NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Ai Yai Yai, Calypso!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Ai Yai Yai, Calypso!

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 pm

This is the part where I shamelessly plug my favorite movie, Wag the Dog.

Draft 3:
[name] Ai Yai Yai, Calypso!

[description] West Calypso President Victor Sánchez, infamous for being hopelessly corrupt, has taken a new approach towards his falling approval ratings — faking an international incident. A team of intelligence agents have returned from the tiny tropical island in disbelief, detailing how Sánchez fabricated a hostage situation at a non-existant @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ embassy, going so far as to distribute doctored images and press releases. The smear campaign has been so effective that even @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are beginning to grow alarmed at the constant 'news' updates.

[option] "Is this a joke?" grumbles @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of @@NAME@@'s top diplomats. "I get that @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ don't really follow the international news, but Sánchez's affair with his secretary made the '@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ Examiner'. The man is a dangerous manipulator whose narrative needs to be squashed before any more damage occurs. It's worth trying to take advantage of his corruption by giving him a huge payout in exchange for ending this charade. My team of diplomats have a large case of @@CURRENCY@@ ready for transport."
[effect] tinpot dictators brag about @@NAME@@'s willingness to pay their ransom demands

[option] "Wait a darn second!" exlaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your press secretary. "Are you telling me that we can just make things up? And it works? Why bother doing things diplomatically when you can just respond to West Calypso's lies with whatever you want? Next time their government makes a statement about the fake incident, just respond by claiming that Sánchez's government is about to release a biological weapon in retaliation or something. Baffle 'em with bull and you'll confuse them right out of the game."
[effect] government reports are structured like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game

[option] "I would not give them any ideas," sternly warns General @@RANDOMNAME@@, consulting a topographical map of the West Calypsoan island. "I am concerned that Sánchez is using this false panic as a pretense to pursue military action against @@NAME@@. West Calypso is not a formidable power on their own, but I have sources that claim that Blackacre has been using the island as a proxy to pursue regional interests. Rather than risk a serious threat, my recommendation is to dispose of Victor Sánchez through a coup d'etat and install a more truthful leader willing to follow our lead."
[effect] the nation's primary export is the Banana Republic

Draft 2

[description] West Calypso President Victor Sánchez, infamous for being hopelessly corrupt, has taken a new approach towards his falling approval ratings — faking an international incident. A team of intelligence agents have returned from the tiny tropical island in disbelief, detailing how Sánchez fabricated a hostage situation at a non-existant @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ embassy in order to manipulate the public. The West Calypsoan government has already gone so far to distribute doctored photographs and press releases of the 'catastrophe'. Though your aides initially dismissed this as the ravings of a tinpot dictator, @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ diplomats are warning that @@NAME@@ is beginning to lose credibility on the international stage.

[option] "We're losing crediblity?" grumbles @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of @@NAME@@'s top diplomats. "How do they not see this as the transparent ruse it is? Sánchez was caught in an affair with his secretary just last week, so I can't say I'm surprised to see him misdirect public opinion again. The surprising bit is just how brazen this lie is. Sánchez has a sheet of scandals a mile long: embezzlement, nepotism, pay-for-play, you name it. He can't run out the clock with diversions forever. My team of diplomats has come up with a plan: We meet with Sánchez and present his rap sheet. He backtracks the lie or we'll publicly broadcast the information to the World. It may be blackmail, but I guarantee we'll be effective."
[effect] foreign governments laugh at the moralizing naivety of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ diplomats

[option] "Wait a darn second!" exlaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your press secretary. "Are you telling me that we can just make things up? And it works? Why bother doing things diplomatically when you can just respond to West Calypso's lies with whatever you want? Next time their government makes a statement about the fake incident, just respond by claiming that President Sánchez smells funny or something. Baffle 'em with bull and you'll confuse them right out of the game."
[effect] government reports are structured like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game

[option] "I would not be so cavalier," sternly warns General @@RANDOMNAME@@, consulting a topographical map of West Calypso. "I am concerned that Sánchez is using this false panic as a pretense to pursue military action against @@NAME@@. West Calypso is not a formidable power on their own, but I have sources that claim that Blackacre has been using the island as a proxy to pursue regional interests. Rather than risk a serious threat, my recommendation is to dispose of Victor Sánchez through a coup d'etat and install a more truthful leader willing to follow our lead."
[effect] the nation's primary export is the Banana Republic

[/box]

[description] West Calypso President Victor Sánchez, infamous for being hopelessly corrupt, has taken a new approach towards his falling approval ratings — faking an international incident. A team of intelligence agents have returned from the tiny tropical island in disbelief, detailing how Sánchez fabricated a hostage situation at a non-existant @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ embassy in order to manipulate the public. This ruse having not been caught for a couple days, the West Calypsoan government has already gone so far to distribute doctored photographs and press releases of the 'catastrophe'.

