NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Love of the People

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] The Love of the People

Postby Baggieland » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 pm

Here's another one. I'm not too sure about this one, it's a bit weird, but then again it was inspired by all things North Korean, and that's a weird place! Still, I'll put it in GI and see what you guys think of it.

[TITLE] The Love of the People

[DESCRIPTION] It's been a busy day at the office with many issues requiring your careful consideration and wisdom. However, as you read through another one, you start to feel dizzy and collapse on the floor. As you lay there, your intern administers the kiss of life. Luckily, you make a full recovery and as you wipe the slobber from your mouth, you ponder what just happened.

[VALIDITY] only for psychotic dictatorships, allows elderly

[OPTION] "You can't leave us @@LEADER@@, we need you!" wails your secretary, opening the window to show you the people's reaction of when word got out of your collapse. "Look, all over @@CAPITAL@@ the citizenry have rushed to the nearest statue of you and lain down, prostrate at your feet, tears in their eyes. Oh supreme leader, for without you, we are nothing. If your blood is not as healthy as it used to be, then I will gladly donate all my blood and sacrifice myself for you!"

[EFFECT] blood-banks are no longer dead-careful in the amount they extract

[OPTION] "This has to be the work of agents from The United Federation; they must have poisoned your food or drink earlier," proclaims your ageing Finance Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pokes you with @@HIS@@ walking-stick to make sure you're feeling better. "Those United Federation mongrels are nothing but evil. I may be old, but give me a gun @@LEADER@@ and I will kill as many of them as I can!"

[EFFECT] the nation's defence is in the hands of 'Dad's Army'

[OPTION] "We need to look closer to home to find out who tried to poison you @@LEADER@@," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of Security. "I've been watching @@RANDOMNAME(1) for some time now. @@HIS(1)@@ loyalty is very much in question; just last week when you were addressing the nation, instead of cheering and clapping like everyone else – @@HE(1)@@ was sleeping! Highly suspicious. There's an anti-aircraft gun we haven't tried out yet, I think we've just found a target."

[EFFECT] sleeping on the job gets you fired

[OPTION] "Don't be such a big baby!" bellows your over-bearing uncle. "I can't believe what I'm seeing here: you just felt dizzy for a few seconds and all this bawling and commotion breaks out. Stop being such a pansy, get back in your chair and get back to running the country – you no good for nothing work-shy lay-about! Be an example to the people that no matter how sick you may be, you're never too ill to work."

[EFFECT] being worked to death is no longer just a phrase

[DESCRIPTION] It's been a busy day at the office with many issues requiring your careful consideration and wisdom. However, as you read through another one, you suddenly faint and collapse on the floor. Your quick-thinking intern administers the kiss of life, and as your eyes open the intern pulls away – leaving a trail of drool around your lips. Luckily, you make a full recovery and as you wipe the slobber from your mouth, your inner-circle barge in to see what the commotion was about.

[OPTION] "You can't leave us @@LEADER@@, we need you!" wails your secretary, opening the window to show you the people's reaction of when word got out of your collapse. "Look, all over @@CAPITAL@@ the citizenry have rushed to the nearest statue of you and lain down, prostrate at your feet, tears in their eyes. Oh supreme leader, for without you, we are nothing. If your blood is not as healthy as it used to be, then I will gladly donate all my blood and sacrifice myself for you!"

[OPTION] "This has to be the work of agents from The United Federation; they must have poisoned your food or drink earlier," proclaims your ageing Finance Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pokes you with @@HIS@@ walking-stick to make sure you're feeling better. "Those United Federation mongrels are nothing but evil. I may be old, but give me a gun @@LEADER@@ and I will kill as many of them as I can!"

[EFFECT] the elderly have become the nation's front-line of defence

[OPTION] "We need to look closer to home to find out who tried to poison you @@LEADER@@," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Head of Security. "I've been watching @@RANDOMNAME(1) for some time now. @@HIS(1)@@ loyalty is very much in question; just last week when you were addressing the nation, instead of cheering and clapping like everyone else – @@HE(1)@@ was sleeping! Highly suspicious. There's an anti-aircraft gun we haven't tried out yet, I think we've just found a target."

[OPTION] "Don't be such a big baby!" bellows your over-bearing uncle. "I can't believe what I'm seeing here: you just felt dizzy for a few seconds and all this bawling and commotion breaks out. Stop being such a pansy, get back in your chair and get back to running the country – you no good for nothing work-shy lay-about! Be an example to the people that no matter how sick you may be, you're never too ill to work."

[EFFECT] being worked to death is an occupational hazard

[DESCRIPTION] It's been a busy day at the office with many issues requiring your careful consideration and wisdom. However, as you read through another one, you suddenly faint and collapse on the floor. Luckily, your quick-thinking intern administers the kiss of life – your eyes open again and the intern pulls away, leaving a trail of drool around your lips. As you recover and wipe the slobber from your mouth, your inner-circle barge in to see what the commotion was about.

[EFFECT] the elderly have become the nation's front-line of defence

[OPTION] "Don't be such a big baby!" bellows your over-bearing uncle. "I can't believe what I'm seeing here: you passed out for a few seconds and all this bawling and commotion breaks out. Stop being such a pansy, get in your chair and go back to running the country – you no good for nothing work-shy lay-about! Be an example to the people that no matter how sick you may be, you're never too ill to work."

