NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted 1/3/19] Losing Touch

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[submitted 1/3/19] Losing Touch

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:04 am

SECOND DRAFT (made French):

TITLE:

Losing Touch

VALIDITY:

Any, Immigration not banned

DESCRIPTION:

The Merovingian President is on his way over to you for a state visit, but the man is extremely tactile, always keen to over-extend handshakes, to hug at the slightest provocation, and even to cordially rest his left hand on your inner thigh during conversations.

OPTION ONE

"We need some sort of strategy to keep a diplomatic distance here," whispers your Minister of Safe Spaces, leaning in conspiratorially to just under seven inches from your nose. "We can position your seats either side of a large table, and ensure that at all the events you attend you always have an aide or three between you. That way he can't be tempted to get too touchy."

OUTCOME:

political visitors to the nation are forced to stop ten paces from @@LEADER@@'s throne

OPTION TWO

"Zut alors, this is not the president being tres romantique!" points out Pierre, one of your aides who happens to be a Merovingian expat. "He is not asking you 'voulez vous couchez avec moi'! Non! This is just the Merovingian way of being polite. You should just embrace him hard, take his boeuf bourguignon in hand, and plant a kiss on each of his cheeks. This will show you are a politicien du monde, quoi."

OUTCOME:

visiting dignitaries often end up cuddling in the hot tub with @@LEADER@@

OPTION THREE

"We should neither be manoeuvring to avoid his advances, nor be forced to be inappropriately manhandled," snaps dog trainer Milo Cesar, grabbing Pierre by the collar, and forcing him away from you. "Instead, the next time the Merovingian President touches you, just hold one hand up, and sharply scold him with a loud 'No! Bad man! Sit!' He, and all the other grab-happy gropers, need to be told that it is never acceptable to touch anybody without permission. Indeed, there must be a law against it!"

OUTCOME:

mums always ask their three-year-olds for permission before hugging them

FIRST DRAFT:
TITLE:

The Common Touch

VALIDITY:

Any

DESCRIPTION:

The Prime Minister from Ausblic is on his way over to you for a state visit, but the man is worryingly tactile, always keen to over-extend handshakes, to hug at the slightest provocation, and even cordially rest his left hand on your inner thigh during conversations.

OPTION ONE

"We need some sort of strategy to keep a diplomatic distance here," whispers your Minister of Safe Spaces, leaning in conspiratorially to just under seven inches from your nose. "We can position your seats either side of a large table, and ensure that at all the events you attend you always have an aide or three between you. That way he can't be tempted to get too touchy."

OUTCOME:

political visitors to the nation are forced to stop ten paces from @@LEADER@@'s throne

OPTION TWO

"Strewth, there's no harm done, mate, we're just a friendly nation," points out Bruce, one of your aides who happens to be an Ausblic expat. "It's not like we're cuddling in the nuddy! Just meet him in your thongs, grab him by the billabong, and give him a smackeroonie on the lips. That'll show you're a 'no worries' kinda larrikin. Bonza!"

OUTCOME:

visiting dignitaries often end up cuddling in the hot tub with @@LEADER@@

OPTION THREE

"We should neither be manoeuvring to avoid his advances, nor be forced to be inappropriately manhandled," snaps dog trainer @@randomfemalename@@, grabbing Bruce by the collar, and forcing him away from you. "Instead, the next time the Ausblic PM touches you, just hold one hand up, and sharply scold him with a loud 'No! Bad man! Sit!' He, and all the other grab-happy gropers, need to be told that it is never acceptable to touch anybody without permission. Indeed, there must be a law against it!"

OUTCOME:

mums always ask their three-year-olds for permission before hugging them
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:31 am, edited 8 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 am

In real life, Australia is a cold culture. Australians don't like hugs. My love of hugging comes from a warm culture- i.e. my Greek ansestry
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:10 am

Oh, fair point.

Shame, I wanted more Ausblic in the game! I could make it about a France expy instead, I guess. Merovingia could probably use more game presence.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 am

Okay second draft has Ausblic switched for Merovingia. Shame to lose the thong joke.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Zut alors, this is not the president being tres romantique!" points out Pierre, one of your aides who happens to be an Merovingian expat. "He is not asking you 'voulez vous couchez avec moi'! Non! This is just the Merovingian way of being polite. You should just embrace him hard, take his boeuf bourguignon in hand, and plant a kiss on each of his cheeks. This will show you are a politicien du monde, quoi."
I think you're overdoing the accent here. Large pieces of the speech are completely incomprehensible. Plus, real bilinguals don't talk like that.

Also, what if the nation banned immigration?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:43 am

Immigration validity added.

