NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] Back Lash Backlash

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] Back Lash Backlash

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:12 pm

I always wondered why the torture policy wasn't explored more... :P

Title: Back Lash Backlash
The Issue: The progressive nation of Skandilund is threatening to place trade sanctions on your nation due to their strong stance against interrogative torture.
Validity: Chain from 44.1, 207.1 (unless a better secret police issue chains from this)

Option 1: "It's nothing against you, @@LEADER@@. It's just that we don't want our nation or our trades to be associated with... well, torture," shivers @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prim and proper diplomat from Skandilund, grimacing at what appear to be visible red marks on one of your aides, which fortunately is just a coffee burn. "You understand, don't you? We trade with you, and we lose trade with other nations. Of course, if you considered abolishing these medieval practices... I'm sure we could set this matter aside, and even encourage our allies to trade with you."
[effect] small trading partners plan changes to @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ criminal law

Option 2: "Ouch, sly, an ultimatum," your coffee-burned aide says, grimacing at what appear to be visible marks on the diplomat from spending too much time in a sauna. You excuse the diplomat to speak to your aide in private. "How's about, instead of changing our way of doing things, they change their attitude? If they're too soft and touchy to be 'associated' with us, then forget about them. Heck, we'll declare them our rivals. Maybe we can consider trading with Blackacre; sure, they're destitute and horrible, but they're not snobs like these cold-hearted forest bumpkins."
[effect] a few small laws have led to @@NAME@@ having criminal trade partners

Option 3: "Just pretend to end and renounce torture!" exclaims your Minister of Torture. "All we'll need to do is officially arrest them, hide them somewhere, torture and interrogate them for answers, and kill them when we're done using them! If anyone escapes, they can be considered a wack and arrested for defacing our nation. Win-win! Unless we get caught, but what are the chances of that happening?"
[effect] the sounds of thrashing chains and blood-curdling screams are small kinks that need to be worked out
[Flag Change] Capital Punishment?

Title: Back Lash Backlash
The Issue: The progressive nation of Skandilund is threatening to place trade sanctions on your nation due to their strong stance against physical punishment for crimes.
Validity: Must have corporal punishment

Option 1: "It's nothing against you, @@LEADER@@. It's just that we don't want our nation or our trades to be associated with... well, torture," shivers @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prim and proper diplomat from Skandilund, grimacing at what appear to be visible red marks on one of your aides, which fortunately is just a coffee burn. "You understand, don't you? We trade with you, and we lose trade with other nations. Of course, if you considered ending corporal punishment... I'm sure we could set this matter aside, and even encourage our allies to trade with you."
[effect] small trading partners plan changes to @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ criminal law
[Flag Change] Removes Corporal Punishment

Option 2: "Ouch, sly, an ultimatum," your coffee-burned aide says, grimacing at what appear to be visible marks on the diplomat from spending too much time in a sauna. You excuse the diplomat to speak to your aide in private. "How's about, instead of changing our laws, they change their attitude? If they're too soft and touchy to be 'associated' with us, then forget about them. Heck, we'll declare them our rivals. Maybe we can consider trading with Blackacre; sure, they're destitute and horrible, but they're not snobs like these cold-hearted forest bumpkins."
[effect] a few small laws have led to @@NAME@@ having criminal trade partners

Option 3: "Just pretend to end and renounce torture!" exclaims your Minister of Torture. "All we'll need to do is hide our criminals somewhere, and kill them when we're done! If anyone escapes, they can be considered a wack and taken to the coocoo farm. Win-win! Unless we get caught, but what are the chances of that happening?"
[effect] the sounds of thrashing chains and blood-curdling screams are small kinks that need to be worked out
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Corporal punishment for crimes would be rather less effective as a deterrent if people don't know they'll face corporal punishment if they commit crimes.

Also, note that "torture" initially brings to mind interrogative torture, not punitive torture. In fact, the issue that's most explicitly about torture, #44, doesn't set the Corporal Punishment flag. You may want to rephrase a little in light of that.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Corporal punishment for crimes would be rather less effective as a deterrent if people don't know they'll face corporal punishment if they commit crimes.

Also, note that "torture" initially brings to mind interrogative torture, not punitive torture. In fact, the issue that's most explicitly about torture, #44, doesn't set the Corporal Punishment flag. You may want to rephrase a little in light of that.

Definitely with this entire point.

Option 3: "Just pretend to end and renounce torture!" exclaims your Minister of Torture. "All we'll need to do is hide our criminals somewhere, and kill them when we're done! If anyone escapes, they can be considered a wack and taken to the coocoo farm. Win-win! Unless we get caught, but what are the chances of that happening?"

It seems a but R-Level in the effect, why not change it to something more tame like "the sounds of cracking whips and pained screams are small kinks that need to be worked out". That is obviously not that important, and you might also want to clear that validity is most definitely not for class nations.

