NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Where there's smoke there's tires!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Xanneria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

[DRAFT] Where there's smoke there's tires!

Postby Xanneria » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

My First Attempt at an Issue
[Title] Where there's smoke there's tires!
[Desc] After the most recent season of @@NAME@@ Championship Racing Series, three of the top five drivers were sponsored by Chewing Tobacco or Cigarette companies. Parents have taken notice and want you to take action.
[Validity] Must have racetracks and legal tobacco

[Option]"My little Billy hasn't learned to talk yet, but if he did I'd imagine the first words out of his mouth would be 'Momma can I buy a pack of @@DEMONYM@@ Filter cigarettes please!' " cries a very slim looking mother named Virginia @@LASTNAME "We must not allow the tobacco companies to put advertisements on any form of race car or advertise in any sporting arena!"
[Effect]Most buskers on street corners are professional race car drivers trying to fund their careers

[Option] "Hey now!" says @@NAME@@, the third place driver in last years championship. "I happen to be friends with Wynston Kupp, the CEO of @@CAPITAL@@ Tobacco. He's been so supportive of me during my career that he put his @@ANIMAL@@ Bandit brand chewing tobacco on my car. I think we'd be ok if he continued to fund me. Plus what if a few kids smoke, whats the harm in that?"
[Effect]@@NATION@@ is home to some of the worlds fastest Tobacco advertisements!

[Option] "I have a better idea!" states Minister of Balanced Ideas @@FULLNAME@@ "Why not have the Tobacco people sponsor the car, but any toy or t-shirt with the car on it has to be censored? Best of both world I say!"
[Effect]There's a black market for uncensored toy race cars in @@NATION@@
Last edited by Xanneria on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanneria: My main nation
Teams
NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM: Maroons - Record 80-23-59 (W-D-L) (This may not be 100% accurate)
FIRST CONTEST: Copa Esportiva 23
FIRST GAME: Vangazaland 3-1 Xanneria
FIRST WIN: 5-3 vs Qingland
LARGEST MOV: 5-0 vs Pineapple Porcupines/ 7-2 vs Starcom Racing/5-0 vs HAIKU
CHAMPIONSHIPS:Baptism of Fire 69 (Nice!) winner / Group Winner CE24
Non Association Football Stats
NSCF TEAMS: Xannerian Polytechnic
NSSCRA: Cars #10,12,16

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 am

Wow! This is really good for a first-time issue! You have a great sense of humor and the effect lines aren't bad. Props for a great first draft.

However, this area is already covered by #635: Hey Kid, Have a Cigar. I strongly encourage you to ask in the Writers' Block before you draft your next issue to see if the premise has already been covered. I have confidence that you'll become a published author if you keep it up. :)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am

Sorry, Xanneria; this indeed is a very good draft, just covered already.

Hmm... though this title did give me an idea. Maybe you could write up an issue about people squealing their tires and laying rubber? :lol:
(If you don't, I will, but that's an idea you could work from)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Xanneria
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xanneria » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Ok what if I changed it around a bit to make it more about censorship? I could also bring beer and hard liquor into it.

Thanks for the kind words btw.
Last edited by Xanneria on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teams
NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM: Maroons - Record 80-23-59 (W-D-L) (This may not be 100% accurate)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Xanneria wrote:Ok what if I changed it around a bit to make it more about censorship? I could also bring beer and hard liquor into it.

You might, but I think that might be covered too
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Actually, I kinda wrote that burning rubber draft, so uh... eheh. :blush:

If you need help with any ideas, feel free to look at the writers' block, or ask a question there.
Candlewhisper Archive and I (and maybe others, idk) have factbooks, too, which have a list of ideas, if you'd like some help. :)

Again though, your writing's good. :3
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Xanneria wrote:Ok what if I changed it around a bit to make it more about censorship? I could also bring beer and hard liquor into it.

It might be salvageable by emphasizing the elements that are not about advertising to kids. I dunno... Do we have any issues about sports sponsors that are controversial for other reasons? Like if it's an organization that has a reputation for being racist? I know you were talking about RPing something like that in NSSCRA, but it might work as an issue too if it's not already done.

As others have said, you should not give up on issues-writing. This draft is good for a first try.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:46 am

Welcome to the forum, and this is a great first effort!

Looking much more unique now it's about sports sponsorship.

What I'd suggest is keeping previous drafts in the OP, behind a collapsed spoiler. That way the comments of posters continue to make sense even after you make your change. Right now, it looks like Sacara is complaining about an overlap that no longer exists.

