NATION

PASSWORD

Issue 462, Option 2 is quite distasteful

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Behest
Civil Servant

Founded: May 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Issue 462, Option 2 is quite distasteful

Postby Behest » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong board, but:

"A protesting, middle-aged, overweight female resident, sporting an unflattering dress and far too much makeup, demands your attention. 'Do you expect a young, single, and needless I say attractive female like myself to walk the streets IN THE DARK!? Oh how all the unsavory characters across @@NAME@@ would just love that! Stop pandering to this madness and keep the streets lit whatever the cost!'"

Is this actually implying ugly women don't get raped?

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:35 pm

It's satire.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Behest
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Behest » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:It's satire.

On what?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Behest makes a valid point, I think. While the humor does clearly come from the idea of the egotistical person complimenting herself (self-delusion is an age-old comedy trope), I can also see it being read as implying that a person like her doesn't actually have anything to fear, which is patently untrue. I feel like the joke (self-delusion) can be retained, but clarification can be added by inserting a short extra sentence in there. Something like "Whether you're gorgeous like me, or as ugly as a supermodel, you deserve to be safe! Stop pandering to this..." It retains the humor, but clearly sets down that the actual issue is about safety, not appearance.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:Behest makes a valid point, I think. While the humor does clearly come from the idea of the egotistical person complimenting herself (self-delusion is an age-old comedy trope), I can also see it being read as implying that a person like her doesn't actually have anything to fear, which is patently untrue. I feel like the joke (self-delusion) can be retained, but clarification can be added by inserting a short extra sentence in there. Something like "Whether you're gorgeous like me, or as ugly as a supermodel, you deserve to be safe! Stop pandering to this..." It retains the humor, but clearly sets down that the actual issue is about safety, not appearance.

I would instead add something like "and the ugly could hget mugged" or something like that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 am

For sure, I see the potential offence there. However, as Verdant Haven says, I think the joke here is the self-delusion, rather than the implication that attractiveness determines vulnerability to sex crimes. In the modern age, anything that could imply victim-blaming in rape is deeply problematic.

Also, of course, what was acceptable in humour once could become unacceptable over time. People don't make mother-in-law jokes any more, or at least, they've ceased to be funny. Nor is it a good taste joke now for a visual joke's punchline to be "surprise, she's ugly" (the classic old fashioned joke being the male protagonist following a woman who looks conventionally sexy, and then she turns around, reveals her face or whatever, and is hideous).

This is also humour that punches down rather than up, and isn't so much satire, but is certainly and clearly presented with the goal of humour.

That in mind, we're not going to shut down this complaint dismissively.

However - and this is the point of judgement - I don't think that this joke is all that offensive. There's no direct mention of sexual assault. Also, we're not saying that she's ugly directly, we're just implying it, and riffing off her self-delusion. If the non-speech text said something like "a middle aged woman who no rapist would be interested in anyway" then that'd be awful, and would need removing. As it is, we've just described some physical features that some might judge unattractive, then presented in character speech implying that she thinks herself beautiful. That might imply a narrative that she's worried when she doesn't need to be, but that opinion is never offered by the option - it's a narrative that the reader must construct themselves.

There's always a danger in watering down comedy for the sake of being as inoffensive as possible, and somewhere along the way becoming unfunny. Sometimes, comedy HAS to take the hit. I was all for the issues that presented offensive transgender and traveller stereotypes being changed, and indeed those issues seem to work fine with the language modernised, even though some might feel they are now less funny.

However here, I think that while offence could be taken (especially if someone had the misfortune of being a victim of sexual assault), the levels of separation from an outright statement of "ugly women don't get raped" offers some protection from offensiveness, as does the fact that it's text within speech presented by a character, rather than "factual" information presented within an issue opening or description. To clarify on that, we don't take a fascist or racist character as an authorial endorsement of fascism or racism: there are allowances for the fact that opinions stated are those of fictional characters.

Those considerations in mind, I think that it's okay for this option to remain as it is for now.

However, I thank you for raising the potential concern, and you should consider this issue to be under scrutiny rather than the concerns being dismissed.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Telcz
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Telcz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:11 am

Beautiful or ugly are in the eye of the beholder. Who says the mentioned woman isn't indeed beautiful (to some), just because she's overweight?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:26 am

Telcz wrote:Beautiful or ugly are in the eye of the beholder. Who says the mentioned woman isn't indeed beautiful (to some), just because she's overweight?

Queen seemed to agree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

:unsure:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:People don't make mother-in-law jokes any more, or at least, they've ceased to be funny.
We've had one as recently as #1009.

I think their decline is less because they're offensive, and more because modern cultural emphasis on personal freedom and independence means it's less believable to continue to be forced to interact with a distant family member you hate.

On topic, I haven't studied it in depth, but I recall reading that the majority of rapes are in fact by someone the victim was familiar with, after meeting somewhere that made sense based on their previous relationship, rather than just grabbing a random person from a dark alley. So really, regardless of how personally likely she is to be targetted, worrying about street lamps as the main source of protection is somewhat misguided, and for that matter she's probably more likely to fall victim to a different street crime like mugging.