Also, the wording "they can be considered a wack and taken to the coocoo farm" should be considered. I had to look up what this meant because I hadn't heard it prior to today. If urban dictionary is right, then that (what I underlined) is most definitely not appropriate for most things. Kind of horrifying actually.

On the whole, I really like it. As a first draft, it is significantly better than most first drafts I come up with.
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 pm

What about reversing Touture
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:42 am

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:

It seems a but R-Level in the effect, why not change it to something more tame like "the sounds of cracking whips and pained screams are small kinks that need to be worked out". That is obviously not that important, and you might also want to clear that validity is most definitely not for class nations.

The effect line is fine as-is.

Overt references to sex and potentially strong language would be more of a concern (but drive-by references, which only make sense in context, have been used in effect lines of issues that aren't for class nations). "Blood-curdling" is not strong (it's been used in an issue with no restrictions at all). Blood has been referenced in other effect lines.

Good issue, Jutsa.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:57 am

Trot wrote:Corporal punishment for crimes would be rather less effective as a deterrent if people don't know they'll face corporal punishment if they commit crimes.

... good point. :rofl:

I mean, people who'd pick this option would purposefully be torturing and then killing 'em, and the death part's kinda hard to hide,
so uh, yeah, I guess that'd be enough of a deterrent.

Course, then Skandilund would know you commit capital punishment, but... eh?
Not entirely sure about this 'un, but I did add the option last minute so it's got some kinks to work out. I'm sorry
Got any suggestions on that 'un? :P

Trot wrote:Also, note that "torture" initially brings to mind interrogative torture, not punitive torture. In fact, the issue that's most explicitly about torture, #44, doesn't set the Corporal Punishment flag. You may want to rephrase a little in light of that.

And torture's not tracked as a policy...? Is it at least tracked as a flag?
Because this seems like an issue that'd arise for both kinds of nations, maybe I can add a bit of both to this? :lol:

NKC wrote:Also, the wording "they can be considered a wack and taken to the coocoo farm" should be considered. I had to look up what this meant because I hadn't heard it prior to today. If urban dictionary is right, then that (what I underlined) is most definitely not appropriate for most things. Kind of horrifying actually.

It was supposed to reference an asylum for the mentally insane, but uh... good point. Something that could work is they could be arrested again and punished the same way. >_>
In fact, yah, I'll go ahead and swap that out.

NKC wrote:As a first draft, it is significantly better than most first drafts I come up with.
lol thanks. I really would stop by and look at the other drafts but I've had some difficulty with words lately and am just getting back into GI. :blush:

Aussie wrote:What about reversing Touture

Indeed, yah, I'm thinking about having it for torture and corporal punishment if possible. Idk if it would be though...

FJS wrote:Good issue, Jutsa.

Awh, thanks. <3
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 am

Jutsa wrote:
Trot wrote:Also, note that "torture" initially brings to mind interrogative torture, not punitive torture. In fact, the issue that's most explicitly about torture, #44, doesn't set the Corporal Punishment flag. You may want to rephrase a little in light of that.

And torture's not tracked as a policy...? Is it at least tracked as a flag?
Because this seems like an issue that'd arise for both kinds of nations, maybe I can add a bit of both to this? :lol:

Torture is not currently tracked as a separate policy.

Maybe it could be chained from #44 (No Pain, No Gain)?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:47 am

Would it be possible to both chain from that issue and be activated with a corporal punishment flag*? :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Jutsa wrote:Would it be possible to both chain from that issue and be activated with a corporal punishment flag*? :P

Not with the current policy coding available to us. Sorry.

The only way it would work is if you find any current corporal punishment options that explictly advocate torture. Then this could be chained from those, too.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 am

Hmm, yah, that'd definitely complicate the one about the lemonade stand I submitted then... >_>

Kinda surprised that "link" OR "policy" wouldn't work, but I guess it makes sense that it wouldn't either if I even asked in the first place. :P

Wellh, I suppose I'll reword this so it's solely about torture then. After all, we've already got a reversal or two for corporal punishment, but no followup to interrogative torture. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 am

Updated! (mostly option 3)

742 can basically add torture, too, but alas, it's in an issue chain, so it doesn't really work.
I don't suppose torture could become a tracked flag, could it? :P

Wasn't sure about 207.1 either, given a secret police followup'd probably be better, though... a flag could work around that too. :rofl:

Still wasn't entirely certain about option 3, whether it would really add corporal punishment or if it's even really solid enough as-is. :blush:
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 am

Bump~

Was going to do this on Christmas, but...

well, Christmas >.>

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:28 am

Not much I can find on it, Jutsa. Looks good to go.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:44 am

Aw, thanks. <3

I'll leave this up for maybe another half-week. Pretty confident about this one, myself. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Could be the lemon-ginger tea getting to me, but I've decided to submit this now.

Thank you all for your help. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Good luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 am

Best wishes.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 pm

I’d wish good luck, but I’m not sure this one needs it. ;)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?