NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] NO COLLABORATION!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] NO COLLABORATION!

Postby United States of Natan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Validity: Holds elections

Recent reports in the @@CAPITAL@@ Times outline potential claims of cooperation between the government of Brancaland, and officials from your campaign during the last election. The @@NAME@@ Bureau of Investigation has opened an inquiry into the matter.

"This investigation is a sham and a warlock hunt!" Decries your brother, who worked on your campaign and who is currently trying to get permits to build a hotel in Brancaland's capital, in a social media post. "The public knows that @@LEADER@@ would never work with foreign officials to steal an election! Clearly, the @@NAME@@ Bureau of Investigation has it out for @@LEADER@@! They probably voted for the other party's nominee! If you ask me, The entire @NAMEINITIALS@@BI should be purged and investigated for disloyalty! #NOCOLLABORATION!"

Effect: "#Impeach@@LEADER@@" is trending on social media.

"@@LEADER@@, your best move would be to let this play out," claims Jeff Meetings, your Attorney General. "If you're really innocent, I'm sure you'll be cleared by the @@NAMEINITIALS@@BI. But I suppose there is the risk of a conflict of interest, so how about you let me appoint an independent prosecutor? Besides, then nobody can accuse you of influencing the investigation."

Effect: Whenever a government official from @@LEADER@@'s party is investigated, the government hires independent prosecutors.

"Why not take a third option," asks your Secretary of Third Options, Roger Boulder, who's already been subpoenaed by prosecutors, asks. "A sitting leader cannot be indicted. So the solution is simple: Declare a national emergency, like issues at the border or something, and use your emergency powers to make yourself Dictator-for-life, or at least until the statute of limitations runs out. Better yet, use this "emergency" to distract the public from the investigation! It's a win-win! And while you're at it, why don't you extend those protections to your closest advisors as well?"

Effect: Every time investigators look into @@LEADER@@, a "border crisis" is declared.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:10 am

What evidence is there?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What evidence is there?

I'm not sure evidence is relevant to the story. It's supposed to be a little vague, because you don't know if there was actually any "collaboration" or not. Hell, the first option could be entirely correct about the lack of it. But generally issues offer over-the-top, potentially unnecessary solutions or solutions which go too far.

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 am

Anyone else have comments/suggestions?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:43 am

United States of Natan wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:What evidence is there?

I'm not sure evidence is relevant to the story. It's supposed to be a little vague, because you don't know if there was actually any "collaboration" or not. Hell, the first option could be entirely correct about the lack of it. But generally issues offer over-the-top, potentially unnecessary solutions or solutions which go too far.

Well there'd have to be some kind of evidence. The police can't just investigate every crackpot conspuracy theory
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 am

I see a problem within the text: “ "The public knows that @@LEADER@@ would never work with foreign officials to steal an election! Clearly, the @@NAME@@ Bureau of Investigation...” the problem is that, in the second sentence, those of us with ‘the’ in their name, it ends up weird: for me it would show up as “Clearly, the The World Capitalist Confederation Bureau of Investigation....” which makes zero sense. It should be fixed. I would remove the The in there.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:19 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:I see a problem within the text: “ "The public knows that @@LEADER@@ would never work with foreign officials to steal an election! Clearly, the @@NAME@@ Bureau of Investigation...” the problem is that, in the second sentence, those of us with ‘the’ in their name, it ends up weird: for me it would show up as “Clearly, the The World Capitalist Confederation Bureau of Investigation....” which makes zero sense. It should be fixed. I would remove the The in there.

Well then it's weird for countries that DON'T have "The". Mine would be "Clearly, United States of Natan Bureau of Investigation..." that makes zero sense as well. I think the default of "the" is fine, but if an issue editor issues an opposing opinion, I'll defer to it.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I'm not sure evidence is relevant to the story. It's supposed to be a little vague, because you don't know if there was actually any "collaboration" or not. Hell, the first option could be entirely correct about the lack of it. But generally issues offer over-the-top, potentially unnecessary solutions or solutions which go too far.

Well there'd have to be some kind of evidence. The police can't just investigate every crackpot conspuracy theory

The implication is that there is sufficient evidence for an investigation.

