NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] - Blued, Screwed, and Tattooed

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[SUBMITTED] - Blued, Screwed, and Tattooed

Postby Sacara » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks for Jutsa for helping with this draft. :)
[Name] Screwed, Blued, and Tattooed
[Desc] One of your nephews was recently fired from his job for deciding to go under the needle and cover his entire arm in a sleeve of tattoos.
[Validity] allows tattoos

[option] Your nephew, flexing his arm to admire his tattoos, complains. "This is nothing more than obvious discrimination in the workplace! I was excelling at my job before I got all inked up, and the next day my boss tells me I'm fired out of nowhere! It's not like they're too outrageous or anything. You have to businesses from discriminating against those who want to express themselves!"
[effect] young children often learn harsh words from their teacher's tattoos

[option] "You can't give me a good enough reason to hire a person who decides to put something like that on their body," counters @@RANDOMNAME@@, a hiring manager at a local business. "Personally, I don't trust people who have tattoos, but that stays between you and me, @@LEADER@@. I want my employees to look professional, and a sleeve full of tattoos would freak out my customers. Businesses should be able to have the ability to fire people if they have a tattoo, and that should be final!"
[effect] job applicants are strip-searched to check for illegal ink

[option] "Oh dear, how far have we gone as a nation to let people do these terrible things to their bodies?" questions your elderly grandmother, who waited for your nephew to leave the room before she entered. "I just don't think that these people are good for our society. It probably would be best to just ban the practice of tattoos in @@NAME@@ once and for all."
[effect] tattoos have been scrubbed out
Last edited by Sacara on Sun May 30, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 am

I think the description and the option texts are all pretty reasonable. The effect texts are the ones I would want to spice up a bit.

Effect 1: I had teachers in high school 20 years ago who would show off their tattoos on request - nothing shocking there. I'd play off your nephew saying his ink is all appropriate, but wanting freedom for people who might choose less-acceptable designs. Perhaps the teachers write profane messages about bad students? Maybe they have detention or expulsion counts marked like missions on the side of an old bomber aircraft? Judges with tats that read "Hang them all!" Cops with sleeves saying "Fuck the Police." Teachers with "Suffer, little children" across their foreheads. Some consequence beyond "they have cool designs."

Effect 2: This just restates exactly what the argument was. Importantly, the business owner doesn't just say they should be allowed to hire based on tattoos, but on anything, no matter the reason. That is where the real consequence is, since based on what just happens, they already could fire people for having tattoos. An argument like this would give the potential for things like business owners trying to build staffs of Aryan Übermench because they were allowed to hire based on being blonde-haired, blue-eyed, clear-skinned, and toned. Woe betide the fully-qualified employee who dares to have been born with a feature a potential employer doesn't like.

Effect 3: Again, this feels a bit like just a dry statement of the consequence. If you're actually banning having tattoos, that implies two things to me: 1) There is some kind of very intrusive process for verifying compliance, and 2) There is a boom in voluntary removal, as well as a means of forcible removal. I think the former is more interesting for an effect line, and would probably go for something like "job applicants are strip-searched to check for illegal ink" - something that really gets at the superlative violation of rights and privacy that this is.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:56 am

Figures, I help with the effect lines and there's a problem with them. :rofl:

Honestly I was happy with "tattoos have been scrubbed out", but your suggestions really are very good. :P

(Maybe you could help me with one of mine I plan to upload in a few months)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Great thoughts, Verdant.

I've actually gone ahead and changed option two's effect line to the one you suggested for option three, as it fits better there. I also wasn't meaning to be so vague about what they can hire for at the end of option two, so I clarified that. I second Jutsa's claim to liking the last effect line -- personally, I think it's pretty funny. Option one's has been changed as well.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:17 pm

I like this issue, but there are also jobs which don't facial hair (though I'm not sure if they'd tell you about it) See if you can incorporate that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Nice, concise issue. Good premise, executed sharply. You're good at this style of issue.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Nice, concise issue. Good premise, executed sharply. You're good at this style of issue.
Thanks. :)

I like keeping things short and brief; no one wants to read a block of text while trying to answer an issue.
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Sacara wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I like keeping things short and brief; no one wants to read a block of text while trying to answer an issue.

You're not wrong there, speaking from personal experience. Still have trouble making my text more concise though. :blush:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Jutsa wrote:You're not wrong there, speaking from personal experience. Still have trouble making my text more concise though. :blush:
See, you and I are the opposite. I still remember the times when I had to write an assignment and I just couldn't make my works long enough. Some people just don't understand that you can get a message across more effectively if you use fewer words.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 am

Bump again.
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm

What about adding some kind of exception (although this could also be a follow up issue) for tattoos with spiritual/cultural significance (Maoris), or tattoos meant to cover up scar tissue (breast cancer survivors)?
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Hediacrana wrote:What about adding some kind of exception (although this could also be a follow up issue) for tattoos with spiritual/cultural significance (Maoris), or tattoos meant to cover up scar tissue (breast cancer survivors)?
Thanks for commenting on the draft! Honestly, I think those are too few and far between to include in a general issue about tattoos. However, a follow up could be made, if this gets published. :)
Commended by SC #382

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:18 pm

Nice Issue. :)

In the first option, the nephew points out that all his tattoos are appropriate, but then the effect is children learning harsh words. While it doesn't explicitly say that tattoos would have to be appropriate, isn't it a little confusing that he mention that his are?

Option 2 is about rejecting applicants, but the Issue is about firing employees. That discrepancy needs to be addressed.

"[S]olely if they have a tattoo" reads weirdly, maybe it could be re-worded.

Overall it's quite good!

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Updated. Thanks for the feedback.

Going to put this on last call and let it sit for a couple days.
Commended by SC #382

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?