NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Peace, Love, and Misery

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Peace, Love, and Misery

Postby Valrifell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:42 am

Draft 3 wrote:[title] Peace, Love, and Misery
[validity] Only valid for nations with high cheerfulness

[description] After several incidents of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ disquieting international dignitaries, tourists, and businesspeople with their overbearing happiness, several foreign nationals have petitioned you to kill the nation’s mood.

[option] "”It’s not that we don’t like @@NAME@@, it’s just that your citizens are… weirding us out.” begins Dàguó diplomat, @@RANDOMNAME@@, desperately trying to avoid your grinning gaze. “I’ve heard from a former associate’s friend’s husband that several trade deals were jeopardized due to inappropriate laughter and smiling. What your people need is balance. Luckily ancient Dàguóren teachings can help your people and we have several teachers just waiting to enlighten @@NAME@@. Of course, it would be costly, but isn’t that the price we pay for inner balance and true peace?”
[effect] the nation pours millions into helping citizens find their inner sadness

[option] "This is why we - I mean, Marche Noir - hate @@NAME@@.” anxiously states Marche Blanc diplomat @@RANDOMNAME@@, recovering from an overbearing friendship hug from your security advisor. "However, in spite of being a miserable oppressive backwards backwater, Marche Noir commands great respect on the international stage. Since there is clearly nothing redeemable about them, it must be due to the fact their people never smile. Clearly, Marche Noirians never smile because of the oppressive and sickening regime of the nation, therefore, @@LEADER@@, if you want us to take you seriously you need to crack down on the freedoms of your people."
[effect] the government enforces misery

[option] "It’s just not natural" angrily exclaims famous Skandilundian ambassador, chemist, and renowned buzzkill Dmitri Noble. "Thankfully, science has the answer yet again! I’ve analyzed the chemicals found in @@NAME@@’s water supply and I've come to the conclusion that the abnormal concentration of the chemical seradopakentomine is what’s causing this outbreak of joy. Probably. I've invented a serum based on the rare Haptu koly melon, that, if added to your water supply, will counteract its effects. You see, it works through…"
[only valid for nations who drug their citizens.]
[effect] citizens with depression are advised to avoid water

[option] "These foreign friends just don’t understand our culture." laughs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a @@DEMONYM@@ soccer mom, who merrily strolled into your office, uninvited. "Look at me! I’m a single mother of seven, working three jobs, my cat died, and I have @@ANMIAL@@ Flu. But I’m doing fine! I’m fine! Everything’s fine! Things are so fine, in fact, you should be mandating cheery and perky behavior in @@NAME@@ and those that refuse to see the light and be happy can and eat my shorts and be deported to East Lebatuck for their ingratitude!"
[effect] the nation has internationally isolated itself on Cloud 9
Draft 2 wrote:[title] Peace, Love, and Misery
[validity] Only valid for nations with high happiness

[description] After several incidents of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ disquieting international dignitaries, tourists, and businesspeople with their overbearing happiness, several foreign nationals have petitioned you to kill the nation’s mood.

[option] "”It’s not that we don’t like you, it’s just that your citizens are… weirding us out.” begins Dàguó diplomat, @@RANDOMNAME@@, desperately trying to avoid your grinning gaze. “I’ve heard from a former associate’s friend’s husband that several trade deals were jeopardized due to inappropriate laughter and smiling. What your people need is balance. Luckily ancient Dàguóren teachings can help your people and we have several teachers just waiting to enlighten @@NAME@@. Of course, it would be costly, but isn’t that the price we pay for inner balance and true peace?”
[effect] the nation pours millions into helping citizens find their inner sadness

[option] "This is why we - I mean, Marche Noir - hate your citizens.” anxiously states Marche Blanc diplomat @@RANDOMNAME@@, recovering from an overbearing friendship hug from your security advisor. "Our spies say that the people of Marche Noir never smile. Why? Because of Otto Kratt and his dictatorship. For once I think you can stand to learn a thing or two from that backwater. Taking away a few freedoms and encouraging a few arbitrary laws should do the trick."

