become the frequent author I was once upon a time, but I still have high hopes I've got a lot of writing to do before I stop. :P

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Good Luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:56 am

Good draft, will keep an eye out for it.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Not too often I see such a voice from ya, CWA. Glad you like this one. :)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?