Re: being over the top, I personally think it's comedically justifiable.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:24 am

Agreed. I don't care if I don't understand any of it;
"He is not asking you 'voulez vous couchez avec moi'! Non"
"take his boeuf bourguignon in hand"
:rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:51 am

Perhaps the speaker in the last option could be Milo Caesar from #1096? Always fun to use characters in several issues, and you never know when this opportunity will come around again.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:26 am

Sure!

Though I admit, I have no idea what is being referenced by this name.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:43 am

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:11 pm

All this assumes that @@NAME@@ is a cold culture. I was kind of hoping for a counter draft whereby @@LEADER@@ awkwardly hugs a foreign leader
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:All this assumes that @@NAME@@ is a cold culture. I was kind of hoping for a counter draft whereby @@LEADER@@ awkwardly hugs a foreign leader
That would be a logical followup to chain off option 2.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:All this assumes that @@NAME@@ is a cold culture. I was kind of hoping for a counter draft whereby @@LEADER@@ awkwardly hugs a foreign leader

I dunno, does it? I think if you're a huggy culture, you pick option 2.

I guess "worryingly tactile" is a bit of a loaded phrase though. I'll amend draft 2 so it says "extremely tactile" instead, and that way there's no OOC judgement.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:16 am

I suppose if you want to make reference to me, (which was your original intent) you couod parody Greece, rather than France. Also, Ausblic could be the non-huggy culture, who recieved a hug from @@LEADER@@

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:50 am

Heh, the quest to add Greeks to NS continues, eh? :)

I think honestly, to most Brits, Americans and English-speakers, the image of the Frenchman who kisses you on both cheeks is probably more familiar than the Greek doing the same. Also, we also have two vaguely French NPC nations in the game, but no Greek-style ones.

Also, I'm not convinced I can write a comedically Greek character! Will leave that to you!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Heh, the quest to add Greeks to NS continues, eh? :)

No you don't understand. It only counts if it's MY issue
I think honestly, to most Brits, Americans and English-speakers, the image of the Frenchman who kisses you on both cheeks is probably more familiar than the Greek doing the same. Also, we also have two vaguely French NPC nations in the game, but no Greek-style ones.

Fair enough
Also, I'm not convinced I can write a comedically Greek character! Will leave that to you!

Well you didn't like my plate smashing one, nor the grandma who cooks too much, so, back to the drawing board...
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 am

That plate smashing one was almost there. Made it to the accepted folder, sat for a long time, then dropped off pool bottom. If it had been 25% funnier and sharper, I reckon it'd have been added. Feel free to try the same topic again with your now-improved writing skills.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:08 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That plate smashing one was almost there. Made it to the accepted folder, sat for a long time, then dropped off pool bottom. If it had been 25% funnier and sharper, I reckon it'd have been added. Feel free to try the same topic again with your now-improved writing skills.

Ok. Anyway, anyway enough thread jacking. Back to the draft at hand:
How did you get "Merovingian" from France? And I agree that option 2 overdoes the French speak

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:42 am

Maybe you could reference the matrix sequels with this one?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:52 am

The whole Merovingia thing being in NS comes from a Matrix reference in the first place (see #922, I'll Have What She's Having).

As to why Merovingians are French, well it's because RL Merovingians ruled over the area that was France.

Like Tasmania, we're sharing a NS nation name with a real place name, but assuming some sort of divergent history resulting in a significantly different place.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The whole Merovingia thing being in NS comes from a Matrix reference in the first place (see #922, I'll Have What She's Having).

As to why Merovingians are French, well it's because RL Merovingians ruled over the area that was France.

Like Tasmania, we're sharing a NS nation name with a real place name, but assuming some sort of divergent history resulting in a significantly different place.

I confused "Merivingians" for "Montonegrans"...

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:political visitors to the nation are forced to stop ten paces from @@LEADER@@'s throne

Would this require the monarchy validity?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:one of your aides who happens to be an Merovingian expat

A Merovingian.

Trotterdam wrote:I think you're overdoing the accent here. Large pieces of the speech are completely incomprehensible. Plus, real bilinguals don't talk like that.

I've met plenty of bilinguals who still carry a strong accent from their native country.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am

Baggieland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:I think you're overdoing the accent here. Large pieces of the speech are completely incomprehensible. Plus, real bilinguals don't talk like that.
I've met plenty of bilinguals who still carry a strong accent from their native country.
Accents, sure. But "constantly interspersing words from your native language" is not how accents work.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:49 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Baggieland wrote:I've met plenty of bilinguals who still carry a strong accent from their native country.
Accents, sure. But "constantly interspersing words from your native language" is not how accents work.

I think it's fine. It's satirical and humorous to prove a point.

Given the nature of the game is satire, not everything has to be 100% true to life.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:24 am

Baggieland wrote:Would this require the monarchy validity?

Crossed my mind, but I think you can have a throne without being a monarch. Thrones definitely imply being a "rule from above" kinda leader, but that's not without precedent outside of monarchies.

A Merovingian.

Thanks.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?