[EFFECT] being worked to death is viewed as an occupational hazard
Last edited by Baggieland on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:13 am

Interesting one, but I'd be worried about @@LEADER@@ feeling anything. Even dizzy.

Maybe open in a more unusual way. Something like.

Your eyes open as one of your interns pulls away, leaving a trail of drool around your lips. "@@LEADER@@, you're back with us! You just passed out cold. I had to give you the kiss of life. Poor thing; you've been working too hard. Just lie still. Don't move."
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Interesting one, but I'd be worried about @@LEADER@@ feeling anything. Even dizzy.

Thanks for the input Joy. I know we can never assume things about leader, but surely feeling dizzy is okay? It's not like I'm assuming leader has cancer.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 am

Baggieland wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Interesting one, but I'd be worried about @@LEADER@@ feeling anything. Even dizzy.

Thanks for the input Joy. I know we can never assume things about leader, but surely feeling dizzy is okay? It's not like I'm assuming leader has cancer.

It's to do with saying what the character thinks, feels or decides. You can probably say the character has fainted (that's not a decision, feeling or thought). But saying they feel dizzy is probably a minor autonomy problem.

CWA has a useful reference guide to player autonomy that I've referred to before.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks Joy, I changed 'dizzy' to 'faint' and took out leader 'pondering'. I had to find room for your 'trail of drool', so reworked the intro a bit to try and fit everything in!

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Baggieland wrote:[EFFECT] the nation's defence is in the hands of 'Dad's Army'
Who is Dad here?

Baggieland wrote:There's an anti-aircraft gun we haven't tried out yet, I think we've just found a target."

Literally.

Baggieland wrote:[EFFECT] being worked to death is no longer just a phrase[/spoiler]
I would say it's "not just a phrase," to avoid assuming that it was before, especially since this is a psychotic dictatorship.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:16 pm

How do we know it's the blood that's at fault?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Far Tholk wrote:Who is Dad here?

It was a British TV sitcom from ages ago. If it's not that well known, I'll change it.

Far Tholk wrote:I would say it's "not just a phrase," to avoid assuming that it was before, especially since this is a psychotic dictatorship.

Fair enough, also changed.

Australian rePublic wrote:How do we know it's the blood that's at fault?

She's a secretary, not a doctor.

I've incorporated those changes into the 2nd draft.

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Baggieland wrote:

It was a British TV sitcom from ages ago. If it's not that well known, I'll change it.
It seems to have been before my time, and I'm not in the UK. I don't think I'm qualified to speak on how well-known it is, other than that I hadn't heard of it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:43 pm

Baggieland wrote:[
Australian rePublic wrote:How do we know it's the blood that's at fault?

She's a secretary, not a doctor.

I've incorporated those changes into the 2nd draft.

So she's making assumptions. Hmmm... perhaps make this clearer
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 am

Baggieland wrote:

I got the Dad's Army reference

Maybe keep canvassing opinions?

I don't think everyone has to get it. If enough people get that it's a reference (even if they don't get what the reference is) then it could send people to google it.

I'm reminded of the "no-one puts baby in a corner" reference.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 am

The Free Joy State wrote:I got the Dad's Army reference

I don't think everyone has to get it. If enough people get that it's a reference (even if they don't get what the reference is) then it could send people to google it.

True, of course. TBH 'Dad's Army' isn't something that I'm that attached to. The new effect line still says pretty much the same thing. :)

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 am

Baggieland wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I got the Dad's Army reference

True, of course. TBH 'Dad's Army' isn't something that I'm that attached to. The new effect line still says pretty much the same thing. :)

I missed that, somehow...

The new line works :)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:37 am

2nd page bump.

I took out 'dizzy' from the last option and also did a bit of tidying up all round.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:20 am

Putting this one on final call.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Submitted. Thanks everyone.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 am

Even though you don't need the likes of me to wish you luck, I'll will wish you luck anyway, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:59 am

Cheers. :)

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:50 pm

For the record, we've recently introduced processes to have staff issues be reviewed and/or rejected by the team, so you're wishes of good luck are once again appreciated and needed by all, Aussie!
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:For the record, we've recently introduced processes to have staff issues be reviewed and/or rejected by the team, so you're wishes of good luck are once again appreciated and needed by all, Aussie!

Doesn't that apply to all issues?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:For the record, we've recently introduced processes to have staff issues be reviewed and/or rejected by the team, so you're wishes of good luck are once again appreciated and needed by all, Aussie!

Doesn't that apply to all issues?

Good luck wishes are always appreciated by everyone, Aussie.

But, whereas players issues will be usually initially be reviewed by whichever member(s) of the team is watching the submissions that day, our new process means that all staff issues will be reviewed and accepted or rejected by the entire team.

So the bar for staff drafts just got a little higher.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Doesn't that apply to all issues?

Good luck wishes are always appreciated by everyone, Aussie.

But, whereas players issues will be usually initially be reviewed by whichever member(s) of the team is watching the submissions that day, our new process means that all staff issues will be reviewed and accepted or rejected by the entire team.

So the bar for staff drafts just got a little higher.

Even more reason to require good luck! :)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?