On the other hand, this also means that statistics for those minority of rapes that do happen on the streets might break down differently from those of rapes in general... and then there's also the fact every statistician knows that there's a big difference between saying something is less likely to happen and saying it definitely won't.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
On topic, I haven't studied it in depth, but I recall reading that the majority of rapes are in fact by someone the victim was familiar with, after meeting somewhere that made sense based on their previous relationship, rather than just grabbing a random person from a dark alley. So really, regardless of how personally likely she is to be targetted, worrying about street lamps as the main source of protection is somewhat misguided, and for that matter she's probably more likely to fall victim to a different street crime like mugging.

This. Joy and I were actually talking about this on Discord. Assuming that poor lighting is setting her up to be raped is already pushing an unrealistic trope regardless of whether she's attractive or not. Even rapes where the people don't know each other beforehand are likely to be "said yes to getting in the car, did not say yes to sex" rather than literally being grabbed off the sidewalk. Changing the underlying assumption from "attractive women walking at night are rape magnets" to "any woman walking at night is a rape magnet" does not make it address sexual assault in a realistic way.

The character is already out of touch with reality anyway, and the original flows better than the suggested rewrites.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Behest
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Behest » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Oh boy, I thought my post went unnoticed and forgot about it. Now I find out a few major figures in this community have responded. Wish there was a way to get notifications for post replies. Anyway, I'll address Candlewhisper Archive's response.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:For sure, I see the potential offence there. However, as Verdant Haven says, I think the joke here is the self-delusion, rather than the implication that attractiveness determines vulnerability to sex crimes. In the modern age, anything that could imply victim-blaming in rape is deeply problematic.

I may have been harsh to imply the option is malice-based, but it's still a tasteless (and arguably disturbing) joke.
Also, of course, what was acceptable in humour once could become unacceptable over time. People don't make mother-in-law jokes any more, or at least, they've ceased to be funny. Nor is it a good taste joke now for a visual joke's punchline to be "surprise, she's ugly" (the classic old fashioned joke being the male protagonist following a woman who looks conventionally sexy, and then she turns around, reveals her face or whatever, and is hideous).

It's not only an issue of "jokes that was once acceptable and are now taboo". This is beyond the "PC Culture Is Ruining Our Comedy" debate and moving into pushing harmful ideas.
This is also humour that punches down rather than up, and isn't so much satire, but is certainly and clearly presented with the goal of humour.

Again, I don't want to imply the author wrote that option with misogynist intent or anything like that.
That in mind, we're not going to shut down this complaint dismissively.
However - and this is the point of judgement - I don't think that this joke is all that offensive. There's no direct mention of sexual assault. Also, we're not saying that she's ugly directly, we're just implying it, and riffing off her self-delusion. If the non-speech text said something like "a middle aged woman who no rapist would be interested in anyway" then that'd be awful, and would need removing. As it is, we've just described some physical features that some might judge unattractive, then presented in character speech implying that she thinks herself beautiful. That might imply a narrative that she's worried when she doesn't need to be, but that opinion is never offered by the option - it's a narrative that the reader must construct themselves.

Well, this is the point where we're coming to the crossroad known as "different interpretations". You think the humor is "Haha, the woman thinks she's beautiful while she's actually ugly!" while I think the humor is "Haha, the woman thinks she's beautiful and think someone would assault her, while she's actually ugly so no one will!". Who is right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In my opinion it meant the latter, but who knows.
There's always a danger in watering down comedy for the sake of being as inoffensive as possible, and somewhere along the way becoming unfunny. Sometimes, comedy HAS to take the hit. I was all for the issues that presented offensive transgender and traveller stereotypes being changed, and indeed those issues seem to work fine with the language modernised, even though some might feel they are now less funny.

I'm not the color-haired, man-hating SJW boogeyman that thinks we need to water down comedy that far. And I'm not going to rant about every issue I find distateful here.
However here, I think that while offence could be taken (especially if someone had the misfortune of being a victim of sexual assault), the levels of separation from an outright statement of "ugly women don't get raped" offers some protection from offensiveness, as does the fact that it's text within speech presented by a character, rather than "factual" information presented within an issue opening or description. To clarify on that, we don't take a fascist or racist character as an authorial endorsement of fascism or racism: there are allowances for the fact that opinions stated are those of fictional characters.

As said above, I wasn't implying the author wrote the option with malicious intent. I get that all issues in this website have the South Park attitude of "LOL everyone is a dumb extremist and every political ideology is stupid!" (except at least issues here make fun of libertarians too). The bigger problem is what I said - advancing the dangerous idea that ugly (or any other "traditionally" less attractive women) don't get raped. I'm not saying this issue is some kind of brainwasher that instantly makes everyone hate women. But it's still helps build that stereotype in the grand scheme of things.
Those considerations in mind, I think that it's okay for this option to remain as it is for now.
However, I thank you for raising the potential concern, and you should consider this issue to be under scrutiny rather than the concerns being dismissed.

Thank you for noticing this and replying anyway. I just made this thread to debate the merit of that option in that otherwise normal issue. While I did hope it would be changed, I'm not going to die on that hill.
Last edited by Behest on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm

A bit late here, but I had a closer look at the text of the option in question and it occurs to me that there are probably even fewer rapists who care about whether their victims is single than who care about whether their victim is pretty.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?