[option] "What a transparent ruse," grumbles @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of @@NAME@@'s top diplomats. "Sánchez was caught in an affair with his secretary just last week, so I can't say I'm surprised to see him misdirect public opinion again. The surprising bit is just how brazen this lie is. Sánchez has a sheet of scandals a mile long: embezzlement, nepotism, pay-for-play, you name it. He can't run out the clock with diversions forever. My team of diplomats has come up with a plan: We meet with Sánchez and present his rap sheet. He backtracks the lie or we'll publicly broadcast the information to the West Calypsoan people. It may be blackmail, but I guarantee we'll be effective."
[effect] foreign governments laugh at the moralizing naivety of @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ diplomats

[option] "Wait a darn second!" exlaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, your press secretary. "Are you telling me that we can just make things up? And it works? Why bother doing things diplomatically when you can just respond to West Calypso's lies with whatever you want? Next time their government makes a statement about the fake incident, just respond by claiming that President Sánchez smells funny or something. Baffle 'em with bull and you'll confuse them right out of the game."

[option] "I would not be so cavalier," sternly warns General @@RANDOMNAME@@, consulting a topographical map of West Calypso. "I am concerned that Sánchez is using this false panic as a pretense to pursue military action against @@NAME@@. West Calypso is not a formidable power on their own, but I have sources that claim that Blackacre has been using the island as a proxy to pursue regional interests. Rather than risk a serious threat, my recommendation is to dispose of Victor Sánchez through a coup d'etat and install a more truthful leader willing to follow our lead."
[effect] the primary export is Banana Republics
Last edited by Altmer Dominion on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Option 1- how do you plan to inform the people of West Calypso?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- how do you plan to inform the people of West Calypso?

Changed the wording slightly.
Issues Authored

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 am

Is option 1 the war option? Because the real West Calypso considers even the smallest act of transgression as an excuse to go to war.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Minoa wrote:Is option 1 the war option? Because the real West Calypso considers even the smallest act of transgression as an excuse to go to war.

Could you briefly explain what you mean by the "real" West Calypso? In the NS Verse, the island is very much a blank slate vaguely referenced in #985.
Issues Authored

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Altmer Dominion wrote:
Minoa wrote:Is option 1 the war option? Because the real West Calypso considers even the smallest act of transgression as an excuse to go to war.

Could you briefly explain what you mean by the "real" West Calypso? In the NS Verse, the island is very much a blank slate vaguely referenced in #985.

Sorry, I incorrectly said "real", when I meant to refer to the gameplay nation that I run. I never meant to say that you must add a "war" option, but it is worth considering — usually through increased military spending or an increase in the percentage of deaths due to war.

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Minoa wrote:
Altmer Dominion wrote:Could you briefly explain what you mean by the "real" West Calypso? In the NS Verse, the island is very much a blank slate vaguely referenced in #985.

Sorry, I incorrectly said "real", when I meant to refer to the gameplay nation that I run. I never meant to say that you must add a "war" option, but it is worth considering — usually through increased military spending or an increase in the percentage of deaths due to war.

I considered a bombing/invasion scenario just to round out the Cold War theme, but decided against it. Regime change could be considered a small-scale variant.
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Any other comments?
Issues Authored

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Nothing from me. I love it. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 am

[description] West Calypso President Victor Sánchez, infamous for being hopelessly corrupt, has taken a new approach towards his falling approval ratings — faking an international incident. A team of intelligence agents have returned from the tiny tropical island in disbelief, detailing how Sánchez fabricated a hostage situation at a non-existant @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ embassy in order to manipulate the public. This ruse having not been caught for a couple days, the West Calypsoan government has already gone so far to distribute doctored photographs and press releases of the 'catastrophe'.

Hmmm...

Sorry, to me it reads as this:

In a banana republic, the corrupt dictator did something corrupt. This event had no bearing on @@NAME@@.

So where's the issue?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

Hmmm...

Sorry, to me it reads as this:

In a banana republic, the corrupt dictator did something corrupt. This event had no bearing on @@NAME@@.

So where's the issue?

I've made my thoughts more explicit in the description. Seems to have pushed the paragraph to be a tad long, but that's the gist of it.
Issues Authored

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Altmer Dominion wrote:
Minoa wrote:Sorry, I incorrectly said "real", when I meant to refer to the gameplay nation that I run. I never meant to say that you must add a "war" option, but it is worth considering — usually through increased military spending or an increase in the percentage of deaths due to war.

I considered a bombing/invasion scenario just to round out the Cold War theme, but decided against it. Regime change could be considered a small-scale variant.

That’s okay. You could add more Chavismo to West Calypso’s government. :)

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Glad I returned to this. New description and first option illustrates the conflict better.
Issues Authored

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 am

Option 2. NAME has been, falsely, accused of serious misconduct, kidnapping of a head of state. But your only response is to say "you smell"?

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:43 am

Baggieland wrote:Option 2. NAME has been, falsely, accused of serious misconduct, kidnapping of a head of state. But your only response is to say "you smell"?

That is a good point. Changed the line, along with the beginning of 3.
Issues Authored

Sresia
Civilian

Founded: Jan 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sresia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:45 am

Just a suggestion, but I'd slightly change the last option's effect line to "@@NAME@@'s primary export is..." or "The nation's primary export is..."

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 am

Sresia wrote:Just a suggestion, but I'd slightly change the last option's effect line to "@@NAME@@'s primary export is..." or "The nation's primary export is..."

Due to the layout of the national happenings page, placing @@NAME@@ at the beginning of an effect line is redundant. That said, I've repurposed the effect line based on your feedback.

In any case, I'm planning on submitted soon. Last call for feedback.
Issues Authored

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Submitted.
Issues Authored

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:22 am

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:43 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?