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:21 am

United States of Natan wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:I see a problem within the text: “ "The public knows that @@LEADER@@ would never work with foreign officials to steal an election! Clearly, the @@NAME@@ Bureau of Investigation...” the problem is that, in the second sentence, those of us with ‘the’ in their name, it ends up weird: for me it would show up as “Clearly, the The World Capitalist Confederation Bureau of Investigation....” which makes zero sense. It should be fixed. I would remove the The in there.

Well then it's weird for countries that DON'T have "The". Mine would be "Clearly, United States of Natan Bureau of Investigation..." that makes zero sense as well. I think the default of "the" is fine, but if an issue editor issues an opposing opinion, I'll defer to it.
How about 'the national investigation bureau?'

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:36 am

Far Tholk wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Well then it's weird for countries that DON'T have "The". Mine would be "Clearly, United States of Natan Bureau of Investigation..." that makes zero sense as well. I think the default of "the" is fine, but if an issue editor issues an opposing opinion, I'll defer to it.
How about 'the national investigation bureau?'

I considered that, but it didn't work very well.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 am

So does anyone else have anything to say about This? Any issue editors?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 am

I'll take a look at this today, probably. Gotta do some other stuff first, though. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 pm

I feel like I saw this premise already, but I can't remember for sure if that was an actual issue or another draft or if I am just confused. I'm also kind of bored of Trump-related issues, but that might be a personal problem on my end. Maybe there's a viable issue in here, but it would be more timeless if you NSified it a little more rather than staying so close to what is going on with Trump. There's probably room for another government scandal issue of some kind, but I'm just not in love with this one in its current form.

In terms of the actual writing, I don't think the phrase "warlock hunt" works well, because that's not something people actually say.

Effect lines are not complete sentences. They should not be capitalized or end with a period, and if you can make them a little shorter and funnier, that would be nice. Try to keep the grammatical structures in effect lines as simple as possible so that it is easy to parse when they are put together in the same sentence with effects from other issues.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I feel like I saw this premise already, but I can't remember for sure if that was an actual issue or another draft or if I am just confused. I'm also kind of bored of Trump-related issues, but that might be a personal problem on my end. Maybe there's a viable issue in here, but it would be more timeless if you NSified it a little more rather than staying so close to what is going on with Trump. There's probably room for another government scandal issue of some kind, but I'm just not in love with this one in its current form.

In terms of the actual writing, I don't think the phrase "warlock hunt" works well, because that's not something people actually say.

Effect lines are not complete sentences. They should not be capitalized or end with a period, and if you can make them a little shorter and funnier, that would be nice. Try to keep the grammatical structures in effect lines as simple as possible so that it is easy to parse when they are put together in the same sentence with effects from other issues.

Ok, so how would you suggest I "NSify" the issue? I'd still like to stick to the general premise, because the title after all, is "NO COLLABORATION!" As for "warlock hunt", I wanted to use "witch hunt", but I felt that was phrase was a little worn out so I wanted to change it up a bit.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 am

United States of Natan wrote:Validity: Holds elections

Recent reports in the @@CAPITAL@@ Times outline potential claims of cooperation between the government of Brancaland, and officials from your campaign during the last election. The @@NAME@@ Bureau of Investigation has opened an inquiry into the matter.

This premise was covered pretty well by Max himself, in a much subtler way, but then he is a professional author, so we do expect high quality stuff of him :).

See Issue 1000.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Validity: Holds elections

This premise was covered pretty well by Max himself, in a much subtler way, but then he is a professional author, so we do expect high quality stuff of him :).

See Issue 1000.

Perhaps validity could be based on your answer in 1000, then? He covered the social media aspect, but not so much the criminal aspect...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Eh, sorry Natan, but between that issue, 961, and in particular 923, I'm afraid this topic's not got much room for more groundcover.
You could get technical about it, but overall I'm of the mindset that this issue's probably not going to pass. Sorry. :(

I could of course be wrong, if you wanted to continue to pursue this, but I'd personally recommend trying your hand at another issue.
You could ask if an issue idea sounds good or has been covered over in the Writers' Block.
Good luck, whatever you choose to do. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?