[option] "It’s just not natural" angrily exclaims famous Skandilundian ambassador, chemist, and renowned buzzkill Dmitri Noble. "Thankfully, science has the answer yet again! I’ve analyzed the chemicals found in @@NAME@@’s water supply and I've come to the conclusion that the abnormal concentration of the chemical seradopakentomine is what’s causing this outbreak of joy. Probably. I've invented a serum based on the rare Haptu koly melon, that, if added to your water supply, will counteract its effects. You see, it works through…"

[option] "These foreign friends just don’t understand our culture." laughs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a @@DEMONYM@@ soccer mom, who merrily strolled into your office, uninvited. "Look at me! I’m a single mother of seven, working three jobs, my cat died, and I have @@ANMIAL@@ Flu. But I’m doing fine! I’m fine! Everything’s fine! Things are so fine, in fact, you should be encouraging cheery and perky behavior in @@NAME@@ and those that refuse to see the light or be happy can eat my shorts!"
[title] Peace, Love, and Misery
[validity] Only valid for nations with high happiness

[option] "It’s bleeding us dry!" happily declares @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ analyst, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Because of happy accidents caused by our nation’s joy, nobody wants to do business with us! Unless we educate people on the need for other emotions, the economy will implode! Hooray!"

[option] "It’s not natural," begins famous Ausblic pop psychologist and renowned buzzkill Edmund Fraud, puffing cigar smoke directly in your face, "to be happy all the time. The mind needs a rainbow of emotions to express itself. Between you and me, when I want to feel down, I just eat a few ounces of the famous Haptuan koly melon. Adding its mind-altering juices to @@NATION@@’s water should have the same effect on @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ and solve this outbreak of joy. Probably. Now, then, about your mother…"
[only valid for nations who don’t drug their citizens.]

[option] "It’s just not natural!" angrily exclaims famous Skandilundian chemist and renowned buzzkill Dmitri Noble. "Thankfully, science has the answer yet again! I’ve analyzed the chemicals found in @@NAME@@’s water supply and I've come to the conclusion that the abnormal concentration of the chemical seradopakentomine is what’s causing this outbreak of joy. Probably. I've invented a serum based on the rare Haptu koly melon, that, if added to your water supply, will counteract its effects. You see, it works through…"

[option] "I know what the problem is." anxiously states Marche Blanc diplomat @@RANDOMNAME@@, recovering from an overbearing friendship hug from your Minister of Finance. "@@NAME@@ has too many freedoms. Our spies say that the people of Marche Noire never smile. Why? Because of Otto Kratt and his dictatorship. Maybe rescinding some freedoms will get people back to being miserable."
[only valid for high freedom nations]

[option] "I know what the problem is" plainly states Marche Noire spy @@RANDOMNAME@@, recovering from an overbearing friendship hug from your security advisor. "@@NAME@@ isn't free enough. Our spies say that the people of Marche Blanc never smile. Why? Because of Lee Bert Tarian and his chaotic regime allowing for the common man's exploitation. Maybe granting some freedoms will get people back to being miserable."
[only valid for low-freedom nations]
[effect] politicians try to legislate the national mood

[option] "They just don’t understand our culture." laughs @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a @@DEMONYM@@ soccer mom, who merrily strolled into your office, uninvited. "Look at me! I’m a single mother of seven, working three jobs, my cat died, and I have @@ANMIAL@@ Flu. But I’m doing fine! I’m fine! Everything’s fine! Things are so fine, in fact, you should be encouraging cheery and perky behavior in @@NAME@@ and those that refuse to see the light or be happy can eat my shorts!"
---
Changelog:
-Whole new option one. Removed the two conditional options to streamline the issue more. Miscellaneous changes. Kept one "spike the water" option just because I think it's still semi-relevant, average @@NATION@@ will only see three options.
-Option 2's second half was rewritten, option 4 got some added lines to make the intent clearer. Also added the "hate @@NAME@@" joke between options 1 and 2.
---
Took the concept from Jutsa's list of issue ideas.

