NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] Straight to the Box Office?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[DISCARDED] Straight to the Box Office?

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 pm

I cannot think of a third option right away, so if anyone would like to suggest an idea for one, please go ahead.
[Name] Straight to the Box Office?
[Desc] The international, highly controversial hit movie Cowboy Mountain, a raunchy drama about a pair of young men realizing their true sexualities, is set to be released across @@NAME@@ later this week. Some, however, are questioning whether the film should be allowed to be shown in the first place.
[Validity] high social conservatism

[option] "Do you really want our younger generation to be exposed to such heresy?" complains your uncle, who is known for his social intolerance. "I, for one, would not let my children anywhere near the movie. Think of what they will start trying to do if they were exposed to such moral corruption! You need to ban this and any other movie like it from being shown in @@NAME@@, for the good of the kids."
[effect] any movie with the word 'closet' in the title has been preemptively banned

[option] "Oh, please, there are many movies about illegal bank robberies, yet those aren't banned," rebuts your niece, who's really looking forward to seeing the movie. "If they don’t like it, they don’t have to go to it. There isn't anything harmful about just going to see a movie, though, is there? Plus, I heard critics just love it. Say, why don't you come with me to watch at its premiere? It will be a fabulous time!"
[effect] @@LEADER@@ attends all the pink carpet movie premieres
Last edited by Sacara on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:21 pm

We have issues about general sex in movies. Not sure if this would overlap.

Also, we do have a “heterosexuality” policy, which would be more appropriate as a validity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Why is this an issue? If homosexuality is legal, then this movie is legal. If homosexuality is illegal, then so is this program
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is this an issue? If homosexuality is legal, then this movie is legal. If homosexuality is illegal, then so is this program

That’s not good logic.

You’re perfectly fine (in most countries) to show movies with murder in them. Almost none allow murder, however
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why is this an issue? If homosexuality is legal, then this movie is legal. If homosexuality is illegal, then so is this program

That’s not good logic.

You’re perfectly fine (in most countries) to show movies with murder in them. Almost none allow murder, however

Yea, but the murder is depicted as a criminal
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Yea, but the murder is depicted as a criminal
You sure? Plenty of stories at least glorify vigilantism, which the real-life police still takes a dim view on (usually).

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:53 pm

That said there are exceptions. For instance, glorifying racism is still very much not allowed... at least, I think.
Whereas a documentary about something like that would be allowed.

That said, particularly for very conservative or authoritarian nations, just having something illegal in the movie could be questionable.
Course, this could also include terrorism, murder, racism, drinking booze, eating meat, breathing... y'know, anything that can be banned.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:15 pm

The premise really, really reminds me of #1066. Not the same exact topic, to be sure, but it feels quite similar in introduction and presentation.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Jutsa wrote:That said there are exceptions. For instance, glorifying racism is still very much not allowed... at least, I think.
And then there's debates about what counts as racism. If a movie depicts orcs as all being evil monsters deserving of death, do you complain about how it implicitly encourages racism, or do you shrug it off because there are no real orcs who might take offense? What if the orcs have mannerisms suspiciously resembling a particular real-life ethnicity (or the stereotypes about it), without ever explicitly being that ethnicity?

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Candensia wrote:The premise really, really reminds me of #1066. Not the same exact topic, to be sure, but it feels quite similar in introduction and presentation.

I knew it looked familiar. Though there's not an exact movie theatre analogue, couldn't help reading through and questioning a sense of déjà vu.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Yep, forgot about 1066.

Discarding this draft.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?