[Title] Where there's smoke there's tires!
[Desc] After the most recent season of @@NAME@@ Championship Racing Series, three of the top five drivers were sponsored by Chewing Tobacco or Cigarette companies. Parents have taken notice and want you to take action.

Why parents? I suggest change to anti-smoking lobbyists.

[Validity] Must have racetracks and legal tobacco

[Option]"My little Billy hasn't learned to talk yet, but if he did I'd imagine the first words out of his mouth would be 'Momma can I buy a pack of @@DEMONYM@@ Filter cigarettes please!' " cries a very slim looking mother named Virginia @@LASTNAME "We must not allow the tobacco companies to put advertisements on any form of race car or advertise in any sporting arena!"
[Effect]Most buskers on street corners are professional race car drivers trying to fund their careers

Again, this makes no sense for this to be about kids. F1 fans tend to be adults, and while little boys may like fast cars, they generally don't have the patience to watch a 1-2 hour race.

[Option] "Hey now!" says @@NAME@@, the third place driver in last years championship. "I happen to be friends with Wynston Kupp, the CEO of @@CAPITAL@@ Tobacco. He's been so supportive of me during my career that he put his @@ANIMAL@@ Bandit brand chewing tobacco on my car. I think we'd be ok if he continued to fund me. Plus what if a few kids smoke, whats the harm in that?"
[Effect]@@NATION@@ is home to some of the worlds fastest Tobacco advertisements!

This option doesn't actually do anything proactively, so needs to have some direct action built into it.

[Option] "I have a better idea!" states Minister of Balanced Ideas @@FULLNAME@@ "Why not have the Tobacco people sponsor the car, but any toy or t-shirt with the car on it has to be censored? Best of both world I say!"
[Effect]There's a black market for uncensored toy race cars in @@NATION@@

This option still has the weird thing of being worried about children.

Generally, you may want to check out the How To Write An Issue thread, as this'll help you nail the right format and macros. That's just fine detail of course - more importantly, you should look to get the underlying story in shape, and I think the core to that is taking out the premise that this is about protecting children.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Welcome to the forum, and this is a great first effort!

Looking much more unique now it's about sports sponsorship.

What I'd suggest is keeping previous drafts in the OP, behind a collapsed spoiler. That way the comments of posters continue to make sense even after you make your change. Right now, it looks like Sacara is complaining about an overlap that no longer exists.

I think you and Sacara just disagree about how bad the overlap is. This always had a racing sponsorship angle cos Xanneria's a big racing fan.

But yeah... Parts of it overlap #635, but other parts of it don't, and there is probably a way to use the parts that don't overlap.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 am

I don't think there is overlap with 635, but I swear there was another issue that mentioned specifically sports sponsorships.

Either way, this is a great submission for a first timer!

How many children actually watch racing? Not sure about how much this would affect them. That said, I can imagine medical professionals, anti-smoking activists and the puritan types would be the ones who'd get up in arms about something like this.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Chan Island wrote:I don't think there is overlap with 635, but I swear there was another issue that mentioned specifically sports sponsorships.

I can't remember for sure if there is an issue about sports sponsorship, and my attempt to search the spoiler thread did not bring one up. There is an issue about plastering ads on buses, but I think this is different enough.

We had an NSG thread about a company with questionable environmental practices that was sponsoring a Little League team, but that was NSG.

Either way, this is a great submission for a first timer!

How many children actually watch racing? Not sure about how much this would affect them. That said, I can imagine medical professionals, anti-smoking activists and the puritan types would be the ones who'd get up in arms about something like this.

Even if kids don't have the patience to watch a whole race, they might still be playing with toys based on the cars.

But I think a general racing sponsorship issue without the focus on kids would be stronger. You could still follow the pattern of

option 1: restrict who can sponsor a car
option 2: let anybody that wants sponsor
option 3: anybody can sponsor a car, but merchandise is censored

I might add a 4th option to make the racing league government sponsored instead of relying on corporate money.
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Xanneria
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xanneria » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Again, this makes no sense for this to be about kids. F1 fans tend to be adults, and while little boys may like fast cars, they generally don't have the patience to watch a 1-2 hour race.

In fairness this was more based off of NASCAR where there are a lot of young fans. In fact kids are a big part of the current NASCAR ad campaigns.

That being said I'm going to completely re-do this issue and make it based off of a fairly controversial but obscure NASCAR car that had it's sponsor banned in 1993
Teams

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?