Criticism welcome.
Last edited by Valrifell on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:32 pm

Premise seems similar to #522, and it didn't make much sense the first time, either.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:41 pm

:rofl:

Glad to see you've taken a liking to the idea, Valrifell. I admit, this is not going to be a particularly easy concept to add to the game again.
I know. I almost sorta tried once.

... xD

But seriously, yes, this won't be easy. But I think the premise is different enough from the issue Trot mentioned. :P

One thing to note, I think the Marche Blanc diplomat should advocate for more freedom and Marche Noir spy advocate for less.
Also, "working three jobs, [...] and I just lost my job"; just pointing this out too. :lol:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:43 pm

They're both related to happiness, iirc - though one is to do with economic benefits, and this seems to be international relations, so I'm fine with you continuing to work on this and see where it gets to.

So no overlap for now in my view, though do keep an eye on it.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Sanctaria wrote:They're both related to happiness, iirc - though one is to do with economic benefits, and this seems to be international relations, so I'm fine with you continuing to work on this and see where it gets to.

So no overlap for now in my view, though do keep an eye on it.

Will do

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:46 pm

Jutsa wrote::rofl:

Glad to see you've taken a liking to the idea, Valrifell. I admit, this is not going to be a particularly easy concept to add to the game again.
I know. I almost sorta tried once.

... xD

But seriously, yes, this won't be easy. But I think the premise is different enough from the issue Trot mentioned. :P

One thing to note, I think the Marche Blanc diplomat should advocate for more freedom and Marche Noir spy advocate for less.
Also, "working three jobs, [...] and I just lost my job"; just pointing this out too. :lol:

The joke for those two options is that they're advising @@LEADER@@ to conform more to their rival's ideological framework to make their people more miserable. I *think* I got them right for that purpose.

I'm ashamed that jobs thing slipped through my re-reading of that option.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:59 pm

That... does actually kinda make sense @rivals.
And it's also kinda funny that a Marche Noire rival of your nation would want your people more miserable for the sake of it,
but Marche Blanc just because they're too uppity. xD

Maybe you could even play off of that a little bit, with the guy from Marche Noire saying something _along the lines of_
"this is why we—I mean, Marche Noire, hates @@NAME@@". :lol:

Yeah, this is almost definitely an issue I'm going to keep an eye on, unless it gets a red light or something. :)

edit: That said, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the way it's set up.
As of now, it's more of a "joy is definitely bad, but we need to find different ways of making it worse" with one "it's fine!" option.
I'm not entirely sure how else you'd go about it, but I'm not entirely sure this is it, especially with the "drug-the-water-supply" option.
Maybe an education and a brute-force-it option, but as-is, I'm not personally sold on it. Not saying it won't work,
that's just my fifteen-and-a-half-point-forty-two cents plus a dollar give or take a few.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:51 pm

Jutsa wrote:Yeah, this is almost definitely an issue I'm going to keep an eye on, unless it gets a red light or something. :)

Thank you! I hope I can do the premise justice.

edit: That said, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the way it's set up.
As of now, it's more of a "joy is definitely bad, but we need to find different ways of making it worse" with one "it's fine!" option.
I'm not entirely sure how else you'd go about it, but I'm not entirely sure this is it, especially with the "drug-the-water-supply" option.
Maybe an education and a brute-force-it option, but as-is, I'm not personally sold on it. Not saying it won't work,
that's just my fifteen-and-a-half-point-forty-two cents plus a dollar give or take a few.

