NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] How Common!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 am

Can't seem to find it in the accepted or rejected folder, nor any editor's personal folder, and all the issues from the last 2 years should be in one of those. So maybe you never sent it in.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:24 am

Here we go:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=423884

Doesn't look like the draft ever finished, perhaps because I was taking potshots at it.

For the record, this draft here is far stronger.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Here we go:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=423884
Doesn't look like the draft ever finished, perhaps because I was taking potshots at it.
For the record, this draft here is far stronger.

Thank you.
Okay, I'll think about a fourth (pro-peat) option tonight... probably with a Primitiveness validity.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 am

New draft (now with four options) posted.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Aclion wrote:Why would a law related to giving poor people a source of winter fuel give people the right to take turf? Did people used to burn turf?

Yes.

Oh, peat. That stuff is quite different from the sort of turf you'd get in a park though. It's compressed moss from a bog.
Last edited by Aclion on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:36 am

Aclion wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Yes.

Oh, peat. That stuff is quite different from the sort of turf you'd get in a park though. It's compressed moss from a bog.

Yes, but in places where there wasn't peat the right did apply to ordinary turf -- which was still better than having no fuel at all (especially as it would probably have been from "unimproved" grassland, with more longer roots & more dead material present than in modern park lawns, in those days) -- as well.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am

Bears Armed wrote:[Option]″That old ′Right of Turbary′ applies not only to turf but to peat — which is a significantly better fuel — as well, doesn′t it?″ enquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Natural Resources. ″This gives me an idea. There’s LOTS of peat up in the northern moors, so if you pass a law declaring the State to have this Right there, regardless of who actually owns the land itself, then we could quarry it for use in those new power stations we need instead of having to import more oil…″
[Validity]nation does not use nuclear power (and has at least a moderate level of Primitiveness?)
[Effect]the hills are alive to the sound of excavators[/box]
The first sentence here reads weirdly. Would this be better?
"That old 'Right of Turbary' applies not only to turf but to peat, as well, doesn't it?" enquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Natural Resources. "This gives me an idea. Peat's a much better fuel, and there's LOTS of it up in the northern moors, so...
You might also strike 'Natural' from the Minister's title; Minister of Resources sounds fine, and less conservationist.

Also: "The hills are alive with the sound of" excavators.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:26 am

Far Tholk wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:[Option]″That old ′Right of Turbary′ applies not only to turf but to peat — which is a significantly better fuel — as well, doesn′t it?″ enquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Natural Resources. ″This gives me an idea. There’s LOTS of peat up in the northern moors, so if you pass a law declaring the State to have this Right there, regardless of who actually owns the land itself, then we could quarry it for use in those new power stations we need instead of having to import more oil…″
[Validity]nation does not use nuclear power (and has at least a moderate level of Primitiveness?)
[Effect]the hills are alive to the sound of excavators[/box]
The first sentence here reads weirdly. Would this be better?
"That old 'Right of Turbary' applies not only to turf but to peat, as well, doesn't it?" enquires @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Natural Resources. "This gives me an idea. Peat's a much better fuel, and there's LOTS of it up in the northern moors, so...
YEs, that would be better... although I'll insert "than turf" just after the "better fuel" in this version.

Far Tholk wrote:You might also strike 'Natural' from the Minister's title; Minister of Resources sounds fine, and less conservationist.
'Minister of Resources' sounds too generic and all-encompassing to me, I'd rather leave the 'Natural' in.
Also, leaving that in so makes the likely abbreviated label for this position 'MNR' which could be seen appropriately as a contraction of 'Miner'... ^_^

Far Tholk wrote:Also: "The hills are alive with the sound of" excavators.
Oops! Thank you, I'll fix that.

EDIT: Changes made, as version 2.1.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 am

Unless anybody else comes up with a useful suggestions, I'll probably submit this in a few days' time. (Sunday or Monday, I expect...)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:34 am

REALLY LAST CALL: Just three hours left for comments, now, until I plan on submitting this...

EDIT: SUBMITTED.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Far Tholk
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Far Tholk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Good luck! I really like this Issue and I'm glad I could help you work on it. :)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck!

Thank you.
Far Tholk wrote:Good luck! I really like this Issue and I'm glad I could help you work on it. :)

Thank you for both the hope and the help.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?