I'll consider this as I redraft the issue. I do think it might be too unfocused from the original premise since the only options that reference the crux of the issue I'm going for are 1 and 3. I will admit the "drug the water supply" option(s) wasn't apart of my original framework for the issue but I thought it would be an inclusion that, at worst, wouldn't hurt the quality.
Last edited by Valrifell on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:32 pm

I mean, to be fair, they were funny, I will give you that.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:13 am

This issue is too long. As a general rule of thumb, the more options an issue has, the shorter each option should be.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:This issue is too long. As a general rule of thumb, the more options an issue has, the shorter each option should be.

The issue doesn't actually have six options, I mentioned this in the OP. The max it has is four, three on a good day. Unless you're saying that four is still too many.

The most efficient route, I'll agree, is removing the "drug the water" option and just rewriting it with three options to focus it better.
Last edited by Valrifell on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Second draft is live.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:48 am

This looks kind of fun. Premise is ok.

Option #2 feels bland and pointless. So, they never smile because of that evil dictator. Does that make them extraordinary successful in their trade endeavors? Are they feared and respected on the international stage? It needs some kind of connection to the issue at hand.

The last option made me laugh, but it's a bit unclear what you're actually doing there. Does it have any draconian implications of "forcing" people to be happy? In any way, the option should be doing something new, otherwise, it's just a funny dismiss-button.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 am

Gnejs wrote:Option #2 feels bland and pointless. So, they never smile because of that evil dictator. Does that make them extraordinary successful in their trade endeavors? Are they feared and respected on the international stage? It needs some kind of connection to the issue at hand.

Fair point, I'll work on that.

The last option made me laugh, but it's a bit unclear what you're actually doing there. Does it have any draconian implications of "forcing" people to be happy? In any way, the option should be doing something new, otherwise, it's just a funny dismiss-button.

It is supposed to be forcing the people to be happy as they are, that should be made clearer in future drafts.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 am

Third draft is live, very much open to more suggestions for reworking the second option.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 am

I'm not sure about the premise. A high happiness nation isn't one where people giggle unexpectedly, or walk around with manic grins. It's one with a high level of contentedness in life, general cheerfulness and a lower rate of depression.

Not constructive criticism, I know, as I haven't got an alternative approach for you, but I think the underlying premise seems a bit flawed.

Relevant to conversation:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/these-a ... world.html
https://www.axios.com/the-worlds-unhapp ... 2b43f.html

So if you're thinking high cheerfulness nation, think Finland. General laid backness, less anger, less frustration, but probably calmer demeanours overall than less cheerful places. When you think unhappy, think Burundi and Rwanda...
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'm not sure about the premise. A high happiness nation isn't one where people giggle unexpectedly, or walk around with manic grins. It's one with a high level of contentedness in life, general cheerfulness and a lower rate of depression.

Not constructive criticism, I know, as I haven't got an alternative approach for you, but I think the underlying premise seems a bit flawed.

Relevant to conversation:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/these-a ... world.html
https://www.axios.com/the-worlds-unhapp ... 2b43f.html

So if you're thinking high cheerfulness nation, think Finland. General laid backness, less anger, less frustration, but probably calmer demeanours overall than less cheerful places. When you think unhappy, think Burundi and Rwanda...

That's kind of a fair point, but at the same time that would mean the premise to 522 would be flawed, no? I don't think the NS stat "Cheerfulness" is supposed to be 1-to-1 marker for how we measure happiness in real life, but I'm not going to argue with an Editor over that :unsure:

I do think I could probably rework this into an issue about @@NAME@@ being walked over internationally by being too nice through minimal reworking of the first two options, though the rest of it will probably have to be trashed altogether, if you think that would fit better. If something like that hasn't already been done before, of course.
Last edited by Valrifell on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 am

The premise of 522 is indeed flawed, as suggested by the acronym of the study group:

It’s a slow news day, and so a recent study by the Scientific Centre of Analytical Metadata is getting considerable attention. After a decade of expensive travel to exotic climes, researchers have concluded that nations where people laugh more have a lower GDP. Your advisers have gathered to find out what you want to do.

You get a spurious study in that observes a correlation that may not even exist, and it's up to you to decide how to reasons to that. In fact, the whole "government gets to make kneejerk responses to bad science" thing is some great satire by FJS before she was an editor, and is why I picked up the issue.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm

As I said earlier, I think it’s an ok premise. I don’t mind the occasional silly take on the stats and ratings, and I don’t have a problem with interpreting “Cheerfulness” in this manner. Besides, anyone claiming that Finland is a cheerful country, has obviously never been to Finland :)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Gnejs wrote:As I said earlier, I think it’s an ok premise. I don’t mind the occasional silly take on the stats and ratings, and I don’t have a problem with interpreting “Cheerfulness” in this manner. Besides, anyone claiming that Finland is a cheerful country, has obviously never been to Finland :)

Truth. Lived there for a year. There's more cheer in a graveyard.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:This issue is too long. As a general rule of thumb, the more options an issue has, the shorter each option should be.

The issue doesn't actually have six options, I mentioned this in the OP. The max it has is four, three on a good day. Unless you're saying that four is still too many.

The most efficient route, I'll agree, is removing the "drug the water" option and just rewriting it with three options to focus it better.

Four options is not too many. Four options should be medium length (i.e. somewhere between short and sweet and an essay). Maybe a paragraph, a paragraph and a half, max, if you stretch it out
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 am

Gnejs wrote:As I said earlier, I think it’s an ok premise. I don’t mind the occasional silly take on the stats and ratings, and I don’t have a problem with interpreting “Cheerfulness” in this manner. Besides, anyone claiming that Finland is a cheerful country, has obviously never been to Finland :)

Heheh.

Weird thing, as happiness/contentedness doesn't necessarily correlate with outward cheerfulness. Look at the US, where you always get service with a smile, and lots of insincere "have a nice day!" greetings, but which also has high levels of discontent through its society.

Finland's claim to cheerfulness is based on decent quality statistics (http://worldhappiness.report/ed/2018/).
For sure, they're not an outwardly expressive nation when it comes to their happiness, and probably there's more of an impression of happiness given by other countries. A good example here would be Nigeria, where people are culturally prone to big laughs, big smiles, warm hugs and big expressions of happiness, but which also is a deeply troubled nation with a lot on its mind, so ends up at a much lower (though still very respectable, and one of the best for Africa) 91st in the world. If you meet a group of Nigerians and a group of Finns, the former will definitely seem more cheerful.

But that's kind of my point here - the premise that the happiest nations are the ones that seem annoyingly happy to foreigners isn't the right one. I mean, here in the UK, we're famous for finding the USA to be annoyingly cheerful, but our ranks on the world happiness index are 1 space apart. It's just differences in cultural expression of happiness, not the actual happiness.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 am

It's probably worth noting that the stat is named cheerfulness, not happiness, though. Description: "The World Census shared cheeky grins with citizens around the world in order to determine which were the most relentlessly cheerful."

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 am

Good point, though most of the issues that raise it relate to national happiness and contentment. It's one of those stats in need of a review for consistency, but one thing we've often related it to is mental health. If mental health gets treatment and investment, then the stat sees increases.

The whole "relentlessly cheerful" thing seems to me to be for the sake of a humorous presentation (as are most of the stat descriptions) of the MO of the Census. Of course they don't do sensible things like survey happiness indices with carefully chosen assessments - instead, they count "Percentage Of Water Glasses Perceived Half-Full".

I don't think the measurement units or the description of the census approach are meant to indicate anything other than comedy.

Thinking on that argument though, I've probably talked myself into a corner here. The approach of this issue is certainly comedically valid, even while lacking some verisimilitude.

That in mind, I withdraw my objections!

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:59 am

Bhutan actually has a governmental department on national happiness. The people's joy being a top priority. However, they only measure it by regular things such as: having a job, a home and enough food.

Personally I agree with Candle's earlier objection that a nation where the people walk around with an inane grin on their faces all the time just seems a bit silly to me.

However, Gnejs likes it, so carry on Valrifell :)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?